RING // NAP.

Cotton Socks

 

     Niel wore three rings. His engagement ring, his wedding ring, and Minsoo's ring. His wife often asked about Minsoo's ring, Niel always brushed her off, saying it was unimportant. It was quite the opposite. In many ways, that ring was more important than his wedding ring.

    Minsoo had given him that ring when they were young. Before he joined the Army. Minsoo wore one too, it was a promise, never to forget eachother. Niel would never forget Minsoo anyway, ring or not. On the silver surface, English words were engraved. Niel didn't know what they said and when he asked Minsoo; 'I'll tell you when I see you again' was the reply. No matter how curious he got, he never got a translation. It would be like betraying Minsoo if he did. Niel could never do that.

   "Daddy, there's strange people at the door!" Mirae came running up to him, almost tripping over on the way. She didn't quite have the balance her Father possessed, it made her cute though. Niel loved her dearly.

 

     Minsoo leaned down, tucking the bright yellow flower in Niel's hair.

    "You're as pretty as a girl, Niel-ah."

    "That's why you like me right, hyung?"

    "No. Not at all. I like you..." Minsoo sat down next to him, slinging an arm over his shoulders. It was lazy summer days like this that Minsoo lived for. He poked Niel's nose playfully, "Because you're you." Niel blushed and looked toward his feet, making sure his hair fell in front of his eyes.

     "Hyung... Aren't you scared?" The smaller of the two curled in on himself, tucking his knees as far up as they would go. Minsoo held onto him tighter, pulling him into his chest.

    "Of what?"

    "This." Minsoo knew what he meant. Niel was already teased for his looks, he didn't need to be teased for his uality as well. He hardly went to school now thanks to the bullies. No matter how much protection Minsoo offered, Niel turned it down. He 'didn't want to cause a fuss'.

    "No."

 

    When Niel opened the door, a time-worn old man in crisp clean uniform stood on the other side, a solider by his side. What did they want, he wondered. Why had they come to him?

 

    Minsoo rarely sent letters to him. He said it was because Niel would be unable to read his handwriting. Niel could read it perfectly, even if it was messy. So when that handwriting came through his letterbox, his heart throbbed in his chest. Minsoo always talked about his memories in his letters, reminiscing of their school days together. Probably to take his mind off it all. But this time, he talked about his training and how he was finally about to serve aboard. Niel smiled, he was proud of his boyfriend.

 

    After introductions, the two sat down in his living room and removed their hats. Niel was glad his wife was at work, he had a bad feeling about this. Mirae had been told to play upstairs, but see watched through the banister, worried for her Father. The old man shifted in his seat, clearing his throat.

    "You were friends with Bang Minsoo, yes? He told us to give you this." The surly looking solider reached into his shirt, taking out a envelope carefully.

 

    He fell into the cold water, laughing all the way. "Yah! Hyung!" He whined, splashing water at Minsoo. Minsoo laughed along with him, returning the splash attack tenfold. They had gone to the river for their date. They often came to the river regardless, the river's bank of flowers was almost like a second home to them. No-one came this far down the river so they always had it to themselves. The clean water was refreshing on a unbearably hot day like today. They had prepared a picnic for later, well, Niel's mother had.

     Niel pulled himself back up onto his feet, laughing at the soaked state of themselves. Minsoo grinned at him, leaning down and stealing a peck from his lips before he skipped away. Niel blushed and tried to catch him and pull him into the water. They messed around like children for hours, the sun started to set when they finally remembered about their picnic.

 

    Niel opened the paper apprehensively, why did it have to be given to him? What was in it that was so important? He stopped suddenly, "Why are you here?" His voice almost broke, his hands shook a little. The Lieutenant cleared his throat, looking Niel straight in the eye.

    "Bang Minsoo was killed in service..."

     Niel didn't hear the rest, the rest of his words didn't matter. In an instant he was hollow, utterly hollow. His mind numb and his heart bleeding.

 

    "I'm going to sign up," Minsoo said, staring at a recruitment poster. Niel kept on walking. "I'm not joking, Niel."

    Niel spun around, surprised by Minsoo's serious expression. It scared him. Minsoo often spoke of the Army and how he would proudly serve his country. It was usually during a action movie or when they were working out. Niel brushed it off as a joke since Minsoo laughed about it. He always figured Minsoo wanted to go into some sort of teaching so he didn't worry about it. He never imagined their lives would take such different roads.

    "But... What about me?"

    "You'll be a photographer," Minsoo smiled.

    "You could get killed!" Minsoo's smile vanished, that unnerving seriousness returning. Niel did not want to think about life without Minsoo. It was unbearable. Minsoo helped him grow up, find out who he was, supported him no matter what. He needed Minsoo. Minsoo was his other half, his soulmate. Minsoo is like his blood, his oxygen.

     "I'll do anything for our country. You know that, Niel." He often wondered if his boyfriend loved Korea more than him. "I'll do anything for you. I'll always protect you."

    It took a while for Niel to come around. They had gone days without talking to eachother because Niel was still upset. Eventually he realised that he should respect Minsoo's wishes, he was an adult, he could make decisions. He was doing his country a good service. He would write letters, call now and then, he would visit when he was on holiday. He promised. So when his time came, Minsoo called Niel out, dragging him to their flower filled spot by the river.

    The air was still between them, both unable to say the words that needed to be said. Minsoo plucked up the courage after a while, holding out a small black box toward his boyfriend. At first Niel thought it was a wedding ring, but then he realised this wasn't a dream. This was real, this was reality. He took the box, shaking a little, he had no doubt jewelry would be inside. He knew what it meant instantly, but he didn't want to accept it yet. It was too soon. Opening the lid, a glittering sliver ring sat inside, it's simple beauty almost dazzling him. Black letters ran along it in English.

    Minsoo took it out, taking Niel's left hand he slipped it on his wedding finger. Niel felt the burn of tears in his eyes. It looked beautiful on his long finger, it could pass for an average ring if it wasn't on his wedding finger. Minsoo was silent, his face blank as Niel admired the metal.

    "What does it say?"

    "I'll tell you when I see you again."

 

    He was persuaded to read the letter, the paper dirty and crumbled slightly.

    'I fell for you. You are my angel.'

 

    Mirae had it translated, it's meaning unknown to her. Her Father had passed the ring down to her, she knew it wasn't anything to do with her Mother. Perhaps she'll never know what it means, but it was important to her Father. So as she sat down next to his bed, the beep of his heart through the machine sounding regular and true, she twirled the ring around on her finger.