Xoxo Cookies

Adolescence Is Atrocious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Yoogeun sat in contemplative thought in his bedroom, running his fingers over the plastic pages of a black binder. A small smile crossed his face. It was a photo book full of pictures of Lauren, the one's he'd taken over the years. He'd got them printed and deleted them from his camera—they were memories of a time when he'd thought he'd loved her. Now his camera was full of Tayoung and he wanted to stay faithful to her.

 

He couldn't just throw them away though. Lauren meant something to him and always would, after all. He thought of her as a little sister but it was wrong to just keep these private pictures of her. So he'd decided to give this to her, basically giving back her and his feelings and letting her decide what to do with them. He thought of it as an early birthday present. She had always been curious about his photos after all and they rightfully belonged to the person who was in them.

 

 

At the bus stop, Kyungsan and Lauren were already there, playing with each others hands and laughing. Kyungsan must have told her a funny joke like he usually did. Yoogeun remembered how he used to envy how easy it was for him to get her to laugh. Maybe that should have been a warning sign to him. He felt sad as he thought he might be interrupting them—they seemed to be in a world of their own. He'd be the third wheel in their relationship now.

 

But when the two turned to him with bright smiles, seeming honestly happy to see him, he knew that it wasn't like that. He was friends with them. They were in love but he only had normal feelings for Lauren, so there was nothing to get in the way and make their relationship awkward. He loved Tayoung a whole hell of a lot more than he even realized and he was excited at the thought of being able to go on double dates. He clutched his book with a bit more determination as he smiled and walked over to them.

 

“Hey,” they all greeted cheerfully.

 

“How you doing? Good to see up up, man. You look good!” Yoogeun hugged Kyungsan the way men do but a little bit tighter.

 

After going through this, Yoogeun felt closer to his friend. When he found out, he'd almost stalked those guys and beat them to a pulp. But they got suspended so that was justice enough and if he fought, he'd risk a lot and wouldn't be able to see Tayoung as often. He would make sure those guys knew Kyungsan had a strong upperclassman protecting him in the future though so the bullying would never happen again.

 

Kyungsan beamed as he pulled back. He cracked a bad pun and Yoogeun knew the guy was just fine. His ribs seemed to be almost healed too.

 

“What's that?” Lauren asked curiously, pointing to the small, black binder book.

 

“This is an early birthday present for you,” he replied, slightly sheepish and nervous.

 

She took it and gasped when she opened it.

 

“Whoa, you're so pretty! Yoogeun must have a great camera,” Kyungsan teased over her shoulder but the way he looked at the pictures and the girl next to him showed he was in awe.

 

“These are great! You have a real talent. Thanks so much for finally showing me,” Lauren said gratefully to Yoogeun, tears actually swimming in her eyes.

 

That told him so much more than mere words could say—that she was grateful, that she was sorry, that she appreciated knowing him and she didn't regret their time together or make a joke of his feelings. He brushed the back of his hair in his habit when he was embarrassed. It was getting so long he was thinking it really needed a trim. He'd been putting it in ponytail so it wasn't so bad and Tayoung had said she liked that after all.

 

“It was nothing really.”

 

“When you retire from baseball, you should really think about being professional.”

 

She was hugging the book tight to her chest, then Kyungsan took it and flipped through it and made Lauren pout.

 

Kyungsan, however, didn't look like he was giving in. “These are mine. My girlfriend’s personal collection of pin-ups should be with her boyfriend after all.”

 

Yoogeun just shrugged. He didn't really care who kept it between those two. It even made sense rather than Lauren having hundreds of pictures of herself that her boyfriend have them.

 

“What do you mean collection? What are you gonna do with them?” she said in playful exasperation, hanging onto Kyungsan's shoulder in an attempt to reach the book he was holding out of her reach.

 

“Oh you know,” he turned to give her a wicked grin and a charismatic wink.

 

She gasped and playfully hit his shoulder. “Yah! You ert!”

 

“It's not erted if it’s your girl, silly.”

Kyungsan flipped around and hugged her, holding her waist scandalously against him. Yoogeun coughed and casually averted his eyes.

 

“You're mine, remember?” he whispered lowly.

 

Lauren blushed, gulped and nodded, leaning against him helplessly. His charm worked wonders on her and those hands on her body....

 

“All yours,” she whispered back with a grin, leaning in to affectionately brush her nose with hers.

 

The bus pulled up and Yoogeun luckily didn't have to tell them they were being cheesy. The looks on the peoples' faces who thought they'd have a chance with the two again was priceless. Now the school would have two campus couples.

 

 

There was a long line of young people dressed nice or a bit flashy, groomed to perfection in an attempt to enhance their looks inside the SME music station. Each person had a white paper with a black number pinned on their clothes, an instrument in their hands, or headphones in their ears. Some of the long line of people in order were practicing.

 

Lauren—dressed in a simple spring dress, nice brown jacket and flat sandals with casual, pretty makeup that sparkled, her long, chestnut hair curled and running around her shoulders with Yoogeun's giraffe pinned on for luck—stood anxiously fiddling with her dress hem, unusually quiet. Kyungsan in a casually preppy outfit, hair fixed, and a leather jacket in colors that matched hers stood with his guitar around his shoulder, absently plucking the strings so a pretty melody sounded. He didn't seem anxious at all. He was even wearing a relaxed smile as he watched Lauren.

 

He rested against the wall and played, doing his best to get her to smile. But for Lauren, she was much too nervous and this meant too much to her. This was the first time she was auditioning and despite how much she practiced and others praised her, she wasn't that confident. She knew she wouldn’t make it unless she had that 'it' quality they were looking for.

 

She'd seen a lot of peoples' dreams crushed and she'd seen the exceptional people that made it into the company with her trips to visit her father. Because she'd always had an interest in it and the people there grew to like her, she was allowed to visit often after school and during weekends for long periods of time. Key had focused on her other arts mostly but also helped with her dancing. It was likely that she would know somebody on the judging crew.

 

Lauren was drawn out of her daze when Kyungsan gently brushed her arm. She focused in on his ridiculously beautiful face, shining because of makeup he didn't usually wear. He looked like an idol already.

 

“Are you nervous?”

 

She hesitated, biting her lip, and then nodded.

 

“Try not to be. You've prepared a lot. Rather than worrying about the outcome, how about you just try your best? You'll feel good then no matter what.”

 

Lauren thought on it for a while and then smiled. “Yeah, you’re right. Thanks for the advice.”

 

Kyungsan chuckled, his fox-like eyes crinkling, and pinched her cheek softly. “That's what boyfriends are for, Love. I'm here to make you happy.”

She blushed and murmured again, “Thanks.”

 

They heard their numbers being called to go in with the next group of auditioners. They held hands, flashing each other encouraging looks, and let go just before they went in. They were instructed to line up at the back. There was a counter of five people middle-aged and dressed professionally but relaxed, two of which Lauren recognized. There was a few chairs in the middle of the room. This first audition round was singing, then if you passed you had a round of dancing.

 

They watched as the performers went up, had a short interview, and then did their song. Luckily, it seemed no one in this group was using an instrument to perform live so they might have an edge—albeit only a creative one. What they were doing was difficult, more real, and would show much more potential than singing to background music like you were at karaoke.

 

When it was their turn, Lauren and Kyungsan stepped forward and bowed at the same time before they sat on the chairs. The judges folded their hands in front of them, a couple looking interested because they recognized her and the others bored. They started their questioning.

 

“Why don’t you give us a simple introduction.”

 

“My name is Kim Lauren. I'm half-Canadian. I am 170 cm tall. My weight is 46 kilos. I go to Whimoon High School. I'm interested in sports, dancing, singing and art. I am the class president at my school and speak fluent English.”

 

They clapped, some nodded with interest, and then turned to Kyungsan.

 

“My name is Lee Kyungsan. I'm 181 cm and weigh 63 kilos. I also go to Whimoon High School. I mostly study and am interested in business but I also like music like playing the guitar. I'm mostly here to help my girlfriend.”

 

They looked between them with a smile. The one she knew best said, “You're dating? What a pretty couple. I'm sure you're father gave you a hard time.”

 

Lauren laughed softly and nodded. “He always does. He never changes.”

 

“You know her father?” one guy judge asked her curiously.

 

“Her father is Kim Jonghyun. Lauren used to come visit a lot when she was younger. She knows our company and how an artist’s life is pretty well, don't you?”

 

Lauren seemed a bit embarrassed. “I guess so. I've been dreaming of being an artist since forever and my parents have tried to groom me for it.”

 

There were some surprised looks and quiet murmurs between them. They turned to Kyungsan. “Are you Lee Jinki's son by any chance?”


Kyungsan nodded.

 

“What does your father think about you being an idol?”

 

“My father supports everything I do. Even if I were to join this company, I would still go to college to major in business and eventually take over his company,” he answered with confidence.

 

“Obviously, we have a very mature, entertainment-cultured, connected pair here. Let's see if you have talent as well,” the cold-looking male judge in the center said with a gesture of his hand.

 

“I will be singing an acoustic live version of IU's Peach. Chalbuttakhaessumnida,” Lauren bowed.

 

Kyungsan turned slightly to her with his guitar resting on his knees, his long, agile fingers spread wide over the tan neck. He smiled in encouragement at her and she felt herself relaxing, her mind going back to the times when they'd practiced and how fun and smooth it had been. She prepared to focus on really maintaining the sweet quality of her voice and expressing the emotion in the song.

 

“Oh, with what word can I explain you? All the words of the world is probably not enough. With those legs that are so pretty by just standing still you walk towards me and you hug me...”

 

When they finished, to their surprise the people behind them and the judges clapped.

 

“Thank you for showing us that performance. You may leave now.”

 

“Thank you,” Kyungsan and Lauren stood up and bowed, then left the room with the rest of the group.

 

“That was great!” Kyungsan gave Lauren a high-five.

 

“It wasn't too bad,” she agreed with a bright smile full of relief and pride.

 

“I wish I could take you out for a celebratory date but we have to wait now,” he pouted.

 

She held his hand and they swung it as they went to the waiting room, passing all the anxious people who were in line still.


“I really wasn't expected our parents to come up.”

 

Kyungsan shrugged. “You know I don't like using our relations as a meal ticket usually, but in this case since it does help us, I don't mind. They’re not going to pick you just because of your father and your connection to the company. It will be your talent while your experience just gives you an edge. It makes you look more competent.”

 

“Yeah, I guess that's true. They wouldn't pick a person without potential no matter who their parents are—that would ruin their reputation and make them lose money in the end. They were rather interested in you.”

 

“Yeah, that was kind of surprising. I’m not very interesting and all I have is my guitar.”

 

“They heard you sing a bit too. You have a lovely voice,” she insisted, sitting down next to him.

 

“Do I? I've never really tried. I sing when I'm in the shower and when I play my guitar but that's it. They're looking for an idol anyway and they’ll see soon that I really can't dance.”

 

Lauren rolled her eyes, deciding not to argue with him. He really wasn't that bad at dancing. He was just clumsy and lacked confidence. If he had lessons, he'd probably be pretty good. His body looked like it was made for dancing, in fact. She didn't really know if Kyungsan could get in the company from a critical perspective but she hoped he did. It would be fun to at least go through the next round with him. Then if they were trainees in the company together, she could see him even after she went to college.

 

Kyungsan bought her some chips from a vending machine and they rested in the chairs, playing pointless handgames and listening to music as they waited. After an hour, all the first auditions were done and the waiting room was packed with anxious people waiting for results. Everybody went silent and turned their heads to a buzzing speaker.

 

“We'll be announcing those that made it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter