Prolog

The World We Live in

*10 years ago*

The doctor who seemed in his twenties quietly stood for a while before breathed a long breath and entered the room.  He had been working in this hospital for almost a year, not for his personal desire, but for the patient, Han Jimin, an 83-years old patient, who had been hospitalized for a year since her health had gradually been decreasing.

As she saw the doctor coming, she smiled a soft smile.  The doctor was like her friend, an old friend she just met.

“You come,” she said.

The doctor replied with a warm smile, “How’d you feel, Agashi (young lady)?” he asked.  It was his habit to call Jimin “Agashi” no matter how old she looked like.

“Never better, there’s no time better than your visit,” she replied.  “Don’t you get bored with this old grandma?”

“You’re not old.  Just a bit wrinkled,” he .

“Say, doctor… we have known for months but you never told me your name.  Everyone else calls you maknae (youngest), how’s that possible?” she complained.   “Won’t you mind telling this old grandma your name, I know my time is near…”

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine,” he refused to answer her question.

“So doctor, what’s your name?” she insisted.  “I don’t want to leave this world with such regret not knowing your name.”

“What’s so important of knowing my name,” he said while sitting next to her bed.

“I had a friend who looked exactly like you, he left without words after graduating.  For me he wasn’t just an ordinary friend, I liked him and guess I do like him. Frankly speaking, you are much like him.  Even if it seems impossible, are you possibly him?  Are you Kyuhyun?”

The doctor sighed then smiled, “Do I really look like him?”

“Everything about you… but it seems he’s not aging”

“How could it be?” he smiled.

“Please doctor, for past few days I always thought tonight might be my last night.  I just wanna know your name and I won’t ask anymore.  It is weird that you keep calling me Agashi and treat me like we are close in age.”

“You’re wrong, our gap is far apart,” the doctor responded. “If you have to choose between not knowing my name but keep your memories of that Kyuhyun and knowing my name but you had to forget about me and that Kyuhyun, which one will you choose?” he smiled a bitter smile.  “I’m offering you a deal right now.”

“What a weird deal! Can’t I just knowing your name and keep my memories of Kyuhyun?”

Suddenly the door opened and another young doctor coming in.  “Hello, Jimin grandma!” he greeted cheerfully.  “How’s your feeling?”

 

“Doctor Sungmin,” she greeted him back.  “I’m a bit sad.  This maknae doctor refused to tell me his name.”

“Really? haven’t he told you his name already?” he made a fake surprised face.

“Have you?” she asked maknae doctor.

He nodded as staring blankly to the ground with guilt.  “But how can I not remember?” she said.

“Haven’t I told you, knowing my name would make you forget about me and that Kyuhyun.  But I didn’t expect you would still remember about that Kyuhyun.”

“What is it about?” she confused.

“Very well then, I’ll tell you once again.  I am Kyuhyun, that Kyuhyun you’ve known from the past, that Kyuhyun without a single trace of aging, I am exactly that Kyuhyun.”

Han Jimin shocked for a moment, never expected she was true all along about her feeling.  But finally she formed a warm soft smile.  “I knew it!  I knew it all along!  I knew you’re that Kyuhyun, that Kyuhyun I was and am longing for long!” she began to cry.

“I don’t care why you aren’t aging.  I just please to meet you again, thanks for coming again.”

Kyuhyun held her hand and wiped her tears, “I’m sorry to make you longing for me, it was my bad from the very beginning.  I shouldn’t let you fall for me, I really am sorry.”

“Now as usual, Sungmin ssi will help me,” he said softly.  Kyuhyun knew that with his special skill, his hyung, Sungmin, would be able to erase Jimin’s memory.

“No, I won’t.  She would like to keep this as a good memory in the rest of her life,” Sungmin refused. 

“Wouldn’t you?” he addressed the question to Jimin.

“Yes, let me keep this memory, let me keep this secret for the rest of my life.”

Kyuhyun took a deep breath and left the room without uttering a word.  He never showed up again even when Jimin breathed her last a week later.

For Kyuhyun, Jimin was his first unfortunate love and wished it be the last.