Impact

Heart to Heart

San Josè, United States of America, 2010

As the bus travelled across the distance between San Josè and Mountain View, Gayoon sat silent on the chair.

Mountain View was silent as always, and their ears only listened to the soft moans of the wind and to a few of voices that came from far away.

Once she got off the bus, the sandy-haired girl started walking at a fast pace on the cobblestone, passing through the few blocks that divided the bus stop and the address that Sohyun had written on the piece of paper she held.

The fear almost made her tremble, even if she tried not to fidget too much.

She was scared she had chased after the wrong woman.

Maybe Rebecca was just another busy woman who didn't have the time to call the girls she s with, or maybe she couldn't because she's engaged or even married.

Gayoon took the last turning point, and stepped on the sidewalks of the street. The address written on the sheet was the second house on the right.

The terraced house didn't seem the house of a married woman, though. No toys lay on the garden, the windows were barely embellished with a few flower pots and the grass was unkempt.

Through the glasses passed a dim light, as a sign that someone was at home.

Taking a long sigh, Gayoon walked to the door and rang the bell. She didn't know what to do, what to say when the blond girl would have opened the door, but she had to see her.

She heard the noise of steps inside. Someone neared to the door.

Almost holding her breath, prey to the desire to run away, Gayoon waited for the wooden door to swing open and let her see the person who had turned the doorknob.

The person who stood there was not Rebecca.

The thin girl was not even blond, not even American. According to her facial features, she must have been Japanese and her swollen eyes clearly showed that she had cried a few earlier.

"Oh..." - She said - "...it's you..."

Gayoon didn't know the skinny girl, but apparently she knew her. - "I..." - Gayoon started shyly began, trying to put together a sentence - "I was looking for Rebecca..."

"Don't struggle uselessly... I speak korean" - The Japanese girl said. - "Do you seriously want to tell me that you don't know where Rebecca is?"

Gayoon shook the head, denying.

"Arrested" - She just whispered - "Two policemen convoyed her to the preventive custody an hour ago..."

 

The day after, Evening, San Josè, Fahrenheit

The restaurant was crowded with people, and a warm atmosphere embraced the two girls who sat in front of each other at the table.

The place was decorated nicely, in a glitzy way, and the walls were covered with paintings and ornamental flowers.  Hyuna and Skye sat behind a divider, enjoying the last course of the meal.

"Seeing what I am going to pay..." - Skye began - "...I hope I am forgiven for what I told you the other night..." - She added.

Hyuna faked a pout, sniggering at her - "Ehi, you don't have anything to be forgiven for, ok?" - She laughed - "We're friends, I accept you as you are and you do the same with me... I don't doubt this".

Skye lowered her gaze a little bit, biting her lips.

"I understand you, anyway" - Hyuna continued, seeking for the other girl's eyes with her gaze - "Your female friend likes girls and you feel like this could ruin your friendship because she could have feelings for you, isn't it?"

The golden-haired girl gave her a slight nod.

"This is what I have felt for years, since I've been sharing a room with Gayoon, who is the gayest female friend one could have..." - Hyuna grinned - "Over time, I got used to it..."

"But she turned you gay..." - Skye weakly objected, making her friend chuckle.

"It's definitively not because of her... I guess I have been gay for a lot time, I just didn't want to accept it because I was too young" - She stated - "I wasn't supposed to have boyfriends either, so it was easy to hide. Now I'm eighteen. I have grown..."

Hyuna went back eating the food she had on the dish.

The girl had almost finished when she noticed that another couple was taking place on the table in front of theirs, only separated by the divider that Hyuna could see through anyway.

Amber's blue eyes and brownish hair were unmistakable, and her clothing was a little bit quaint, not to say weird.

Hyuna kept spying the two girls suspiciously. She remembers what Amber had said to Jiyoon... I wanted to warn you that I won't be able to spend the night you tomorrow, I have a birthday party.

She didn't seem to be at a birthday party, though.

Amber looked comfortable and she had that annoying smile Hyuna had not seen her with before, as she kept chuckling with the dark-haired girl who gave them her shoulders.

"Hyun..." - Skye said, making Hyuna snap back to reality - "What are you looking at?"

"Amber cheats on Jiyoon with one of Jiyoon's friends" - Hyuna bluntly said - "And I am using all my strength not to crush my fists on her face..."

Skye eyed the couple who sat behind the divider - "Are you sure they are really cheating? I mean... Amber's always been close to Minji, I always see them together in the bar Minji works at..."

Hyuna shook her head - "Amber lied to Jiyoon that she was going to attend a birthday part on their first anniversary day as a couple..." - She scornfully said.

With one eye she saw Minji and Amber leave the table and go towards the toilettes - "This is enough... I'm going to talk with her" - She announced to her friend, who stood up to follow her.

"Don't you think we shouldn't trigger strife here?" - Skye asked, but Hyuna was unshakable. 

She was blinded by hatred for that girl who dared to cheat on the girl she was in love with.

The chestnut-haired girl fastened her pace, heading towards the toilettes that the two girls had gone to a few minutes earlier, and opened the door of the restroom with strength.

Some moans could be heard already, making her even angrier.

"Hey, you !" - She yelled, making Amber jump - "How do you dare to cheat on her like this?"

Hyuna pounced on Amber, clenching her fists and hitting on the face the girl, who groaned.

Driven by rage, the girl had hit violently the other girl, but she was not strong enough to have a significant impact. Amber was way stronger and more shaped than her, and after a few hits overwhelmed her.

"How dare you..." - Amber said - "Mind your own business, occasionally, would you?"

Amber gave her another kick in the ribs, getting her another pulsation of pain - "You don't even know her, ok? You only get to follow her around pathetically; you don't know what she does to me..."

"Let's go, Minji... I don't have time for this..."