Chapter 4: Meeting and Encounters

Forest of Shadows

In the forest

It was the crack of dawn. Both Jessica and Tiffany were already dressed and armed. While Tiffany was waiting outside, Jessica was checking the door, placing locks on the possible entrances. She placed a talisman on the door.

"What will that do?" Tiffany asked, seemingly not confident about the protection.

"It's just an illusion. You write things on this and they will come out if you use them. Very good for guarding a house. If any of those things try to get in this house, this will be activated." Jessica showed paper talismans to Tiffany. She took an empty sheet and handed it to the girl.

"Here."

"It won't hurt to have one, I guess." Tiffany accepted it, even though there was doubt that she'll use them. She was never one to try and use magic or whatever this was. She learned to rely on her instincts and skills, which was why she was known for giving more effort than anyone else in the country.

As they walked, they encountered shadows and other creatures. Since Jessica was in top shape, she easily sliced through them. Tiffany, on the other hand, wasn't used to handling these kinds of creatures. Even though she was unscathed, her stamina was easily exhausted from blocking fast and unexpected attacks. Jessica noticed this but shrugged it off at the beginning, thinking that once Tiffany was out of the forest, she won't come back. However, as they progress, Jessica knew that Tiffany was starting to exhaust herself, pushing herself very hard that she's almost to her limit. And that will enable the possibility of being hurt in battle.

"Your sword is a bit more different now. The hilt is thinner and the blade is stronger but because I used both steel and silver to reinforce it, it’s a bit heavier than before. To get a better grip, hold the pommel with one hand and the part near the guard with the other. I can see that you are still holding it right on the grip but this isn't your old sword. It's not wrong but it will take time to get used to." Tiffany looked at Jessica as the other walked off. She smiled, seeing as the other girl cared no matter how cold she looks and acts. She held the sword as told and was surprised to find it better to control. It was only then did she realize the difference in weight of the different grips.

More shadows came and attacked them. Tiffany was getting better and was able to deflect their attacks. Since she wasn't slowed down like before, she had enough time to decipher the movements and predict the offenses. They had encountered a lot of shadows and the numbers don't seem to go down at any rate. Tiffany thought that this was normal but Jessica begs to differ. She has been living in this place for a long time and she knows that the shadows have frighteningly increased in number. She didn't want to visit but she had no choice. She groaned in frustration, unconsciously. Tiffany noticed this.

"What's wrong?"

"We have to stop at a friend of mine first before I can take you out. Just so you know, we're not going out the entrance; we're going to the exit." Tiffany just nodded, strangely knowing that Jessica won't delay it unless there was something more important. Even if she doesn't know why, she had a feeling it was crucial. Jessica, noticing that Tiffany didn't even question her decision, wondered about this. It worried her.

"I can't help you out alone. It's easier and faster for me if she helped us." Jessica explained. But it wasn't the complete truth. It wasn't really a lie either but she doesn't want Tiffany to be more involved than she already is. Tiffany, after hearing this, was just happy. In her thoughts, she was overjoyed that the girl was telling her these things even if vague. This meant there was trust.

 

In the Kim Palace

Taeyeon was walking around the palace, alone. She was just thinking, saying stuff to herself. It was an attempt to clear her mind and this helped when you are worried about a lot of things. She talked out loud, voicing her thoughts.

"Why is it that there's no word about them yet? It’s been two days already... No don't worry about it. They will be safe. They are going to be safe." she repeated. More incoherent thought and words came after this. There was a vague picture in her memory as she sat down near the stairs. She recently unearthed it when she dreamt that very morning. It was a dark tunnel and she could see that it goes a long way. At the end was a light. It was so bright, like as if the sun was shining directly over the exit. She sighs. She can't remember where she had seen it. She hurried to her room.

She opened the drawers when she got there. She saw paperwork, her books, and maps. She took each and every map she could find. She found two maps they made of the constructions in the town. She inspected every line indicating anything about tunnels but she couldn't find any. That is, until she looked and compared both maps. There was something underneath the forest in one map that was not in the other. She frowned at her discovery. She was looking at a very old version of the town's map and there was nothing on the current map. The old map was clearly written by her. She decided to use the old map to look if it was just a fluke. No later did she set out and got her horse.

She was on her way to the stables when she saw her father.

"Good morning, Father." she greeted. Her father turned and saw her.

"Good morning, Taeyeon. Going out?" Taeyeon nodded.

"Come back safely, okay?" He hugged her first before walking on. Taeyeon got to her horse and decided not to take her horse for today. The other horse was taken out for a trip in a long while ever since she was young. The only reason it remained fit is that Taeyeon would set it free and play around if she wasn't busy. Often, she would let Tiffany or Krystal to take the horse for a walk. But she never let anyone ride on it. So she saddled it up and she knew it was excited. She smiled at her own and it just seemed to nod understandingly. She set off to the place of the map. In the map, she saw the exit went pass the forest, into the other kingdom.

She got to the point. She got down from her horse and walked closer to the said entrance. Memories flashed before her eyes.

"Oh! This is that tunnel... But why?" Her mind was filled with many questions yet again. The biggest being why didn't they used the tunnel to go to the other palace. Why did they have to ask for Jessica's assistance to cross? Why did her father turn to Jessica for help? She silently pondered those questions as she went in the tunnel. It still looks the same despite all the years that have passed. She could still remember the marks she and Sunny did on the torches. She smiled at the memory. She couldn't fathom why she forgot about some of it but she shrugged it off, happy that some memories are resurfacing themselves. In not a minute to lose did she rode back to the palace so she could ask her father some questions.

On her way, she saw Krystal and it looks like she had just caught the thieves of the day. She was showing the royal seal over to some people who were on the ground, again completely unarmed. She saw the other soldiers coming in and taking the people away. She got closer to them.

"Looks like you're doing just fine, Krystal." She saw Krystal look back, smile at her and bowed.

"Good morning, Princess Taeyeon." Even though Taeyeon didn't like being addressed formally, she understood that outside the palace, both of them had to keep it professional.

"So, how's the newbie?" She asked the First Lieutenant. She was curious about the new guard as Krystal's partner. Seeing as her father positioned a new but aspiring soldier, she was still curious about how her performance had been.

"She had done a fairly good job. She seems clumsy at first but she's getting the hang of it." They were both looking at a tall girl who was talking with some of the other guards. She was getting along with them quite well.

"She has potential. That's probably why the king chose her. And placing her under you would improve her abilities." Taeyeon said. Krystal just nodded.

"They should be on their way now. When I receive word, I'll tell you right away so you could come with me and meet them." Taeyeon could see the brightness in Krystal's eyes when she said so. Soon, Taeyeon left and went back to the palace.

 

In the East Palace

"Okay. That should do it." Yoona said as she was packing some stuff with Sunny on her horse. In her satchel were some tools and some wood. Although she wasn't ordered to, she wanted to repair the entrance to the tunnel. That's probably why Sunny was helping her pack. The door was dusty and needed cleaning; some of the boards have weathered and were due for maintaining. Also, she just probably wanted to do something while waiting near the forest east entrance, also serve as the east exit.

"Yoona, don't forget to bring an extra horse. They might be tired from walking a while." Sunny reminded. Yoona went back into the stables and fetch another horse, on her face was a nervous grin.

"Thanks, Sunny unnie. I almost forgot." Sunny just laughed at her attitude and placed the saddle, reins, and others to tack up the horse. The hawk perched on Yoona's shoulder. After that, Yoona was ready to go.

"You're set to go. Don't forget to check on the horses when you're fixing the boards." With that, Yoona got on the horse, took the other's reins, and left for the forest entrance.

She stopped soon and got down. She secured both the horses reins and got all the tools out. She placed all the tools and wood near a block of stone. She started taking some of the old boards out and placing the new boards in. She even replaced the handles that were rusted and were falling off with new ones. Only hammering sounds were heard. The hawk was with the horses, waiting for any sign of movement from anywhere. One board after another, then nail and hammer. It was finished right away. She smiled at a job well done and sat down on the ground. She took all the tools and the leftovers back to her satchel. She took out what seemed like a large piece of cloth and a book. She laid the cloth on the ground and placed the book to one side. She moved the horses near a small pool just in case the horses get thirsty, which was only a couple of yards away. She sat down on the cloth, which was right next to the entrance of the forest. She started reading the book.

 

In the forest

Jessica and Tiffany were still walking towards an unknown road. The trees' growth density was more noticeable now. Making their way through, Tiffany noticed that they hadn't encountered any shadows in a while. Ever since they made it near the dense overgrowth, did all the shadows just vanish? She didn't even see one lurking around. The atmosphere seemed almost peaceful.

"Jessica. Why haven't we seen any shadows around?" She saw the girl smirk.

"Why? Do you miss them?"

"..."

"..."

Tiffany couldn't believe her ears. This girl had actually made a joke. (Readers:Ya! Authorssi~ why did you place your lame jokes on Jessica? Author: sorry sorry. I'm not good with jokes.) Jessica, sensing the silence, looked back and grinned. She chuckled silently.

"They don't come here. This is a place they could never go in." Jessica continued making her way under, over, and through the trees. Soon, Tiffany noticed that the road they took was clearing. She saw Jessica stop in front and used her hand to move away the branches, giving her a view of bright rays. It was what looked like another large house. There was a gigantic tree beside it and it was not just an ordinary tree. It was a tree house and seeing as the tree was gigantic, it was big as well. Tiffany was amazed at the view.

"Go on. We're going to that place." Jessica said as she let Tiffany go first and followed behind. It had a tranquil sense into it and it was one of the brightest areas in the forest that Tiffany had ever seen. The place was at its cleanest as a forest could be. Tiffany looked around. There were no shadows but many bright creatures.

"What are they?" Tiffany asked Jessica.

"They are the creatures that guard the forest. They are the ones that haven't turned into shadows yet. They don't really have any names so I don't know what to call them. But they're not the ones we're here for." No sooner did Jessica say this did an unknown entity came running towards her. Tiffany could hear the stranger's excited voice

"Jessica!" Tiffany saw Jessica step aside as the stranger came in range. The stranger fell to the ground, face flat. There was silence and then obviously fake sniffles.

"Jessica... You're so mean. I haven't seen you for a long while and you don't even let me hug you." the stranger said. Jessica sighed.

"You saw me a few days earlier. Don't kid with me." Tiffany saw the stranger got up and smile at Jessica.

"Oh, come on. Don't be so cold." The stranger looked at Tiffany and noticed the confusion in her face.

"Hello, I'm the forest's guardian, Black Pearl, Kwon Yuri. Nice to meet you." Yuri smiled and shook hands with Tiffany.

"I'm Captain Tiffany Hwang of the Kim Palace. Nice to meet you too." Tiffany didn't notice Jessica smile but Yuri did.

"So, what brings you guys in this side of the forest?"

"I- we need you to help us get her out of the forest." Yuri looked at Jessica.

"What?" Yuri just continued to look at her and this was unleashing another side of her.

"Oh. But you don't need me for that though. You could do it on your own."

"It's just easier, okay? And faster, too. So just do it!" That done it. Tiffany was sure she could see a dark aura around Jessica. Yuri placed her hand on Tiffany's shoulder which caused the girl to look at her.

"Don't worry about it. That's just harmless Hellsica. That's all." Tiffany didn't know if she should continue to worry because Yuri was hiding behind her back. Jessica looked away, clearly trying to calm her anger. Tiffany couldn't help but giggle at the interaction and reactions Jessica was showing. A couple of minutes later, Yuri spoke up.

"Okay. I'll help you but you have to do something for me." Jessica eyed her warily.

"What do you want?"

"Let's talk about it inside while I make you guys a cup of tea." Although Jessica was reluctant to go in, she still followed Yuri in the tree house. Tiffany followed after Yuri while Jessica lagged behind them. They went inside and the two sat down as the forest guardian started preparing the tea. It was ready.

"Okay. Here's my part of the bargain... I want to go out the forest." Yuri finished her small part.

"What?" Yuri looked like she was pleading already.

"Please! I want to go out the forest. I have never been outside so please. Take me with you guys!"  She begged again.

"No." Tiffany looked at Jessica incredulously. Yuri just continued to look at Jessica. Silence engulfed the house.

"Silence isn't going to kill me." There was more silence.

"But why?" This shocked Jessica because both Tiffany and Yuri asked at the same time, also coming closer to her. She sighed.

"Yuri, you know why you can't do that. No one will be here. Work will pile up and you know that there's something going on in this forest."

"Oh. So that's why you're here. Okay. How about this... I'll tell you about that if you let me come with you." Jessica was about to say another no but a frown from Tiffany said otherwise. She realized that the longer she says no, increasingly will the possibility be that Tiffany will be more involved. She would ask questions and this would reveal more.

"Fine! Go ahead. I'll let you handle the trouble alone." Yuri started jumping up and down, clearly overjoyed. Tiffany was just happy that Yuri gets to come with them. She felt sad when she found out that Yuri hasn't gone out of the forest. Even if the world was not perfect, everyone should have the experience of living in it.

"So, when are you guys going?"

"We are going right now. Let's go." Jessica left the tree house right away. There was only a smile on both Tiffany and Yuri's faces. But Tiffany had many questions.

"Are you going to explain everything?" She asked the forest guardian.

"As much as I would want to, I can see that Jessica doesn't want you involved. All I can tell you is the things in the forest." She paused then continued while preparing for the trip.

"The Forest of Shadows has been here for ages. The guardianship has been passed on to generation to generation from each member of the Kwon family. Once our time ends, another will take over. All those light creatures down there have lived and have protected the forest for a long time. This is my first time in a couple of decades. When my time is up, one of those creatures will take in a form of a human, like I am right now, and replace me. We don't die but we enter years of sleep in our forms. My form is more like a fox but bigger. Jessica isn't from here but she has one, too. She is a-"

"If you're going to take much longer, I'm leaving you both here and I'm going home." Jessica cut her off. Yuri was just fixing the last piece of garment.

"We're coming!" Yuri looked apologetically at Tiffany.

"I can tell you more next time but it looks like Jessica will leave without us. We better go." They hurried out and saw Jessica placing some talismans on the trees. She walked closer to an owl and held her arm for it to perch on. She muttered something to it and it glowed. It flew in the house. Soon, out came a child. He smiled and waved at them. Tiffany looked at the boy.

"Be back soon." He said.

"I'll be back." Yuri waved back.

"Jessica is also the one that chooses the next guardian for emergencies." Yuri explained to Tiffany. Tiffany nodded, thankful that Yuri is now here to explain things.

They walked off the opposite direction, moving towards a less crowded and clearer path. It seemed like it was still early because the sun was already up but it wasn't noon yet. The day was fair and was neither hot nor cold. As expected, they didn't encounter any shadows at that part of the forest. Tiffany noticed that they were walking off to what looked like a dead end and she smiled at that. That seemed kind of expected already, seeing is as this was a magical forest.

She sees Yuri step forward, under her a magic circle and shine. She shielded her eyes and was able to make out a new form. Instead of Yuri on the circle was a large fox. It had two tails. Its fur was white and on her side was a black spot. There was a jewel on its forehead and it glowed. Tiffany looked in awe and realization at the block spot.

"So that's why she was called the Black Pearl." Tiffany thought. Yuri looked ahead and closed her eyes. Soon, the jewel started glowing and a ray of light hit a multitude of trees. The light seemed to pave a way through it and made a bright portal. Tiffany saw Yuri look back at Jessica and saw Jessica nodded. The next thing she saw was that Jessica was already in front of Yuri, with Yuri no longer controlling the portal. It now seemed that Jessica was the one keeping the portal open. She saw Yuri return to her human form and was jumping up and down.

"Yes! It’s opened. I'll go ahead, okay?" Yuri ran off but Tiffany noticed a branch sticking up.

"Wait, Yuri ah." But it was too late. Yuri tripped as she entered the portal.

"Ah!"

Tiffany looked at Jessica and found her shaking her head. Jessica looked at her and motioned for her to go in. When Tiffany jumped in, a drop of blood fell on the ground. Jessica's scar was bleeding again and good thing the ribbon she always used was black and it hid everything. She kept the portal opened using her left arm and hand instead of the right, and then she jumped in. The portal closed after. And was she surprised to see Tiffany looking down at Yuri and someone on the ground.

 

Earlier on the other side

Yoona was near the end of the book. So far, it was really peaceful. She was sitting on the cloth with her back laying on a smooth bolder. The horses were okay, the hawk was just there flying around the horses before it perched on her head. Yoona was about to react to the hawk when the hawk suddenly flew up and was making sounds. Not a moment too soon was Yoona met with a girl she hadn't met before, the same face that appeared in her dreams. Yuri looked up to see why she wasn't hurt. She saw a girl, eyes as pretty as that of a doe's.

"You..." Yoona whispered.

 

(A/N: Hi guys! Just finished this chapter. I took a two-day rest since I was tired. Then, I got my flu shot so I couldn't move my arm at all. I looked like a robot, trying to type. Kekeke. I know I said I'll only update on weekends but I had anxiety when I didn't write at all. So, I'll only update when I can. Thanks for the comments and new subscribers again. I can't thank you enough so expect me to thank you guys every chapter. Even if it’s annoying, I really have to thank you guys. The story is progressing well. What do you guys think? I'll work on the next chapter when I can. ^-^v)