Sweetness

See You Again

“Oppa!”

Soohyun’s smile widens as he steps away from the shop’s door to meet Marina half way down the sidewalk. “Am I early?”

Marina smiles back at him, pushing hair away from her face. “No, you’re fine. Mom just needed me to walk Wishbone around the block.”

“Wishbone?”

She bends down to scratch the head of a small Jack Russell terrier he hadn’t noticed. “This is Wishbone. You didn’t get to meet him last time because he was at the vet’s. Wishbone, say, ‘hello.’”

The dog obediently lifts up a paw and offers it to Soohyun.

He chuckles and bends down to shake it. “Nice to meet you too, Wishbone. So he’s your mom’s?”

Marina shakes her head. “He’s actually mine, but Mom brings him to the shop a lot so he doesn’t have to be locked up in the house alone all day.”

“Oh.” Soohyun looks up from the dog at Marina and realizes just how close their faces are.

She seems to realize it at the same time as she freezes and her smile fades into something else.

His eyes flick to her lips, full and glistening, before he shakes his head and quickly stands when he remembers where they are. “Um...so..we’re just hanging out here, right?”

“We can do something else if you like,” Marina answers, standing as well. “Since it’s almost dark I wasn’t sure what we could do.”

“No, that’s fine. It’ll be nice to just relax,” Soohyun replies with a smile. “I wish practice ended earlier. Then we’d have more time together.”

“We’ll have to make the most of what we have then, won’t we?” She gives him another smile before walking to the door and opening it.

“Back again?” Sarah laughs when Soohyun follows Marina into the shop. “I was almost afraid we had scared you off.”

He shakes his head. “We’ve just been busy promoting our new album so I haven’t had much free time.”

“Of course. Marina bought it the day it was released and she’s been playing it almost non-stop.”

“Mom,” Marina hisses in a mortified tone, looking up from unhooking Wishbone’s leash.

Soohyun just laughs as Sarah gives her an innocent look.

“We’ll be in the studio or the roof if you need us,” Marina tells her mom, rolling her eyes and taking Soohyun’s hand to lead him up the stairs.

Although the action is slowly becoming habit in the three times they’ve been able to actually be together, it still makes Soohyun’s heart beat a little faster.
When they reach Marina’s studio, she sighs and smiles. “Would you like to hang out here or on the roof? I’ve got a T.V and a couch in the other room.”

“What’s on the roof?” he asks.

“You’ll see. C’mon.” She starts to step away but stops when he doesn’t move, making her look at him questioningly.

Soohyun uses his free hand to push back the bottom of her sleeve to expose the fish bracelet from their first date. With a happy smile, he says, “You’re still wearing it.”

“Haven’t taken it off,” she replies with a slow smile.

Shifting aside his own sleeve, he reveals his own bracelet. “Neither have I.”

    Marina giggles and moves her wrist so the fish lips click together. With another tug on his hand, she shows him another door and a narrow staircase. When she opens the door, they walk out onto the concrete roof with an expected view of Seoul’s skyline. What Soohyun hadn’t expected was a large, cloudy glass paned shed standing in the middle of it.

“The door’s this way,” Marina tells him, walking around the building’s side. “Stay close; we have to try to keep the heat in.”

“Heat?”

Instead of answering him, she opens the door and quickly pulls him in after her.

“Wow.” Soohyun steps forward as he looks around, taking everything in. The moist air, the earthy smell of growing things, and the riot of vibrant colors create a false jungle inside the greenhouse.

“Pretty cool, isn’t it?” Marina says, her gaze staying on his face as she watches his reaction. “Uh-oh.”

He looks away from the plants when her hand slips from his to tenderly caress the leaves of a bush with large, dark pink blossoms. “What’s wrong?”

“She just needs a little water is all. She’s getting some dead leaves.”

“What kind of flower is it?” Soohyun asks, moving closer as Marina deftly nips off a few leaves.

“It’s a peony. They symbolize prosperity and a happy life.”

“So each flower has a meaning? Do you know them all?”

“Only a few,” Marina answers with a smile, tossing the dead leaves into a small bucket of compost. “Sometimes my mom gets special requests, so I’ve kind of picked up on some of the meanings. Now, where did Dad put the watering can?”

Soohyun watches as she moves away, searching. “How did you guys get this place up here?

“My dad built it for my mom when they first bought this place,” Marina explains, spotting the can and stretching on tiptoe to try to reach it on the high shelf. Muttering to herself, she says, “Why does he have to be so tall?”

As her fingers touch the handle, she feels Soohyun come behind her.

“I’ll get it.” He easily reaches the watering can, their fingers grazing.

Marina quickly pulls her hand down and turns around, looking up at him.

    Soohyun slowly sets the can down on the shelf behind her, leaving his arm slightly around her. With a soft expression, he watches her, silently asking permission. When she remains still and closes her eyes, he closes his own and leans closer.

“Unnie, oppa!”

With an inner sigh, Soohyun opens his eyes and steps away from Marina. He chuckles when she gives him a disappointed and slightly frustrated look.
When Marina looks around him at the interruption though, she puts on a smile. “Rose, what’re you doing up here?”

“Mama said you were up here and I wanted to help,” Rose answers with a wide grin, lifting up her own small watering can to show them.

“Good timing,” Marina says with a dry chuckle, flashing a look at Soohyun who gives his own chuckle in reply.


“You really are spoiling me,” Soohyun sighs happily, leaning back into the couch cushions. “That was so good.”

“Flatterer,” Marina smirks, pushing at his leg with her foot. “It wasn’t that good.”

“Much better than the take-out I normally end up eating,” he replies, pushing back and not caring about the movies that’s playing in front of them on the screen.

“Every time we have to eat that I keep wishing it was your food instead.”

“Seriously?” Marina giggles. “Oppa, that was like three weeks ago.”

“So? Your cookies keep reminding me.”

She looks at him with disbelieving eyes. “You still have some left?”

Soohyun laughs as he nods. “Only because I had to hide it from the others right after you left.”

“I thought you all didn’t live together though.”

“Oh, we don’t, but they come over often enough.”

“Silly. I can always make you more.” Marina frowns and shifts uncomfortably, reaching into her pocket. “So that’s where that went.”

Soohyun’s about to ask what it is when she pulls out a small tube of something, screws off the top, and dabs a little of the contents on her lips.

She notices him watching her. “What? Is there something on my face?”

“Hmm?” He shakes his head, meeting her eyes. “No, no, just thinking.”

“About what?”

“Nothing.”

Giggling, Marina motions to her chin. “You’ve got a little somethings right here.”

He wipes at his face. “Got it?”


“Nope. I’ll get it.”

    Grabbing a napkin, Marina shifts to her knees and leans over to get to a bit of sauce. Her hand slows and pauses by Soohyun’s cheek, barely touching his cheek. The jump apart when the door cracks open.

“Marina? Soohyun?” Sarah pokes her head into the room and smiles when she sees them. “Thought you were in here. I’m going home now to make sure your dad put Rose to bed. Are you...staying longer?”

“Maybe...” Marina looks at Soohyun, unsure.

“I’ll bring her home, Mrs.Sacchieri,” Soohyun quickly promises, glad the darkness is hiding the blush that’s probably on both their faces.

“All right. I’ll just lock up then and go. Use the side door and don’t forget to lock it behind you, okay? See you at home, Marina.” Sarah smiles at Soohyun again. “See you next time, Soohyun.”

“Goodnight,” he says cheerfully, waving as she closes the door. When he turns back to Marina, he can’t help laughing. “Gwenchana?”

“Yeah,” comes the muffled reply from behind Marina’s hands. “It’s just really hot in here. I’ll be fine.”

“Marina.”

She peeks out at him. “Yes?”

“Want to go outside?” Soohyun asks, already reaching for her hand.

“Sure.” Marina unfolds her legs, letting Soohyun help her to her feet and twine their fingers together.

    He leads her back to the roof where the sky is now dark and sparkling with stars and city lights alike. Marina walks over to a small bench against the greenhouse and sits down. Soohyun sits beside her, sniffing the subtle smell of her hair as the wind blows it.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” she asks, looking across the city.

“Beautiful,” he repeats.

“Are you even looking where I am?” Marina turns her head to look at him with an amused smile.

“No, but what I said is still true.”

She giggles, shivering in the sudden breeze.

Soohyun immediately wraps an arm around her and smiles secretly to himself when she snuggles into the crook of his arm. “Marina...”

“Hmm?”

“I...”

“Yes?” Marina turns in his arms to look at him.

    Soohyun tries to form the words, but they’re lost in her eyes. Deciding to abandon words, he slowly raises a hand to her jawline. His strong fingers tickle her face as Marina waits, barely breathing, until them come to rest against her neck. Her eyes never leave his until their faces are a breath away. Soohyun can almost feel her eyelashes against his cheek when her eyes flutter shut as he savors the long seconds. Finally, he can’t resist anymore and presses his lips against hers.

Although it’s hard, he pulls back soon after. Somewhat shakily, he says,“So I was right.”

Marina blinks slowly, trying to make herself focus. “Right?”

“Your lipgloss flavor. It’s strawberry. My favorite,” Soohyun replies with a soft smile, tracing her bottom lip with his thumb.

“Then come taste it again,” Marina whispers, shocking them both with her forwardness. Her hands fly up to while her eyes widen.

With a light chuckle, he takes her hands and puts them around his neck. “I think I will.”

    If Soohyun had to use one word to describe kissing Marina, it would be music. Every inch of his body that was touching Marina, from his arm around her waist to his hand tangled in her hair, seemed to be singing. Her lips, lush and sweet, found a perfect rhythm with his. Underneath it all, he could feel their hearts race until they beat together in an erratic tattoo.

    When they’re both desperately in need of breath, they reluctantly let their lips drift apart even though their grip on the other remains tight.

“Are you cold?” Soohyun asks, concerned by the redness of her cheeks.

Marina shakes her head, unlocking one hand’s fingers from his neck to his cheek and bring him in for a slow brush of lips. “Anything but.”

He catches her fingers in his. “Lier. You are cold...and it’s probably late.”

“I don’t want to leave,” she says, her puffy lips sticking out in a small pout.

Soohyun carefully kisses her fingers before kissing her lips again. “I don’t either, but I’d better get you home at a decent hour...or at least try to. Besides...”

“Besides what?”

“This. Will not be. The last time. We do this,” he answers, accentuating every few words with by kissing her nose, eyes, and cheeks.

Marina smiles and leans in for another kiss that he obligingly gives her. Opening her eyes again, she asks, “So are we...going steady now?”

Soohyun laughs at her choice of words and kisses her nose again. “If you want to.”

She doesn’t bother answering, preferring to show him by replacing her hands around his neck and kissing him enthusiastically.

    Eventually, they make it down the two sets of stairs and out of the building after plenty of pauses for more stolen moments. When they reach Soohyun’s car, he hands her in, letting his touch linger on her arm. After he starts driving, Soohyun’s free hand finds Marina’s. She in turn clasps it between both of hers.

When they reach her house, Marina looks out the window with sad eyes. “I don’t want to leave yet,” she admits.

“I’ll walk you to the door then, so you won’t miss me till the last minute,” he promises, getting out to open the door for her. Catching her as she comes out, he steals another sweet kiss.

“If you really like strawberry that much, I think I’ll have to wear it every day,” Marina giggles, looking up him from under her lashes as they walk to the house’s door, swinging their arms.

Soohyun sticks out his lips in mock consideration. “Well, I’m not sure if it’s your lipgloss or your lips that are so sweet. I guess I’ll have to keep kissing you to figure it out.”

She grins and pushes against his chest, making him wrap his arms around her to capture her. “You’re ridiculous.”

“I know,” he shrugs. “But I’m thinking that counts in my favor.”

“It does indeed.” With a sigh, Marina rests her head against his shoulder. “I should let you go, shouldn’t I? You probably have early practice.”

“I do,” Soohyun reluctantly admits. “However, I think we have time for one more.”

“Good.”

He loves the way Marina seems to melt into him when he kisses her although after awhile he slowly releases her. “Okay, if I don’t let you go now, we’re never going to get off this step. Goodnight, Marina.”

“Goodnight, Soohyun,” she says, moving just as slowly. Unlocking the door, she turns around for one more kiss on the lips and another on the forehead.

As she gets ready to close the door, he realizes he hadn’t said that important thing. “Marina.”

She pauses in the threshold. “Yes?”

“I like you,” Soohyun says with a sheepish grin.

“I like you too,” Marina laughs, leaning out to kiss his cheek before shutting the door.

    The enormous grin on his face is the only hint to his happiness until he reaches his car, where he allows himself a celebratory whoop and fist pump. He’s almost bouncing in his seat as he looks once more at Marina’s house before driving off.

    From inside, Marina watches all this from behind a curtain. She giggles at his little dance and lets the curtain fall once his car disappears. Her fingers brush her lips as she climbs the stairs to her room, feeling them curve into a smile, one she’s not entirely sure won’t be permanent.
 

=====================================

Annyeong lovelies! Guess what time it is here? 5:45 AM and has this girl slept? Nope! Cause she was 1) taking care of a friend who drank too much wine and then 2) watching a full Beast concert video with a friend back home&IMing comments back and forth. Since I'd stayed up so late, I figured I might as well not go to sleep at all and finish all this up. If there are mistakes, I blame my frazzled brain. Hope you like it. ^^ Saranghae!

Coralie_x_SHINee: Yes, she did. ^^

Moony_Kat: I did, thanks for pointing that out. (^^;) *hugs back* I'm always here if you need me, dongsaeng-ah. The cookies were the surprise, though I don't think Soohyun shared. XD

dreamwriter_97: It's what I always do. Eli's always up to something. Ke ke. Aigoo, I'm not amazing. To be honest, I don't know either; it just happens as I write or spaz about not having ideas. Ke ke, glad you caught that bit. <3