Chocolate Eclairs

Adolescence Is Atrocious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

When Lauren closed the door, her hooked-nosed, silver-hair tied in a tight bun teacher was giving her sharp, accusatory eyes.

 

“Good morning, Han Sunseng!” Lauren greeted cheerfully with a sheepish smile.

 

She then hurriedly slinked to her seat in the middle two desks of the classroom. Her friend, Tayoung-- who she'd been sitting next to for years--turned her cool, chic expression from staring at the notes in front of her to a cordial, welcoming grin. She seemed slightly amused because of Lauren's predicament as her dark eyes had a twinkle.


“Was I late or something? I swear I wasn't though...” Lauren grumbled in a whisper to her.

 

Tayoung quietly pointed to the clock. The bell was ringing just then as if mocking her. The clock was fast it seemed—it had already passed 9 o’clock by a few minutes, so even if the bell hadn't rang until she'd gotten inside, to the teacher she was late.

 

“Ugh, another truancy? Oh man, Umma's gonna kill me...” Lauren whined, stretching her arms across the desk and laying her head down.

 

Tayoung pet her head in comfort as she turned back to her notes. Lauren's next words were muffled because her lips were pressed against the wood surface.

 

“You're more of a nerd than I am. Our test isn't even for a week, you know.”

 

“I know but there's a lot to study and I want to get a 100 this time. There's no such thing as being too prepared, only not prepared enough.”

 

“You're a dork,” Lauren scoffed good-naturedly.

 

Tayoung didn't say anything in response to Lauren's teasing. The teacher tapped her shoulder with her pointer and Lauren immediately sat up straight. She pulled out a notebook and pen as the teacher started lecturing. Then for the next hour she was silent, obediently listening, taking notes, giving examples, asking and answering questions—again showing that she was a great student, intelligent, and one of the best in the class.

 

The bell dinged, signaling a twenty minute break for socialization, a quick snack, restroom break and a rest of their minds. Some students put their heads down to nap, others snuck out for a drink or a bathroom trip, some girls got into groups with the emptied desks to chat, and others pulled out sacked lunches full of snacks. Lauren's posse of friends came around her and Tayoung's desk as they did everyday. They chatted about boys, homework, makeup, mean teachers, new phones, new stores and what they were going to do over the weekend as they snacked and drank from clear bottles of water or packaged juices.

 

Tayoung just observed those around her silently as she ate cookies and from a white straw stuck in the top of a box of fruit punch, looking a bit like a hamster. Lauren was listening and answering questions cheerfully as they came to her, ruffling through her paper bag. Today Key umma had packed her a carton of strawberry milk, crackers, homemade chocolate chip cookies, a tangerine and a ham sandwich. She was craving the cookies most so took them out, happily surprised that they were still soft and warm.

 

As she popped a piece in , the chocolate goo sliding over her tongue deliciously, a topic caught her attention.

 

“Have you decided what you’re making yet?”
 

“No. Who are you going to give chocolates to?”
 

“Jay. I hope that he'll say yes!”

 

“Me too! I'm so excited.”

 

“How many days until Valentine's?” Lauren voiced curiously.

 

They all stopped and turned to her with ecstatic grins.

 

“Lauren, you're never interested in Valentine's Day! What's gotten into you?”

 

“Are you going to give chocolates to somebody this year?”

 

“Is there a certain boy you're hoping will confess to you? Who is it?”

 

Lauren laughed in honest amusement. The girls gave her quizzical looks.

 

“I was just wondering what day it was so I know to call in sick,” she joked.

 

They laughed and all made sounds like 'ehhh~' and playfully pushed her.

 

“I don't get why you hate it so much!”

 

“I would be flattered if even one guy confessed to me, but you have like twenty every year. It's so unfair. Sometimes I hate being your friend.”

 

“Yeah, she's too pretty and all the guys in the school like her while we're just overlooked and don't stand a chance. Last year, I thought my crush was going to confess to me, but actually he was just asking me to give a love letter to Lauren since we were in the same class,” one girl said while fake crying.

 

Lauren honestly felt bad about that. Heck, she felt bad about all of it, though she knew they were just joking and none seriously held that against her in a catty, bitter way. There was always trouble because of that day. She didn't like how guys came up to her only on that day asking her to go out with them. She barely even knew most of them so of course she would say no—apologetically and gently. And of course, she felt bad when her friends felt inferior or jealous. They were pretty girls that deserved attention much more than herself.

 

“I'm sure that everything will go smoothly for you all this year. I'll help you so you'll definitely get boyfriends,” she promised, directing the conversation on a more light-hearted path.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter