All is Well (Part 1)

Our Roller Coaster Ride

 

 

“OH SHOOT!” Dongwoo mouthed as he hurriedly placed his venti-sized chocolate drink back on the table. He was busy fiddling with his phone that had suddenly turned into a whack-a-mole session, with him blabbering endless ‘No’s, as he repeatedly pressed his screen harder every second.

 

Sungjong, who was busy working with his tablet, gave a momentary look at the troubled being that was sitting across from him. Seeing the elder pouting as he banged his forehead on the cream colored table, Sungjong could only chuckle as he sipped his peppermint sprinkled frappe and decided to watch the afternoon city by the window.

 

The two were in their usual cake shop— a forty five-minute drive from the city, sitting at the side of a hill. The shop was themed as an antique European house, two floors high, with the second floor being on its sides, leaving the center open for good ventilation; its interior was designed accordingly with modern pieces that are well blended with Victorian inspired upholstered chairs, and tables. The entrance was graced by a wooden stair case and glassed double doors. The sweet shop was where they would always stay whenever they would work on their magazine articles and pictures because of its homey vibe and beautiful scenery that’s offered by the shop’s wide paneled windows overlooking the city of Seoul.

 

But instead of the usual editing of articles and sorting of images, the two males were in there for a different reason. They were supposed to meet with a long time client this afternoon.

 

Sungjong left the beautiful scene before his eyes as he turned his head and took notice of the still groaning man before him who was obviously getting disappointed with whatever he did with his phone. “Hyung, let me guess…” Sungjong mused as he tapped a slender finger on his chin, showing the elder man that he’s playfully thinking ever so deeply. “You deleted a folder, didn’t you?” he voiced as he threw a teasing smile at the frustrated Dongwoo.

 

Dongwoo remained still on the table and slowly moved his head. He anchored his chin on the table and looked up to meet eyes with the young editor. He heaved a deep sigh, “No, I didn’t delete anything…” he said as he continued to pout at his phone as if it was mocking him for being so stupid.

 

Sungjong’s brows scrunched up, “Then, why are you being like this?”

 

“Just check your phone.”

 

Sungjong fished out his phone from his LV and flipped it open, only to reveal an unread message which showed the name of the bewildered man in front of him. Sungjong navigated his phone and opened the message that contained information which he already knew earlier that morning. Sungjong then looked back at Dongwoo who was still not over with whatever he did. “So, what’s with Yookwon hyung getting knocked up?”

 

Upon hearing the younger’s remark, Dongwoo’s eyes grew large for Sungjong’s reaction was less than what he had expected. “You’re not surprised?”

 

Sungjong beamed his hundred watt smile, “Of course I’m surprised! Well, at least I was…”

 

“Was?” Dongwoo asked quizzically with a scrunched left brow.

 

Sungjong grabbed his frappe for another sip as he placed his phone back inside his bag. “Yup… Yookwon hyung called this morning,” he said as he put the caffeinated beverage back on the shop furniture.

 

Dongwoo released a relieved sigh and found himself laughing his worries away. “That’s good! Whew, I thought I had let the cat out of the bag at the wrong time…” he said as he wiped a nonexistent sweat on his forehead. He then held his chest as he started to lightly laugh that he knew would soon be uncontrollable.

 

Sungjong was watching the other who was trying to hold his laughter as he tried to understand what the other male has said. Sungjong then slightly shook his head. He was not getting the older man’s worry, “What do you mean wrong timing, hyung?”

 

Dongwoo just waved his hands in front of him, “It’s nothing, really. It’s just that they wanted to tell everyone in the gang personally when Kwon’s out of the hospital. I just didn’t want to spoil their moment, that’s all.”

 

Sungong nodded in understanding, “So that’s why you and Hoya hyung were so quiet at Sungyeol hyung’s party…  Myungsoo hyung told us you guys would be running late for the party ‘cause you dropped by Yookwon hyung at the hospital.”

 

Dongwoo then straightened up and fixed his shirt, “Ha! More like his wife nagged at us to go the hospital when the sun still barely shone.”

 

Sungjong laughed at the thought of Sungyeol nagging at the heavy sleeper at the crack of dawn. But maybe it became the latter’s expertise because he also married a man who’s also a sleeping boulder.

 

“What’s got you two laughing? Heard Yeollie and Yookwon’s names from the counter…”

 

The two males ceased their mini feat as two plates of chocolate mousse invaded their eye sights. They quickly trailed their vision from the reaching arm that placed the sweet delicacy on their table to the face of its owner and smiled at the kind person. It was the cake shop owner, resident chef and their long time friend.

 

Sungjong stood up the moment he saw the person’s face and gave the chef a hug, “Woohyun hyung, why did you come out just now?”

 

Woohyun returned the warm embrace and smiled at the younger male, “Why? You wanted to pull my leg?”

 

“Yeah right... That was like, what, five years ago?” Sungjong mocked as he tucked his blonde fringe behind his ear.

 

Woohyun chuckled at the childish memory when Sungjong used to get his ways to get revenge on every nagging and reprimanding that he did to the young boy in the past. He just shook his head as he took a seat beside Dongwoo who was about to take a bill out of his wallet which he managed to stop, “The cakes are on me,” he said and then turned to look at Sungjong and back to Dongwoo, “So, speaking of Yookwon… Still can’t believe he’s having twins?”

 

Dongwoo was nodding frantically, not being able to restrain himself from literally fanboying over a fact that he was there when the good news was first announced, “Yes! If only you have seen those two when the doctor said their having two babies!”

 

Sungjong shook his head as he smiled at his forever childish hyung, “Calm down, hyung. You’re making mini earthquakes on our table.”

 

Woohyun was very much used to Dongwoo’s excitement and understood that the older male wanted to start a story telling session about the joyous moment. “Okay. Tell us what happened.”

 

For Dongwoo, it was an honor. He started in a heartbeat, comically stating everything that had happened during the day of the announcement. From Sungyeol waking him up at dawn, to Sungyeol tailing him the entire day when he set foot on the venue of the party.

 

The three were happily laughing when Woohyun saw a familiar figure was on its way to his cake shop. “Oh, someone’s coming... I should get back behind the counter,” he mused as he stood up and gave Sungong and Dongwoo a pat on their shoulder, “Be right back.”

 

Sungjong and Dongwoo watched Woohyun getting behind the counter and was wearing his dark green apron when the store bell rang, signaling the arrival of a probable customer. But it was not any other customer. Sungjong and Dongwoo’seyes did not leave Woohyun. The two audience’s curiosity radar switched on when they saw was Woohyun getting all worked up as soon as the customer was in front of him.

 

 Dongwoo was straining his neck as he looked over Sungjong’s shoulder, trying his best to get a better look at the man that wore a black cap under a gray hoodie. “Yah, Sungjong ah, I think I know that guy.”

 

Sungjong looked at Dongwoo with disbelief written all over his face, “You okay, hyung? I couldn’t even see his face! He’s well covered.”

 

Sungjong and Dongwoo were practically gossiping when they heard Woohyun was calling for their names from the counter. The two males immediately sat straight as they watched Woohyun who was all smiles as he pointed at them and said something to the covered mister that made the latter turn and remove his hat and hoodie in the process.

 

As soon as the man rid of the articles that covered his visage, the formerly gossiping onlookers could only swallow to moisten their throats that seemed to have gone dry the moment they had met eyes with the mister.

 

“Hi guys! Long time, no see!”

 

-o-O-o-

 

“Okay, I understand. Yes, I’ll set the date and coordinate with your secretary then. See you tomorrow, sir.”

 

Jaehyo heaved a sigh as he placed his phone back on the table and massaged the sides of his temples with his thumb and forefinger. He was able to report to his boss about the hiring of a substitute dance instructor that would temporarily replace Yookwon, and the hiring of a part time vocal instructor. The temporary employees were required to meet with the CEO for the final interview and approval, and that meant he had to sync the vacant schedules with that of his boss’.

 

But his job didn’t end there.

 

He was about to curse when he remembered that they had auditions the other day, and he could swear to any divine spirit lingering in the building that, if there’s any, almost every ambitious teenager in South Korea had gone to their audition.

 

The pile of applications before him was definitely giving him headaches already, and he had not gotten through more than the half of them. But he was kind of relieved when he managed to find a potential applicant when he had gone through the first five folders. It was never easy to be a part of the casting and screening team. He even still had to watch the VTRs when he gets home.

 

The half pony-tailed man was starting to wonder if when he would be able to take a break and escape from all things that were related to hiring, scouting, casting, and audition screening. He missed his old life. His life when he was free to bully a friend or a junior without being reprimanded with him taking advantage of being older than his friends. He was famous for having a frank and straightforward personality.

 

Then he thought— that was the reason why he was hired to screen auditions and the like.

 

It’s because of his spiteful tongue.

 

Jaehyo groaned at the thought. If only he was a bit kind with his words, but he had to be strict and meticulous when it comes to choosing for an applicant that deserves to train with them.

 

Speaking of strict and meticulous, their company’s standards had particularly risen and screenings became pretty stricter and particular, compared before. It must be because the company hired him –Him, with the good looks, the well knowledgeable brains, and not to mention his rarely shown singing prowess. Then they realized that they should find these qualities.

 

Ah. He’s just perfect. He’s awesome. He’s —

 

“Yes? Come in.”

 

Jaehyo’s musings were stopped by a loud knock on his opened office door. He looked up only to see a beaming Jihoon leaning against his door. He smiled upon the sight of a friend who was an expert in easing any tensed atmosphere or alleviating any stress that’s caused by their work.

 

“Hey hyung, it’s already past 3 o’clock. Want to grab some snack? Coffee?” Jihoon invited as he walked in further inside Jaehyo’s office. The deep voiced man casually took a seat and eased himself on the chair in front of Jaehyo’s table and took notice of the piled documents on the elder’s table. His eyes carefully scanned some of the opened files and saw papers stamped with a familiar red marking.

“Wah! Boss is hiring Hoya hyung and Sunggyu hyung?” he bellowed as he grabbed two documents bearing familiar faces.

 

Jaehyo chuckled at the fascinated young colleague, “They passed the company standards. What else could we do?”

 

“This is going to be so exciting! I’d better tell the kids about this! I’ll be back with you later.” Jihoon said as he sauntered off the seat and out of Jaehyo’s office.

 

“Tell Taeil hyung, he’s got a partner now!” he shouted for the younger to hear him and earned a rushed ‘okay’, he could only shake his head, “That kid, really,” and went back to deal with the papers that he decided to loathe and love for the day.

 

-o-O-o-

 

Minhyuk was in the middle of paying for a carton of milk that he purchased when he felt his phone vibrating inside his pocket. He pulled out his phone and found out that Yookwon sent him a message. He ran his thumb across the screen and tapped the notification to open the message.

 

Minhyuk found himself grinning, letting his deep dimples visible for everyone to see and making girls around him getting all giddy because of smile. But he paid them no heed, though. Still smiling, Minhyuk gave his payment to the kind cashier lady and asked for a little favor, “Can I leave this for a while here? I need to get something else.”

 

The lady nodded with approval and hid Minhyuk’s purchased item under the cash register to avoid confusion with other customer’s purchases. Minhyuk then turned back and grabbed a basket as he went from aisle to aisle on search of items that his wife asked for him to buy.

 

Minhyuk pulled out his phone again to check on the items that he had to buy. Finding each of them in their respective aisles, Minhyuk carefully placed each one of them inside the basket and went back to the counter as soon as he got everything on the list his wife had sent him. After paying and getting back his previously purchased milk from the cashier lady, Minhyuk went straight for the automatic glass doors and walked his way to the parking lot.

 

In search of his car keys as he walked on the asphalted surface, Minhyuk was not able to notice an approaching person who, at the same time, was going through the insides of his bag. The two collided against each other with a loud ‘oof’ and took small steps backwards.

 

“Seriously dude, watch where you’re going!” the man spoke in English.

 

“Sorry!” Minhyuk shouted, laced with an inevitable Korean accent and bowed an apology on the man’s back for the other had already walked away. He was about to take a step when he spotted a small object that was a few inches away from his left foot. “Key chain?”

 

It was like an emblem, like a crest of some sort.

 

Minhyuk thought of the person earlier, he turned his heels to search for him but to no avail. He gave up on the idea of searching for the guy; he wasn’t able to see his face properly, so why bother? And with that, Minhyuk put the small object in his pocket and ran to his car. He could not let his wife wait for him at home any longer, especially when he still had Yookwon’s food with him.

 

No, not when his lovely wife had been craving for weird food.

 

-------------------------

(A/N) Sorry for the overly late update!

Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

 

Thank to all who subscribed and who WILL subscribe... The drama doesn't start here yet, so hope you'll bear with me. :)

Hope you enjoyed the story so far, and please do leave a comment. I would greatly appreciate it! :) Ciaossu~  <3