I Love You Chocolate

Adolescence Is Atrocious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

It was a bit windy when Yoogeun got off the train at Myeungdong but since it was still sunny he didn't bother to zip up his soft, worn leather jacket. There were crowds of people walking up and down the steps as he climbed up out of the underground station. He weaved his way through them, only turning a few heads as finding attractive people in Korea was as expected as there were twelve in a dozen.

 

At the end of the staircase were teens loitering around—girls dressed in chic, black colors, short skirts and shorts, baggy sweaters, jackets with sequins and shoulder pads, the typical beauties hanging out in flocks. He could see groups of guys ogling them—nerds with glasses and sketchy s with facial hair and dark hooded eyes alike. There were racks, booths and food stalls mixed along the streets for nearly a mile with people—both young and old, foreign and native—bustling around like worker bees. The noise was atrociously loud, especially the clerks yelling to customers, constantly throwing in deals or knocking down prices to attract passerby.

 

This was the famous shopping district where you could haggle to get fashionable clothes for less than half the price. He wasn't very good at it but Kyungsan and Lauren were experts, mainly because they had a lot of lethal aegyo at their expense. For Yoogeun, this place was hell and aegyo was his enemy. He braced himself and took a deep breath, scoping out the area with sharp, suspicious eyes like he was readying himself for battle.

 

“It's okay, man, you can do this. If you passed algebra, you can get through some shopping. Plus, this isn't going to be half as bad as confessing. If I can't do this, then I'm not even worthy of her as a man.”

 

“Would you move out of the way, weirdo?”

 

“If you’re not Korean, then do your sight-seeing elsewhere!”

 

These kids shoved him hard as they passed. He fell forward, easily righting himself, then stepped out of their way. He was kind of irritated by it and wanted to snap back but it was his fault for blocking the way with his big body he guessed and he didn't want a fight.

 

“Sir, come here! Are you looking to buy a scarf for your girlfriend? We have a ton of colors, styles and fabrics all for really cheap,” a woman brandishing some neon-green scarf in his face to his right startled him.

 

“Oh, uh, maybe...” he answered hesitantly, straightening up in embarrassment and looking at the fabric arranged on these white racks and hooks.

 

“Come here then. I'll help you.” She grabbed his arm and led him closer to the scarves.

 

Maybe it was because she was in her twenties rather than the other middle-aged ajhummas but she was holding him much longer than was comfortable and seemed to be pressing her chest into his elbow on purpose.

 

“Um....She's bright, positive, kind and a little ditzy,” he answered, subtly trying to shift his arm away.

 

“Is she younger or older? You seem like you would suit an older woman...”

 

“Really? I think a scarf isn't right for my girlfriend though, sorry.”

 

The woman pouted and as he started backing away she called, “Come back anytime! I'll give you a big discount!”

 

“Wow, cougars,” he shook his head and shivered at the thought of what he'd almost been trapped in.

 

On top of that he could have potentially been ually harassed if he stayed longer, he was just grossed out. He browsed the area for what felt like hours but he didn't have a clue what would be perfect. He saw lots of nice things so he had one picked out in every store but he only wanted to pick out something that just screamed Lauren to him and he just hadn’t run into that yet. His ears picked up this excited conversation as a group of giggling girls passed by, looking over their shoulders.

 

“Did you see those two guys? They’re gorgeous! I think I've seen them in some old magazines.”

 

“Yeah, they're Korea's second most famous gay couple right after that singer and fashion designer. I saw them kiss too! It's the most beautiful, y thing.”

 

“Wow, how could you see that as y, Unni? You're so naughty!”

 

“Well, one almost looks like a girl, so it makes sense I would.”

 

Yoogeun had heard enough to whip his head around and groan. “Oh, really? Come on. Is the world that small?”

 

His parents who'd told them they were going out on a shopping date after work so would be later than usual were spotted trying on hats at one of the booths. Taemin had a cowboy hat on and Minho had a band with feathers and they were flirting with each other, playing cowboys and Indians. They didn't realize it yet but they'd been slowly circled by women who were giggling and whispering excitedly as they watched them with awed interest and snapping pictures.

 

He boldly marched over to their sides, saying coldly, “Don't you think if you guys go out, you could be more inconspicuous with a disguise or something?”

 

“Oh, hey Yoogeunie!” Taemin smiled at him brightly as he turned to him.

 

“Don't hey me,” he muttered.

 

“Hey look, yobeo. I’s our son!” he said excitedly to Minho and shook his arm, pointing his finger at Yoogeun like he was a circus attraction.

 

“I see that, chagi,” Minho replied with a sweet look and a sugary voice that made Yoogeun almost want to vomit.

 

His eyes turned sharp and cold, shooting ice through him and making him feel instantly guilty right after though. Why was his father only nice to his umma anyway? Did he use up all that warmth so there was none left to give to him?

 

“Why are you shopping when you should be doing homework? Do you hate being responsible that much?”

 

“I had something to buy...” he muttered quietly, looking down and trying not to blush and be obvious.

 

“Oh, for who? Ah, it's Valentine's Day tomorrow! Are you planning on giving it to a girl you like? I haven’t heard of anybody though...”

 

“Umma,” he whined helplessly as the girls watching them giggled some more, this time at his own expense.

 

This conversation was so embarrassing and he would just drop out of school and die if this ended up on the tabloids tomorrow. Minho pulled his hat and then Taemin's off, reading the situation.

 

“Let's go drill him somewhere else,” he whispered in Taemin's ear, wrapping his arm around the thinner man's shoulders and leading him away.

 

“Oh, I wanted to get those for later though...” Taemin whined, flashing a pout that was just wierdly cute with how aged his looks were now.

 

Minho smiled, his heart melting as he thought how his husband still had it—that irresistible cuteness and innocence that made his heart swoon and want to protect him yet eat him up whole.

 

“I'm saving it for your birthday and I’ll come back to get them later.”

 

“Oh, goodie,” he said with a lecherous grin and a mischievous giggle.

 

“Oh, God,” Yoogeun groaned, pressing his hand to his forehead as mental images burned through his head that he really didn't want to be there.

 

Maybe the fantasies were exciting for girls but the reality was torture to him. It wasn't because he was homophobic, it was typical of most teenagers—they were his parents, he knew them really well and it was just a gross act to think about. That only showed his immaturity in a more clear sense though. Taemin grabbed his wrist lightly and he followed him away from that booth, the people who'd circled them letting them go through, snapping a few more pictures and then continuing their own shopping.

 

What rotten luck to run into them here, Yoogeun thought as his insatiably curious umma turned to him with a twinkle in his eyes and a large grin. “So, who are you shopping for? It's a girl right, right? Who, who? Do I know her? Is she pretty? Older or younger?”


“Taebaby, calm down,” Minho commanded in a gentle voice as he held his shoulders and chuckled.

 

“I was shopping for myself...” Yoogeun replied, shifting his feet and dropping his eyes to the ground.

 

“You're lying, Choi Yoogeun. Umma knows your signs,” he sang to his annoyance.

 

Yooguen groaned again at being found out. It was a good shot at saving his though. “I'm going to confess to Lauren.”

 

Minho and Taemin both seemed to freeze. They leaned closer to him, clutching each other.

 

“You're what?” they whispered apprehensively.

 

“I'm confessing to Lauren! Why did you have to make me say it again?!” he cried loudly in frustration, tossing his hands up in the air.

 

“You are?! Oh my gosh!” Taemin squealed in delight and started jumping all over Minho who was wearing a pretty bright smile himself though it was slightly cocky.

 

“I told you he liked her!”

 

“Well, there was no way of knowing. I mean that's what I hoped since I'd win twenty dollars from you but...”

 

Yoogeun who had turn away blushing with his hands clenched in his pockets trying to look cool turned around in shock and outage. “You bet on your own son?!”

 

“Yeah, we do it a lot actually,” Minho replied with a cocky grin.

 

“I can't believe you two. I'm so running away now,” he huffed, turning away from them, his face reddening from anger on top of his embarrassment.

 

Did they not realize how difficult this was for their teenage son? He was going through this much turmoil already and they were playing games rather than talking to him, advising him what to do, or giving him love advice. He had such awful parents.

 

“Oh come on, it's not that bad. We just like to have some fun in our boring lives.”

 

“We just wanted you to figure things out and tell us on your own. We can help you now. It's our way of showing love.”

 

They wrapped their arms around him on either side and rubbed his arms in comfort. He wasn't feeling as mad at them now but he wouldn't let them forget it later.

 

He looked at both of them with innocent eyes. “Do you think you could help me find a present for her?”

 

Taemin laughed brightly and even Minho looked amused and somewhat excited despite his usual cool demeanor and apparent lack of interest in anything.

 

“Don't I always?”

 

“This is a little different though,” Yoogeun muttered, his cheeks flushing again.

 

“Yobeo, look at this. Our son in love. Who knew he could be this cute?” Minho , pinching his cheek.

 

Yoogeun brushed his hand off, saying in irritation, “Shut up, appa.”

 

“Shut up? If you don't watch your tone, girlfriend or no, you're so grounded, boy.” He squeezed his neck hard.

 

“Arasso! Sorry, I'll be polite,” Yoogeun choked in apology, fearful of the very real consequences of disobeying his strict father.

 

“Good.” He released him. “Now let's go win that pretty lady over. If she's anything like Key, she's going to be impossible to shop for.”

 

“Hello, Key's best friend and Lauren's favorite uncle right here.” Taemin waved proudly.

 

Yoogeun was feeling much more confident and less lost now that his parents were going to help him They spent several minutes looking at different booths and stores, then Taemin pulled them over in a near run to this accessory table. He jerked to a stop and excitedly started looking through them.

 

“Look at that, Yoogeun!” He pointed his long arm across to an area of hairpins right in front of him.

 

As soon as his finger directed towards this gold and pink giraffe pin, Yoogeun knew that one was it. It was cute, different, kind of childish but didn't look elementary school, shiny but not tacky and Lauren’s favorite animal was a giraffe.

 

“Perfect.” He smiled as he picked it up.

 

Taemin and Minho observed it over his shoulder and quickly agreed that this was just perfect. He handed it carefully to the store clerk.

 

“I'll take this one and please wrap it as a gift.”

 

“Neh,” the lady said politely as she turned away to get it ready.

 

“So, what are you going to say? How are you going to do it?”

 

Yoogeun stopped his umma before he could get too excited. “Thanks, but I think the rest of this I have to do on my own.”

 

“Oh~ Our little Geunnie's becoming a man,” Minho said, sounding impressed and yet teasing as he affectionately ruffled his long hair, making it flip into his eyes.

 

“Appa, seriously,” he chided, pushing his arm playfully and coolly flipping his hair off his forehead.

 

“Here you go.” The lady had a present wrapped in a small box with red glossy paper.

 

He paid though his parents tried to pay for him, then put it carefully in his hands and looked down at it. His parents had similar happy, excited smiles as they looked down at the present—the most meaningful one they'd ever seen full of a young main's precious first feelings.

 

“She's going to love it,” Taemin promised.

 

“It's going to go great, son.” Minho thumped his back in encouragement.

 

Yoogeun put it back in his pocket, careful not to scrunch it or tear the paper, and held it protectively to his hip with his hand. His parents and him started walking back to the station.

“Now you're going straight back to finish your homework and if you slack off or sleep in late one more time, there won't be any girlfriend over no matter how sweet or adorable she is,”

 

“Old man, stop griping and threatening him for once, will you?” Taemin commanded, softly kicking him behind his leg.

 

“Did you just call me an old man?! Really mature there, baby-face...”

 

 

 

Ever since Kim Lauren turned 9, she'd hated Valentine's Day for several reasons. For one, every year, her Key umma would stress over what she was wearing to school, making sure she looked extra pretty. It wasn't that the fashion designer didn't have good taste; it was just she really didn't like people making decisions for her, especially in what she wore. He'd also force her to make chocolates for every person they knew which was just exhausting. He wouldn't even let her eat any of them, though she loved nothing more than that sweet sugar melting in . He was always nagging her about her teeth rotting in the future but that's a story for another time.

 

 

“Do you have all of them?”

 

“Yes, I've got a chocolate package for all of my friends and teachers and I didn't eat a single one as promised. You can make the ones for my uncles and aunts this year.”

 

Lauren flashed her grocery bag full of chocolates she'd been forced to make at the crack of dawn this morning.

 

“Okay, but only because you're my loveable, adorable, precious only daught

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter