Chapter 3: Memories

Forest of Shadows

Tiffany was still sleeping when she started hearing things. She opened her eyes and sat up. There was something wrong. Looking outside, it was still dark. Feeling that she only slept for a few hours, she assumed it was midnight. She could hear a sword's blade gliding across the wind and there was faint breathing heard. There was also the sound of the blade going through things and a couple of groans. She heard a voice.

"Tsk... No matter how many wounds you give me, I won't be poisoned like the first time!" She immediately recognized that it was Jessica's voice. She got up and was about to get dressed when she heard a cry of pain. Her head shot up and her eyes evidently filled with worry and panic. Not bothering to change into her original clothes, she ran out of her room. She opened the entrance door and was shocked to see Jessica sitting on the ground. Her clothes had tears and around her were remnants of what she assumed to be figments of the Shadows. She saw Jessica look around and when their eyes met, Jessica collapsed.

"Jessica!" She hurried outside, rushing to Jessica's side. She saw wounds on Jessica's arms and a couple of others. She noticed a large and deep one on her back. Not knowing how to carry Jessica in the house without hurting her, she frowned. She quickly settled with the idea of carrying Jessica in her arms. That way, even if Jessica gets hurt, she will be able to address them quickly. She took the wounded girl in her arms and headed for the house.

With every step she took, Jessica would hiss in pain or her face would contort because of the pain. Tiffany looked at her with sadness and, unknown to her, with hurt as well as she entered the house. She settled the girl on her bed and started going around the house, looking for supplies. She came back the room with a basin of water and some towels. Seeing as she will need some medical supplies, she left the basin and towels in the room. No later than a minute, she got the kit and sat beside Jessica.

She started cleaning the wounds and applying herbs she found in the other rooms. She fixed and bandaged the wounds on her arms, also the ones just above her chest. It took a bit more time with the wound on the back. She finished quickly before putting a new set of clothes and magoja, a long jacket, beside the girl.

"Tiffany..." She looked at the sleeping girl, expecting her to be awake, only to see her asleep. She smiled as she raised the blanket up and tucked the girl in. As she was about to leave the room to clean the mess up, she noticed her sword beside Jessica. She took it and went outside, leaving the girl to rest.

She took the sword out of its scabbard and inspected the modification. She saw the line that was added. The line shined like a ruby as the moonlight hit it. She started swinging the sword, trying it out. She noticed that the sword was better than it was new. As it sliced through the air, it was as if it sang. The blade also seemed sharper and was reinforced with both silver and steel. She made a mental note to thank the girl later when she wakes up.

 

In the East Palace

Three figures were seated around a table. One of them was playing, making faces, with a hawk, the other just sitting, and another, reading the letter.

Greetings, Emperor Lee:

I am sorry to inform you that our plans would be delayed. As you can see, my Captain was trapped in the forest while in the process of delivering my order. The young Jessica Jung will take care of it but it will take a few days until both are out of the forest. However, there is a possibility of those two coming to your kingdom. So I request of you that you send one of your guards to meet them. Once they arrive, I implore that you show them the underground path that we have constructed so they arrive safely in my town. Send word when they arrive.

Sincerely,

Emperor Kim

Emperor Lee placed the letter down on the table. Sunny and Yoona looked at him.

"What did it say?" The Lee heiress asked.

"It seems that their arrival will be delayed. There was an accident so you won't see Taeyeon in a while." The king looked at her sadly. Sunny looked sad for a bit but quickly changed perspective.

"It's alright. No harm done." She smiled brightly. One of the traits the heiress had was she would always look at the positive side of things. The emperor smiled at her daughter's attitude. He looked back in the letter.

"Master Sergeant Im. I want you to make the preparations. Tomorrow, check the underground paths to the other kingdom if it’s in good condition. I want you to fetch our two guests who will be coming out of the forest. They could come in by tomorrow or the day after that so stay near the exit of the forest." Yoona's eyes shined, clearly happy to be positioned near the forest. Ever since she was young, she had always heard of the forest and its tales. The emperor laughed at Yoona's enthusiasm.

"Be careful, though. I wouldn't want to lose a good guard so don't step in the forest. You can when I meet with Emperor Kim and discuss with him how to cross the border without getting trapped." Yoona, although sad that she can't go in the forest yet, still had the smile on her face and nodded.

"Oh, and keep the bird for a while. It said to send word when those two come in."

"I will take my leave now." She left the study with the hawk.

She was walking when she saw no moon gracing itself on the night sky. She walked to her room slowly as if she was not tied by time. A face invaded her mind. This face was one that had been present in her dreams for a long time, even when she was young. Strangely enough, as she grew up, so does the person in her dream. She sighed.

"Where are you?" She called out softly to no one. She stopped in the middle of the ground and took her sword out of its scabbard. Its blade had a mixed color of red and there was also a same line of ruby that was found on it. She focused on the part of the blade near the hilt. There were writings on it that glowed red like the line. It said, "To my Yoona." She sighed once more.

"One day... I'll find you." With that, she placed the sword back and continued walking. She looked at the hawk.

"How's Taeyeon unnie?" She asked the hawk. The hawk looked like it smiled while making a weird sound. Yoona just laughed.

"I'll take that as a yes." And she continued to her room.

 

The next morning: Kim Palace

Krystal woke early and got ready immediately. This was the first time she will be patrolling town without Tiffany and she was worried that she might encounter some problems with the replacement. It's not that she was worried that the new guard would mess something up. She could handle those but she won't be able to use her ability and if there was an emergency... She shook her head to stop thinking about it. This is what Tiffany had trained her for. She won't have to use her power so there shouldn't be a problem. She got out and headed for the stables. She was shocked to find Taeyeon there, brushing a horse.

"Taeyeon unnie, Annyeong." She greeted. The girl turned around and smiled at her.

"Good morning, Krystal. Are you ready for another day of patrol?"

"Yes. I'm a bit worried though but I'm still good." Krystal noticed the horse Taeyeon was brushing.

"Taeyeon unnie?"

"Hm?"

"Whose horse is that?"

"This belongs to an old friend of mine. This horse was still young when we met. She's pretty grown up now. It’s been years since we last met." Krystal looked at the horse and back at Taeyeon. There was a moment of silence until Taeyeon spoke up.

"You are pretty early. Your new partner won't come in until sunrise. It’s still dawn."

"I was planning on taking a stroll first before starting the patrol. You know that place."

"Well, then. Be back soon, okay?"Krystal nodded as she got her horse out of the stables and settled herself. She soon got out of the palace and into town. She could see some early people who started putting up their stuff for a new day. Some of them greeted her, others waved. She nodded back at them and continued her stroll. When she was away from the village, she came to the intersection. There were three. On the right was the way to the forest and in the middle was the road to an extension of their village. She turned left.

After a while, a large body of water came into view. She got down from her horse and led it on the sand. There was nothing you could hear but the sound of the waves and the sea breeze. It brought comfort on its winds and Krystal smiled. She took out the picture once more. Inspecting the picture, she saw a part with paint on it. A frown was seen on her face. She thought of using water to wash it away but she was afraid that it would ruin the paper. Nevertheless, she got near the water and soaked her fingers in. She carefully let water droplets fall on the paper from her fingers. She wiped it right away with a cloth and thankfully, the smudge came off. She looked closer and saw writings. She read it carefully and she almost dropped the paper on the water. It was signed. The words say "Your sister, Jessica."

She couldn't believe it. Any of it, she didn't have any memory. She placed the picture back in her sleeves and sat on the sand. It was then that she saw an insect. She furrowed her eyebrows. Why would there be a butterfly in the beach? It’s unheard of, until she remembered a memory.

It was a memory of when she was five. She was already staying in the palace at that time. And every time her training ended, she would go near the ocean to play. She was in the water, splashing about. Spinning around, she was happy to relax after the day. She sat down; she felt dizzy. Once she composed herself, she thought it was about time she got back. It was then did she saw another person on the beach. She looked at her and beckoned for her to come closer. Since the person was dressed in clothes that didn't disclosed her identity, Krystal didn't move and just shook her head. She thought she saw the stranger sigh and walk closer toward her. She stepped back.

"Wait." She said. Krystal continued to look at the older girl as she removed her cover. Krystal noticed the stranger's blonde hair and saw that she was holding her hand out. She looked intently at the hand and when it opened, it revealed a butterfly. It flew towards Krystal and settled itself on her head. This brought a smile on her face.

"What is your name?" Krystal saw sadness on the girl's eyes. There was a silence before she spoke.

"I'm your unnie. Your older sister Jessica. See you later, Krystal." As Jessica left, she felt small arms around her. Jessica looked back to see Krystal behind her. Jessica turned around, the younger girl letting go, tears threatening to pour out. She patted the girl's head and said words Krystal had forgotten.

"I said, "see you later", didn't I? We'll meet again." With that, Jessica smiled and left.

 

A smile graced her face, she watched as the butterfly leave. She looked around, expecting to see someone but no one was there. On her mind, only one thing at that time was repeating.

She hurried back to her horse and rode back to the palace. Upon arriving, she saw Taeyeon. She got down from her horse and hugged her tightly.

“Taeyeon unnie!”

"Ugh! Krystal... Too tight..." The heiress tried to pry the young lieutenant away. Noticing this, the girl let go of her.

"Oh! Sorry, Taeyeon unnie but look. And I finally remembered!" Krystal took out the picture and showed it to Taeyeon. Taeyeon inspected the picture and realized that one of the secrets out. She smiled at the young Jung's accomplishment.

"We were planning on telling you about Jessica when they get here but it looks like you already figured it out." It was then it occurred to Krystal that it has been years. She suddenly felt sad.

"Will Jessica unnie remember me?" She asked. Taeyeon smiled at her.

"Why do you think she told you not to come in the forest when you were about to go in for Tiffany? She was always updated with your progression. My father and I would send her messages. I often went there to deliver the messages so the mission you did permanently became my job. Well, at least before you and Tiffany were told to go instead of me." Taeyeon assured her.

"Now, if you have other questions, you can talk to her when she comes. I don't know everything. Right now, it’s time to start your patrol. Your new partner will be here any minute." They stood in silence, waiting for the new guard to come.

 

In the East Palace

Yoona was awake and was on her way to the entrance of the underground path when she hears footsteps. These were loud and the person it belongs to seemed in a hurry. She turned back to see Sunny running towards her.

"Annyeong, Yoona! Are you headed to the passage?" The bubbly heiress asked her.

"Ne. I'm on my way right now. Is there something you need?"

"Aniyo. I just remembered that the door is locked and I have the key so here." Sunny gave Yoona the key.

"I used to sneak up this passage to go to the other kingdom to play so Father gave the key to me."

She noticed they were at the entrance of the passage already. She opened the lock with the key and returned it to Sunny. They looked in the area. It was still in good condition and even through all these years, it was still the same. Of course it was dark and there were old lights that had gone out a long time ago but strangely enough, there were what looked like freshly lit torches on the walls, replacing the old lights that used to lead the way.

"Why are there new torches here, Sunny unnie?" Yoona turned to see Sunny in shock. She assumed that Sunny didn't know too, that is, until the girl spoke up.

"Waaa~ it’s still here." Sunny went in and was running up and down the tunnels.

"Sunny unnie, what is this?"

"Well, this can be explained by two things. Firstly, since this ground is still part of the Forest of Shadows’ area, even if it’s just soil, it’s magical in its own way. Second, these are the torches we made several years ago." Sunny was looking at the torches, reminiscing of the past.

"We? Do you mean you and Princess Taeyeon?"

"Ne. We used to play around, you see. But as we grew up, we became busier so we made these torches as our last game."

"If you made them years ago, why is it that they are still alive? They should have burned out by now."

"It’s a long story but we made the torches from the branches and woods we got from the forest. I'll tell you all about it next time. See you later." Sunny turned and left the passage, leaving Yoona to herself.

 

In the Forest of Shadows

Tiffany awoke to the light that blinded her eyes. She used her hand as a shade for a bit until she was really awake. She got up and stretched, welcoming the new day. She looked around the room. The sun shined and lightened the room. She quickly got dressed. She headed to the guest room and found Jessica, still sleeping. She looked at the bandages to check if she needed to change them. She carefully changed the bandages one by one. She noticed that the wounds were already healed, only a few were visible, some of them vanished. She collected the old bandages and replaced some that needed changing. The scar on her back looked like it was almost healing too. But there was one that didn't change. The one on Jessica's right forearm seemed to have closed but was still there. Unlike the other wounds from last night that have healed and vanished, this one didn't.

"Is it infected?" She asked no one in a silent voice. Nevertheless, she wrapped it with new bandages and left the girl to rest. She went into the kitchen.

"I bet she'll be hungry when she wakes up. I'll cook some food." She looked around and collected the cooking utensils. She went to a small room in the kitchen to find some ingredients. After getting all the things ready, she prepared the food. Thinking about the other girl's current state, she placed the food on a table and carefully brought it to the room. Jessica was still sleeping.

She looked outside to estimate the time. It was nearing noon and the girl was still asleep. She decided that the girl was still tired so she ate first, cleaned the dishes, and left food near Jessica in the room. Not wanting to leave the area, she started doing some other chores while the girl rested. She went out and started washing some of their clothes. She cleaned the blood from the other girl's clothes and some dirt on hers. After so, she sewed new cloths on the tears after closing them up. She looked around again and saw that it was afternoon already. She went back inside to check on Jessica and to her surprise, the girl was still sleeping! She carefully checked Jessica's breathing, thinking about the worst case scenario. She was pleased to find that the girl was still alive.

"I know she's hurt a lot but she needs to eat..." She thought. She nudged the girl.

"Jessica..."

"..."

"Jessica." a bit louder than last time.

"..."

"Jessica!" She was now shaking the girl's shoulders. But no matter how loud her voice gets, the girl didn't even move.

"..." After a couple more failed attempts, she saw Jessica slowly wake up, her eyes fluttering open.

Jessica slowly looked around. She realized she was at her house. She saw the window was open and she deduced it was late in the afternoon already. When she looked to her right though, she didn't expect to see a tired-looking Tiffany. She slowly sat up and was surprised to feel some restraints in her body. She saw some bandages on her arm and a large one wrapped around her back. She raised her arms, testing them out and was satisfied that there was no pain from anywhere else but her forearm and her back. She already knew about her forearm but the one in her back felt new. She suddenly remembered the attack from last night and looked up. Somewhat, she felt compelled to thank the other girl, although she still didn't why the other was so tired.

"What's wrong with you?" She could practically see the disbelief in the other girl's face.

"You slept for a long time. An estimated 16 hours... and I tried to wake you up. You wouldn’t even move."

"Why did you even try to wake me up?"

"You had to eat something." Jessica looked beside her and saw some newly prepared food. She felt warm inside, seeing as this was the first time in years since someone else had cooked for her and cared for her. Not knowing how to express her gratitude, she settled with just a normal expression.

"Thank you..." Jessica started eating, not bothering to look at the other girl. She heard Tiffany giggle. She decided not to say anything.

"You're welcome... But you sure are a heavy sleeper." Silence engulfed the room and Tiffany decided to say some things.

"First of all, thank you for modifying my sword. You did a very nice job. It's better than before." Jessica continued eating, nodding to show she was listening.

"You're wounds healed pretty quickly. When I found you outside last night, you had a lot. Now, most of them looked like they never happened." Tiffany watched as Jessica ate, not bothering to answer. Just as she was about to say the next thing on her mind, she heard her spoke.

"It's just an ability I developed while living here."

"Ah... Then why is it that scar in you forearm didn't heal like the rest?" She waited again.

"It's because it’s the first one I've ever gotten way before I got used to training." Silence again. Tiffany saw that Jessica finished eating and started clearing the plates. She was stopped.

"I'll do it now. Just stay here." Tiffany let the other girl move around. She saw Jessica move as if she had not received any wounds at all. The movement was silent and fluid. The night came fast and they decided to leave tomorrow.

 

(A/N: Waaa~ three updates in a week. I’m tired. Hey, guys! How are you all doing? I had a couple of free time so I was writing the story a while. I want to change my former statement about me not being good at descriptions. The problem is I write to many descriptions and it prolongs the story. ^^; Thanks for still reading though and the new comments and subscribers, too. I really appreciate it. They are my energy source. ㅋㅋㅋ Sorry, I am having trouble capturing SNSD’s characters. I’ll work on it. I’m not so satisfied with my writing today. What do you guys think? I'll try to work on the next one right away. ^-^v)