Chapter 8: The first day of the search

Forest of Shadows

Early Morning

It was a bright morning. The sun was up, shining, smiling at them. The weather was colder than usual. It seems that it will snow soon. They were dressed warmly but unarmed. Only one of them, Yoona, had an actual sword because the others didn't have a sword that can kill their opponents. Yuri told them that the minute they enter the forest, they will stop by Jessica's house to get the weapons. Everyone was warm and ready to go. Well, almost everyone. It seems that one of the princesses wasn't in her room. The East princess wasn't up yet either. The ones in the court (Tiffany, Krystal, Yuri, Yoona, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, and Seohyun) were starting to get impatient. Sooyoung was pacing back and forth, clearly was really tired of waiting. Sunny wasn't up yet and Taeyeon was nowhere to be found.

"Ah... Where are Sunny and Taeyeon? We planned to go once the sun rises. Why aren't they here yet?" Sooyoung complained.

"I'm sure they'll be up soon, Unnies. We can still wait for a bit." Seohyun said nervously. Even though she was starting to feel tired of waiting as well, she had a feeling that if she waited long enough, the two will come out soon. Yuri looked impatient too. Suddenly, she sensed something and smiled. She placed her hand to cover . Her shoulders were shaking as she turned. Yoona noticed this.

"What's the matter?" Yuri just shook her head. Then a loud voice was heard.

"Ya! Kim Taeyeon! What are you doing in my bed?" There was silence.

"What are you- Ah! Byuntae!" There was a loud thwack that echoed through the whole court. Finally, Yuri couldn't hold it any longer and laughed loudly. The others started to chuckle and laugh as well. They saw some attendants pass by but were going away from the source of the noise. Tiffany and Krystal looked at each other confusingly. Hyoyeon noticed the look between the two.

"When we were kids, this happens almost every day. That's why the attendants don't mind." She explained. In a few minutes, both were spotted going near the group. Both had very interesting faces. Taeyeon had a dorky smile on her face, her hands on her side, and a very noticeable, bright, red hand print on her face. There seemed to be a small bump on her head. Sunny, on the other hand, had a very red face and her arms were crossed. On her face was a glare she could muster that said, 'Don't ask.'

 

Earlier in Sunny's room

Sunny was sleeping soundly. It became unexpectedly cold last night so she snuggled deep in her blankets. She was in deep sleep that she didn't notice the door open and slid back. Taeyeon walked silently and carefully in the room. She saw Sunny was still sleeping. Earlier, she decided that she would wake Sunny up. She smiled at the peaceful expression on the girl's face. She sat beside the bed. Her hand reached out to run her fingers in the girl's hair when she spoke.

"Taeyeon..." She blushed at this and pulled her hand away. Her heart was beating wildly. She couldn't contain the smile on her face.

"Sunny..." She decided to just lay for a bit. Since she still planned on waking the girl up, she made sure that her hands were cold before she lay beside Sunny under the blankets. She whispered an apology. Even though she said sorry, she still wanted to have a little fun.

"Sunny..." She called out. The girl didn't seem to hear. Taeyeon frowned.

"Sunny." She tried again. This time the girl seemed to stir. Taeyeon smiled. Sunny turned to her and her eyes opened. Her expression was peaceful at first.

"Good morning Taeyeon."

"Good morning Sunny."

"..." Taeyeon saw Sunny's eyes widen. She was now sitting up. Then she shouted loudly.

"Ya! Kim Taeyeon! What are you doing in my bed?" Taeyeon smirked at the girl's loudness. It's been years since she last heard that. She gave an evil look at the girl. Sunny became worried. Taeyeon slipped her cold hands and touched the girl's leg.

"What are you- Ah! Byuntae!" Sunny shrieked at the contact and brought her hand on the girl's face. The contact produced a loud thwack. Taeyeon looked shocked for a bit until she laughed. She didn't laugh because she was starting to go crazy; she was happy to see a huge blush on Sunny's face. Sunny hurriedly got up and dressed. Taeyeon, seeing as Sunny was almost done getting dressed, got up and left the room smiling. In a few steps, Sunny came out and hit the girl on the head. They got to the court and saw the others. Taeyeon was very overjoyed while Sunny was still embarrassed from the contact

 

Back to the Present

 

"Ok. Now everyone is here, let's go." Yuri, who had just recovered, started walking. Sunny and Taeyeon were still quiet. Taeyeon was still smiling but it looks like Sunny was better. Yoona walked beside Yuri, their hands holding. Tiffany and Krystal were mentally preparing themselves for the battle. Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, and Seohyun were walking behind the group. It seemed that they were in charge of guarding the back. House by house and soon trees by trees passed by. They were now in front of the East entrance.

"We're here. Stand back." Yuri, who was in her human form to conserve her energy, started muttering spells. The others didn't understand them. A few seconds later, there was an opening forming on the forest. She motioned for Yoona to go first so she could check if the area was clear. Yoona was smiling as she jumped in. She was thinking of the first time she met Yuri personally. Then, one by one the others jumped in. Yuri was last. When she finally jumped in, her real form manifested itself. Her tails appeared behind her and her eyes were now ocean blue at both color and depth. The others looked at her in awe.

"Wow..." All of them thought. Yoona was still in awe despite the fact that she has seen Yuri in this form. Yuri just smiled at them. They walked a bit until Yuri made a signal.

"Wait..." Yuri said. The others stopped and looked around cautiously. Yuri knows something was up.

"Shoot... Everyone behind me, quick!" They didn't waste any minute as the shadows started appearing. Yuri swiped her hands on the air and a sword solidified from the wind. It was long and sharp. She held it tightly and she gave a wide swing. The wind cut through the shadows and cleared the way. Unfortunately, two shadows arrived after the attack. Yuri was about to swing again but felt a magical presence. She turned her attention to the source and was shocked to find Sunny with a small magic circle in front of her hands and a staff before her. Orbs of light appeared and shot the two shadows. Everyone looked at Sunny. Taeyeon, who was beside Sunny, couldn't say anything. She was shocked. Sunny sighed and took the staff out of the ground.

"That was close..." She said. Yuri recovered right away and nodded. The others were still shocked and when they snapped out of their dazes, they started asking and commenting.

"Where did you learn to do that?"

"You have a staff!"

"She shoots those creatures with light and that's what you noticed?"

"What was that?"

"Unnie, how did you do that?" Sunny couldn't answer at their questions at the same time. Taeyeon didn't say anything. Once the outbursts subsided, they walked again.

"Sunny. You were born here, aren't you?" Yuri wanted to confirm. It was impossible for a mortal to conduct a spell like that unless they have a magical background. Sunny shook her head.

"I wasn't. My grandfather was. He taught me when I was young."

"Your grandfather?"

"Yeah. He was a mage." Sunny noticed that Yuri was eyeing every tree.

"Um. Yuri, what are you looking for?"

"Hm? Oh, I noticed the attack of the shadows a while ago. This place is supposed to be off-limits but it seems that they were directed to this path to keep us busy. Looks like Jessica saw my seal removal ritual yesterday and she planned ahead." Tiffany knows that Jessica didn't want them to interfere. But she just couldn't let Jessica decide this on her own. After all, this concerns her too. They continued to walk towards Jessica's house. They encountered many shadows and Yuri, Yoona, and Sunny would alternate in facing the shadows. At last, they arrived in front of the house.

"This is it. Welcome to Jessica's house." Yuri said. Tiffany hurried inside, hoping that the girl was there. She was a little disappointed to see no one there but she knows that the girl was there. It seems that the girl must've forgotten to hide her clothes. The black clothes were on the floor in her room. She picked them up and searched the room. On her first visit, she looked through the girl's wardrobe. When she didn't find a complete set, she knows that the girl wore blue today. She sat down. Yuri went in.

"The others are waiting outside. Do you want to stay here for a bit? The others could train. And here." Yuri tossed a sword. Tiffany looked at it.

"This is..."

"It's one of the swords in the storage. This can wound the shadows but that's all they are good for. Looks like Jessica have your sword with her." Tiffany held the sword tightly. Yuri looked around.

"Looks like she was here last night." Tiffany nodded.

"She's wearing her blue hanbok today. It’s missing from her closet." Yuri smiled at that.

"Good. Now we know what to look for. She might stop here tonight so we'll try to keep it down."

"How would you know that?"

"She might be smart but when she's tired, she always comes home." Yuri was about to step out when Tiffany called out.

"Yuri. The book said that guardians will vanish after their seals are broken." Yuri kept silent.

"You have a gumiho's spirit, right? It said that you'll vanish after two days." Yuri gave her a smile.

"Yes? What about it?"

"Does Yoona know about it?"

"Rest for now. You will need it later." The question was unanswered but Tiffany already knew the answer.

Outside

They were testing out the swords. Krystal was training with Yoona and Seohyun. They were trying to determine each other's weaknesses. So far, each of them was able to deflect any incoming attack. Seohyun's strength was her fast ability to determine the offense. Yoona's strength was deflecting while Krystal's was offense. They experimented on different attacks and they caught each other off guard sometimes. On the other five's training, the three lieutenants were swinging their swords. They were trying to get use to handling it. They swing the swords at each other and measured the weight the blade adds to their attacks. On the other hand, Taeyeon was going under a different training. Somehow, she managed to convince Sunny to try elemental attacks. She used the sword that they found and was successful at deviating them. Sunny couldn't believe that Taeyeon was able to do so. When she trained in the East palace, not anyone, not even her father was able to divert the attacks. With a depthless amusement, the others smiled at each other. They started going against Sunny all together. This shocked her.

"What are you guys thinking?" Sunny stopped throwing orbs.

"Oh come on, Sunny. It could help us, too."

"Yeah! Don't tell me you only want to train Taeyeon." Sooyoung teased. Sunny didn't have the time to reply when Hyoyeon added.

"That's right. Which reminds me... What happened in your room this morning?" Sunny froze for a moment, probably had a flashback. She shook her head and frowned at them. They all had a feeling that they were all in trouble. Sunny started throwing orbs of different elements at them. Not all were as strong as the light orbs but they did sting a bit. All halted when they heard Yuri come out. They all looked at Yuri.

"Great. I told you guys to keep it down just in case Jessica comes. Besides, Tiffany is resting inside." The minute Yuri said so, Tiffany came out.

"I'm feeling fine. I'll stay here outside. Its still noon. I can't turn in yet." She watched as the others continued their practices. Time passed by quickly but it seems like Jessica didn't come back.

Krystal was trying to focus on their spars when she saw something from the corner of her eyes. It was an insect. A butterfly. She stood still and almost didn't block the incoming attack. Good thing, Yoona was paying attention. She immediately stopped and this got Krystal's attention.

"What's the matter? Oh. It's a butterfly." Krystal continued to look around. She didn't see anyone.

Tiffany was sitting down on the house's outer wooden floor. She heard something. She looked up and saw a familiar figure on top of the tree's branch.

"Jessica!" Tiffany shouted and bolted towards a direction. Yuri quickly whipped towards Tiffany.

"Tiffany! Wait. That's not-" Tiffany was gone.

"Shoot! Guys, come on. Looks like we have to go and search for Tiffany. She didn't bring her sword

 We'll split up. Sunny, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, and Seohyun. You guys stay here and guard. Yoona, Krystal, and Taeyeon. Come with me." They dispersed in the darkness.

 

Meanwhile, somewhere in the forest

 

Tiffany was running. She kept looking around, and then taking another route. She climbed up and slid down whenever she had to. She would see a shadow jumping from branch to branch.

"Wait!" She shouted. It seemed that she was running around because of the same tree pattern but she only got deeper in the forest. She was tired of running so she stopped. It was then did she realize that she forgot the sword. The only thing she could do will be to outrun them. Unfortunately, she won't be able to unless she catches her breath.

A figure watched her, hidden at the top of the trees. The figure didn't move. She just stood still, not wanting to reveal who she is. It was Jessica but Tiffany didn't know that. Jessica was amazed that the girl followed her. But her amusement turned into fear when she saw shadow creatures sneaking behind the girl. She decided to stay hidden and if needed, she will jump in and save the girl.

Tiffany noticed the silence in the forest. She could pick up some sounds. Yuri and the others were near. Then, she turned and saw a group of shadows. She quickly dodged its first attack but she stumbled backwards. She fell on the ground. The shadow stood in front of her and raised its arm. She didn't notice a light that shined from within her clothes. Tiffany closed her eyes.

Nothing.

She opened her eyes to see a familiar figure in front of her that blocked the attack.

"Jessica..." The girl looked back at her and gave her a smile.

"Hey, Tiffany." Jessica quickly finished the shadows as Tiffany watched from a distance behind her. When the fight was over, Jessica stood still and looked back at Tiffany.

"Tiffany..." She called out. Tiffany slowly got up. She ran towards Jessica to embrace her.

"Jessi..." As soon as Tiffany calls out, Yuri and the others came. They were shocked to see Jessica there but Yuri knew better. She listened. Krystal wanted to call out but she was shocked to see her sister.

"Tiffany..." Jessica called again. When Tiffany was about to hold the girl, she vanished, replaced by a piece of paper. Yuri looked at her sadly as Tiffany fell on the ground. She approached her and crouched down. Tiffany took hold of the paper. It was the blank paper she wrote on a while ago. The one that Jessica said was a talisman. On the paper was Jessica's name. She held the paper to her chest. She sobbed. Yuri placed a hand on the girl's shoulder.

"I know you miss her. We'll find her soon." Tiffany stood up and wiped her tears.

"I know she was there. She was watching us. I followed her here. And I'll find her." She said strongly. Tiffany nodded at Krystal. Krystal smiled despite her sadness. They both knew they will meet Jessica again. They went back.

Jessica was still on the same branch she was on when Tiffany stopped. She saw and heard everything until they left. Her chest ached and she exhales heavily as if she held her breath for a long time. There was a sharp pain that ran through her right arm. She clenched her teeth to not make any noise. It felt like it was being stabbed and was being constricted. She tore off the sleeves of her right arm. She inspected her arm. The lines were past the middle of her arm. The lines looked like they were pulsating. It drew itself longer and soon, it went all over her whole arm. The pain was gone for a while. She sighed. She stood up. She only has a day before the full moon. She left the tree in search of the heart of the forest.

 

Tiffany was back with the group on Jessica's house. Yuri went inside and came out with a sword. She threw it to Tiffany, who caught it with skill.

"Here. Don't forget it." Yuri turned to everyone.

"Are you guys ready?" Everyone nodded but Tiffany was confused.

"Ready for what?" She saw Yuri smirk.

"We're going Jessica hunting." The others chuckled at the joke and soon, they separated. Since everyone was now armed, it would be safe to split up and look for Jessica. Krystal was with Tiffany, Yuri with Yoona, Sunny with Taeyeon, and the three lieutenants grouped together. They decided that they would send out a signal if they want to meet up. But they didn't know how to. Luckily, as if on cue, Jae Shin appeared and landed on Yoona's shoulder. The hawk showed a piece of metal that it found. But they didn't know what it meant. Fortunately, Seohyun recognized the familiar glint the metal showed. She proposed that they shine their swords. When Jae Shin sees it, it'll make a really loud noise and they will have to follow it to the meeting place. They agreed and they split.

Tiffany and Krystal were walking along together. They were both cautious to their surroundings. When shadows appeared, they would strike at it like they would as if they were in duty. Sometimes, Krystal would use her freezing ability and she would be faced with frozen shadows. They both looked at it and would smile at their teamwork. They shattered the ice so that the shadows would not come back. They continued to walk.

Yuri and Yoona had it a bit more difficult. There were more shadows at the area they decided to explore. Yuri's attack swiped groups of shadows while Yoona easily cleared the ones attacking them from behind. Yuri would transform from her guardian form to her human form now and then. They continued to walk around, clearing the whole area of shadows. They were starting to worry since the numbers didn't seem to disappear.

Sunny and Taeyeon were average. The area they decided to explore wasn't bombarded with shadows but it didn't lack either. Every once in a while Sunny would use her powers but she was getting tired. For her to suddenly use them after also long years of not even summoning a spell took tolls on her. Taeyeon would worry but didn't show it. Instead, she would fight harder for the mage.

The three lieutenants were luckier than the others. They encountered less of the shadows in that area. It was probably because it was near Yuri's home. Yuri told them that Jessica would try and look for the entrance to the forest's heart so it would mean that she has to search all of the forest. Just in case Jessica will decide to go there, they were ready. Unlike the other groups, they brought ropes with them. It might not be very effective on Jessica but it will slow her down.

However, they weren't successful that night. It seemed that Jessica was able to elude them. When they thought they spotted her, a shadow would appear. That night they returned to the house, exhausted. Yuri, who was unaffected by fatigue, told all of them to get some rest while she looked out. She settled on the roof of the house while the others went in. Yoona stayed for a while before she fell asleep and Yuri had to bring her in. The night ended.

 

The next morning

It was suppose to be bright because the sun was up but the forest seemed darker than usual. Tomorrow was the day of the full moon. The forest itself knew what was bound to happen. Everyone was still sleeping, their energy almost complete. Yuri was in her human form with her tails concealed. She was sitting on the wooden floor outside the house.

The door slid open. Yuri looked behind her and there was Yoona. Yuri smiled at Yoona as the girl sat beside her. Yoona held her hand and Yuri laid her head on Yoona's shoulder.

"I read the book. The others showed it to me."

"Did you read all of it?" Yoona shook her head.

"I stopped reading when I read about your limit. Why didn't you tell me that opening your seals would make me lose you?" They remained in that position as they spoke to each other. Yuri could sense the sadness Yoona was feeling. It was the same one she had felt when she was bidding goodbye.

"It’s because... I want to come back. I will come back. I don't know when but I promise that I'll come back to you. So I ask of you... Would you wait for me?" After Yuri said this, she looked at Yoona straight in the eyes. Yoona's eyes softened as she saw the emotions that ran through Yuri's eyes. She slowly nodded. Yuri smiled and hugged the girl. They heard footsteps hurrying towards them. They eyed the door and as it slid open, it revealed a tired Tiffany.

"I know where she is! We have to hurry up." The others followed after Tiffany and Yuri was shocked.

"You know where she is?"

"Yes. I remembered an old dream and in that, I saw a creek. It was a creek or lake near a waterfall. There was also a cliff. I can't remember what happened but I'm guessing that it’s the entrance to the heart. I saw Jessica there in my dream. She should be headed there by now." They all assembled and Jae Shin flew up high to the location.

"Tiffany. You must go ahead. We'll surround the area just in case Jessica sees you and tries to run off." Tiffany nodded and headed to the place in her dreams. The others dispatched and separated.

 

(A/N: Hi guys. I couldn't resist in including the first part. It just seems so plausible. Anyway, I don't know if you guys like this update. I know this chapter is supposed to be the big part but the fights might happen on the next one. Sorry about that, if I raised your hopes guys. I personally want to thank Saisairee because she was the only one who commented on last week's update. Thank you very much! If there is something you want, just ask. I'm not sure if I can grant it but I'll try to if possible.

 I have a question for all my readers. What is the special part on this chapter? Do you know where I got the idea? Credits to the source. The deadline is next week when I update the next chapter.

Next chapter might be the second to the last chapter. I am probably just doing ten chapters for this story. Two more weeks and it’s done. I’ll try to do better on the next one. See you guys next week. ^-^v)