Chapter 10: Separation and Reunion

Forest of Shadows

They were all staying at Jessica's house that day. Everyone was very happy but inside, they were sad as well and it was evident with three of the girls. Krystal, Yoona, and Tiffany all have read the book and they were upset.

Krystal only got reunited with her sister and only blood-related family member now. She spent her years growing up not knowing nor remembering their parents or her sister. Now that they are together again, the feeling of separating again is unbearable. It was pretty nice for the others to be part of her life. Taeyeon and Tiffany became her Unnies as she grew up but no one can ever replace a sister you have but never met.

After meeting Yuri, Yoona knows it already. She wants to be with Yuri forever. She had seen the girl grow up through her dreams and have fallen for her. When they met physically for the first time and those few moments they shared together, those newly made memories could last her a lifetime. However, with those memories alone and without Yuri, it will be an empty life. If by replaying those memories over and over again and she be with her, there's no point in keeping those memories.

Tiffany was probably more broken now than she was before, if that was possible. She was happy that she had a few moments with her mother. It was all thanks to Jessica's help. Recalling every memory and every moment, she remembers all about her past. Jessica was a big part of it. And she assumes that like for Yoona is Yuri, for her and Krystal, Jessica will also be a part of their future.

They were all aware of the two vanishing once their seals are opened. For Yuri, it was tonight. Jessica, on the other hand, should also perform the ritual tonight so she won't be controlled. But Tiffany didn't want to raise her sword to Jessica. She would never. She doesn't have the courage to. She saw Jessica stood up.

"Krystal, come with me." Krystal nodded and followed Jessica.

"We'll be back in a while." The two exited the room. Tiffany remembers her mother's embarrassing words.

'The next time I see you again, I hope I see a ring on your finger.'

Tiffany smiled at that. With those words in mind, she felt a bit better. If she has to wait forever, she would wait for Jessica.

 

With the Jung’s

"Unnie, where are we going?" Krystal said as she followed her sister, still in her guardian form.

"Do you want to have some fun before tonight?" Jessica asked. Krystal nodded enthusiastically.

"Let's have a race then."

"Eh? But you'll win for sure. You have a bigger stride than I do right now." She complained. Jessica could only chuckle.

"Come on. It's just for fun. If you get pass me just one time, you'll get something."

"What's that?"

"You have to get pass me first. Let's start." Jessica and Krystal stood, ready to run.

"What are the rules?"

"It's safe to run anywhere in the forest so the course can be a straight line until we are stopped by tree groups. No one can get hurt. This is a sibling competition after all."

"Definitely. Anything else?"

"Nope. Okay. Ready. Set. Go!" They set off. Of course, being in her wolf form, she was faster than Krystal. Despite that, Krystal kept going as fast as she can. When Jessica was already a mile away, Krystal knew she had to change tactics. She looked around for a shortcut but found none. It was then that she looked up and saw a great opportunity.

Jessica no longer hears steps on the ground. She looked back, still running. There was no sign.

She remembers an old memory of a two-year old Krystal. Jessica was seven at that time and even though very young, Krystal would already show an interest in playing with her. Their parents were always around every time they play, just to watch over them. They would play a lot of games but Krystal seemed to be enthusiastic that most when they would run from one point of the house to another. In simpler words, racing. Of course, Jessica had been breathing and moving for seven years so she would walk from the start to the finish line, occasionally speeding up to fool Krystal. When they were both near the finish line, it seemed like Krystal would stop and sit. When that happens, Jessica would go back to her and help her reach the line, supporting the younger from behind.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a shadow that obstructed the sunlight from the above. She looked up and saw Krystal. She could see the younger Jung jumping from branch to branch. She couldn't help but smile as she was filled with pride inside.

"You've really grownup..." Jessica whispered to herself. She sped up a little bit and slowed down when her senses picked up a sound. She heard a branch creak before it gave way. She came to a final stop and soon, a weight was dropped on her back.

"Ouch... Thanks for catching me Unnie." Krystal said happily even though she just dropped several feet from above.

"You’re welcome." Jessica and Krystal both reached what they determined was the finish line and stopped.

"Okay. That's it for today." Jessica said.

"That was fun! I-" Krystal didn't continue. Jessica looked at her. She knows what Krystal was thinking. She had to go tonight and there was a possibility to never come back. While they were walking back, Krystal had her head down all the time. The walk back was silent and they were back at the house.

"Krystal..." Jessica called. Krystal looked at her with full attention. Jessica motioned for her to enter a room. Krystal went in first and Jessica followed. She pointed at the drawers on a cabinet near the wall. Krystal opened it and she saw two things: a picture and a hairpin.

She held it out and Jessica nodded. She noticed the hairpin first. It was long and it looked brand new. The unique feature on it was a butterfly design on the end. She smiled. Next, she turned her attention to the picture. It looked like a picture of a man and a woman seated together. The people in the picture were their parents.

Her eyes teared up as she embraced her sister.

"If- when I come back, you'll be the first to know." Krystal nodded. She yawned.

"Go to sleep. I'll see you again next time." Jessica said to her. Krystal went out and stayed at another room with the others.

'There's one more thing to do.'

She came in the other room later after Krystal left. When she looked around, Yuri and Yoona were missing from the group.

'She goes first I guess...' She thought. Her eyes search for a certain pair and when they met, they immediately exited the room. They were outside the house.

"Is it time?" Tiffany asked. Jessica nodded. She looked up at the full moon on the night starry sky.

"Before we do the ritual, there's somewhere I want to show you again while I'm here. Climb on."

Jessica and Tiffany ventured out the forest. It was dark but the moonlight guided their path. Jessica walked at a normal pace and she stopped.

"Where are we?" Tiffany asked, looking around.

"Hold on." Jessica suddenly jumped high. Tiffany quickly grabbed on as thy soared high up the sky and landed on top the tree. Tiffany looked up and she was met with familiar scenery. They were both sitting on the highest tree in the forest and it was the same scene she saw as a child when she was with Jessica. The top was beautiful. It had the view of trees and the horizon.

"This... was the place we spent the afternoon before we separated." Jessica mentioned while looking at the sky. A certain burst of green and blue orbs caught their attention.

 

With Yoona and Yuri

They had separated themselves from the group earlier while Jessica and Krystal were out. Yuri's time was running out and they were trying to spend their possibly last few moments together. They both knew it was going to happen soon and it hurts the both of them deeply. They were at the guardian residence. Yuri was fixing tea while Yoona sat on the floor in the tree house.

"Here." Yuri gave a cup of tea to Yoona, who drank it slowly. After quenching an invisible thirst, Yoona gazed at Yuri's eyes.

"I might not have another chance to tell you this once again so I'm saying it again." She said with a sad smile. Yuri listened intently.

"I really love you, Yuri. I love you." Yoona said as she moved closer to Yuri and gave her a kiss. When they broke away, Yuri was glowing already. Green and blue light fragments flew up the sky. Yoona held onto Yuri, crying again. Yuri looked at her lovingly and hugged her closer. She whispered in Yoona's ear.

"I love you, too, My Yoona." With that, she vanished, leaving behind a burst of light fragments.

There was something in Yoona's hand. She grasped it tightly as she tried to stop the tears.

 

After witnessing a sudden flash of color on one side of the scenery, it was time. Tiffany hugged Jessica close and tightly. She was about to cry.

"I can't do it..." A tear dropped from Tiffany's eyes and into Jessica's mane, hitting the guardian sapphire stone on her forehead. It glowed. Tiffany withdrew from Jessica.

"What...?" She could see an astral projection of Jessica's being inside the wolf. She could see Jessica's shock face as well so she knew this wasn't supposed to happen.

"I guess you don't have to use your sword anymore. Your tears just did them." Jessica said. Sooner, Jessica's form was starting to fade. Unlike Yuri's green and blue orbs, Jessica's were only blue orbs of light.

"Wait!" Tiffany cried to Jessica. She just held on to the girl but Jessica just shook her head. She felt Jessica's hands on hers, removing her hands from the girl's clothes.

"I'll be back. Wait for me." Jessica's hand pressed into her own and she felt something be placed in her palm. One look at Jessica's smiling face, and then nothing. There was another burst of blue light and she was alone. She looked up at the sky and it was then did the first snow of the year appeared before her.

 

 

About two years and a month later

Taeyeon looked up at the sky. It was currently the middle of winter and today was unlike the usual. There was no snowfall that day. The morning began with a sunny day but there was a noticeably adequate breeze that blew chills on every person. She was supposed to be cold but she can't be because of the big ray of sunshine beside her. Sunny was next to Taeyeon. Today, since both of them worked hard for a long while, they were able to get a day off royal duties and they decided to spend time horseback riding. Along their stroll with the horses, they talked about how everyone has been.

After being separated for a long while, they didn't want to be apart any longer. So what happened was, all of them beside Sunny and Taeyeon were stationed in a place that is covered by both territories of the Kim and the East kingdom. Krystal still kept her place as First Lieutenant and did her patrols but she now does them on her own. Sometimes, she would help train new soldiers with Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, and Seohyun. The three had their very own place that they claimed was their station. And when they had free time, they invited the gang and they would hang out. The other two, Yoona and Tiffany, had it a bit more different.

For some odd reason, the night the minute they got back to the palace and were discussing the possibility of new stations, they both requested to be pulled off the field duty for a while and requested to do some sedentary work. From both sides, they helped the princesses with the royal work of which they regulated different parts of the kingdom's wellbeing. Tiffany helped Taeyeon while Yoona help Sunny. There are times that the princesses would overwork themselves and Yoona and Tiffany would ask them to take the day off. Sometimes, the both of them would just disappear for a whole day then be back by night.

"Both of them are still waiting." Sunny commented. Taeyeon could only nod.

"It’s been exactly two years and a month since we last saw them. Where do you think they are?" she asked.

"I don't really know, Sunny. And for them to be like this, they must be a little hope still inside of them." A thought crosses Taeyeon’s mind.

"If I vanished and you didn't know where I was, would you wait for me even if you're not sure if I'll come back?" Sunny's face had a smile on it and she pretended to think.

"Ya! That's a yes or no question." Taeyeon hit Sunny's arm lightly.

"I was just teasing." Sunny laughed first before Taeyeon did as well. When their laughter died down, a blushing Sunny but smiling brightly was seen.

"You already know the answer to that. I would wait for you until the moment I see you again. And I'm sure that when I see you again, I would never let you go." Taeyeon blushed at the confession. Before she could day anything, she sees Krystal riding towards them.

"Unnie, I think their coming back today!" Krystal said. This shocked Sunny and Taeyeon.

"How can you be so sure?" Taeyeon asked. It was then did she saw a butterfly flying near Krystal.

"Omo~ a butterfly? In the middle of winter?" Taeyeon asked no one.

"Why is its wing pattern different?" They noticed that one wing was ornately designed but the other only was marked with a black circle. Realization hit the three.

"It’s been so long. Where are both Yoona and Tiffany?" Sunny asked Taeyeon.

"They are at the palace. Krystal, you can go first. Tell them to come with you. Don't tell them yet. Bring them over there near the entrance. I'll assemble the team." With that they separated.

 

An hour later

"What is it, Krystal? We have some work to do." Tiffany said as Krystal pulled both her and Yoona out of the library. They were discussing the finance until Krystal showed up.

"You need to get out today, Unnie." But Tiffany and Yoona figured that there was something up when they walked the road. They stopped near the entrance.

"You can use a day out today. And besides, you don't know if they might come." Krystal said to the two. A little bit hopeful, they waited outside. Soon, the group assembled near. They stopped ten feet radius away from Yoona and Tiffany. Krystal came closer to them to leave the two who were waiting. Of course, she was waiting too but it was evident that she has more hope than the two who have little bit hope and possibly more doubt. After all, they really weren't sure.

Hours passed and there was still no sign. Yoona and Tiffany were standing at the same spot they were at the minute they arrived. The others were sitting and leaning on the trees around that they cleaned off so that the snow isn't covering it anymore.

Suddenly, there was a strong gust of wind. It caused a bit of alarm in the group. A shining light caught their attention. It was as if the portal was opening again. Finally, it opened. It was a clear, green colored portal and there were movements behind it. Feeling a sense of adrenaline gushing out, Yoona suddenly ran near the portal and out came a person falling, tripping face first. Good thing Yoona was already waiting on the ground to catch whoever it was.

"Yuri..." Yoona caught Yuri before she fell. The girl opened her eyes and smiled at her. They stood up and soon, Yuri made eye contact with Tiffany. She nodded to the girl and motioned to look at the portal.

Tiffany looked. There was a silhouette on the other side. It slowly drew nearer and a figure came out of the portal. Unlike blonde hair from before, light brown locks were flowing freely at the breeze's playful wind. Unlike the dark color hanbok the figure wore from before, this was a bright colored combination of lavender and light pink.

Tiffany covered with her hand as tears cascaded from her eyes. On her ring finger was a ring of blue sapphire. The person raised their hand as if to wave and it revealed a similar ring with the same stone.

"Jessi..."

"Fany-ah~ I'm back." A wide smile made it all the way to Tiffany's face as she ran in Jessica's embrace. Their fingers interlaced and their rings glittered together.

 

(A/N: Finally! It’s finally finished. It's kind of short but it’s a happy ending. I'm sorry if the update was late. Let me tell you about my week. I got sick earlier this week and missed a couple of days at school. When I got back, I had a lot of making up to do. Then I have another project due tomorrow. But hey, I finished it. I know I said that I'll post a new story as well today but I couldn't. I'll do that next week. I'm still a bit unsure with the idea. Anyway, thank you guys for being with me until the end of FoS. Let's meet again next time. I hope you join me again. See you guys again. ^-^v)