Chapter 28

The Unexpected Becomes The Expected
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Unexpected Becomes the Expected

Story by Lee Hwa Young

 

I could feel their eyes on me. After the butler spewed out his words about Lee Hyuk Jae, a wall of contempt and haughtiness hit me like a wave. Now, more than ever, I knew I didn't belong here. I should have never come back. I lowered my eyes to the floor, trying to think of an escape route. I couldn't remain here with these people who believed that their own self-importance was greater than anything else in the world. However, before I could take any action, I heard someone shouting out my name, and the voice made everything in me want to liquefy and flow to him.

Lee. Hyuk. Jae.

I brushed past my so called family out into the hallway, only to find a few men blocking the way and the figure of Lee Hyuk Jae, on the floor, cowering and whimpering profusely. I called out to him, but my voice fell on deaf ears. Studying the backs of the men blocking Hyuk Jae a wave of realization hit me. I ran forward, pushing away the arms that tried to stop me.

"What do you think you're doing?!" I demanded, my voice rising as I placed myself between Lee Hyuk Jae and the men. I was going to stand my ground and stick with Lee Hyuk Jae. I was going to be the one to protect him. I received sneers from the men, one of them stepping toward me. I tried to concentrate on him but I could still hear Hyuk Jae's whimpers behind me. I wanted nothing more to take him far away from this place and from these men.

"LEE DONGHAE," It was my so called mothers' voice. "If you protect that boy, we will not be able to save you," She warned as my eyes met hers. I wasn't sure what she meant by those words, but I no longer cared. I knew now how I wanted to live the rest of my life and I wasn't going to run away. "Or him," my mother pointed at the man, still curled up on the floor behind me. For the first time, my breath caught in my throat. I couldn't let anything else happen to Lee Hyuk Jae. I turned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter