The Start Of A Blooming Rose

Hurt (Sequel To Heartless) [DISCONTINUED]

I woke up and sighed. I'd hoped to sleep through to the next day but who was I kidding? I couldn't sleep for twenty four hours right? It was night though and I knew that since I'd just woken up, I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.

I got up and stretched. I'd been sleeping in a cramped position and my muscles were aching. Going out of the bedroom, I realized that the lights were off in the dorm, except the ones in the kitchen so I just entered it. I saw Youngjae there, sitting at the dining table, looking out of the window, seemingly deep in his own thoughts. He seemed to be the only one here.

I was about to leave quietly when he turned and we locked eyes for a minute. There was something deep in them that made me unable to look away. He was the first to look away though, as he dropped his gaze and slumped his shoulders, staring at the wooden surface of the table.

Instinctively, my feet moved to him and I sat down beside him. He made no move however and kept staring down, fixing his eyes on an ant crawling across the table.

"Youngjae..." I said quietly.

He didn't answer. I didn't expect him to.

"Youngjae, can you look at me?"

He obeyed... wordlessly.

"Jae, it's not what it’s like-"

"-I'm sorry," he said.

"For what?" I asked, startled.

"I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for liking you. I'm sorry for being angry at you when I have no right to. I'm sorry I ever thought you'd care for me."

The last sentence stabbed my heart. I reached out a hand for Youngjae who drew his back, leaving my hand to grab nothing but thin air.

"Youngjae, how can you say that? I care for you. I really do," I told him.

"Not as much as I do though," he muttered. "And I shouldn't even have."

I sighed frustratingly and grabbed his hand, forcing my hand in his and held it tightly. Youngjae looked up at me and I stared into his eyes.

"Look, whatever you heard yesterday... It was a misunderstanding. Himchan hyung... well you know how much he likes to jump into conclusions. And it's not like that at all, honest! If you have to know..." I bit my lip and Youngjae continued staring at me with those orb-like eyes. "I was meeting Ailee," I said. "And she wanted to talk to me about it... about the matter."

Youngjae looked surprised but his expression soon smoothened over. "It's okay," he said in a strained voice. "You don't have to lie." He pulled his hand away from my grip. I looked at him disbelievingly. Why was he so unconvinced?

"Why won't you believe me?"

"I don't know... I just don't want to believe you anymore," said Youngjae. "You aren't telling me anything and this isn't the first time you've snuck out to see someone."

I was getting impatient. Who was he to say that to me when he was the one who was sneaking out to see that girl in the bakery?

"Funny you should say that," I snarled. "Since I caught you going to meet that girl in the bakery the other time."

I sat back and crossed my arms, watching with satisfaction as the colour drained out from his face.

"How did you... were you stalking me?" he asked incredulously.

I decided to ignore that question. "Who is she?" I demanded.

"What you just said. Some girl at the bakery," he replied. "And you haven't answered my question."

"Why were you meeting her?" I ignored him again.

"Did you overhear our conversation?" he asked suspiciously.

"No, I was watching from outside!"

"Ha! So you were stalking me!"

Again, I ignored that statement. "Tell me why you were meeting her."

Youngjae rolled his eyes. "I wasn't meeting her, she just happened to work there."

"But... if you weren't meeting her, why did you come out of the shop without buying anything?"

Youngjae's expression dropped to one of misery and again, he went back to the mood I'd caught him with in the kitchen.

"You'd know if you weren't so preoccupied today," he said softly.

"What do you mean?" I dropped my voice to the same tone.

Without saying anything, Youngjae stood up and went to the fridge. I watched curiously as Youngjae pulled out a box and placed it on the table.

"What's this?" I asked him.

Youngjae lifted the cover of the box to reveal a beautifully decorated cheesecake. Written neatly on the top with chocolate icing were the words 'Happy Birthday Daehyun!' Something rose up to my throat and I felt a warm sensation engulfing me.

"Happy Birthday, Daehyun..." Youngjae whispered.

I had forgotten completely that it was my birthday today. I was so caught up in everything that I lost track of the dates. I was speechless, not only did Youngjae remembered but he actually ordered a personalized cake for me. Guilt bloomed inside of me as I realized that I had misunderstood... completely.

"Youngjae... this..."

"I had it all set up with the candles this morning and was about to get you when..." he bit his lip.

I stared at the cake which had many small holes in it made by the candles he planted in that morning. I looked up at Youngjae and saw that he was looking completely forlorn. I stood up and went around him, giving him the warmest back hug I'd ever given and ignored it when he gasped in surprise.

"Thank you," I said sincerely. "I really appreciate it."

Youngjae smiled, and I guessed he'd felt my sincerity as he responded, "You're welcome."

I went back to my seat, this time marvelling the cake and longing to have a slice in my mouth. I felt my tongue get wet and had to gulp down to prevent myself from drooling. Youngjae chuckled at my eagerness and went to get some new candles. Planting them exactly in the same holes the previous ones were in, he struck a match and lit the cake up. It glowed beautifully in the dim kitchen.

Youngjae opened his mouth to sing the birthday song. I closed my eyes and listened to his heavenly voice. I loved it so much. It could penetrate to your soul and melt even the hardest hearts.

I clasped my hands together, and thought, I wish I can be together with Youngjae forever. Really? Was that what I just wished for? Smiling, I blew out the candles, putting us back in darkness once more.

Youngjae stared as I helped myself to a slice. "I know I misunderstood. And I'm sorry for it. I just love you too much and I'm afraid I would lose you," he said.

I tried not to smile too much when he said he loved me and I helped myself to the cake, putting a huge mouthful into my mouth and relishing the flavour. I loved cheesecake.

"But Dae... about the girl in the bakery... Why were you so worked up?"

"I was jealous alright?" I blurted out.

"Huh?" he cocked his head to one side in confusion.

I blushed and played with the cake on my plate. I knew I was turning into a tomato. I fanned myself. Why was this kitchen so hot all of a sudden?

"What do you mean by that?" Youngjae asked.

I looked up into his eyes. Our faces were close to each other’s. My eyes travelled down his features from his beautiful eyes to his perfect nose and finally, to his lips. My heart picked up its speed and I leaned forward. Nervousness built up inside me as I closed my eyes and captured Youngjae's lips in mine. The whole world spun fast on its axis and the kitchen was suddenly full of bright fireworks. His lips were undeniably soft and enchanting. I heard a gasp from him and a warm hand was placed on my chest. My heart accelerated as I deepened the kiss.

Youngjae pushed me away and I looked at him in confusion. He was blushing so hard that there wasn't an inch of his original skin colour on his face. Realizing what I'd just done, I widened my eyes and retreated quickly.

"J-Jae... I... S-sorry..." I stammered.

My heart was beating so fast. Youngjae stood up and cast a final glance towards me before hurrying out of the room. I sat in the kitchen, alone and shocked at my own actions. I placed a hand over my fractically beating heart and my lips. Did I just kiss Yoo Youngjae? I couldn't deny that... I liked it.

 

 

(A/N: Hope you liked it ;) I’m sure you did haha. Anyway, this was a treat for you :D Can’t say anything else so please subscribe and comment and those who have, thank you so much! ILY~)