Chapter 5

In Love With My Best Friend's Brother [DISCONTINUED]

It was a Friday afternoon and we got off school early.

“Wanna come over to my house today?” Jinae questioned.

“Sure. I have nothing else to do. Plus I don’t want to go straight home.” I laughed.

We got to her house in just a few minutes. When we got there, Maru wasn’t home yet. Their dad left and I was startled by a cute, 3 year old boy.

“Annyeong, noona!” he smiled cutely.

“Annyeong!” Jinae replied. “Ah, this is Jeongmin, our youngest sibling.” she smiled.

“Annyeong, Jeongminnie. I’m Minjung noona.” I waved.

He smiled brightly but didn’t talk because he became shy. Jinae put him to sleep as I waited in the living room. I listened to music as waited.

“Noona!” someone called.

I looked up and found Maru standing at the door way. Maru didn’t see me until he looked to the side.

“Oh! Minjung noona. I didn’t know you were here.” He smiled.

I smiled back, “Hi Maru.”

“How come you just got home now?” I questioned.

“I had volleyball practice.” He replied. “I’ll be back. I’m just going to change my clothes.”

I nodded as he went to his room and came back with clean clothes on. He sat beside on the smallest couch.

“So how was your day?” he asked.

“It was alright. Just boring.” I answered. “You?”

“It was alright too.” he replied. “I’m just really tired.”

I nodded. I was suddenly shocked when I felt a weight on my left shoulder. I looked down to find Maru’s head laying on my shoulder.

“Yah! What are you doing?”  I asked.

He didn’t answer; his eyes were closed already. I smiled. Jinae walked into the living room. Her eyes widened in shock. She ended up just giggling.

“Do you like...?” she pointed to Maru; whispering to make sure Maru wouldn’t wake up.

“You know I’m awake right?” Maru started speaking with his eyes still closed.

I was shocked and suddenly pushed his head off my shoulder without thinking, “Aniya! Me like Maru?! Yeah, right.” I giggled nervously and awkwardly.

Jinae started laughing quietly.

“Yah!” Maru yelled as he massaged his temples. “Why did you have to push my head so hard?”

“Mian...” I mumbled.

Maru didn’t answer. Instead he left me and Jinae alone as he walked to his room. I looked over at Jinae with a confused face. I asked her if he was mad but she shrugged.

“Does he get annoyed or mad easily?” I questioned.

She nodded, “Ne. Especially when he’s tired.”

I mentally face-palmed myself.

“He probably is mad.” I stated.

“What made you think that?” Jinae questioned.

“He said he was tired and then he suddenly laid his head on my shoulder but I ended up pushing his head off my shoulder.” I replied.

Jinae chuckled and shook her head, “Maru can be so emotional sometimes.”

I just sighed. It was almost 8pm and I’m pretty sure my brothers would want me home early. I decided I’d talk to Maru before I left. I knocked on his door but he didn’t answer. I opened the door slightly. He fell asleep as he listened to music on his laptop. I quietly kneeled down beside his bed, making sure I wasn’t waking him up. His face was a couple inches away from mine. I smiled.

“Mianhae, Maru-yah.” I whispered.

I was about to leave when something stopped me. I looked back and found Maru holding onto my wrist.

“Yah... You woke me up.” he said sleepily.

“Just go back to sleep then.” I said rudely but quietly.

“I can’t. Sing me to sleep.” he replied.

“But I need to go home now.” I stated.

“Please?” he whined.

I rolled my eyes, “Arasseo.”   

I sat on the edge of his bed beside him as a sang any song that popped in my head. His hand was still holding on to my wrist. I softly tried to loosen his grip when he suddenly grabbed on tighter. Though it was uncomfortable and it hurt, I waited until he fell asleep.

It was already 8:30pm as Jinae barged in. She was about to talk but I motioned her to stay quiet, pointing to Maru. She nodded understanding the situation. She backed up slowly so he wouldn’t wake up. His grip loosened after a few more minutes so I guessed he fell asleep. I slowly and quietly got out of the room.

Jinae was in the living room waiting for me.

“Oh! Minjung-ah. What was that all about?” Jinae asked right away.

“I was just going to say sorry to him but he was asleep. He woke up though and told me to sing him to sleep.” I replied.

“Oh I see... but how are you going home now? It’s dangerous going out in the dark by yourself. Especially when you’re a girl.” she said worried.

“Don’t worry. I’ll just call Siwoo oppa to pick me up.” I replied.

She nodded in agreement. I called Siwoo and he was there in just 15-20 minutes. Jinae walked me out and waited until I got in the car.

“How was your day today?” Siwoo oppa smiled.

“It was okay.” I replied. “How about you?”

“As always, it was so busy at work.” he responded.

I nodded and leaned my head on the window. I started to zone out. My mind kept replaying what happened a few minutes ago in Maru’s room. When he held onto my wrist, my heart stopped at that moment. It also felt like time stopped as well. I started smiling unconsciously.

“Wae?” Siwoo oppa suddenly asked.

I came back to reality.

“Eo? Ani oppa. It’s nothing.” I smiled.