~Prologue Two

용문신 ~ The Dragon Tattoo

A bright, cosy room; its gentle silence broken by the occasional snore. The old light bulb buzzed and flickered, complaining its old-age. Sleeping forms were strewn all over the blanket covered floors, their limbs overlapping furniture and human alike.

 

The silence was broken by a piercing wail from the alarm clock, and the bodies jumped slightly, surprised at the unexpected intrusion. Everyone shuffled around, silently wishing for someone to get up and turn the damned thing off.

 

As everyone pretended to be asleep, a raging contest ignited: Who was to get up and turn the clock off? After a solid minute of tension, Leeteuk kicked his duvet in resignation and squashed the alarm clock into submission. He scratched his head tiredly and started to roll the other boys off the blankets around the room. Leeteuk prodded Eunhyuck with his toe.

 

‘Oi, you. Get up.’

 

Eunhyuck opened an eye and growled. ‘Go away, hyung.’

 

This earned a painful kick of annoyance from the older boy; Eunhyuck yelped and buried himself deeper into his duvet.

 

‘It’s our opening day! We can’t be late to open the shop!’

 

‘Yeah, yeah…’ The younger trailed off, pulling the blanket over his head completely.

 

Leeteuk rolled his eyes but left his brother to enjoy the rest. They had baked, kneaded, iced and decorated for the last few days without sleep, so everyone was bound to be tired. Closing the door quietly, he stepped into his old bunny slippers and dragged himself along the hallway to the bathroom. After a quick shower, he dried himself and pulled on his old jeans and hoodie. He walked out of the corridor and slowly pushed the kitchen door; smiling as the warm smell of the bakery surrounded him. The oven lights flickered on as he pushed the switch on the pastel walls. He turned to put on his apron, but remembering something, looked up to the kitchen clock.

 

‘4 hours until the opening…’ Leeteuk murmured, a smile tugging at his lips.

 

Changing his mind and leaving the bright pink apron on the stool, he went through the little wooden archway connecting the shop and the house together. His heart started to beat faster in anticipation as he took in the small café, admiring every aspect of the room.

 

Pulling out a chair from a circular cream table, he sat on the very edge – afraid that he’ll mar the result of the year’s worth of hard work. They had scraped every last penny to buy the shop; and for the thirteen trainee bakers… it had been a huge amount of money to come up with. Leeteuk smiled at the memories of skipping meals, taking cold showers, patching clothes and other actions from the let’s-save-money-for-the-shop project. He snickered as he remembered the pained look Shindong had whenever he passed a snack bar in the streets…

 

His thoughts were interrupted with the sound of the bells and the creak of the front door. Leeteuk blinked and stood up quickly. A shadowed figure stood in the gap between the half-opened doors.

 

‘Er… We’re not opened yet-’ Leeteuk began, but was interrupted when the woman shoved a small boy into his arms. Instinctively, he held the small figure and looked up questioningly towards the mysterious woman. He gasped to find her gone; He tried to rush out of the door, but was stopped by a pair of small hands. A pair of blood-caked, bruised, muddy hands.

 

The boy held Leeteuk’s worn hoodie with a firm grasp. ‘D-Don’t go…’ His arms started to shake as tears ran down his abused face. ‘Don’t make me return…!’

 

Leeteuk pulled him into a hug and studied the sobbing boy in his arms. Silently taking in the cuts, bruises and ripped clothing, he hugged the boy tighter, wondering what he had gone through at such a young age.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The twelve boys stared at the small sleeping figure in Leeteuk’s arms. After the general confusion, they had come to the decision that they would look after the boy until they could return him.

 

‘Wow… he’s so cute.’ Donghae pinched the boy’s cheek lightly.

 

‘Yeah…’ Leeteuk murmured, deep in thought.

 

‘What’s his name?’ Heechul asked, smiling at the little figure and ruffling his soft brown hair.

 

‘I think it’s… Lee Jinki.’ Leeteuk said quietly. ‘But, he doesn’t like it… it was engraved in his back… I saw it when he got out of the shower – it was still bleeding.’

 

The twelve boys instantly silenced, their facial expressions ranging from pure disgust to undisguised anger.

 

‘… So, he needs a new name.’

 

‘To what?’

 

LeeTeuk looked at the small, white face below him. ‘On… new... Peaceful and gentle – that’s what I want him to be from now…’

 

 

How was it?? I'm actually pretty dissapointed at how it turned out :'( it sounds so rushed and unprofessional!!