Chapter 1: Introduction, Dream, and Mission Mishap.

Forest of Shadows

There was a commotion in town. Three robbers sprinted, with someone in pursuit of them following behind. They pushed their way through the crowd of people but they were slowed down by the goods they filched.

“Get out of the way!” The leader shouted. Suddenly and shockingly, the people gave way and at the end of the line was a woman on a horse. They immediately stopped, wary of the person in front. They noticed that she was just there, looking at them. The leader observed her from head to toe. Her posture showed pride and in her eyes, there was no fear.

“Step aside or we will hurt you!” The man in the middle said. All three took their swords out of its scabbards and pointed at her. She remained there, standing, unfazed by their threats. Someone got through the crowd. It was the guard pursuing them from behind. The guard spoke.

“Clearly, you guys are new here so just give it up.” She was smirking at them as she took out the royal seal.

“Shut up! Let’s attack.” The leader charged for the woman in front while the other two fought with the guard from behind. The woman jumped down from her horse and took her sword, still sleeping inside its case. The leader struck in front, testing the waters. She immediately used her sword to shield herself from the attack. With a fluid motion, she withdrew her sword out and held it against the leader’s neck. The leader swallowed hard.

While the leader was fighting, the other two attacked the guard. Confident of her abilities, she stood, eyes closed, ready for the attack, her hand just above the sword’s haft. As their blades come in contact within her area, it was as if time froze. Her eyes opened and in a quick shift, she slashed at them. They both fell on their backs with their swords on the ground. No blood was spilt. She stood in front of them, holding up the royal seal.

“You are under arrest.” She stated. She looked at her senior and she smiled, proud of their team work. More guards keep coming in, and one of them stopped in front of them.

“Thank you for the help, *Daewi Hwang, *Jungwi Jung.” He said.

“Keep up the good work.” Tiffany said. He bowed to them in respect and helped the others to take the thieves away.

(A/N: Daewi is Captain and Jungwi is First Lieutenant. The man is only a byeongjang, which is Sergeant. I’ll be using English ranks but I just wanted to include that. It sounds so cool! Just so there is no confusion, this is a fic so there could be some changes that would disagree with history. Also, I'm not good at prolonging stories so expect things to be a bit fast. I'll try my best to try and make the story longer so support and help me. Ok, back to the story.)

“You did well today, Krystal.” Tiffany told the First Lieutenant. Krystal smiled, happy that she was praised by her senior. She and Tiffany were both appointed and trained as part of the armed forces of the kingdom and they had made it to their ranks through hard work.

“Thank you, Captain Hwang!” They spent more time patrolling the borders and the town. It was already night time when they headed back. They called on their horses and made their way back to the palace. While going, they talked about how Krystal could improve her sword techniques so that she'll maintain her skills and be in top condition. Also, Tiffany had a concern.

“Krystal. Didn’t I tell you anything about using that ability of yours?” Krystal looked down. It was something she mastered recently so she wanted to try it out as soon as she can. But Tiffany was concerned about it. Krystal’s ability was something that only the two of them knew, other than the Kim family. And she was worried that where ever this power was from, it was something that could cause Krystal’s defeat one day.

“Next time, don’t use it until it’s really necessary. We don’t know if this will cause you your life. Don’t use this power out of curiosity. For there is a consequence with every responsibility anyone has in this world.” Krystal nodded, internally promising that she won’t use it.

They reached the gates in no time and held their passes before the soldier, allowing them to enter the palace gates. They went to the stables and released their horses. On their way to their quarters, an attendant came.

"Good evening, Captain Hwang, First Lieutenant Jung. I was sent to tell you that the King wants you both to see him before retiring to your quarters." They nodded and headed for the King's study. It didn't take them long to reach it. Soon they announced themselves and entered the room.

At the King's study...

"You requested for us, Emperor Kim?"

"Ah, yes. First of all, thank you for doing your job very well. With you two around, patrolling the grounds, I can focus on other things than always stress about the safety of people." He smiled brightly, thanking them.

"No. It is the least we could do. You practically accepted us in the palace when our parents vanished. It is our way of repaying your kindness." Tiffany said while Krystal nodded, agreeing with her answer. Emperor Kim smiled at them, a smile that he only shows his daughter.

"As you two have heard, I am giving you a mission. Usually, this is done by Taeyeon but we have to do something concerning our neighboring kingdom. However, located in between both our kingdoms is the Forbidden Forest of Shadows. That's where both of you come in." He paused to let the information sink in.

"What is our role in the mission, Your Majesty?" Krystal asked, not knowing what exactly to do in the mission.

"You will go on the entrance of the forest. Once you get there, announce yourself and present this." He showed them a letter. He handed it to Tiffany and continued.

"The only thing I request of you is not to enter the forest yet. At least for now..." His voice trailed off. "Once we are on our way to the other side, that's when I want you both to enter the forest with me. That's what I prefer."

"Understood. When do you want us to go?" Tiffany asked.

"Tomorrow morning. I also expect you to help us prepare for the trip."

"Your Majesty, if you don't mind me asking, who will receive this letter?" Krystal asked out of curiosity. Emperor Kim chuckled at the First Lieutenant's inquiry.

"She is a daughter of a friend I used to know when I was young. Now that's enough details. You can go now." He dismissed them. The moment the two left and he was all alone, he sighed.

"She's a very important person, to First Lieutenant Krystal, and especially to you, Captain Tiffany…”

 

On the east side of the palace lined the quarters of those in high positions and those trusted by the King. Tiffany and Krystal went to their respectful rooms and bid each other good night. Tiffany retired to her room right away and changed her clothes. She laid her futon and was dressed in her white-colored clothes which were lined pink. She went in her futon to sleep. The last thing she wondered was why the emperor would tell them to send a message instead of being their bodyguards as they make their way through the forest. In a couple of minutes, she was already asleep. She started dreaming.

 

She was her young self, playing in a place full of trees and nature. There was a stream and a waterfall. She remembered walking in the water, her feet moving to splash the water. She was alone. No one and nothing was there to play with. Her parents were busy talking to some people dressed rather extensively and told her to play a bit but also stay nearby. She looked around and squinted her eyes in one direction. She could hear footsteps and she followed them. It stopped and stopped near the side of a mountain. She saw a girl. Her hair was blonde and was a bit taller than her. She wore blue horse riding clothes and her sleeves were secured by pink bows. The clothes’ outlines were white and soft pink and her hair was also secured on top of her head. She looked at Tiffany, looking stoic. Tiffany, on the other hand, seems to be excited to see a girl her age.

"Hi! I'm Tiffany Hwang. Let's play." Tiffany stated, smiling brightly and revealing her eye smile. The girl still had her stoic face but in a bit, she smiled and nodded. She took Tiffany's hand and pointed at a direction.

"Over there. Let's go." They walked for a bit. The girl stopped in front of a tree. She motioned for Tiffany to climb on her back. Tiffany climbed excitedly, clearly having fun at such a simple thing.  She climbed the tree with Tiffany on her back, once in a while checking if Tiffany's hold was secure. Soon, they reached the top and what Tiffany saw was the view of the whole forest. She saw the waterfall and the streams. She saw the open sky and peace was evident from where they were. They sat in silence. Soon, the sun was about to dip and she had to go home.

"I have to go home now. Let's meet again tomorrow." She said to the girl. The girl looked sad at first but then nodded.

"I'll take you to your parents, Fany." The girl pulled her and settled her on her back. Tiffany, shocked from the sudden movement, held tight. She saw the girl smirk and jump. She closed her eyes, afraid of falling or hurting herself but she didn't feel any injury or even any contact with anything hard. She opened her eyes and saw that they were already on the ground.

"Do you want to walk or run?" The girl asked as Tiffany got down from her back. Tiffany was about to answer but suddenly, the girl's head shot up and she looked in a direction. There was danger in the air and she could feel it; the tense atmosphere and incredible silence was very frightening. Tiffany feels herself being pulled by the girl.

"We have to hurry. Quick!" They ran at a fast speed and soon, Tiffany was feeling tired. They stopped at the top, where a river was connected to a waterfall. Catching her breath, Tiffany couldn't take note of where they were. The only thing she sees is a shadow, violent-looking and dark, in front of them. She took the other girl's hand and held on tightly. The other girl held hers with the same tightness and settled herself between Tiffany and the beast. The beast charged at them. The girl shielded the attack with her right arm but was slashed by the beast, creating a deep wound on her forearm. Tiffany's reaction was to step back, but unbeknownst to her, behind her was a cliff. The water current was so strong that it was not guaranteed that they would live. She feels herself slip. The only thing she saw was the full moon lighting over her. Then a voice.

"Tiffany!" At the mention of her name, she saw a figure reaching out towards her. She could see the shadow transform into a wolf-like creature and jumped after her. As if it ran over water, it quickly settled her into its back and she was carried. Her eyes were closed as she was resting on the creature's back. She didn't get wet from the water and also didn't noticed that the creature was walking on water, forming clusters of ice each step it took, causing the water to have ice prints on them. She slowly fell unconscious and the last thing she heard was the same voice.

"Fany..." Then she woke up as soon as she heard her name.

She cautiously looked around and saw no one. She was still in her room, in the palace. She sighed.

"Just a dream... That memory..." She had a sad smile. It was an old memory from when she was young. It was the reason she has the job she has now. It was the reason she worked so hard to achieve the position she has now. To find her. She was lost in thought for a while, that is until she heard footsteps she knows like the map of the palace. It was lively but princess-like. There was only another person she knows who have the same enthusiasm as Krystal and that would be...

"Annyeong! Tiffany" Behold, the daughter of Emperor Kim, heiress to the Kim family.

"Good morning, too, Taeyeon." Taeyeon opened her windows, letting the first rays of the sun to enter the room. She smiled at her and got up from her bed. She took out her horse riding clothes and gestured for Taeyeon to wait outside. However, the heiress didn't budge.

"Taeyeon... Could you step out and wait outside?" she asked.

"Why? I don't have to. We're both girls and almost practically sisters. I'll wait for you right here." Taeyeon stood on one side of the room near Tiffany's table and sat down." Tiffany looked at her incredulously so Taeyeon looked away and started reading her reports. Trusting that the other won't look, she changed into her clothes and got ready. Once she was done, she saw Taeyeon zoning out, which was very unusual for her friend. She called out.

"Taeyeon. Taeyeon." The girl didn't budge. She tried louder as she was starting to worry.

"Princess Kim Taeyeon!" This apparently worked. Taeyeon snapped out of her trance and looked at her. She answered loudly.

"Yes?!"

"You were zoning out there. Is there something wrong?"

"Huh? No. It’s just I was thinking if the trip to other kingdom would be fun. I hope she agrees to help us cross."

"She? You mean the one who will receive this letter? Do you know her?"

"Yeah and today is not really a good day to deliver the letter or request of her. I don't know why Father would do that." Taeyeon’s reply sparked her curiosity. She got curious as to why today would not be a good day. This day was just like any other day. But before she could ask, Taeyeon stood up.

"Let's go and get Krystal ready. The earlier you do this mission, the better." Both of them left Tiffany's room and walked a few yards. In no time, they were in front of Krystal's room. Taeyeon was about to barge in and wake the First Lieutenant up when the door opened. Krystal looked shock as she saw the princess and her senior. She immediately and enthusiastically greeted them.

"Good Morning, Princess Taeyeon, Captain Hwang!"

"Ya! I told you to call me Taeyeon. You are like another sister to me." Taeyeon reprimanded the young girl. After a couple of minutes, Taeyeon motioned for the two.

"Let's go. It’s still pretty early but you have to go. We can talk more when you both get back." They followed the heiress to the stables and got their horses. As they were about to go and exit the palace gates, Taeyeon gave them a final warning.

"I know my Father already told you this but I'll say it again. Don't enter the forest unless we are there." Both Tiffany and Krystal nodded and rode off. Taeyeon looked as they left.

"If you enter the forest uninvited, you will be trapped in it... Come back safe guys..." As she was about to walk back to her room, she suddenly remembered something.

“Ah! I forgot to give them something. I’m such a pabo!”

 

Tiffany and Krystal rode fast. The entrance to the forest was on the north eastern direction from the palace so it took them a couple of hours to reach the border. There was no one stationed on the gates and in front, they could see the entrance. The forest was very large, covering a wide area. On the gates written was the name of the forest. Forest of Shadows. They could see many trees in front and they were positioned as if they were blocking any possible view of the inside.

"This is it. Okay." Tiffany took out the letter. Both got down from their horses and she announced herself.

"I am Captain Hwang of the Kim family and with me, is First Lieutenant Jung. We are here to deliver a message from Emperor Kim." She waited and waited... And waited. There was no reply or any movement.

"Did I say something wrong?" Tiffany asked Krystal. The other girl shook her head. Soon, they noticed that everything, everywhere, it was quiet. There was a gust of wind and a shadow appeared before them. The stranger was dressed and covered in black clothes. The only features visible were her eyes. They became cautious, not knowing who this person is. The stranger held out her hand. Tiffany slowly stepped forward, still on guard. She placed the letter in her hand. The stranger accepted it and opened the letter before them. They watched the stranger's reaction but to their surprise, she didn't show any emotion. They were shocked to see the shadow turn around. Not even a reply or anything. Not knowing what came over her, Tiffany reached toward the stranger. Sensing an incoming presence, the stranger turned and took hold of her arm. However, she was unable to catch Tiffany's other hand. Tiffany successfully removed the stranger's face mask and was shocked to see blonde hair. The stranger immediately stepped back but since Tiffany was holding onto her, she got pulled in. Krystal, still in daze from shock, realized that Tiffany was stepping in the forest. She hurried.

"Tiffany unnie!" She reached out but was too late as Tiffany and the stranger fell on the ground, Tiffany had gone through the border. Krystal noticed the shock and worry in the eyes of the stranger. She saw how the stranger tried to push Tiffany away. She was shocked when she suddenly spoke.

"Get out. Quickly! You! Don’t come any closer." the stranger shouted at both her and Tiffany, giving Tiffany one last push and signaling for her not to come in. This successfully removed Tiffany from her but the barrier was activated. The last thing Krystal sees was the face of the stranger and a strong gust of wind, transporting the two inside.

"Oh no!" The situation was getting out of hand. First of all, they had just disobeyed the only reminder the King and Taeyeon had warned them. And second, Tiffany just vanished. She decided to return to the palace and report the incident. She jumped to her horse and whistled to call the other one. She took it by its reigns and rode back to the palace.

(A/N: So what did you guys think? Pretty fast, right? I need help with some ideas with the next chapter and how to prolong the story. Pm or just comment on it. I can’t update everyday because of school but I will try to update every weekends. If I don’t have an update yet, it could either mean I’m busy with school or I’m still writing about it. Please take care of me. ^-^ )