Chapter 15

The Unexpected Becomes The Expected
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Unexpected Becomes the Expected

Story by LeeHwaYoung

 

I kept my eyes and mind focused on the tree branches in front of me, the cold leaving the tree colorless and easily allowing for any signs of a clue to be easily noticed. However, no matter where I focused my eyes I saw no sign of any clue from Young-Yi.

"Quickly," I heard Donghae mumble but I couldn't let the chance go so easily. I wanted to continue looking even though I already knew the clue wasn't here. My mind went blank except for the fact that I should let Donghae know that I was almost finished.

"Almost..." I began to reply just as we began falling. I let out a small scream, closing my eyes tightly, afraid of falling from such a high place. As I hit the ground, I was thankful that it wasn't as hard of a fall as I was thinking it would be, not even noticing the position I was currently in. I slowly opened my eyes, looking directly into Donghae's eyes. For the first time I noticed his soft chocolate gaze as I felt his lips on mine. By instinct my eyes opened wide, finally realizing our position and I quickly rolled away from the scene, feeling my cheeks flush.

Facing away from Donghae, I mentally smacked myself, wondering what to do or what to say next. Turning back, I found Donghae still lying on the ground, and for a moment I became nervous.

"A-are you ok?" I asked slowly, looking down at him. He shook his head, readied himself and stood, brushing off his clothes.

"Fine," He replied to my question, not looking at me. I hit him on the shoulder, making him jump and look at me confused.

"How could you let us fall?! I was so scared!" I huffed, stomping away from the tree. I stopped by the swings, taking one for a seat, slowly swaying the swing back and forth as I thought. I felt a nagging feeling that I was forgetting my entire life and relationship with Young-Yi. I couldn't even remember what we did or where we did them. I put my head in my hands, trying to concentrate on what it was that I was forgetting.

A clanking sound next to me interrupted my thoughts, telling me the swing next to me was now occupied. Lifting my head a little, I glimpsed at the seat next to me noticing Donghae swinging back and forth. I searched his face for the type of attitude he was in, but he looked like a young child who was experiencing their first time on a swing. My eyes couldn't help but to linger on him for a while longer.

"Sorry!" Donghae's voice made me snap out of my reverie "For not being able to stop us from falling," Donghae gave his reasons for apologizing, continuing to swing back and forth with a goofy smile. "At least... I caught you though... right?" He winked and laughed awkwardly. I stared at him, feeling guilty that I yelled at him for making us fall when he had protected me again.

"Sorry... for blaming you," I mumbled.

"Huh? What did you say?" He slowed his swinging so he could listen. I felt my cheeks flush a light pink again, making me turn my gaze down to my hands.

"I said I was sorry! For blaming you..." I said louder this time. There was a silence on the other end for a long time and I didn't have the courage to turn to face the other man.

"I guess you didn't see a clue then... since you didn't want to try again?" Donghae stopped swinging, sitting still on his swing. I shook my head, putting my chin in the palm of my hand as I stared out at the park. It was already starting to get dark, the sun making its line towards the horizon. Some neighborhood people were starting to appear, finished with their long work day.

A young boy with his mother and father showed up at the park, their talk and laughter cheerful. They walked up to an elderly woman who was selling small items, one of them being a bottle of bubbles. The father paid for the bottle, showing his son how to use the bubbles before handing it directly to his so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter