The Heart of the Forest of Shadows

Forest of Shadows

(A/N: I integrated Saisairee's Sunyeon moment after they meet Jessica. There is a caption for the start. Saisairee and all, hope you enjoy it.)

                            

That morning

Jessica was sleeping on a large branch of the tallest tree in the forest. The forest was silent at the moment. Although even if it was noisy, it wouldn't really make much of a difference. She was adorned in a dark blue set. Her dongdari was dark blue and her jeonbok was black. The baji she wore were a shade of darker blue that it almost looks like black. Her sleeves were tied with black ribbons and her baji were secured so they didn't flutter freely. On her waist, two swords were tied tightly. Her arms were crossed and her right leg hung from the branch. Her back was leaning on the tree's trunk. Her eyes fluttered open. She blinked a couple of times to adjust her eyesight.

She was slowly changing. There were now black highlights on her hair, which was tied up. Her eye colors have also changed. Before, they were brown, now glowing gold. She yawned and stretched. It wasn't really comfortable sleeping on a tree but when there are people looking for you, you can't really sleep at home where they are staying at. She stood up straight and looked around. A thought crosses her mind.

'I haven't checked that place yet. It should be there.'

She jumped from branch to branch. Trees of different statures passed as she neared her destination. An adequately big lake came to view. She stopped several feet away from the body of water. She was still overshadowed by the tall trees. Her eyes soften at an old memory. She stepped closer to further relive the memory.

However, as soon as she steps out of the shaded area, she feels a familiar presence. With her heightened senses, she knew who it was right away. She quickly bolted away, trying to escape. Unfortunately, two arms held her tight. She was stronger than the girl. She knows that one movement is all that will take to break from her grasp. But she simply couldn't. No matter how much her mind told her body to move, her heart took control this time. It’s not that she couldn't, it’s because she wouldn't.

She basked on the warmth she was receiving in a little while. She could feel Tiffany's breathing stabilize. It was only then did she realize that the girl must've run to catch her. Her mind was dazed. She didn't move. When she remembered that she wasn't supposed to be there, she made a small movement to break free but the arms held her tighter.

"Don't..." Tiffany said. Her body froze, eliminating all plans to move. They stood there for a small time before Jessica felt the arms slacken. She didn't turn around. She could feel Tiffany's hand on her shoulder. It was beckoning her to turn. She slowly turned her eyes down casted, hidden under her bangs. Jessica didn't say anything.

Tiffany took this time to take note of the change in the girl's appearance. She saw the odd but beautiful combination of black locks of hair with blonde. She reached up to the girl's hair and ran her fingers through it. It was softer than when she last felt it. She noticed that Jessica was still looking down. She frowned at that. She placed her hands to cradle Jessica's face. She slowly turned it up. She was shocked by what she saw. Jessica's eyes were gold in color now, even its glimmer was apparent. She became entranced.

Jessica's eyes focused on Tiffany's. Her eyes show variety of emotions that words cannot tell nor comprehend. Jessica brought her hands up to take Tiffany's hands from her cheeks. She grasped it and brought both hands down. She looked down at their interlocked hands and held the girl's hand tightly. She looked back at Tiffany.

"What are you planning, now that you've caught me?" Tiffany smiled at Jessica declaration of imprisonment.

"I want to help you. I read a book your father wrote in case this happens. You don't have to transform anymore. Yuri and the others... We all came to help you."

"What makes you think that I'll need your help?"

"I know that if you transform, you will lose control. I don't want that. You don't want that. So stop thinking that you have to do it."

"But I have to."

"Now. You don't. That's why I'm here." Tiffany squeezed Jessica's hand. They heard rustlings around. From different directions, the group came. Yuri smiled at Jessica and waved. She received a glare. Yuri cringed a bit but recovered quickly due to the fact that she knows she deserve it.

"You ruined it for me, too. Now we're even." Jessica looked away while Yuri chuckled. Tiffany stepped away from Jessica, which caused the girl to look at her. Tiffany turned her head and motioned for someone to come closer. Jessica looked at the approaching figure and her eyes immediately softened.

"Unnie..."

"I told you we'll meet again." Krystal came closer. Jessica's smile was seen by all as she opened her arms and welcomed her younger sister with a hug. Krystal felt tears coming out of her own eyes as she hugged her sister. It was long before Krystal broke the embrace and looked at her sister. She saw her sister's golden eyes.

"Unnie, your eyes..." Jessica patted her head.

"I don't usually look like this so don't get use to it." Everyone laughed at Jessica's reply. Yuri walked closer to Jessica. She placed her hand on Jessica's shoulder. Jessica looked at her. She just smiled and nodded. Jessica just let out a deep sigh before nodding.

"Shouldn't we get back now?" Seohyun suggested. The others agreed right away, which left Jessica and Yuri silently thinking. Seohyun waited for their answer. After a few seconds, the two agreed as well and they went back to Jessica's house to rest for a bit. After all, they can't just go back out the forest. They still had to finish the job. They had to be prepared and that night same night, they will fight.

 

Sunyeon Moment~

Taeyeon was seated at the dining room with the group. Yuri volunteered to cook their meal while they rest. Being the owner of the house, Jessica also made it final that she would cook. Curious about how those two will make the food, Tiffany and Taeyeon went with them. After a while, the food was done. The food they made was delicious. Although Jessica's could have been more aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, her cooking was fine. Yuri was in a shock when she saw how much Yoona and Sooyoung were able to eat. She silently thanked both her, Taeyeon, and Jessica's decision to make more than enough food. The others were still enjoying the food when Taeyeon finished. She excused herself outside.

She sat outside at the house on its wooden floors. The wind blew gently and messed her bangs a bit. She noted the breeze that ran over her head, through her hair. A memory flashes in her mind.

 

It had been a fair day in the Kim Palace. The sun was shining and there was also a cool breeze every now and then so the palace was well-ventilated. A young princess was running around happily. She had just finished her studies and training for the day. She was on her way to the stables to ride her young mare. She didn't seem to notice another royally dressed kid watching her with wonder. The girl followed her.

The young Kim princess suddenly turned a corner. The girl followed right away, stopping at the corner. She was filled with confusion when there was no one there. Walking further, turning on the corner instead of peeking, she was held by two arms.

"Hello there! What are you doing here?" Young Taeyeon asked excitedly. She had not seen many kids that wander in the palace. In fact, this was the first time she had seen someone in the area. The girl turned around and looked at her. There was evident shock on her face, clearly from the girl's sudden appearance. The girl didn't speak. Taeyeon frowned a bit. She waved her hand in front of the girl's face. This brought the girl's attention back. She gently shook her head and looked at Taeyeon. Taeyeon just smiled.

"I'm Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon. And you are?" She held out her hand for the other girl to shake. The girl smiled as well. Taking her hand and shaking it, the girl introduced herself.

"I'm Sunny. Lee Sunny. Nice to meet you." They smiled at each other.

"So what brings you here?"

"My father and I came here to visit his old friend. He took me with him because he thinks that it would be fun to be out of the palace for a while."

"Well, it’s not fun if you just walked around the palace. It’s a big place but it gets boring. You can come with me." Sunny nodded.

"What are we going to do?"

"I'm going to ride my horse today."

"I'm not sure..."

"Why not? It’s fun." Taeyeon whined, trying to convince Sunny. The girl just laughed at her.

"I never said it wasn't fun, silly. We might get hurt that's all. We're only twelve after all."

"You don't know how to ride a horse?"

"Well, I haven't tried it on my own." Sunny feels herself being pulled by Taeyeon.

"Come on." Sunny ran with Taeyeon and found herself in front of the stables. She saw Taeyeon go in. She followed in. Sunny saw the stables were full of horses. There were of different colors ranging from white to black. Taeyeon was standing near a brown mare and was brushing its mane.

"Pick one of the horses." Taeyeon said. Sunny was looking around the horses. One horse caught her attention. This particular stallion was still young, about the same age ad Taeyeon's. It didn't look to happy. The horse looked at her.

"Taeyeon. What about him?" Sunny asked pointing at the black stallion.

"Which one?" Taeyeon asked, turning her head towards Sunny, then at the horse she points at. Her eyes widened as Sunny approached the horse but what happened next shocked her. Nothing. It didn't move backwards or acted badly. It looked like it simply was fine with the girl's presence. Sunny didn't notice the smile on Taeyeon's face.

"Wait a bit."

She handed the young black stallion's reins to Sunny.

"Here. Take him." She helped Sunny tack it up and soon, they were ready. Before getting on her own horse, she helped Sunny on her own first.

"Thanks." Sunny thanked her. Strangely enough, Taeyeon didn't get on her horse. Instead, she held on Sunny's horse's reins and let her own her horse follow them. It walked together, side by side with Sunny's horse.

When Sunny was able to be in her own, Taeyeon rode on her own horse and they talked to each other while on the road. They immediately became friends. Not only was it because they were separated from other kids but it was something they saw in the other that formed an intangible but strong bond. They would ride fast and slow. They took different routes and reached a big beach. They stopped their horses and left them before stepping on the sand. They enjoyed the ocean breeze as it gently blew at them.

"Waa~ it’s so beautiful here. The air is so clean, too."

"Right? My father brings me here when I get coughs. When the doctors can't cure my cough, he brings me here very early in the morning. Surprisingly, it’s gone after." They noticed that they have been gone for a long while so they decided to go back. They returned the horses back in the stables.

"You can come and ride him again. I think he really likes you. Usually he panics when people besides me get close. He didn't react badly at you so he probably acknowledges you." Taeyeon smiled. Sunny was rubbing the horse's nuzzle. They removed the equipment on the horse and left after saying goodbye to it.

They were walking around the palace when they felt tired. They sat down on a bench.

"Today was really fun."

"Wasn't it? I don't always have much time because of my studies. But when I do, I always ride outside." There was an adequately strong wind that blew at them. The wind messed up Taeyeon's hair because her back was turned from the direction. After it died down, Sunny's hair were well kept unlike Taeyeon's. They both laughed at her messy appearance. Sunny reached out and fixed Taeyeon's hair. Taeyeon smiled widely. Unknown to both, their hearts were both beating quickly.

 

Taeyeon returned to reality when she felt someone sit next to her. When she saw Sunny, a familiar feeling came up her chest. Sunny looked at her as if inspecting her features. She reached out to fix Taeyeon's hair.

"Tae... What are you thinking about?" She asks.

"Just a memory. Remember the day we first met?" Taeyeon answered.

"I wouldn't forget it." Sunny declared proudly causing a smile to form on Taeyeon's face. "Some things just never change." She smiles.

"I relived it just now. It’s been really been a long time..." Sunny nodded.

"What are your future plans?"

"What do you mean?"

"After this, what will you do?" Taeyeon inquired. Sunny thought for a while.

"I don't really know." She said shrugging. She looked at Taeyeon, asking about her.

"Well, I was planning on visiting you when I can. Then we can spend more time with each other."

"Definitely." Sunny smiled brightly. They sat closer to each other, comfortable at each other's presence.

 

Later

It was a few hours later when everyone was ready.

"Let's go. I'm sure we'll finish this tonight." Tiffany said to all.

"And it’s not even the full moon. We are so lucky." Taeyeon added. Jessica nodded in agreement. She started walking off in a direction.

"Unnie, where are you going?" Krystal asked.

"I- We're going to finish it." Jessica answered and continued walking. Yuri just smiled.

"We're going to the lake." She motioned for the others to start following them. On their way, despite the quiet atmosphere, it was light. Soon, the lake came into view. They hurried and stopped in front of the water. They looked down at it and saw their reflections.

"There's nothing here, right?" Sooyoung asked. She noticed Jessica, Yuri, and Sunny crouching near, at the water as if peeking at a window.

"No. It's right here." Sunny said.

"Figures... It’s sealed." Yuri confirmed.

The three stood up. Jessica placed her hand on her waist to reach for her sword. When she felt two, she eyed it. She still had Tiffany's sword. She slid it out of her belt.

"Hey." Tiffany looked at her as she threw the sword to her. She caught it and only did she realize that it was her sword.

"I'm returning it. You'll need it." Tiffany nodded. They watched the three.

"We'll try to open the seal. Wait for a bit." Yuri was in her gumiho form at the moment while Jessica took her sword out of its scabbard and Sunny materialized her staff. They moved so that they surrounded the lake. Their hands came together in front of their chest, each forming a spade shape. It was easier for Yuri since she didn't have any weapons but for the other two, they had to place their weapons in the middle, splitting their spades in half. Different colors of aura started appearing around them. From those spades, their auras started transferring to the lake. Yuri's green orbs were first, followed by Sunny's yellow light, and lastly, Jessica's blue bolts. There was a blinding light and once it died down, all of them could see. The lake had a large whirlpool and peering at it revealed what seemed like ancient door.

This seemed to have activated something because a multitude of shadows suddenly came to view. Not expecting this outcome, they were almost overwhelmed by the number. Every slash they made, even more just keep coming.

Jessica was forced to do drastic measures. Yuri and Sunny were having a hard time annihilating groups of them. She could sense the fatigue of the others building up. She finished a group with incredible power. Then, she stood still. Yuri sees this.

"Jessica!" This caught Tiffany's attention. She sees another magic circle under Jessica. Unlike green orbs that formed when Yuri did her seal removal ritual, Jessica was surrounded by blue. The circle was covered in ice as blue bolts of lightning. The shadows around Jessica were suddenly frozen solid as the ritual was in progress. They crumbled down and dissipated. There was a big ice shard that emerged from the magic circle. Tiffany could make out Jessica's form as it glowed.

"This is..." Yuri whispered. They will all see the power of a Jung. The ice shard slowly cracked and shattered. All the other ice as well as the circle vanished.

There in the middle was a large canine. Its fur was ruffled wildly and it stood, shaking the ice from its mane. It let out a long, powerful howl, creating sound waves throughout the area. They noticed the shadows within a mile radius were turning to ice and vanishing. For a moment, all was silent until the next group of shadows came. It weren't as many as before so it wasn't overwhelming.

"Can you guys handle that?" Jessica asked loudly at the others. Even though some of them flinched at having seen and heard of a speaking wolf, they nodded nonetheless and fought. Tiffany ran back to Jessica and memories flashed before her mind.

"It was you... You were that girl at that time." Tiffany whispered to Jessica, reaching out to her. Jessica brought her head up to meet Tiffany's palm. She nodded after.

"Sorry... I really had to do this." Jessica turned to the lake. The door was waiting. Taeyeon noticed an interval.

"Jessica! Go now. We'll handle this. Bring whoever you need. But promise me you'll live." She shouted. Jessica looked back at her and nodded.

"Yuri!"

"Got it!" Yuri left the front after she let out a gust of wind with sonic winds that shred the incoming shadows. She had eye contact with Yoona before she jumped to Jessica's side. She also motioned for Tiffany to come. The door opened and they jumped down. Sunny came to Taeyeon's side.

"Ready?" She asked, to which Taeyeon nodded. Thus the battle on the forest floor continued.

 

In the heart's chamber

 

(A/N: It pretty much goes downhill from here.)

 

The chamber was like a shrine, a big and spacious room. There were pillars that kept the place intact. They walked around a bit until they saw another door. It was a gigantic blue door. They stopped in front of it. Jessica reached for the door.

"This is it. You can see her here. But only for a little while, before we free her. That's the only thing I can give you." She opened the door. Tiffany walked in.

"We'll stay out here." Jessica said.

"Wait... Can you come with me? I'm sure she wouldn't mind." Tiffany asked. Jessica was a bit hesitant so Yuri pushed her a bit.

"Go. It’s fine. I'll guard here just in case there's trouble." Yuri said, reassuringly. The two went in while she stayed behind.

Inside was styled with marble and smooth rocks. It looked like a hallway. They walked together until they saw pillar. This pillar was different from the others they have seen down there. It was clear and made out of glass, transparent. There was a voice.

"Who's there?" Tiffany kept silent, finding familiarity from the voice. Jessica noticed this and spoke instead.

"It's Jessica, Mrs. Hwang." There was a figure that appeared on the glass. A young woman, who seems to have aged, only a little while, came to view.

"Oh! Young Jessica. How did you get-" She didn't continue when she saw another girl beside Jessica. Tiffany smiled a bit, unconsciously showing an eye smile. Mrs. Hwang gasped. She stepped out of the glass pillar and stood in front of Tiffany.

"Is this..." She asks, still looking at Tiffany.

"Yes. It is Tiffany." Jessica said with a noticeable smile. Mrs. Hwang slowly reached out to Tiffany as the girl moved closer. Tiffany felt her mother's touch and tears ran down her face.

"Mom..." She could feel her mom nod. They both wept as they hugged each other. Jessica quietly walked away as she settled near one of the pillars. She could see them happy and this also made her feel happy. When the two broke away, Mrs. Hwang motioned for Jessica to come there.

"Young Jessica. Thank you very much for letting me see my daughter. She's all grown up now." Mrs. Hwang's joy could be evidently seen in her smile. She also had an eye smile, making their features look alike.

"I'm ready." Tiffany nodded at her mother's words. She hugged her once more. Jessica created a magic circle and soon, Mrs. Hwang was free. She mouthed a couple of words that Jessica didn't catch but Tiffany did. Tiffany's eyes widened and a blush was sketched on her face. Jessica finished and looked at Tiffany. She noticed the look and color of her face.

"What's wrong?" Tiffany shook her head vigorously.

"Ok. Wait for a bit." Jessica approached the pillar and it opened. She stepped in and it closed. This panicked Tiffany. Noticing this, Jessica quickly reassured her.

"Relax. I'll just modify some things." A rectangular glass plate appeared. Tiffany could see Jessica writing on it. Then, it opened again and Jessica stepped out. Tiffany was shocked when the glass pillar became opaque.

"What did you do?"

"I just removed its guardian system. That's all. Shadows won't form anymore." The two met Yuri outside. Jessica was still in her guardian form.

"Come and sit on my back. The lake will calm down and if we don't get out with enough speed, we'll miss going back up with a grand entrance." Tiffany sat on her back while Yuri just shook her head.

"I bet I can do it faster than you."

"In your dreams." Tiffany smiled at the two's behavior. Both are still very competitive like the time they were at the East Palace.

 

On the forest floor

"Ack! What happened?" Sooyoung exclaimed. The shadows suddenly vanished and the Sun was up once again, shining at them. The rays filled the whole forest with light. They looked back at the lake. When the water came down, there was a big splash. They looked up and stepped back to avoid getting drenched.

The water reached the up and because of the Sun's rays, created a momentary rainbow. Of course, Jessica, in her guardian form, froze the lake at its current state. It created an ice bush from the lake.

"Wow..." All of them marveled at it. When the three got on the ground, Yuri scoffed.

"Show off..." They smiled at that. They walked back to Jessica's house.

 

(A/N: Waa~ I didn't expect for it to come out this way. I'm just shocked. It came out really nice for me. Thanks for the comments on this chapter by the way. The next chapter will just be like a sequel or something that will solve two more problems and a few more dramatic scenes. There are time transitions so don't be shocked if it jumps time.

Remember that Jessica is still in her guardian form and Yuri's two-day time is running out.

Last week, I had a question for my readers. What is the special part in this chapter? Do you know where I got it from?

Ok. AsukaEnergetic guessed a lot but one of the guesses are actually right. You get a prize. Just ask and I'll see if I can grant it. The one about Jessica cloning herself was it. Even though it wasn't really cloning, more likely illusions, but it was still close enough. I got the idea from the anime Fushigi Yuugi. You guys might not know it so it’s cool. It’s fine.

Now, seriously, if you think there are things that are not explained, ask. I thought I explained things very well but maybe I missed something you insightful readers noticed.  I would appreciate it if you posted a question.

See you guys on the next chapter. I might or might not also publish a next story along with FoS’s last chapter. It depends if I get enough ideas to support it just like I did in this. It should also be an ongoing fic.

Thank you very much, guys, for being with me throughout the story. Hope you join me again on my next assignment. Not the one at my school but the one in AFF. Get it? Well, you might or might not get my joke. Nevertheless, see you guys again. ^-^v)