chapter seven

How to Save a Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 


-Chapter Seven-

Awake

 

 

 

 

Sometimes you thought everything was still the way it used to be. You thought nothing change, that you were still the same and you will stay the same but then someone will enter your life...

 

‘Wow seems like this year’s Picasso became more interesting with a prodigy joining in,’ Wooyoung said taking his seat as other faculty members nod in agreement. Sohee let out a sigh, frustrated. ‘I should have not accepted his application I mean can he even finish it?’ Sohee said shaking her head.

 

‘Too late for regrets, besides wouldn’t it be interesting let’s see how a genius will pull this right?’ Yunbin chipped in earning different reactions from her co teachers. ‘So what can you say about the sketch that the genius G-Dragon passed?’ she asked in curiosity hyping up everyone.

 

‘Well,’ Sohee breathed out as she carefully slid the sketch in a portfolio of the contestant together with his form. ‘I honestly expected more,’ she chuckled out. ‘What does that even mean?’ Seulong asked joining the conversation. ‘Why is it not good? It’s still a sketch anyway,’

 

‘Well I was hoping to be really impressed even with just a sketch but then like what you said is still a sketch who knows right,’ Sohee answered. ‘He’s not called genius for nothing,’

 

‘So what was the sketch?’ Wooyoung asked. ‘Can we see it?’ Yunbin said. Sohee rolled her eyes. ‘No,’ she answered firmly. ‘It’s simple and like he took the prompt literally,’ she added as everyone let out their ‘ohs’ except Dara who was still busy writing down on her notebook.

 

‘Now I’m actually curious if he will be able to win this or will the great G-Dragon face his first lost,’ Wooyoung chuckled. ‘Want to bet?’ Seulong suggested as they started placing and making their own bet. ‘Please don’t get this started,’ Mr. Song breathed out in disbelief. ‘Mr. Song, don’t be a killjoy okay?’ Changmin interjected chuckling. ‘Just place your bet if G-Dragon will win or not,’

 

‘What’s the title of his work anyway?’ Yunbin asked turning to Sohee. ‘Butterfly,’ Sohee answered checking on the portfolio. ‘Butterfly?’ Seulong asked in disbelief. ‘I think the genius didn’t understand the prompt,’ he said shaking his head. ‘What would be the relation of butterfly in the prompt? Seriously?’ Wooyoung asked. ‘Okay I’m betting the genius will lose this time,’ he added chuckling as everyone followed.

 

‘Actually it’s appropriate for his work,’ Sohee said as everyone started their own discussion once more. ‘Aishh! Just let us see the sketch!’ Yunbin said hissing. ‘I can’t so stop forcing me okay,’ Sohee said chuckling. ‘I guess we have to wait till tomorrow then. Aishh I’m dying out of curiosity here,’ Wooyoung hissed scratching his head.  ‘That’s if he finished it,’ Sohee breathed out.

 

‘Come on stop underestimating the kid, he even promised crossing his heart,’ Seulong said sniggering as everyone laughed with him.

 

Their laughter soon died as Dara stood up quietly fixing her things as she slipped her bag on her shoulder placing her black coat neatly on her arm. She bowed down. ‘I’ll go now,’ she said using her cold, soft voice as she walked out of the room.

 

It's really increadible on how the atmosphere can be really heavy that it was like pushing you flat on the floor when in reality there was nothing being said.

 

The room was consumed by silence for a moment as everyone stared at the door as it closed. Sohee smiled bitterly. ‘I miss Dara,’ she said as everyone nodded in agreement. ‘She used to be the most hyper,’ Yunbin added as she took a sip from her bottle of water. ‘I guess she can’t still move on with what happened to Seunghyun,’ Wooyoung said resting his chin on the back of his hand.

 

‘I just hope she will return to her usual self,’ Sohee breathed out. ‘But somehow it sounded and looked really impossible,’

 

 

 

Jiyong came home at exactly six in the evening with bags of supplies on his hand and was on a great hurry. ‘Mom, Dad, I’m home,’ he greeted as he went to the kitchen kissing her mom on his cheeks as he gave his father a high five. ‘Why are you carrying so many things?’ his mother asked as Jiyong dashed to his room throwing his bag on his bed as he dashed back down.

 

‘I will be joining a contest,’ he smiled at her. ‘Oh really? When is the deadline?’ his father asked looking at him. ‘Tomorrow,’ he answered chuckling. ‘What? Will you be able to finish it?’ his mom asked worriedly.

 

‘I honestly don’t know, so I have to start now,’ he answered gathering his things preparing to go on his studio which was situated at the back of their house. His parents made it built it for him as they have always been supportive to him. ‘What’s the size of the canvas then so I can help you,’ his father said as he stood up from his seat. '12 feet by 6 feet,’ he answered.

 

‘Omo Jiyongie that’s too big! Are you sure you’ll really finish it?’ his mother asked worriedly knowing how detailed he could be. ‘Mom!’ Jiyong exclaimed. ‘Can you have a little confidence in me?’ he laughed. ‘Besides I need to finish this, I want to finish this,’

 

Both of his parents stared at him before glancing at each other, this was the first time he talked about a contest with great determination.

 

‘Well then let’s get going with the canvas buddy,’ his father smiled at him placing his hand over his shoulder. Jiyong grinned thanking him silently inside. He nodded as they went to his studio with his mother preparing the dinner so she can bring it to them and join them in the studio.

 

 

7:55 pm

 

It took them almost two hours to finish the canvas while eating in between. Jiyong wiped his sweat as he stared at the canvas he built with his father. ‘Thanks dad,’ he smiled at his father. ‘Anytime, son,’ his father smiled as he quickly took a glass of water that his mother prepared for them.

 

Jiyong then nodded as he soon started with his work. He admitted it will be a lot and even he was asking himself if he could really finish it especially he never even once tried to pull an all nighters for anything. He even remembered when he was asked by Seungri for a sleep over in his house together with his classmates, he went yet when the clock struck 9 he went to sleep even if he was bugged by his friends he just kicked them and slept. He laughed softly at the memory as he was preparing the  paint he will be using.

 

‘Son, do you want us to accompany you?’ his mother worriedly asked. ‘This is the first time you’ll be doing this,’ she added. He smiled as he gently placed the paint on the floor as he went to his mother ruffling her hair. ‘Mom, you’re spoiling me,’ he pouted. ‘I’ll be fine, besides you and dad have been working all day. Just rest and sleep you deserve it,’ he laughed as his parents laughed with him.

 

‘Are you sure you’ll be fine?' his mother asked for the last time as she and her husband was standing by the door of his studio. Jiyong nodded he gave them a thumbs up grinning like a child. ‘I’ll be,’ he said as he fished out a small bottle of energy drink showing it to them. ‘They say this works,’ he added laughing.

 

‘Good luck then,’ his father said with a small smile as he nodded. ‘Good night!’ he said and soon they left the studio closing the door. And with that he started working. He grabbed the paint brush and stared at the huge canvas in front of him. He closed his eyes as he imagined the colours moving, blending the way he wanted it. He opened his eyes as he stared at the canvas as if he could see the finish product on the white, clean canvas.

 

And maybe that was one of the things that made him a genius.

 

 

10:05 pm

 

He opened his first bottle of energy drink, he was all fired up. His heart and brain was all fired up as he was working yet his eyes they were like closing on their own and to think it was only 10 in the evening. His body was not cooperating with him as it was used to sleeping in 9. He drank the energy drink in half as he wiped his mouth. With that he grabbed his brush and started working on his painting. He was not hurrying though he was aware that time was never on his side.

 

In painting he never really hurry, he take all the time he needed as he worked hard on every detail of his work, he was working seriously focusing inch by inch. He reached out for the energy drink and finished it as he sat there painting l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter