Key Lime Pie

Adolescence Is Atrocious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Sunday was Lauren's usual homework day. She got a visit from Tayoung and they did their homework and snacked on chocolate together, sharing in their life events from Friday and Saturday. She was surprised to hear Lauren's story but happy for her, saying that her and Yoogeun were a cute couple and she was relieved that Kyungsan wasn't actually being hurt by it. Lauren didn't tell her that she had doubts.

 

Kyungsan hadn't been messaging her though they usually talked every day, then there was the mysterious disappearance just before they were about to announce they were dating, and then there was just this weird feeling she got, but she was wondering if that was just wishful thinking or her over-thinking something. As long as they were still friends, she wasn't going to be concerned about every little thing anymore.

 

Tayoung had gone out shopping with Leo and he'd bought her a bracelet she was wearing. She seemed really happy and excited, totally on cloud nine. Lauren wondered why he didn't text Tayoung the whole time she was there though supposedly he was doing nothing at home. Yoogeun was out visiting with his parents but he was texting her pretty regularly.

 

He'd asked to get permission from her father so he could come over later. She thought that it was really sweet and kind of funny. Jonghyun wouldn't really ban him from coming over. His bark was always much worse than his bite.

 

The girls finished their homework and chatting and watched a comedy show they loved in her room until it got near dark. Then Tayoung left because her parents didn't like her walking out around outside alone after the sun set.

 

“Tell Yoogeun I say hi and congratulations.”

 

“Okay, I will.”

 

Lauren waved at her until she was gone from the street. She decided to sit at the steps until Yoogeun got there with her iPod since it was nice weather and she liked the breeze. A neighbor's cat that occasionally hopped their fence came over and played with her, laying in her lap when it got tired.

 

 

In the kitchen, Key was cooking as usual and Jonghyun was writing lyrics at the table so if Key needed any help like a taste tester or a human waste bucket, he'd be there.

 

“It's weird...” he murmured to himself.

 

“What is?” Jonghyun asked, not looking up from the paper he was scribbling on as he tapped a restless beat with his foot against the linoleum floor.

 

“When I was talking to Lauren the other night, I just had this feeling she liked Kyungsan more...”

 

“Maybe she changed her mind. They look cute together and he seems pretty sincere. I don't have a problem with it.”

 

“I don't have a problem with it either,” Key insisted. “It just seemed that she thought of them differently...”

 

He shrugged in defeat. “I don't get girls' hearts. They change all the time.”

 

“Funny you say that when you should be at least half...”

 

“Don't make me come over there and smudge this sauce all over your work,” he threatened with a dark, sauce-covered, wooden spoon.

 

Jonghyun obediently shut up but flashed him a playful smirk. Key smiled in amusement and shook his head as he turned back to cooking.

 

 

A car stopped in the driveway, its screeching breaks and rumbling motor coming through over the sound from her head-phones. Lauren sat with an excited smile and giddy feeling as she watched her boyfriend—what a weird, amazing thing just thinking that word made her feel—stepped out of the car and waved to his parents. She waved to them too as they drove off.

 

Yoogeun turned to walk up her driveway, hiding something behind his back. Lauren hopped up and ran to meet him at the gate, trying to calm her heart and stop her smile from going quite so unnaturally huge because she wanted to seem as normal as possible. Pfft, like she could act normal when her best friend suddenly turned her boyfriend and was coming to visit her on their first full day as an official couple.

 

Although his text messages and late night call had been about relatively normal things, she sensed a different meaning behind them—like he was being more caring, sweet, open and honest. She'd known him for so long that she could tell he was happier than ever and that made her happy because she was loved and because she made him feel that way. Even his voice affected her a bit differently now, the deep quality seeming to resound and rumble through her system like a bass line did to a sub-woofer.

 

“Hi~” she greeted him softly as she opened up the gate, her eyes going up and locking with his.

 

The big, dark opals seemed so precious now and evoked so much emotion she blushed straight down to her toes, turning the flame color of her sweater.

 

“Hey,” he said meekly out of shyness and sweetness, never being one to throw his emotions around or be overly active.

 

She felt the sincerity though in his wide smile, charming enough to make her toes curl and his perfect teeth blinding.

 

“I got these for you.” He pulled out a bouquet of white roses wrapped in yellow wax paper and dark green ferns.

 

“Oh, you shouldn’t have,” she said, smiling shyly as she accepted them.

 

She held them to her nose and smelt the sweet floral scent. He scratched his head in his nervous, awkward habit that changed the usually very manly man to awkwardly, boyishly cute.

 

“It's not like it's the first time. Remember, I got you some on White Day two years ago and then for your birthday last year.”

 

“Oh, yeah, I guess you did,” she replied, thinking back to it. This had a different meaning then.

 

“Did you know then?” she couldn’t make herself say the full question.

 

He turned a bit pink and looked down. “On your birthday, yeah.”

 

She thought back, thinking of how nervous he'd been about her reaction at that time. She hoped that she'd seemed happy enough about it. To make the atmosphere more comfortable, she moved down the walk-way.

 

“Come in. Appa and Umma are at home. They want you to stay for dinner. Umma's making your favorite.”

 

“Oh, right....They're probably wondering what's taking us so long.”

 

He followed her inside, politely taking off his shoes and squatting down to help her out of hers though they were just slip-ons. She held his shoulder so she wouldn’t fall and the way he took them off made her feel like Cinderella. Jonghyun was peaking around the kitchen wall, a studious expression on his face, and nodded in approval. Key's hand could be seen grabbing his collar with slowly creeping fingers, then in a flash he was tugged back and his head disappeared.

 

Lauren walked to the kitchen straight for a cupboard where they had vases for when Jonghyun brought Key flowers once a month or so just because. Yoogeun was left just kind of standing awkwardly on the other side when he came in.

 

“Hello,” he greeted politely.

 

“Hey, Yoogeun. What are your parents up to dropping you off so late?”

 

“ 'Sup?” Jonghyun gave him the 'I'm watching you' sign as he went back to the table.

 

“We went to go visit Grandpa's memorial with Grandma,” he answered.

 

Lauren was filling up a vase with water. Key was looking over his shoulder curiously—having to know exactly what was going on in every part of his kitchen at all times—then did a double take when he saw the flowers.

 

“Did Yoogeun get you those?” he asked with a crooked, pleased grin.

 

“Yes. I know you're jealous but you shouldn't let it show so much,” she answered playfully as she put the unwrapped stems in the vase and started to arrange the roses.

 

Key rolled his eyes and scoffed. “She gets that from you, dear.”

 

Jonghyun pushed up his glasses, raising his eyebrows without looking up from his lyric-writing which he'd resumed. His thumb clicked the end of the pen. “You have a lot more attitude than me, I'm pretty sure.”

 

Key had been burned from both of his family members so in retaliation he only talked to Yoogeun. “How is your grandma?”

 

“She's good. Still kicking and healthy.”

 

“That's good to hear. I miss seeing her. Tell her she's welcome any time and if she comes, I'll make her her favorite—cream puffs.”

 

“Oh, if you did that, she'll move in,” Yoogeun joked and laughed softly.

 

It was rare for Yoogeun to make a joke and it actually had Jonghyun and Key pause, sharing a split-second glance. Lauren grabbed her vase and started walking out of the kitchen, motioning Yoogeun to follow.

 

“Ah, where are you two going and what are you doing?” Jonghyun stopped them, earning a look of exasperation from Key.

 

“We're going to my room and watching a movie. That shouldn’t be a problem right as it never was before?” she answered with a look of challenging defiance.

 

“No, it's no problem, honey. Just go ahead and we'll call you down when dinner's ready,” Key said quickly, all sweet.

 

Lauren went ahead because she knew Key's authority trumped her appa's anyday.

 

“How could you let them be unsupervised in her room, yobeo?” they heard Jonghyun whine.

 

Key snapped back, “You want me to just put her in shackles and get you binoculars too? Grow up, Kim Jonghyun.”

 

“Yah, how could you hit me with that?!”

 

“Easy. Want me to show you again?”

 

“Ow!”

 

Yoogeun and Lauren laughed and caught each others eyes as they went up to the stairs. They blushed and shyly looked away again. Jonghyun's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter