First Loves and Rare Opportunities

I Never Told You

 

[In Korea]
 
On a recording of Come To Play, Yoo Jae Suk had asked the DBSK members about their first loves.
 
"I think Changmin has an infatuation with married women," Yoochun led off the section.
 
Changmin looks at him surprised. "What makes you say that?"
 
"Yes, please tell us Yoochun," MC Yoo (Yoo Jae Suk) sitting up straighter out of curiosity.
 
"Because our maknae loves food so much, I always had this feeling that his first love was Mrs. Butterworth."
 
The whole set burst into laughter and Changmin pouted. "My first love was not a maple syrup container. I don't even like pancakes or waffles that much."
 
"So you don't like the ones I make you?" Jaejoong asked, his eyes getting watery.
 
"No."
 
Jaejoong started fake-sobbing and Yunho held him in his arms, patting his back and saying "it's okay. He doesn't know what he's saying."
 
"I like the food you make!" Junsu said happily, trying to cheer Jaejoong up.
 
Shinyoung (another guest/minor host on Come To Play) joked, "this is part of why Changmin is known as the '나쁜 남자' (bad guy) type."
 
Everyone laughed again and then it was Jaejoong's turn to answer. "My first love was my mother (referring to his adoptive mother). If I met a girl like her, I think I would fall in love instantly." The studio audience aww'ed at first but started laughing when seeing the blank look MC Yoo was giving Jaejoong.
 
"Idols these days know how to answer too well. Yunho!"
 
"Ah," he said shocked his name got called so suddenly, "yes?"
 
"Please tell us a little about your first love and you cannot say your mother." Jaejoong snickered next to him and Yunho elbowed him lightly, which only made him laugh more. 
 
Yunho glanced at his other members - the ones that weren't laughing - and Yoochun gave him an encouraging smile. Yunho suspected that Changmin would've done the same if he wasn't preoccupied with eating. "She was about a year younger than me. Her mother had work in my hometown-"
 
"Oh! Gwangju right?" He nodded. "Who initiated everything?"
 
"She did."
 
"Really?"
 
"I was too shy so she was the one to talk to me first."
 
"Was the relationship always like that?"
 
"No, she usually would get mad if she was the only one initiating things. With me, she was a very open person and because of her cute moments, there were times where I couldn't help myself."
 
"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" all the members started going and blocking Yunho. The set got chaotic and Yunho waved his hands no. "Not like that! I mean in kissing! Kissing!"
 
MC Won Hee had brought the atmosphere back down and continued asking Yunho questions, "how long did the relationship last?"
 
"Almost two years."
 
"How old were you then? Was it before or after your debut?"
 
Yunho just laughed nervously and she said she wouldn't press matters any further. Although he was relieved to not have to talk about it anymore, he couldn't stop thinking about it.
 
[in America]
 
"Do you want to take the job?"
 
"If I take it, then I'll be able to support Yonjee and Shin much better than I do now."
 
"You mean financially right? Because you won't be able to find anyone better than us to help you raise those kids. I love those two! You can't just take them away!" Aqua glared at Minhee. "I hate you."
 
"Don't act more immature than my children."
 
"They're not going to like this either. You can't just move them all the way to another country out of nowhere. Shin will hate you. I'm not sure about Yonjee."
 
"She's just like her father. Even if she doesn't like it, she won't tell me but I think she'll be happy because it's Korea. The same reason Shin will refuse to go."
 
"Maybe you should just give Shin to me." 
 
"Aqua!" both Minhee and Ronnie yelled.
 
"What? I was just kidding..."
 
"Uh huh, I don't believe you."
 
"Fine then! Don't you have to go to work anyway? Leave you traitor."
 
"Aww, I love you too Aqua," Minhee replied mockingly. 
 
Ronnie laughed, "she's right though. You should leave soon."
 
"Yeah, I know. I'll see you guys later then. You're still picking them up for me right?"
 
Turning her head away in fake anger, Aqua said "I'm not."
 
"But I am," Ronnie told Minhee, pushing her out the door. "I got this. You go to work and we'll see you when you're done."
 
"Alright then. Thanks Ronnie. Bye."
 
"Bye."
 
The whole conversation kept ringing in her head. Minhee tried shaking her head as if that would reset everything but it clearly didn't work. Leaning on her elbows, Minhee sighed for what seemed the umpteenth time that day and made a blowfish face.
 
It was then that her co-worker Tami walked in. "Uh...you keeping nuts in there my little human squirrel friend?"
 
"First of all, I believe that I was impersonating a blowfish and second of all, what is this squirrel thing you speak of? Are they those things I call squillers?"
 
Tami rolled her eyes, "Yes, what you oddly call squillers is what everyone normal calls squirrels."
 
"Pfft, silly Tami. Normal is for boring people!"
 
She laughed, "so you done with your weekly report yet?"
 
"Since last week."
 
"Of course you are," Tami shook her head. "Oh hey! I heard about that job offer you got in Seoul! Congratulations!"
 
"Thanks but I haven't decided if I'm taking it yet."
 
"What? Now who's being silly?! What would you turn that job down for compared to this one?!" She had yelled and paused, "oops." Tami looked around before speaking in a much softer, quieter tone. "You get benefits, vacation, a much higher payroll, and you get to network in Korea! Korea! You love that music. What's it called? K...K...K-something!"
 
"It's K-pop Tami."
 
"Oh...but why would you stay here? No offense to our company but it compared to that one. You're so lucky to get recruited by them!"
 
"But...Yonjee and Shin."
 
"Oh...well aren't they covered in your benefits too? It should be fine. Heck, aren't you kids half-Korean?"
 
"Yeah but-"
 
"There you go! If they can't be with their father, at least let them spend some time in the country he's from." Minhee stared at her. "I know I'm being blunt here but that job was like made for you. You even get to bring them along and everything. That kind of opportunity is rare. Every parent feels like their child deserves the best. You feel that way for Shin and Yonjee right?"
 
"I do..."
 
"Then why are you hesitating?"
 
"Because of the company."
 
"What's wrong with the company? I've only heard good things so far. I mean, there are a few bad things circulating but it's the entertainment business."
 
"Shin and Yonjee's father is with that company."
 
"What do you mean by 'with the company?' "
 
"As in, he's signed with them."
 
" 'Signed with them?' Do you mean...their father is one of their artists?!"