Chapter 6: Closeness, Confessions, and Arrival

Forest of Shadows

The three bowed. Tiffany, Yoona, and Yuri introduced themselves politely. Jessica didn't say anything.

"You must be Jessica Jung, right?" Sooyoung asked. Jessica just looked at her, nothing but a stoic expression. Everyone could see the three new guards cringe. They looked away.

"Jessica, no need to be cold to them. It’s not even winter yet and you are freezing everything." Yuri spoke up. Jessica looked at Yuri. Yuri's expression said something. We'll settle this later.

"Since you guys did some rather earth-pounding training, I bet you guys are hungry. Let's go." All of them walked with Sunny. Jessica and Yuri were lagging behind. Before they could start talking though, Tiffany and Yoona settled between them.

"Just in case, safety first." Tiffany said. Yoona didn't say anything but still walked closer to Yuri. Jessica sighed, figuring that the two won't let both her and Yuri to talk for a while. So they just went along. They all got together and Yuri was shocked to find that Sooyoung and her very own Yoona have a very healthy appetite. At that moment, she actually was happy that she could cook a decent meal.

Night came fast and all of them retreated to different guest rooms. Jessica, Tiffany, and Yuri settled in one while another room was taken by the Second Lieutenants.

The first night they stayed in the East Palace was interesting. Sunny told them that it was better to stay at the same room the night they came. She wanted everyone to be acquainted. Although that night wasn't really a success because Jessica didn't participate, they got to know each other really well. The next day didn't have any special events so it went by right away. There were some developments with the relationships though.

 

The next night in Tiffany, Jessica and Yuri's room

 

Tiffany had already changed. She was clad in white sleeping clothes and was laying all the beds on the floor. She fixed the blankets and the pillows, making sure they were ready to lie on. She looked at the two who weren't dressed for bed. Jessica was just sitting in a corner, her sword leaning on the wall. Yuri was just about to change when she remembered something.

"Tiffany, Jessica. I'm going outside for a while, probably on the roof. I forgot today was young moon. This is one in two instances when my seals are lifted for a little while. I'll be back before dawn."

"Okay. Just don't run into trouble." Tiffany answered while Jessica didn't move. Yuri left the room. Tiffany continued arranging the beds. After so, she went in her bed but remained sitting. She looked at Jessica.

"Aren't you sleepy?" she asked.

"I can't easily sleep in another place right away." Jessica answered after a while. Tiffany looked at her and smiled.

"Okay, then. If you feel sleepy or tired, just stay here." She patted the bed beside her. She slipped in the covers and closed her eyes. She was ready to sleep but something kept her awake. An hour has passed and her breathing was calm. She just kept silent, her eyes still closed. She could hear faint shuffles at the bed beside here. She assumed Jessica was about to sleep. When she heard a light thud, she opened her eyes and saw Jessica's sword near them. She closed her eyes right away. It looks like Jessica didn't notice that she was still awake. She felt a hand her hair. The sensation was very relaxing that in no later than a minute, she fell into a deep slumber. Jessica could be seen looking at her. She knew that Tiffany had fallen asleep already. She slid under the blanket and lay near Tiffany, at the middle of their joined Han-Ok. She watched Tiffany's peaceful slumber and tried to memorize her face. She inched near the girl, her lips near the girl's forehead. She kissed her forehead lightly and then, she heard a flute. She pulled away carefully. She lay back down on her back, as the flute's sound drowned the night. Before sleep overtook her, she felt Tiffany snuggle closer next to her.

 

Outside Earlier.

Yuri went outside the room and closed the door. She could feel the small light from the moon call her. She ran and jumped towards the roof of a nearby segment. She was facing the crescent moon and its light wrapped her in its power. She could feel her power increasing and she started floating. In less than two feet from the roof, she stopped going up high. It’s like she was suspended in that area, lest she was standing there as if she was on ground. A more intricate magic circle than she usually uses was drawn under her. Light green and blue light shined and engulfed her completely. Behind her, two tails are present, and another one appeared. And another and another one. She closed her eyes and transformed. She was a white fox, now with nine tails, at her complete form, bigger than usual. She gained footing on the roof and sat there. Her fur gleamed as the moonlight shines upon it, the black spot on her side still there. All nine of her tails moved slowly, rhythmically. Its movement was fluid and gracefully. She looked up at the moon. Every month, it’s like this in the forest. She would go to the top of her tree house and watch the moon until it was over. The night was calm and silent. She heard some footsteps on the roof. She looked behind her and found Yoona.

 

Yoona was walking around the palace like she usually does every night. She would check the walls and the gates. She had just finished her last round when she saw Yuri on top of the roof. She watched how the wind graced her form and played with her hair, her focus still on the moon, unaware of Yoona's presence. Yoona just stared at Yuri, wondering what she is doing on the roof at the middle of the night. She saw the girl float and a magic circle was drawn under her. She watched Yuri's transformation, amazed at the beauty and complexity to grasp the idea. After Yuri was replaced by a fox, she hurried and climbed the wall. Jumping easily, she made her way up behind the fox. Yoona saw Yuri look at her.

"Good evening, Yuri." She saw Yuri face her and nodded.

"Good evening, too, Yoona." she heard a reply. Joy and amused curiosity was plastered on Yoona's face. She didn't expect for Yuri to answer back. She was in her guardian form after all. Shrugging how it worked, she sat next to her.

"What are you doing, up so late?" she asked.

"It's a guardian ritual. Every guardian has this days when their seals are lifted and they could do anything they want. For me, it’s twice a month, every time the young moon appears in the sky. This month is a harvest moon so I get my seals removed a bit longer than usual. Before, I play with some of the guardians when it is time but there are days when I just watch the moon until it’s over. How about you?"

"I usually patrol around for a bit and sleep. I finished it but I saw you." Yoona paused, looked at Yuri and smiled. "You are really beautiful in this form."

If it was possible, Yuri was blushing. She was happy that she wasn't in her human form right now. A blush would definitely be seen in her face.

"Thanks." she replied. They sat there for a moment when Yoona thought of an idea. She reached in her pockets and pulled out a flute. She started playing it, her eyes closed, focusing on the music and its delivery. In her mind, she was also thinking of the girl beside her. Yuri looked at her, somewhat surprised. After regaining in a second, she closed her eyes and let the music enter her mind. After a while, Yoona finished.

Yoona opened her eyes as she looked at Yuri and was she shocked to find the fox's nuzzle near her face. How shocked she might have been, she sat still and felt it touch her cheek. Yuri withdrew and laid down, her head on the girl's lap. Yoona was still a little bit dazed. She noticed Yuri after a while.

"Is it all right?" Yoona asked. She received a nod from the fox. She reached for the head on her lap and caressed it. She its fur, feeling its softness on her skin. In a few, Yuri raised her head and stood up.

"It's done for today. Wait for a bit." Yoona saw once again the transformation, this time in reverse. Yuri was once again human. They got down from the roof together.

"Thanks for accompanying me. It was more enjoyable than usual." Yuri thanked her.

"You’re welcome. I enjoyed this time with you, too." Yoona smiled once again. They looked at each other a bit longer. Yuri stepped closer and hugged Yoona. The other girl embraced her back tightly. They pulled apart and Yuri kissed Yoona's cheek, once again.

"Good night. Sleep well." Then she went on her way to the guest room. Yoona watched as Yuri disappeared from her sight. She touched the area where Yuri just kissed her. She could still feel it. Her heart rate was rising. On her way back, she kept telling her heart to slow down, her heart still beating wildly.

 

The next morning at the Kim Palace

Taeyeon had told Krystal to wait until the next day to go to meet Tiffany and Jessica. It was now the next morning and when Taeyeon opened her door, she saw Krystal in front.

"Looks like you're ready. Come. Let's go." Taeyeon walked towards the gates, with Krystal following behind her. This day was specially planned for both Taeyeon and Krystal. Emperor Kim, knowing that they were heading for the East Palace that day, decided to clear off both their schedules so that no one would bother both of them.

"Taeyeon unnie, we're not using the horses today?" Krystal asked. Taeyeon nodded.

"The entrance to the path is not that far. I checked it yesterday and it was near. We can walk from here." They walked through town and in about an hour, they were already in front of the doors. They walked down the stairs and along the straight path.

"We just walk here and we'll be there soon." Both ventured onwards.

"Taeyeon unnie, if there was such as this path, why didn't we go through here instead of the forest?" Krystal asked.

"As you can see this structure is not pretty wide. We can't use the horses here and besides, this path is right under the forest. We wouldn't want to disturb anything that runs in that place. We didn't really plan for this passage to be used as a shortcut when we travel. This is more of the safe way or secret path to be used only in some national emergencies. But we don't really use it. So instead, I played here often when I was a kid." Taeyeon explained half truth. They walked in silence. Krystal was taking note on the path and its structure while Taeyeon was thinking of how to convince Jessica to not be foolish. Before she left, she learned about it. Her father told her how Tiffany's mother could be saved, according to Jessica's plan. She remembered.

 

The one that keeps the shadows in the forest is a soul. This soul is Tiffany's mother. For her to be free, Jessica needs to destroy the shadows at the root of the guardian tree, where they trapped the soul. But for her to be able to destroy it, she has to use her powers to its full extent. If she uses her guardian form, she can defeat them. The unfortunate part of this is that she herself will be stuck in her guardian form and she will be overwhelmed, controlled by its nature, its power because she can't control it. It will continue to drain her life. The poison she had acquired as child will take its effect and the ever last guardian of the Jung’s will die...

 

Taeyeon frowned at the thought. She doesn't want Jessica to die. No one would want their friend to die. Now that Krystal have remembered her sister, she can't afford to lose her either. Taeyeon is determined. She will find another way to let Jessica live.

In her pocket was a small book. The information above was also written on the book. It was given to her by her father. Unfortunately, it wasn't written in their language but it was said to be magical record written by Jessica's father about the Forest of Shadows. Taeyeon needs help in translating it. That was one of the reasons she asked the three Second Lieutenants to meet her at the East Palace. There was a spell written on the cover of the book, which is probably the thing that conceals the text and manifests itself in a foreign writing. Taeyeon was able to make it out. It said: All will be known when the half moon appears on the night of brokenness.

Taeyeon didn't understand the clue. She just hoped that this didn't have anything to do with Jessica's plan. But she is worried that the half moon is only a day away. A couple of days ago were the waxing gibbous. It will take a number of days until the message the spell dictates to come around. She will try to defy the prediction. Little did she know that this book will tell them all when that night comes. But the problem is that to get out of the underground path, it would take at least half a day. She sighed heavily.

 

In the East Palace: The day of the half moon

Tiffany was still sleeping when both Yuri and Jessica woke up.

"It's surprising that you woke up earlier today." Yuri commented while rubbing her eyes, a bit sleepy. Jessica didn't say anything. She stayed under her covers while looking at the ceiling. She was thinking.

"Stop it right now." Yuri suddenly said. Jessica looked at her questioningly. Yuri got up and motioned for Jessica to come outside. Yuri went out first.

"Jessi..." Tiffany spoke. She was still asleep though. Jessica went out after a swift and quiet movement, careful to not wake the sleeping girl.

 

Outside

"Are you sure you want to do it? Is that why you made her that sword?" Yuri inquired. Jessica nodded.

"It’s the only way." was Jessica's only reply. Yuri sighed.

"You’re doing this to make her happy?"

"...she grew up alone, not even knowing her parents that long. One meeting with her mother is the only thing I can grant her."

"...you are a pabo." Jessica frowned at Yuri.

"Do you think she'll be happy without you?" Jessica scoffed. Yuri faced her.

"I can see it. What she feels for you... Every time she is around and sees you, she becomes brighter than gems. Her feelings... You can't ignore them."

"I don't... That's why I want her to be happy. It’s up to fate, when this is over, if I can come back."

"She will not bring herself to hurt you in any way. I know she won't be able to strike you with that sword." Silence engulfed the conversation

"Even if you go ahead with this plan, she'll be alone again. You can't guarantee that you will come back.".

"If she doesn't know, she won't wait. It won't give her false hope."

"So you prefer to destroy her hope then."

"...I'm not destroying any hope if it wasn't there in the first place." Yuri looked at her in disbelief.

"I can read people. That's how I got along with you. I can see that Tiffany is hoping to be with you. To be by your side... If you go through with this plan, you'll be destroying that hope!" Before Jessica could answer, she heard something.

"Did you hear that?" Yuri focused her senses. It was faint but she could hear them. Once she realized who they were, she looked at Jessica cautiously. Jessica just nodded.

"They got out. The full moon can't wait. If I don't do anything now, I really will mess this life up." Jessica bolted to the presence with Yuri tailing behind her.

"Let me help you. I can buy you more time. That friend of yours will be here soon. Tiffany will be fine. We can go back to the forest today." Jessica didn't say anything.

 

They got to the court and saw dark entities among wounded trainees. It was clear that the shadows wanted to make them suffer.

The shadows noticed them. They let out a cry of intimidated. Yuri transformed into her form. Jessica drew her sword from its case and pointed at the creatures.

"Go back to the forest or else." Jessica told them, coldness seeping through every word. The shadows just charged at both of them. Yuri did well. There were a lot of shadows at that encounter. With her in her guardian form, she was able to defeat them easily, slashing at them, tearing them to shreds. It was the good side of being a guardian. They have the power to destroy the shadows.

Jessica, on the other hand, did normally from a normal person's view. She, too, was able to defeat them right away but it seems that the poison was acting up. There would be a split second where her grip would loosen and it would not go through the shadow. She quickly hid it by swinging right away and made it look like it was a planned two-slash technique. One of the shadows was able to rip her right forearm's ribbon. She struck it and it vanished like the others. She looked at the flesh and Yuri saw it, too. Unlike Jessica, Yuri couldn't believe what she was seeing so she had a look of shock on her face.

"What happened to that?" She exclaimed, asking at the same time. She saw lines. On Jessica's forearm scar, the poison had manifested itself. There were design-like, black lines on her skin as if they were tattoos. Although it looked really beautiful, it was deadly.

"My time's running out. That's all." Jessica shrugged it off. She reached in her robe and took out an extra ribbon. After she tied it, she aligned her finger to her lips.

"Don't tell anyone about this. Especially Tiffany. She doesn't need to know about this." Yuri shook her head.

"No. She has the right to know."

"Don't tell her." That ended the discussion. Yuri kept quiet while Jessica was just looking around, just in case they could be more shadows. They didn't see the three individuals that watched the whole thing; they also heard the whole thing.

 

The three hid quickly when they noticed the two beings walk back. After a while, they were still undetected, waiting for the two to be out of sight. They came out and talked.

"Is this why Taeyeon wants us here? I'm still lost." Hyoyeon said. Sooyoung nodded.

"They don't tell us anything. How are we supposed to do our jobs?"

"Taeyeon unnie is probably on Yuri unnie's side. They are concerned that Tiffany unnie will be sad. But it looks like Jessica unnie has a plan though..." Seohyun brought up. The three of them continued to ponder.

"Yuri said that Tiffany has to strike Jessica with her sword. Does that mean Tiffany has to kill Jessica?" Sooyoung deduced.

"What good with that do?" Hyoyeon asked.

"Don't ask me. That's what the scene states right now." The three were troubled.

"Jessica unnie just came from that forest, right?" Seohyun brought up. The other two nodded.

"Unnies, let's just wait for Taeyeon unnie. We can't be sure about something unless everything is confirmed." They decided to get back. The sun was up when they got to Sunny's room.

 

Tiffany opened her eyes and looked up. She remembered where she was and looked around. She was alone in the room. She didn't see Yuri or Jessica. She sat up and looked beside her. She didn't see Jessica's sword. She quickly thought that something went wrong. She stood up and got changed. After a quick change, she took her sword and headed for the door. When she opened the door and was faced with a shock Yuri.

 

"Oh, Tiffany! You’re awake. Good morning." Yuri smiled as she greeted the girl. Tiffany smiled back and was about to ask about Jessica when she saw Jessica sitting outside. She let out a sigh of relief.

"What's wrong?" Yuri asked. Jessica's head turned a bit but didn't face them. It was evident that she was listening though.

"It’s nothing. I woke up and I didn't see you two. Jessica's sword wasn't around so I thought something happened." She replied. She saw Jessica's head return to its original position. She was focused on Jessica that she didn't see Yuri flinch. Jessica stood up, which made Tiffany and Yuri to look at her.

"I'm going for a walk." Jessica started walking.

"In this time of day? It’s colder than yesterday. Bring a coat." Yuri advised.

"I'm fine. It’s almost winter but it’s not that cold yet. A little walk won't hurt me." Yuri wanted to remind Jessica about the incident this morning but she decided against it.

"I'll come with you." Tiffany spoke up and followed Jessica. Yuri sighed.

"Wait for a bit... Give me a few minutes before you go two go for that walk." Tiffany and Jessica stopped and sat down on the stairs.

 

Yoona's room

Yoona was up and ready. She was feeling happy and bubbly, still affected by the other night's event. She touched her cheek and smiled. She was busy yesterday but she would spend the night playing the flute for Yuri. She cared for Yuri very much so she tried to make time for her. She headed out and was about to start her patrols when she saw Yuri approaching her. She smiled but it was quickly gone when she saw the sadness in Yuri's eyes.

"What's wrong?" Yuri didn't say anything. Yoona looked down, her face marked with sorrow.

"When are you leaving?" Yuri didn't answer again. Yoona could feel tears threatening to fall. She looked at Yuri while the girl just continued to look down. Yuri looked up at the sky. Yoona just watched her.

"Will I see you again?" Yoona asked, hoping to hear her voice again. Her back was now leaning on a pillar. Yuri faced her and looked at Yoona.

They stared at each other's eyes for a while. Yoona saw tears about to fall in Yuri's face. She was about to say something when she felt lips on hers. It was then that tears finally fell from her eyes. She closed her eyes and Yuri pulled away a second later. Somehow, she saw Yuri nod.

"I love you, my Yoona." Yuri turned around and walked away. Yoona stood there, feeling many emotions, tears now running down. She fell on the ground, now in a sitting position. Her heart ached badly, as if it was breaking. She cried softly. Despite that, there was still hope in her heart. This was seen by a blonde girl, her eyes feeling the emptiness of the scene.

 

On the court

Tiffany was waiting for Yuri. Jessica left for a bit but came back right away. Outside, Jessica looks emotionless as usual but Tiffany could see something. Even though it was just a split second, but when Jessica came back, she thought she saw melancholy deeply placed in her eyes. She wanted to ask but Yuri came. Yuri's feelings were more noticeable because it wasn't usual for her.

"Let's go." The three started walking. After walking for a bit, they were out of the palace. After walking for a long while, it was then that Tiffany realized that this walk was headed to the forest. The two stopped in front the East entrance.

"What's going on?" Tiffany asked anxiously. Yuri looked at the both of them before walking away. She didn't go in the forest but she was away. She jumped high and settled herself on top of a tree. She was alone with Jessica.

 

"What's going on, Jessi?" Tiffany asked again. Jessica sighed.

"I brought you out of the forest. I'm going back." Tiffany didn't understand why her chest felt like it was suddenly pierced.

"Is that it? There is more to it, right?" Jessica didn't look at her.

"Jessi... Please look at me." Tiffany pleaded. She saw Jessica flinch a bit at her given nickname but still didn't look. Tiffany could feel tightening in her chest.

"I didn't plan on staying with you. Once you got out the forest, I was done." There was a hint of brokenness with the words. But Tiffany didn't notice this because of the pain she's feeling. She closed her eyes.

"Then, why didn't you tell me right away and leave?" Jessica finally looked at her and immediately regretted it. She could see the tears flowing, Tiffany's eyes closed. Jessica embraced her. Tiffany didn't pull away. She could feel Jessica's heartbeat. Her eyes widened. She looked at Jessica and was shocked. Jessica looked really dejected. Her whole feature showed all of her emotions. Jessica holds her tighter.

"It’s because I didn't want to. I don't want to leave you." Tiffany cried in her embrace.

"Can you stay?" She asked, fearing the answer. When Jessica didn't answer, she felt despair. Jessica pulled away and kissed Tiffany's forehead.

"I'm going alone... Don't wait." Jessica lengthened their distance; Tiffany was holding onto her. She was crying, wiping them once in a while so she could see the other girl's face. She reluctantly let go, feeling her finger slip from the fabric.

"Can't I come with you?" She asked, still finding a way. As if on cue, Yuri returned. Jessica looked at her. She stepped closer to Tiffany and reached for her side. Tiffany looked down as she felt her sword taken away. Jessica held it tightly in her right hand. She used her other hand and reached in her clothes. Yuri's eyes widened.

"We didn't agree on this!" Yuri was about to defend herself but Jessica was swift. She felt Jessica hit her right arm with a seal. The pentagram seal mark drew itself on her arm. With one last look at Tiffany, Jessica stepped back and was gone. Shocking Tiffany at her sudden disappearance, Tiffany bolted for the entrance. She didn't care if she got trapped again but she was pushed away by a barrier.

"That pabo..." Yuri said before looking at Tiffany. She was heart broken when she looked at Tiffany. Tiffany dropped on the ground, crying heavily.

"Jessi... Jessica..." Yuri crouched down and comforted her. As if time went by really fast, it was already sun down. Tiffany fell asleep from crying and Yuri looked at her worriedly. Yuri heard footsteps. She looked up to see two females.

"Tiffany/Unnie..." Both said.

 

(A/N: Hey guys! First of all, thanks for the new subscribers and comments too. The chapter might seem a bit rushed so I'm not very content with the chapter but it is going pretty well. It’s long, too. There was drama on this one, right? How was it? I personally don't like drama but they just make the story so good! Anyway, I’m not sure if I would try to write another story. I might after this one. What do you guys think? That's all for now. See you guys in the next chapter. ^-^v )