Because I Said So

I Never Told You

 

[On Minhee's last day in Korea...]
 
Thank goodness he went to Japan to promote...otherwise I might've seen him again...if that was him the first time. Gah, this is terrible...now that I've made my decision, what will I do? Minhee blew her hair out of her face frustrated and opened the door to the same music shop she visited the other day. 
 
The manager and Minhee bowed to each other in respect and she went to the back to look for that music booklet again. The only thing that has been keeping her sane after that glimpse-that-might've-not-been-an-actual-glimpse of Yunho was talking to the twins and thinking about the song she played.
 
Damn I can't find it...where did it go? Was it sold or something? Minhee was about to give up and leave when the manager tapped her on the shoulder. 
 
"You were the young lady who played a song from 'Emotional' the other day right?" She nodded and the manager's face lit up in excitement. "I knew you would come back! I told him to keep his hopes up and it worked out in the end." 
 
Minhee tilted her head in confusion. "Okay...?"
 
"This is for you," he handed her the booklet. "The composer wants you to have it."
 
"Eh? Me? Why? How does the composer even..." she trailed off as she watched the manager dial someone's number on the phone. 
 
"Hello? I was able to give her the booklet. She's standing right here! You what? Ah, okay! No need to yell..." Handing her the phone, the manager looked at her in anticipation. 
 
Minhee reluctantly took the phone, "hello?"
 
"Are you really the one?"
 
"I'm sorry, what?"
 
"Ah," the guy on the phone chuckled. "My bad, let me say it more clearly. Are you the one who played a song from 'Emotional'?"
 
"Oh, yes...I am. Are you the composer?"
 
"I am."
 
"Why do you want me to have the book?"
 
"Because no one has been able to play it but me."
 
"Have many people tried? Because, no offense, but the store doesn't seem very often frequented."
 
"Enough people have tried."
 
"If you say so..."
 
"I'd like to meet you but the timing is really bad right now. Are you available later?"
 
"Actually, no I'm not. I'm leaving for America tonight."
 
"What?" Minhee held the phone away because he had yelled. "Really?"
 
She laughed. 'This guy is interesting to say the least...and to put it nicely. His voice sounds familiar for some reason too...'
 
"But I'd really like to get to know the person who can play my songs."
 
"I only played one. What makes you think I can play the others?"
 
"Are you open to a challenge? Let's find out if you can play the other songs."
 
"Why would I accept that challenge?"
 
"Because I said so." Minhee rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Well, that and I don't think you're the type of person who would back down from a challenge."
 
"Oh, so you know me already huh?"
 
"Not nearly as much as I'd like to."
 
Minhee actually blushed when he said that and had to gather her composure quickly, "O-oh really n-now? Let's say I do accept your challenge - and I am not saying that I am accepting it - there's nothing I can do because I'm leaving tonight."
 
"Give me your contact information then."
 
"Give a complete stranger my information? Do I seem stupid to you?"
 
"We're not complete strangers."
 
"We're not?"
 
"We were able to play the same music. That connects us. We have a bond already you know."
 
'This guy...' Chuckling, Minhee replied, "alright, I will admit that I guess. How about this, you give me your information and we'll just see what I do with it."
 
He laughed too and Minhee decided she liked the sound of his laugh so far. "I can agree with that."
 
Minhee put his information into her phone and they hung up cordially. The manager was grinning at Minhee when she did so. "What?"
 
"Nothing..." He continued to grin and thought 'they haven't met in person yet and they're already flirting'
 
"So...this composer guy...is he...?" She couldn't think of exactly what to ask.
 
"You're curious aren't you? Just call him yourself and ask!"
 
"Maybe I will."
 
"As you should."
 
"Thank you uh..."
 
"Jung Shihoon."
 
"Ah, thank you Jung-ahjussi."
 
"Aren't you going to tell me your name?"
 
"I would but I'm worried you'll tell your composer friend."
 
"Ah your worries would not have been in vain because I surely would tell him."
 
"I'm glad you're honest about it," they laughed together. "Well, I should get going. It was nice to meet you."
 
"It was nice to meet you too." Shihoon and Minhee bowed to each other and Minhee walked out. Once she got into a taxi, she opened the booklet again. 'Eh, this inscription wasn't here before...[to the person who can play my songs, thank you for being able to understand my heart.] His heart huh? I guess that's another thing we'll have to see about.'
 
[A month later...at the airport...]
 
"Can you let go now?"
 
"No!"
 
"Let go!"
 
"NO!"
 
"Shin doesn't even want to go and you're being worse than him."
 
"So?"
 
"Aquamarine if you don't stop right now!"
 
"What are you going to do huh?"
 
"I don't know. Call airport security and say you're molesting my son?"
 
"You wouldn't dare!"
 
"If you must force my hand..."
 
"You're evil. I hate you."
 
"Once again, I love you too Aqua."
 
Minhee turned to Ronnie, who just gave an awkward smile before tightly hugging her. "Don't stress yourself out too much on your own over there. Don't take random walks late at night and go too far. Don't give your information to strangers and always hold onto your purse."
 
"Yes, mother," she laughed. "I like how you don't give that speech to my children but you give it to me instead."
 
"They know better."
 
"Yeah, we know better which is why if we say we want to stay, we should be listened to," Shin mumbled loudly.
 
"Shin, I already told you why we're going."
 
"And I don't care about those reasons. I don't want to go to Korea. Other than that it's better for us and that we should learn about the other culture we're part of, what reason is there?"
 
"Because I said so, okay?"
 
"That's-"
 
"Shin!" Aqua yelled. "I don't want you to go but I don't want you to fight with your mother like that either. She is still your mother."
 
"Yeah, stop fighting with Mom. You're upsetting her! Don't do that to my mother!" Yonjee glared at him.
 
"She's my mother too..."
 
"Which is a reason you need to listen to her," Ronnie put a hand on his shoulder. "Trust me, your mom knows what she's doing. You know your mom well enough to know that too."
 
"Yeah...I know..."
 
"He just wants to be stubborn." Minhee said.
 
"Gee, I wonder where he gets it from," teased Ronnie.
 
"Ha ha. So funny."
 
They gradually said their good-byes and then Minhee, Shin, and Yonjee walked through the gates to wait to board the plane to Korea. Minhee was about to turn off her phone when she got a text: 'Have a safe flight~ see you soon right? If you have time before your flight, call me!'
 
It was the composer. Minhee smiled to herself and looked over at Shin and Yonjee before pressing call. They were sitting quietly with their luggage. Both listening to their iPods and not looking at each other. Minhee could already tell what they were listening to. 
 
Yonjee was most likely listening to DBSK or something else but Minhee was pretty sure it was K-pop no matter what. Shin, on the other hand was listening to anything but K-pop.
 
She sighed and fixed her gaze on a spot on the ground, trying to ignore the guilt of her decision to move to Korea. After all, Shin and Yonjee don't really want to go, especially Shin. They'll be far away from her other family members and Aqua and Ronnie. Those two had been there for the twins as much as she was. 
 
They raised them so far alongside her and leaving them made her feel so torn inside. Yes, everything will be better financially, academically, benefits-wise, culturally enriching, and much more but there was still a tinge of bitterness to Minhee.
 
"Yeoboseyeo? Ya, maestro*?"
 
*the composer's nickname for her since she still won't divulge her name
 
"Huh? Oh, sorry! I was...distracted."
 
"Oh really? Hey, just to let you know, I actually had a reason for wanting you to call me."
 
"You did? Aw, I thought you just wanted to hear my lovely voice."
 
He chuckled, "of course there is that too but I wanted to tell you something..."
 
"And that is?"
 
"You're doing the right thing. No one blames you for your choice. I know some may be angry and disagree for the time being but you're not doing anything wrong okay? So don't blame yourself. That's all. I have to go already. Sorry! Have a safe flight. Bye!"
 
"What? Ya!" she stared at the phone in shock when she suddenly heard the dial tone and she huffed. "How dare you hang up on me composer?" Minhee then laughed at herself and shook her head. 'How did he know what I needed to hear? So weird...hah so unlike that person...'
 
[Flashback to almost 10 years ago...]
 
Minhee was at a cafe near the local high school with one of her classmates. Soojin was drinking her coffee and then sighed out of nowhere. "What's on your mind?"
 
"Why do you always reject everyone in our class Minhee?" Soojin asked her. "The upperclassmen too. Are you really not interested in anyone?"
 
"I'm interested in someone."
 
"Really? Who? Are they interested in you too?"
 
"Actually, I don't know if he is."
 
"Why not?"
 
"He's...a little naive I guess you could say?"
 
"I see...does he go to our school?"
 
"Huh? Oh, he-" Minhee cut herself off when he phone rang. A smile grew on her face as soon as she read the caller ID. "Hold on a second okay?" She rushed out of the cafe before Soojin could get a word out and answered the phone. "Yeoboseyeo?"
 
"Yeoboseyeo~ I finally got a break today. How are you doing?"
 
"I'm good," she leaned against a nearby lamp post and bit her lip nervously. "How are you?"
 
"I'm good too. We learned a new dancing technique today."
 
"Oh really? How is it? Is it difficult?"
 
"A little. I like it though. I'll show you next time I come back home."
 
"Okay, I'll look forward to it!"
 
"So...I heard something about you recently."
 
"About me? Eh? Like what?"
 
"Like...you're really popular with the guys at school right now."
 
Minhee rolled her eyes and laughed, "oh that? What about it? You jealous?"
 
"W-w-what? Why would I be jealous? I d-don't know what you're t-talking about."
 
"It's nothing." Smirking, Minhee said. "My popularity is only because I'm a foreigner anyway. Once they get over the novelty, I'll be left alone."
 
"No, it's not just that. You'd be popular regardless."
 
"With you too?"
 
"Me? Uh...I...well, yes," he almost whispered the last part. "But," he cleared his throat. "I heard that you're getting asked out at least once a day. Have you said yes to anyone yet?"
 
"No."
 
"Oh," she could sense the relief in his tone. "Why not?" 
 
"The person I like hasn't asked me yet. I only want to say yes to that person."
 
"Oh..." Now there was some disappointment heard in his voice.
 
"Yeah..."
 
"I think I will let you go then."
 
"Huh? Do you have to go now?"
 
"No, I don't want to be the reason why the guy you like can't ask you." He hung up before Minhee could even say goodbye. 
 
"Jung Yunho, you pabo...aish!" she kicked at the ground. "Always says the wrongs things and misunderstands."
 
[End of Flashback]
 
'They're so different...and yet similar. Wow...hah' Minhee shook her head. "Oh well. Yonjee, Shin, it's time to board. Let's go."
 
"Alright, Mom," Yonjee replied, acknowledging her.
 
Shin just stood up and refused to look anywhere but at his iPod. 'That kid is more like me and his father than he thinks...'
 
About an hour later, they were sitting comfortably on the plane and Shin and Yonjee decided to fall asleep as soon as the plane took off. Minhee reached over and draped a blanket over the both of them. She took out her own iPod and started listening to music as well. "Here goes," she told herself. 
 
A/N: Look!!! I actually updated quickly! O.O even I am shocked with myself! XD Anyway, sorry if the chapter is boring because it doesn't include the incredibly y Yunho or the other members of DBSK very much. The next chapter will most likely be focused on Yunho though~ ^^ enjoy the chapter!