Chapter 8

In Love With My Best Friend's Brother [DISCONTINUED]

The weekend went by fast. Here I was, in science class waiting for the last bell to ring. Just 10 more seconds.

RING~

“Assa!” I got up walking towards Jinae. “Yah! I’m hungry.” I pouted.

“What do you want me to do about it?” Jinae laughed.

I shrugged. We walked to our lockers and got our things to bring home. As Jinae and I were walking out, a familiar voice called out for us.

“JINAE-YAH! MINJUNG-AH!” Barom yelled.

“Oh, oppa!” Jinae replied

“Let’s go to your house, Jinae, an
d order jjajangmyun!” he suggested with a smile.


“OH THANK GOODNESS!” I exclaimed.

Barom and Jinae laughed. We all walked to Barom’s car and got in. It took only a few minutes to get to Jinae’s house by car. When we got there, no one was home. I put my things in Jinae’s room and went to the living room. Barom started ordering.

“Hello? Ne. Can we have 3 jjajang-”

“MAKE THE 4!” Maru yelled as he got in.

“4 jjajangmyun please. Ne, ne, kamsahamnida!” Barom ordered.

As we waited for the food to arrive, we went to the basement and decided to watch a movie.

“What kind of movie do you guys want to watch?” Jinae questioned.

“I don’t care really, you pick.” I smiled.

Barom and Maru agreed. Jinae put in a dvd and it went straight to the main menu. To my surprise, it was a horror movie. I honestly cannot stand horror movies. Every time I do watch a horror movie, I never forget for the rest of the month or so. Leading me to not being able to sleep or staying home alone.

“Assa! It’s been a while since I’ve watched horror.” Barom smiled.

“Noona, why... why are we watching a scary movie?” Maru sutters.

“If you don’t want to, you can leave.” Jinae commented.

“Aniya! I was just asking. I call the couch!” Maru stated.

Maru took up almost the whole couch as he laid down while Jinae sat beside him at the end. I sat on the floor and Barom sat beside me. Jinae went to get some snacks and the official food for movies, popcorn. Once Jinae got back, we started the movie. From all 4 of us, I was the one that got frightened easily. I kept cover my eyes with my hands and I’d slightly scream when a scary part would come up. I started shaking from fear. I noticed Barom looking over.

“Minjung-ah. You okay?” Barom questioned.

“N-n-ne, o-oppa.” I stuttered.

He laughed quietly, “Come closer.”

I scooched closer to him; still trembling. He took a pillow from the couch and he put an arm around me. I tensed up. He started patting my shoulder softly trying to calm me down; which worked. Everytime a scary part would come up, Barom would bring the pillow up in front of my face so I wouldn’t see those “faces”. He felt like a big brother to me. Suddenly, Maru got up and walked out without saying a word. I called out for him but he didn’t reply. I looked up at Jinae making a face asking what’s wrong with him, but she shrugged like before.

“Aren’t you going to go check on him?” I questioned.

“Yeah, of course I will.” Jinae said sarcastically.

“I’ll go check on him then.” I suggested.

I got up and ran upstairs.

“Maru-yah!” I yelled out.

I searched everywhere in the house but he was nowhere. I noticed his shoes were missing.

“He must be outside.” I sighed to myself.

I put on my shoes and started walking around the neighbourhood. I was about to give up but I suddenly saw a hidden park just behind their house. I walked closer and found Maru on the swing.

“MARU-YAH!” I yelled.

He looked up from the ground and as he saw him, he looked away. I sat beside him on the other swing.

“Are you okay?” I questioned.

He didn’t reply; he kept his head down.

“YAH! LEE JAEJUN!” I yelled.

He looked up startled and took an earbud out.

“Wae?!” He asked wide-eyed.

“Waaaah! You were listening to music the whole time?” I questioned.

He nodded slowly.


MARU’S POV:

“Why did you leave?” Minjung asked.

Seeing Barom comforting Minjung hurt me so I left. I can’t tell Minjung that.

“Why do you want to know?” I questioned back trying to sound annoyed.

“Well, of course I’d want to know. Something might be bothering you.” she answered.

I scoffed, “Yeah, right. Not like you’d care.” I ended up mumbling.

“YAH! JAEJUN-AH!” she yelled which startled me. “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t care.” she replied softly.

“Jinjja?” I questioned.

“Eeey, fine. Don’t believe.” she replied.

She stood up ready to leave. She started to walk away but I held onto her hand before she could get away.

“D-don’t leave...” I stuttered.

She stopped in her steps and turned around. She made a face.

“Maru-yah...” She started. “Do you like me?”

I was taken aback. With my eyes wide open, I tried to answer but nothing came out. I could feel my cheeks turn red.

“Oh! You’re blushing.” she laughed.

“N-no, I’m not.” I replied.

“Yeah. Right.” she said sarcastically. “Come on, let’s go back home.”

I nodded and we walked back home.

END OF MARU’S POV

As we were walking back, I remembered something.

“Yah.. You still didn’t tell me why you left awhile ago, during the movie.” I stated.

I noticed him tense up.

“I just found the movie boring.” he answered through gritted teeth.

We reached his house in just a few minutes. To my surprise, Maru held the door open for me. As I walked in, I saw Barom and Jinae at the dining table.

“Maru-yah- “