Frost Bite

Eye of the Storm

Idek what this turned into, but I made it pretty long.

And like, wtf. THis turned out way more angsty than I thought it would. XD But whatevs, the fluff later will be worth it.


Spring delving into Summer: the epitome of disgusting weather to one member of the mystical EXO Family. The sweltering heat distinguished his powers by far worse than usual and with a small headache resting on his brow, the pale boy curled into a loose ball of limbs against the vacant couch and tried to manipulate his body temperature in order to cool his sweat slickened skin. He was small in comparison to most of his family and always held pale, alabaster skin year-round, as if he had never met the sun before. It was a habit of his, allowing his power to stray across his body and leave his flesh pearly white to the touch; he was usually called the ‘Frozen Statue’ by his brothers due to the nature of his power and how unhuman he could look at times.

The boy whimpered lightly; his attempt at simmering down had failed considerably, his headache gradually worsening to the point of near fainting proportions. In his bout of stiffening nausea, the sickle boy heard nothing of the tall, motherly male who entered with a bucket rocking gently in his sun-kissed hands. His hair was rather short in comparison to his longish sweeping bang, the color matching homely red chestnuts and smooth warmed skin to match. The pail in hand weighed a considerable amount, having been filled to the brim with cold ice from Antarctica, Xiumin's favorite.

The boy with healing hands and a nurturing heart slowly set the bucket of ice to the ground by the vast couch that Xiumin barely covered and kneeled down to face his scrunched brow. He took a moment to examine the pale boy curling into a tighter ball and the low moans of pain echoing from his parted lips as he in air to help his shuddered breathing. Every inch of the room gradually began to freeze over, beginning with the couch and ending with light icicles forming along the ceiling. Xiumin had been known for an outrageous temper and possessive tendencies that both caused him to lose control of his powers, but this was a first. The healer slowly reached a hand for Xiumin’s face, flinching as he met warm, burning cheeks and sweat. Xiumin had never been so warm before, it was impossible for him to ever reach such a temperature due to being the embodiment of ice, so why, the mother of over the EXO Household pondered.

“L-Lay?” Lay hummed lowly in reply and applied more pressure to Xiumin’s clammy cheek, pressing energy into the boy as a means to calm his body. With the power to heal in his inventory, Lay placed his other hand to Xiumin’s empty cheek and closed his eyes.

  “Y-You’re hands feel c-cold.” Lay smiled at the remark and slowly rubbed his thumbs along Xiumin’s plump cheeks, they were beginning to show a pink, healthy color, which was not healthy in the least. Pulling his hand away, the brunette haired male dunked his hand into the pail, the bottom had become frozen to the ground, to pluck out a small chunk of ice.

“Guess what I brought for you,” Lay asked quietly, scared he might cause his brother pain. He watched Xiumin open his large orbs, his lids drooping slightly as he fought to stay awake. His stomach lurched suddenly as more ice filled the room.

“What?” Lay lifted his hand to show Xiumin the piece of ice and Xiumin cracked a smile. When unangered, the frost controller could be as adorable as the youngest and Lay could barely control himself from pinching his cheeks, but he might have been frozen into an ice block if he tried.

“Straight from Antarctica. Kai said you owe him.” Kai was a younger brother and held the power to control the influx of his body and travel through dimensions to any plane in the world. He could be an idiotic handful, but as Lay fed Xiumin the first piece of Antarctic ice, he agreed that in the future, he would stop freezing Kai to the wall in the living room.

“You look better already,” the Guardian over the family and Lay’s lover of almost 16 plentiful years, Suho, spoke as he entered. His vibrant red hair lay dark red and drenched through, a towel hanging over his shoulder as he began to quickly dry his hair before Xiumin’s unattended power gave him brain freeze. Xiumin did, in fact, feel better from tasting the delicious ice, but there was still an unsettling feeling in the atmosphere, in the air. As if something was coming and Xiumin would not be able to avoid it; it would be an unpleasant happening and for the first time, Xiumin admitted to himself that he was a bit afraid.

Afraid that his family could be in danger.

“It’s the ice,” Xiumin murmured, using Lay’s hands as leverage to sit and reigning in on his power. in a painfully deep breath of air, the atmosphere suddenly turned warmed, the ice spreading everywhere retracting until there was virtually nothing left. Suho stalked closer and easily lifted the slightly wet pail to hand over to the ice bender, and sat on Lay’s other side, greedily pulling the male into his lap. Xiumin kept his eyes on his ice and the delicious way the solid water melted under his tongue to slide down his parched throat. Already, the disgusting air did nothing to bother him as much as it would moments ago, but there was still that irking in the back of his mind. Someone had to be messing with nature for him to feel so awful, but as far as he knew, his younger brother of sorts, Sehun, didn’t know how to manipulate wind that well.

“Why are you back so soon?” Lay murmured, leaning back into Suho’s chest and closing his eyes, “I thought you would be there for a few days.” The Guardian had been away in another dimension with half of the family for an urgent meeting with their ancient grandparents; something was going on too close to home and the old ones had demanded to speak with Suho, who took the members Luhan, whose power of telepathy and dimension travel could come into useful play, Baekhyun, who had to be literally shoved into the portal Suho created due to his unwillingness to leave Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, who Kai kept holding onto, and Tao, who could easily decrease the time they had to stay and allow them to go home at a much earlier time. Xiumin had been the first choice to go over the youngest, but having fallen sick, thus staying behind and being cared for by Lay.

“Actually, Halmoni and Haraboji found something.” Xiumin paused his next action, the ice crushed against his teeth vanishing into spiritual energy. Lay propped himself up and tilted his head back to see Suho’s poker face. Their grandparents were older than possibly the creation of half of the dimensions that exist, and know many things from all of the places they traveled to in their younger days. If they found something, Xiumin mused, then they must feel the unsettling in the air too.

“What is it? Did they  . . . find him?” Suho’s face deflated and the light air around him disappeared into nothing, as he thought about his brother who had yet to come home. They had fought, water against fire, a water sprite versus a skulking dragon, and it left Suho bleeding in a field, crying his eyes out as his brother flew away and into another dimension. If Lay had not been by his side, Suho would’ve died a crying, bleeding mess.

“No . . . they found . . . another person who might belong to our family. We might have another brother.”

Another brother?

How was that even possible?

Despite being the oldest, Xiumin could remember the day their parents gave the position of Guardian over EXO to Suho and Kris; they were much, much younger than the present and Kris had been the dictator whereas Suho had been the loving father to the remaining nine. Nine. Ten. Eleven. No twelve.

And even earlier in time, ever since they were kids, before the twins Tao+Sehun, and Kai had been born, when Baekhyun and Chanyeol were mere toddlers creating dimes of light and small flickers of fire, and baby Kyungsoo could throw a tantrum and break his crib, they were always aware of what they were and how many members stood and would be. Xiumin had only ever known the number eleven, breathed the number eleven, felt it in his mind and soul.

Because, he was alone. He had always been the only one without someone, because even he knew that if Kris had been there, Tao would be with him; it was clear enough. Xiumin could see the couples even before their creation, he could see the way Suho became selfish whenever Lay was involved and the way Lay took care of Suho’s every need. They supported each other, they took care of everyone after Kris disappeared. Xiumin could see the way Sehun turned into a shy, giggly teenage boy whenever Luhan held him, whereas without the older beauty, Sehun was quiet and stoic. As children, Luhan used to carry Sehun around in his arms and on his back.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were perfect together; as best friends, and Xiumin knew they would become lovers. Baekhyun’s light matched well with Chanyeol’s fire and their personalities were much too similar. They laughed a lot and were playful and cute and everyone loved them to death. Lastly, Kai had been in love with Kyungsoo as a baby, as a little boy, and even now as a teenager, but Kyungsoo either played oblivious or honestly had no idea how his best friend viewed him. The doe eyed boy liked to give Kai bone crushing hugs, his energy flooding out of him by mistake, and in return Kai would take him around the world and back.

So it was obvious to Xiumin that the empty seat behind would always remain hollow simply because there was eleven and not twelve.

“Are you s-sure,” Lay asked, his heart fluttering enough for Suho to feel the pulsation all around him. They were so bonded together that Suho could taste Lay’s energy on his tongue and in vice versa, “How do they know?”

“They said in the beginning they weren’t too sure, it’s tornado season and they assumed Sehun had just gotten out of hand with being able to play outside more freely, but then, a thunderstorm erupted out of thin air a few towns away and vanished just as quickly as it came. They said there was mostly lightning instead of the normal high wind, and the town was nearly destroyed by electricity alone, Sehun can barely make the beginning wind for a twister without fainting. Then the lightning appeared again and killed 7 people who happened to be outside at the time. Halmoni thinks it's one of us doing it somehow, but Haraboji says he's sure it's another member, an unknown one. We have no idea what he's capable of besides what we've been told, so we know his power is nature and he draws electricity from the sky. By the track he's on, he'll be here by the end of the week."

A small patch of ice trickled out of the pores of Xiumin’s wrist and raced across his flesh to freeze over just before the liquid could drop. His senses began to work, shooting frost energy along the atmosphere to see, smell, and taste from the outside. He had learned this from his intensive training away from his family; he was used to journeying off on his own for a few months or years at a time, traveling across the present and different dimensions before sating his need for adventure and returning home. The air was dry and stale, as if a person had deliberately away the air and replaced it with a vacuum. A storm was brewing, the ice creator could sense it, and it would be a large one.

“Then what are we going to do,” Xiumin asked, forcing the ice wrapped around his wrist to melt into his skin, “We can’t stay here, someone could get hurt.” It was true, especially regarding Tao, Sehun, and Kai. The young ones were the most important at the moment, and because of their inexperience, if the family ever came face to face with the unknown person at hand, there was a high chance one of them, if not all, could die in the process. Kai could jump anywhere he liked, but once in a while he found himself lost in a dimension, Tao could destroy worlds if he died, if not the universe, and Sehun was too sensitive to control wind correctly, he might cause damage to himself.

“But someone has to; we can’t desert the people here, they’re innocent and they’ve done nothing wrong.”

“But who?” Xiumin could hear the anxious vibrato in Lay’s voice. EXO was his family, his maternal instincts had kicked into gear.

“I-“

“I’ll stay,” Suho and Lay turned in protest, but Xiumin had already shifted off of the warm couch and to his feet, pail of rock hard ice in hand, “After all, the both of you will have to take care of the rest of our family.” Xiumin sighed as he walked through the living room opening and into the intricate maze of halls leading passed bathrooms, empty cabinets, the vast kitchen, training rooms, and different rooms with specific power symbols imbedded in the room doors. The mansion was old and made of pure stone with intricate modern technology, such as outlets and light bulbs and fans. There was always a draft at night that only Xiumin seemed to be immune to and the house produced enough energy to sustain the amount of damage it could from spliced dimensional portals, chairs being mindlessly-literally-tossed to and fro, fireballs accidentally hitting stone, and stomping that could cause massive earthquakes.

At that moment, an earthquake had occurred.

 

“Sehun, let’s go,” Xiumin distinctively heard Luhan say as another earthquake sent shockwaves through the weathered mansion, shaking the foundations of the building and the small male could hear the noise of glass shattering in the distance. His short form walked down the dark, dank hallway and turned the corner to his left, torches imbedded in the stony walls lighting up as he passed. The air began to flatten the closer Xiumin inched towards his room, becoming rigid and cold. When Xiumin was born, the mansion had been small and kept away, and his room had been the central aspect of the entire makeup of the house, but as his brothers came to be, he graciously moved his room further and further away to keep from freezing them to death in his sleep, when he usually let his energy unconsciously spread. The bucket in his grasp became heavier as the ice meshed together into one block Xiumin would enjoy eating later. Antarctic ice was delicious and sweet, untouched, and filled with innocent energy. It made Xiumin stronger than the normal ice he makes with Suho or the ice he usually eats from freezing Kangnam River while the humans slumber.

As Xiumin passed by an empty slab of stone wall, his feet abruptly stopped all movement, a current of unfamiliar energy encasing his ice cold flesh and running up his nerves. Like electricity. Something from the empty piece of stone drew his senses away, his large eyes squinted through the darkness to try and make out any shadows. Tao and Kai had a habit of using their powers to scare the others while they walked down the hallway, but no, this was entirely something else. No one had the power to cause this shock moving through him, vibrating each and every one of his nerves until his teeth chattered. The wall looked bland and old, black stone, but as Xiumin watched, a piece of the wall began to crumble into dust, a straight line digging into the wall. Another line was carved with an invisible knife, more dust falling in a light sheet against the ground. Xiumin felt perplexed, he could walk away and leave it as something the house could conjure, or he could stay and see the image or words being imbedded in the wall.

Either way, this was the working of something much stronger than even Kris. With eyes wide open as to not miss a thing, Xiumin took a step closer to the wall and saw a symbol being completed. It was new and elaborate, a spark of blue energy burning within the carving to show what resembled a scorpion. The power radiating from the simple picture overpowered Xiumin's senses and forced him to take another step forward, the hand holding air reaching to touch the symbol. The light dimmed the closer Xiumin reached, using the tips of his toes and fingers to touch the pretty symbol.

It shocked him.

 

 

 

Only Part 1 . :)