A Turn of Luck

See You Again

“What about this one?”

“Hmm?” Marina brings her thoughts back to the present where she and Soohyun are sitting on the park hill he’d brought her to on their first date, with Wishbone having joined them for a walk.

“Look at this one.”

“Oppa, it’s not cold enough to be thinking about this,” she chuckles with a roll of her eyes, carefully examining the couple hoodies on the phone screen despite her teasing tone. “Very cute.”

Soohyun lets his phone fall to his chest as he looks up at her and pouts. “It’ll be cold at some point and I won’t always be around to keep you warm when it is.”

“But aren’t we supposed to wear it together anyway?” she points out, lifting his phone back up. “Otherwise there’s only half a heart.”

“Then it’s be accurate.”

“What?”

“Because I always leave half of my heart with you.”

    Marina’s face stays still before she falls back from laughter, almost dislodging Soohyun’s head from her lap. Wishbone, who’s lying down a little away from his mistress, looks up but quickly puts his head back down to go to sleep.

Giggling, Marina tells Soohyun, “You kill me, oppa.”

“Why would I do that?” he asks, lifting his torso and shifting his body so they’re side by side. “I’d be lonely without you.”

She turns her head so she can smile at him and pokes his cheek gently. “Same here.”

    Soohyun captures her hand to bring it to his lips, his heart skipping a beat when the action makes that adorable dimple of hers appear. Slowly, he slides his arm under her head and stretches an arm across her waist. Marina rolls to her side to accommodate his movements, bringing them closer.

“Has it really been almost four months?” Soohyun asks quietly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Hard to believe, huh?” Marina replies, lifting a finger to his jaw. “Probably seems like less since you last time you were in Japan you were there for a month.”

“And we’ve been doing so many promotions. I wish could have one full day off just to spend with you.”

“I do too, but don’t worry about it too much, oppa. We still talk everyday and find times like this, right?”

“I just feel like I’m being a bad boyfriend,” Soohyun sighs, kissing her palm.

“Aw, don’t say that,” she says, kissing his cheek. “You’re a great boyfriend...most of the time.”

His eyes immediately widen. “Most of the time? What’d I do?”

She raises an eyebrow. “I don’t like my boyfriend being a playboy.”

“What?” Soohyun splutters. “Playboy?”

Marina’s mouth twists before she starts laughing, burying her face into his chest and wrapping her arms around his neck. “Just kidding, oppa. Saranghae.”

“Yah!” He lets out a small, relieved laugh as he gently shakes her. “That wasn’t nice; you really had me worried for a second.”

“Mianhae,” she says, trying to tone down her giggles. “I know you wouldn’t cheat on me. I just thought it was funny how the others were saying on that one show you wouldn’t be able to do a long distance relationship because you’d go chasing after other girls.”

“You know they just said that because they know I’ve got the best girl around waiting just for me.”

“Just remember that when you’re surrounded by all those gorgeous female idols, arasso?”

“How could I not when you outshine them all?” he retorts, smiling and rubbing his nose against hers.

Marina just smiles embarrassedly. “Pssh. You’re a cheese ball.”

“It’s true. I’ve never seen anyone with eyes as beautiful as yours.” Soohyun looks into those eyes, watching in fascination as their color shifts. “They tell me so much.”

“They do?”

He nods. “When you’re sad, they’re like coffee. When you’re happy, they’re amber. When you look at me,...”

“They’re what?”

“Green. Always green.”

She looks back thoughtfully at him. “So they’re green now?”

Soohyun nods again.

“Guess I can’t hide anything from you, can I?” she says with a soft smile.

“Apparently not, but I like hearing you say it out loud anyway,” he chuckles.

Marina plays with his necklace for a few seconds before looking him in the eyes. “Saranghae, Soohyun.”

“Nado saranghae.”

    She smiles and tilts her head so her lips can lightly caress his. Then, with a happy sigh, she buries her face in Soohyun’s neck. His chin fits perfectly atop her head as he closes his eyes, just as happy.

    What seems like seconds later, Wishbone’s sudden barking jolts the pair into sitting position. Marina shifts away as Soohyun quickly grabs his hat from where he’d tossed it and jams it on his head. A young woman jogs over the crest of the hill, barely sparing them a second glance as she passes them.

Soohyun and Marina both give relieved sighs when she disappears down the path.

“Good boy,” Marina says, tugging on the leash so she can give the dog a scratch on the head.

“You’re getting a bone or something,” Soohyun agrees, patting Wishbone’s head. “Good dog.”

The dog his head, but nonetheless looks pleased at the praise.

“You’ll have to keep watching out for Marina, arasso?” Soohyun continues. “You’re the only other male she’s allowed to cuddle with or kiss besides me. I trust you.”

“Oppa,” Marina sighs, biting her lip to stop from chuckling. “What about when I want to kiss my dad’s cheek when he goes to work?”

He pretends to think about it. “Okay. That’s the only other exception. You got it, chingu?”

Marina laughs at his ridiculousness as he stretches out a hand to shake Wishbone’s paw and seal the deal. “I guess we have all the bases covered, then, right?”

“Now we do. Now you’ll be safe forever,” Soohyun laughs, wrapping his arms around her again and pecking her cheek. “Nothing’s getting past these iron arms and our loyal guard dog.”

“Hmmm” she hums in agreement, reaching up to press his arms tighter. “I gotta go soon.”

“No.”

“You have to too. You can’t be late to practice because of me.”

He nuzzles her neck, closing his eyes. “Can’t I just take you with me?”

“That tickles,” Marina giggles, trying to squirm away. “And no, you can’t. You’ve got to focus, especially since MAMA are only a few days away now. You can’t disappoint Kiss-Mes; not that you ever do.”

“Arasso, arasso,” Soohyun sighs, laying a kiss beneath her ear and unwrapping one arm to reach into his back pocket. “Speaking of that, I’ve got something for you.”

“Really?”

“Ta-dah!” With a flourish, he hands her two tickets.

“Aigoo, thank you!” Marina reaches behind herself to hug him quickly.

“Are you sure you don’t want more? I can get them.”

She shakes her head. “Crowds give Yongsool headaches, so he and Jimin can’t go. Sarah has to stay home with Rose, but me and Dad will be there to cheer for you and the guys.”

“I’ll perform ten times better just for you,” Soohyun promises.

“You’ll absolutely blow them away.”

“Maybe you’ll be our good luck charm and we’ll win an award.”

Marina gently cups his cheek. “Yah, awards don’t matter. You make amazing music and have amazing fans who love you. That’s all that matters, arasso?”

“Arasso. Maybe this time,” he says, giving her a smile. Unlocking his arms, Soohyun stands and helps her to her feet as well.

“I think you will. I’ve got a good feeling.”

“In that case, I know we’ll win. How about a good luck kiss?”

“But it’s not for another three days,” she points out dryly.

“So?” Soohyun pouts. “What if I don’t get to see you before that? How would you feel knowing you left me like this?”

“You big baby,” Marina chuckles, standing up on tiptoes to give him a loud, smacking kiss on the lips. “Happy?”

“Nope,” he laughs, drawing her in for another, longer kiss. “Maybe one more will do the trick.”

She stops his lips with a finger, shaking her head with a barely contained smile. “You keep doing that and we’ll both be late. You’ll have to wait until next time.”

“But, Marina...”

“Oppa, we’ll see each other soon and you can get another then. Now shoo, before you get in trouble.”

“Only because you’re telling me to,” Soohyun sighs, slowly letting her slip away. “I’ll try to see you before the show, okay?”

“All right,” Marina replies with a nod. Slipping the loop of Wishbone’s leash around her hand, she begins walking away, but then stops to turn around. “If it doesn’t work out, Soohyun oppa hwaiting! Saranghae!”

He laughs and makes a heart with his arms back at her. “Saranghae!”

    Giggling, Marina turns around again. Soohyun watches her until she passes out of sight. Smiling to himself, he makes his own way back to his car, thinking that maybe, just maybe, she’d be right about this time.

 


“Soohyun, I’ve got something for you.”

    Soohyun glances up, his eyes widening in surprise as he sees their manager entering the dressing room with an enormous bouquet of flowers in the mirror. “Me?”

“Well, kinda,” Moonsung chuckles. Pulling a small card from the depths of tissue paper, he reads, “‘Break a leg tonight and own the stage tonight, guys! UKiss fighting! Good luck! Marina.’”

“Aw; she’s so sweet,” Kevin coos from his seat.

“Yeah. Remind me again why we let hyung go first?” Eli teasing complains. “She could’ve totally had me.”

“Mehrong,” Soohyun laughs.

“And now,” Moonsung interrupts with a light cough. Reaching into bouquet, he pulls out a deep red rose tied with a delicate red ribbon that has a note attached to it. With a bow, he presents it to an even more surprised Soohyun.

“Hyung got a flower from a girl,” Dongho laughs.

Kiseop lightly punches his arm. “I think it’s romantic.”

“What’s it say?” Hoon asks, trying to read the note over Soohyun’s shoulder.

“C’mon, if he gets to read it we all should,” AJ teases, coming on his other side.

“Aish, since when does what my girlfriend have to say to me concern you all?” Soohyun laughs, getting out of his chair and easily evading them. “I’ll be right back.”

    Ignoring their puppy eyes, he goes out into the busy hallway and finds a quiet side corridor. Soohyun leans against the wall and opens the small note.

Hi oppa!
Since we weren’t able to see each other before this, I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you. Tonight, I’ll have eyes only for you. Do your best like you always do and we’ll see if I was right. If I was, you’ll take me out on a date as a reward, right? ;) Ke ke, just kidding. Anyway, just remember I love you. Soohyun fighting!
All my love, Marina
.

 Smiling, Soohyun kisses the note and tucks it safely inside his shirt’s chest pocket before heading back to the dressing room.

“What’d she say?” Eli immediately asks.

“That’s for me to know and you to never find out,” he teases with a chuckle.

“Did she invite us over to her house again?” Dongho asks. “Her parents make really good food.”

“You’re hungry again?” AJ asks in disbelief. “We ate right before we came here.”

“So?”

    Still chuckling to himself, Soohyun ignores the others’ chattering to finish getting ready, focusing instead on the optimistic feeling spreading through his mind. When they settle down, he takes out the note to read it again.

“Hey, hey, what’s up, UKiss?” Doojoon suddenly bursts the room, closely followed by Jokwon.

“Doojoon, Jokwon,” Soohyun happily exclaims, quickly getting up to greet his friends.

“You still getting ready?” Jokwon laughs. “The pre-show stuff starts in like an hour.”

“We’re getting there. What about you two?” Soohyun replies, raising an eyebrow. “Shouldn’t the leaders be with their groups?”

“Eh, the kids are fine,” Doojoon says, waving a hand. “We were getting bored.”

“Hey, what’s that?” Jokwon asks, pointing to the note still in Soohyun’s hand.

“It’s a love note from his girlfriend,” AJ tells them with an impish smile.

Both of their eyes go wide before Doojoon starts beating on Soohyun. “Yah! What the hell?! You have a girl and you didn’t tell us?!”

“I was going to, aish,” he says, trying to get away.

Jokwon pulls on his arm, temporarily rescuing him before pushing him back into his chair and sitting right in front of him. “Then tell us now.”

“And we want all the details,” Doojoon adds, stealing Kevin’s chair to sit beside Jokwon.

“Spill or we’ll get the others to tell us.”

    Soohyun sighs good-naturedly even as those in question cackle and gather around, already talking over each other in their eagerness. At least talking about Marina will keep him from getting nervous. That is, if the other UKiss members will let him talk at all.

==============

“You doing okay, honey? I know were disappointed you didn’t get to see him after.”

Marina looks away from the passing streets, smiles, and nods. “I’m great, Dad. I’ll get to talk to him later. I’m just happy I was able to be there for him and besides, they finally won! They deserve it so much!”

“They were pretty amazing.”

“They’re always amazing! Finally Korea had the sense to see that,” she replies, tossing her hands the air but quickly smiling again. “Ugh, I wish I had my phone so I could at least text Soohyun. Did you see that he started crying? I just wanted to run up on stage and hug him; he’s worked so hard and he’s finally got it. I’m so proud of him.”

Paolo examines her face for a few more seconds before sighing. “It’s hard to believe.”

“Believe what?”

“That my baby’s finally growing up and falling in love.”

“Dad,” she complains with a smile, rolling her eyes. “I’m already twenty.”

“I notice you didn’t deny the second part,” he chuckles.

“Cause it’s true,” Marina admits openly. “I think I fall for him more every day even if I don’t see him every day. It’s surreal sometimes, but at the same time I can’t imagine what it’d be like if I hadn’t met him at all.”

“You sound like me when I met your mother,” Paolo says, giving a small, slightly sad laugh. “I couldn’t figure out what I’d done to deserve her, but there was no way I was going to let that happiness slip away. Remember that, Marina. If love gives you the chance to be happy, you hold it tight and don’t let anyone or anything take it from you. Your mom...”

Smiling softly as she watches him, she reaches out and puts her hand on his. “I will, Dad, I promise.”

Paolo smiles back, turning his hand so he can give her fingers a squeeze.

Suddenly, headlights flash bright through the driver’s side window, accompanied by the desperate squeal of brakes.

“Dad!”

=========================

Annyeong, lovelies! I know, I know, I didn't update last week and mianhae about that. With uni started back up again, I think I may have to make this story one I update only once every two weeks. We'll have to see, but at least I don't make you wait more than that, right? ^^ Anyway, hope y'all are doing well and saranghae!

yellow14: ^^ Thanks!

Moony_Kat: Well, how could you kiss Soohyun just once when he's got that gorgeous set of full lips? Not this girl. I think it's possible; I think some might prefer a non-idol spouse because it'd be a break from all that craziness. Ke ke, yeah, she did, but she was fine after I made her drink water.

Coralie_SHINee: Yup yup! ^^

dreamwriter_97: Well, Soohyun's a lot more straightforward and they started with a romantic relation from the start so...Ke ke, yay for fangirling!

chocoenvelope: Guess your phone's thankful it did happen, right? Ke ke. If Soohyun kissed me, I wouldn't be able to stop after just one. Maybe we can both borrow her courage...

turtle_chan: FLUFFINESS RULES!! Ke ke. Not quite yet...but maybe.