Misunderstanding

Hurt (Sequel To Heartless) [DISCONTINUED]

"I don't know what's wrong with him," Youngjae said miserably to Jongup who was sitting at the dining table. "He won't speak to me and he keeps ignoring me."

"Relax hyung," Jongup reassured Youngjae. "I'm sure it's nothing."

"I don't know..." Youngjae said forlornly. "I don't know what I did but he seems to be angry at me."

Yeah right, I thought as I retreated from eavesdropping into their conversation. You don't know what you did? Now that's a laugh. I went back to the bedroom and sat down, my anger at Youngjae had not subsided yet. I looked up as the door opened and scowled when I saw that it was Youngjae. He opened his mouth to speak but I just brushed past him out of the room. Grabbing my hoodie which was lying on the sofa, I left the dorm.

There I was again, disobeying my manager and sneaking out for the tenth time. It wasn't that I had no respect for him though, somehow I felt that now that I was confined to the dorm and the company, it made me want to escape more than ever. I jogged in the warm summer air, regretting taking my hoodie along with me even though it was only to serve its purpose of disguising me. However I didn't need it though, the streets were empty and the only movement were the few cars rumbling down the road.

Fifteen minutes later, I felt a sharp pain attacking the side of my stomach and had to stop to sit down on a bench and wait for the stitch to be gone. I realized then that my physique was really weak. I hated exercise and that was probably why I didn't do it very often. Catching my breath, I leaned back on the bench and stared up into the sky.

My peace was disrupted when someone sat down beside me. I immediately turned to my right and saw someone I wouldn't like to see at all.

I groaned, "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you at your company as I heard you were confined to it but you escaped pretty well," said Ailee.

I said nothing and continued staring at the sky.

After a few minutes of silence, I spoke up, "Look, I'm not apologizing for what I said before. I'm standing by it and I'm not altering my words."

"I'm not looking for an apology," Ailee shook her head.

"You're not?" I cast a surprised glance at her.

"No," she repeated. "I've been thinking."

"Congratulations," I said sarcastically.

She ignored my remark and continued, "I've been thinking about what you said the other day."

"And?" I looked at her curiously.

Ailee sighed. "And I'm confused."

I stared at her. There was a sad look in her eyes and I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Shaking these weird thoughts out of my head, I said, "Well you shouldn't be. You can just accept the truth for what it is."

Ailee didn't say anything so I just sighed and returned to staring at the sky.

"Remember that time when you were late for school?"

I glanced at her.

"And my mum had to rush you over in her car?" she added.

I chuckled. "Yeah and you were pissed at me because she had to stop by my school before sending you off to yours."

Ailee smiled at me. "So you do remember. And do you remember what happened afterwards?"

I stared at her blankly.

"It was the first time you were late for school," Ailee was keeping her lips pressed so as not to burst into laughter. "And you were so scared you peed in your pants."

My face turned red instantly. "Oh yeah I remember. I bet your car stank after that," I grinned.

"Oh yeah," Ailee scrunched up her nose. "It was really smelly. I almost puked."

I chortled and she followed right after. The two of us sat there, laughing at the memories of our childhood when we had been friends. As flashbacks ran through my mind, my smile faded when most of them were littered with smiling images of my brother and Ailee together. I heard a sigh on my right and didn't need to turn around to know that Ailee was suffering from the same happy memories, the memories we both longed to relive.

"You're very much like your brother you know?" Ailee spoke quietly. "You look a lot like him and both of you have that stubborn nature when it comes to making others see the truth."

I nodded and froze before turning my head. "Wait..." I said slowly and Ailee looked up at me. "Did you just say 'the truth'?"

Ailee frowned in confusion before widening her eyes and spluttering, "Oh! Not the truth... I mean... Why did I say the truth when it isn't...?”

I watched as she became flustered and stood up.

"I think I'd better be going," she muttered. "I need to get some rest, I'm not thinking straight."

"Ailee..." I started.

"Bye," she said hastily before turning around to cross the road.

My body reacted before my mind could comprehend the situation. I jumped up from my seat and my hand reached out to grab hers before pulling her to me. Her eyes widened as a big truck zoomed past her, the driver shaking his fist at her and sounding the horn.

Ailee turned to me and blinked. I stared back at her, surprised at my own fast reaction. She was speechless and I thought fast of something to say.

"Why didn't you look out for cars?" I said.

Ailee giggled nervously and twisted her wrist from my grasp. "Thank you," she murmured, keeping her gaze down.

"Just... try to be careful alright?" I said awkwardly before turning on the spot and running away from that tense atmosphere.

It was so weird and I didn't know how to act in that situation. I went back to my dorm and closed the door, my mind still blank. I was so preoccupied that I didn't notice it when Youngjae came up to me.

"Daehyun ah," he said before snapping his fingers in front of my face.

"Huh?" I said, all anger towards him forgotten. All I felt right then was a numb sensation.

"I've got something for you at the kitchen-"

"Not now, Jae, I'm tired," I walked past him and entered the room, thinking of how Ailee had slipped out 'the truth' and wondering what was actually in that girl's mind.

I sighed. "She almost looked like she actually believed me."

"Who's she?" I looked up to see Himchan sitting on his bed. I hadn’t noticed that I wasn’t alone in the room. Then again, I hardly noticed anything.

"Uh..." I hesitated and watched with dread as Himchan's smile widened.

"Don't tell me it's your girlfriend?" he said.

"What? No!" I exclaimed.

"So it is!" Himchan snapped his fingers and pranced to the door, opening it to find Youngjae standing there.

"Youngjae ah, guess what?" Himchan slung an arm over his shoulders.

"What?" Youngjae asked.

"Daehyun has a girlfriend," Himchan grinned and cast a sly glance at me, oblivious to the darkening expression on Youngjae's face.

"Hyung... I don't have a girlfriend," I tried to explain.

"Then why were you muttering about a girl?" Himchan still had that goofy smile on his face. "And you seemed preoccupied. If I had to guess, I would say you just came back from a date and-"

"Hyung!" I yelled.

Himchan shot me a wink and left the room. Youngjae lingered around the doorway and I caught his eyes, dread filling me as I saw that they were full of pain.

"Youngjae ah," I said softly.

Youngjae nodded before biting his lip and leaving the room, slamming the door behind him. I buried my face in my pillow and sighed at the misunderstanding. How I hated Himchan at that moment. As I lay there immersed in my own thoughts, I heard Himchan shouting in the living room, apparently overjoyed at my expense.

"Chan ah, why are you so happy?" I heard Yongguk's deep voice ask.

"Our Daehyunnie has a girlfriend!" Himchan exclaimed.

"And you're happy because?"

"Well, he seemed to be miserable when I found out so I'm just being happy for him."

"Tsk," said Yongguk. "Just like you to poke your nose into other's business."

And that started a sort of argument. I clamped the pillows over my head. Things couldn't go any worse than now and I only hoped that Youngjae would listen to me when I try to explain to him.

 

(A/N: Yeah… short one :/ Sorry, I’ll make it up to you in the next chapter *wink wink*)