Security issue

Heart to Heart

San Josè, United States of America, 2010

It was late afternoon, almost dinner time.

Gayoon lay on her bed with laziness, her gaze still focused on the display of her phone, eagerly waiting for it to ring.

It had been like this for five days, since she had spent that night and she still hoped for a call or a message from the blond girl.

The smallest sign of presence.

It was hard to feel like burning for a single night and then forget it all like a blurred dream. She needed someone who would stay with her, not only for , but to hail the scars she was marked with.

Someone by her side, who would listen to her when she was sad and laughed along when happy...

The door was knocked, and a red-haired girl made her way in.

Gayoon smiled at the sight of Jihyun, who held a cup of tea with both her hands. She invited her to sit on the bed, moving aside to make space for the girl to take place on the mattress.

"I thought you would like something warm to drink..." - She faintly said - "...you haven't eaten today".

The sandy-haired gave Jihyun a subdued smile, thanking her for the nice gesture.

"You know... I don't want to intrude in your private life, but since I care about you and you have been sick these days I feel like I should ask it anyway..." - She switched to a serious look, handing her the cup - "Are you being sad… because of someone?"

Jihyun was the only one who really understood her, after all.

Yes, they could fight like dog and cat as a reaction for Gayoon’s teases, but they were in a perfect harmony when it came to their feelings.

They suffered from the same loneliness.

The two girls hugged, making Jihyun's cheeks redden in shyness - "Thanks for the tea… you always know what I need".

Gayoon had avoided the question on purpose.

She was unsure whether to reveal her friend about Rebecca. The red-haired girl wouldn't have approved, for sure, but her kindness deserved to be repaid with honesty, at least.

It was so hard to lie, so unfair that she eventually gave up.

"The day I went to the party with Hyuna… I met a girl..." - She began with quandary - "...we talked a bit and don't ask me how and why, but I brought her here..." - She awkwardly concluded.

Unexpectedly, Jihyun just tightened the hug and gave her a smile.

“We both know you wouldn’t deserve it deserve a scold, don’t we?" - She said - "I know how rejection feels like and I am on your side, remember it".

The door swung open, revealing Sohyun who held a laptop in her arms. - "Sorry for bothering, but it's quite important" - She began, her gaze a little bit worried - "Did I interrupt anything?"

"Stop assuming things, we were just having a talk" - The older girl replied with a little pout. - "I was going to go, anyway" - She completed, standing up.

Jihyun bid a goodbye and left the room.

"What did you need?" - The sandy-haired girl asked.

Sohyun put down the device she was holding, and carefully opened it. - "I was applying the fixes that you asked for, and I noticed that your firewall is shut down. Didn't I tell you not to do it? Now everyone can gain access without your password!"

Gayoon assumed a questioning look - "You know I don't know how to use these settings, why would I even try to change something I don't understand?"

"So should I assume that another person changed it? I thought you didn't let anyone touch your laptop besides me..."

Yeah, nobody could have touched her laptop without her permission or Sohyun’s.

A chill slowly invaded her body, infusing her panic and fear. There was actually a person who could have taken her computer without her knowing, who could have had the time to do anything and put it back.

"I need you to find a person... I need her address, at all costs, ok? I can only tell her first name is Rebecca and give you her phone number"

Sohyun shook her head. - "It's not enough. You know I shouldn't violate the police department, I can only take a look in the publicly available lists such as schools, media companies and so on..."

Gayoon punched the mattress, angry.

There had to be a way to find her, nobody can disappear like this. She needed a detail, a hint; a small bit of information that could have helped Sohyun to find her indexed somewhere.

"Sure! She spoke me a fluent Korean... can you find people by their curricularia entries?"

Sohyun gave her a satisfied smirk, throwing her hands again into the keyboard. After a few seconds of waiting, the laptop beeped to signal that a result had been found.

"Jackson, Rebecca J.M... graduated laude in the East Asian Language & Cultures department of the University of California. She is indexed for having worked as translator for various televisions and newspapers..."

The sandy-haired girl glanced at the thumbnail picture. It was her. - "Write down her address, I am going there..."

Sohyun held her by her sleeves. - "Wait... I am coming with you" - She firmly said - "Do not up...”