I Wonder

I Never Told You

 

[In America]
 
Minhee sighed deeply and her two best friends looked over at her. "What's up your ?" the youngest, Aqua, asked. 
 
She chuckled, "nothing. I'm just...thinking about a few things."
 
"Aren't you always you crazy worrywort?" teased Ronnie, the oldest among the three.
 
"I'm a mother now. I have to worry!"
 
"Of course."
 
"Speaking of which, Ronnie why the hell did you let Shin listen to 'I Just Had '? What is wrong with you?!"
 
"Hehe, I mean, who? Me? He found that all on his own. Your son is a bad kid."
 
"Not funny. He's only eight years old!"
 
Aqua scoffed. "So? He's old enough to know how the world works."
 
"I'd rather he not find out so soon and enjoy his childhood."
 
"He's such a pessimistic child sometimes anyway. What does he enjoy about being a child? He just wants to grow up already. All little kids do."
 
"Nuh uh! Yonjee's still a good child. In the car today, she's all 'saranghae umma' while Shin's all 'why doesn't our father do anything?' " sighing, Minhee laid her head down on Ronnie's kitchen counter. "What do I do you guys?"
 
"About their father or Shin?" 
 
"Both."
 
"You're the one who decided not to tell him."
 
"Okay, which 'him' do you mean there?"
 
"I don't know anymore. Now you're confusing me," Ronnie replied with her eyebrows furrowed. She shrugged it off. "You'll figure it out."
 
Aqua shook her head, "all I know is that I still think it's pretty effed up that you didn't tell their father about them."
 
"What do you want me to do? We already broke up and he's starting his career. I can't just let him give that up. That's besides the point! I'm not worried about that right now!"
 
"Then what the hell are you worried about?"
 
"Yonjee and Shin are half-Korean but my family isn't Korean at all. We're not close to any Koreans. There's not even a Koreatown in our area! I'm keeping half of their heritage from them. I keep wondering if I'm doing the right thing by raising them here in America?"
 
Ronnie rubbed her back consolingly. "What else are you going to do? Move to Korea? Your friends and family are here. You have a support system here. You won't have that if you take them to Korea."
 
"But it's part of who they are."
 
"What race you are doesn't mean who you are." Aqua retorted.
 
"Okay so Aqua are you going to say that you're not proud you're Mexican and that it's not part of who you are at all? Your Mexican background had nothing to do with who you are now?"
 
"Well no-"
 
"Exactly."
 
"Now wait a minute here! If you told their father, maybe he would be with you and sharing Korean culture with them but you-" she stopped after seeing the look on MInhee's face. "...sorry."
 
Ronnie got in between them, "you two both need to breathe. You both have your points okay? The main thing now is what the best thing is for Yonjee and Shin. Have you been thinking about this for a while? Today's the first time you mentioned it to us."
 
"Well kinda...because I got a job offer in Korea."
 
"What?!" they both yelled.
 
[In Korea]
 
"Hyung, what are you doing?" Junsu asked, walking into Yunho's room.
 
He put some things back inside a box. "Nothing. Did you need something?" 
 
Junsu peered into Yunho's eyes and examined his face. "Are you getting sick hyung?"
 
"No, why do you ask?"
 
"Your eyes look a little funny and you sniffled just now."
 
"I'm feeling fine Junsu-ya!" he ruffled Junsu's hair. "So what'd you come in here for?"
 
"I just wanted to talk to you about the meeting later. Do you really think we'll be on Hello Baby?"
 
"I don't know. Since we go back and forth between Japan and Korea, it's be hard to do. Our schedules are full when we're promoting in just one country in the first place..."
 
"But I want to play with the little kids!"
 
"Then why don't you have one?" Yunho joked.
 
"Have you thought about having kids?"
 
"Eh?"
 
"I want kids. Hyung, didn't you once say you want 25 kids?"
 
Yunho laughed. He wondered why Junsu remembered such a thing. "Yeah, but I was joking...a little." They laughed together that time. 
 
"Well if you want to meet that goal hyung you might want to start soon. You're not getting any younger."
 
"Ya!" he hit Junsu with his pillow. "I can have kids at any age!" Junsu ran out, sticking his tongue out at him. "Aish, that guy...they're so similar..." Yunho glanced back at the box, opening it again, and taking out a picture of him when he was younger, posing with a girl that seemed to be the same age. "I wonder if her smile is still the same now."