The Third Person

The Green Pendant

 

It was a disastrous day for Yoona. She wont admit it to Taecyeon, but it was hard today. She understood why that girl would act that way towards her. She was the intruder to their family, another person would be too much for them. She thought about it, what Sunye had told her, Yubin was a goddess, such beauty that people can’t find easily, do people really think Im Yoona has a chance against someone like Kim Yubin?

Yoona layed on the couch, stuffing her face on the pillow when the door bell rang. She lazily went for the door, must be Sunny forgetting her keys yet again.

But it wasn’t Sunny. It was Yubin.

-

The morning before

It was exciting, nerveracking, hopeful, every feeling of joy. Taecyeon had finally asked Yoona on a date. Yoona was stressed with the clothes that she would choose to wear. Yuri and Sunny tried to help, but no one seemed to really help at all.

“Yah, Yoona, calm down. You’re going to be fine,” Yuri said looking at Yoona trying clothes againa and again.

“But this does not fit. Oh my God, and this is too orange!” Yoona freaked out.

“Calm down really,” Sunny tried to held Yoona’s shoulders but she shrugged off. “Okay, that is rude. Where is Sica when you need her to calm this girl down?”

“She’s off early, something about recording with her new boyfriend,” Yuri said.

“She did mention, ‘No! Minjun-oppa is not my boyfriend!’. Well, the sign of she spoke his real name seemed to say something other,” Sunny laughed.

Yoona smiled at this. 2 months ago, Jessica was head over heels towards Taecyeon, like really in love. But then suddenly she met Junsu, and somehow, they clicked. Jessica wasn’t as shy around Junsu as she was with other guys. Junsu seemed sincere about Jessica, and its only time that they found each other.

Yoona looked at the last blouse, and she remembered one thing. It was her mom’s. The only thing her mom left her was that blouse, dark blue and flowy. She took it absent mindedly and put it on. It fits perfectly, and she somewhat remembers her mom bits by bits. Its not much but she knew having a dad as both parents was the best thing that had happened to her. Then she remembers, it was her dad that gave the blouse to her. She said it would fit her one day, thus why he did not threw it away when her mom left.  It did fit, and she’ll wear it. Its a sign that the past is past and she’s venturing into the future now.

-

Taecyeon was in the recording studio with Junsu, where Jessica was recording a sample music Junsu composed.

“Minjun-oppa, will that be okay?” Jessica sweetly asked.

“Eh, should be fine!” Junsu smiled happily.

“You never smile when I called you Minjunnie,” Taecyeon .

“That is because you ain’t cute nor are you a sweet, charming girl like Jessica is,” Junsu looked over to the recording. “Sica, I think we should be done for today.”

“Ok,” Jessica smiled.

“By the way, I thought you have a date today?” Junsu said.

“Its at noon,” Taecyeon calmly said.

“And you are here because?” Junsu knew him too well. There must be something he needed.

“Yubin is here,” Taecyeon quickly said.

“What?”

“Yeah, she heard about Sunye’s  dad and she came to Korea to pay her visit,” Taecyeon said. “We’re supposed to hang out today but I told her I had to work extra time.”

“Why don’t you just tell her you are having a date?” Junsu was confused.

“I can’t just tell Yubin I’m going on a date!”

 “You know you and Yubin are like, divorced, completely only friends now,” Junsu said.

“I know. She’s not the problem,” Taecyeon said. “But it is still weird that I am casually saying to my ex-wife who was also the mother of my child that I’m dating again.”

“Its Yubin, she won’t care!” Junsu said.

“I know but it is still pretty weird.”

“Listen, just go on your date, and come back to tell Yubin about it,” Junsu gives an advice.

“Why would that make any difference?”

“Well, for one, you can fall for that pretty Yoona even more that it gives you more courage to tell your ex-wife about her,” Junsu had a point.

“You’re right. I just have to go on the date and...”

“Just go, Taec,” Junsu instructed and with that Taecyeon left.

-

Yoona was ready. No she was not. Yes she was. A date with Taecyeon should be natural, they were friends before, why should it be different now? Oh yeah, feelings have changed. She actually really REALLY liked the guy. Not like the crush she has on Lee Seunggi but a real feeling. She checked herself on the mirror, she can’t stop blushing.

Suddenly, Jessica came into the appartment, smiling brightly at her.

“Taecyeon is here, he’s waiting downstairs” and Jessica stepped aside to her room.

Yoona peeked through the window, and there he was, masculine and handsome in his white shirt and jeans. Yoona smiled, she shouldn’t be scared, it’s only Taecyeon. Feelings might have changed, but they can still be like the old friends they were. That can never change, should never change.

Yoona walked down the stairs and she met with Taecyeon, eyes so kind and a smile on his face.

“Annyeong,” she smiled.

“Annyeong,” he greets back. And then he held his hand for her. “You ready.”

She smiled, taking his hand. “Yes.” They left hand in hand, and Yoona felt she is over the moon.

“You are actually decent in your clothes now, Oppa,” Yoona teased.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I still remember that awful green and yellow combination you had when we were young,” she laughed.

“Yah. That was like years ago. I mean I still have some fashion sense somehow even back then,” Taecyeon gripped Yoona’s hand a bit and she just glared at him, not losing her teasing smile. “Okay, Junsu and Jay did help me a little on it.”

“Well, just a curious one, what did you decide on before Junsu and Jay decided a helping hand?” Yoona can feel their hands swinging a bit now.

“Well, it was a red...” Taecyeon saw Yoona scrunched her nose. “Its maroon red okay, don’t judge.”

“Why did Junsu-oppa said no?”

“Well, he had this theory that the red won’t help with me being like a blushing fool,” he said and Yoona can see his red cheeks. Yoona smiled. She knew that their feelings are mutual now. “You looked nice.”

“Oh thanks,” Yoona smiled, looking down at her own choice.

“It’s your mom’s right?” Taecyeon asked and Yoona stopped for a moment. How did he knew that? “I remembered the photo you showed me of her. Its the same one.”

“Oh, yeah. I mean, my dad gave it to me after she’s  gone. Said it would suit me,” Yoona looked down and she felt her hand being squeezed a bit.

“You know what I think, I think your dad regretted giving that blouse to your mom. I think he did meant to give it to you when he bought it, but you were too small,” Taecyeon smiled at Yoona and she could only smile back. That was Taecyeon to her, the old Taecyeon, the real Taecyeon, who is always so rough but so gentle at the same time. She grabbed his arm so she could be closer to him and murmered a thanks.

They went to the aquarium, a place where Taecyeon assured her it would be fun. Yoona teased that its because its the only animal that Taecyeon would go near to. Taecyeon disagreed but it really affected him dearly that Yoona would remember even the smallest details. He smiled at that.

Yoona pointed at the small shark that is swimming in front of them and she realised that Taecyeon was surrounding her from behind, both of his arms beside her, and his breathe on her neck. She blushed a little too much on it.  

“You see, I always thought that people often mistaken about sharks,” he spoke and he can feel Yoona being a little nervous.

“Why?” Yoona stuttered a bit.

“It has sharp teeth, scary looking feel to it, but it is actually just the nicest swimming creature around,” he smiled and Yoona looked back at the shark.

Yoona could only smile when she said this. “Just like you.”

Taecyeon was confused.

“Oppa, you scare people at times, but you’re not actually that bad,” Yoona smiled while holding one of Taecyeon’s arm. “Not to me anyway.” She looked up and she sees Taecyeon’s lips, so close to her. She feels him leaning towards her, slowly and asking for her consent. The fact that she was leaning in too was the confirmation he needed.

Ring ring!

They were interuppted by Taecyeon’s phone. He should have let them in silent mode. He sighed, “Yeap?”

“Oppa! Guess where I am?!” he heard the same voice around him as he did from his phone. He looked back and saw Sunye smiling brightly at him. “I can’t believe I caught you here!”

“Sunye?” Taecyeon looked at her, confused. “What the hell are you doing here?” Yoona immediately recognized her as the girl in the funeral she went to.

“I was just walking around and suddenly I saw you here,” she smiled brightly and she sees Yoona behind Taecyeon. “You were the girl from yesterday.”

“Ah, my name is Yoona,” Yoona bowed to her.

“Sunye!” she grabbed Yoona’s arm and dragged her around. “I hope I’m not interupting, I hope I can join you. I’ve been very alone around Korea. Even if Yubin is here, she’s just walking around finding clothes.”

“Yubin?” Yoona was confused. She knew Yubin was Taecyeon’s ex and how come she did not know that Yubin was in town.

‘Yeah, she came by yesterday,” Taecyeon explained. “I wanted to tell you...”

“Yubin was worried about me so she took the first flight from the states,” Sunye smiled. “Its so great I meet you guys here. Do you mind if I join you?” Taecyeon was caught off guard. This was a date, dates are forn two, they don’t need a third person. Sunye caught Taecyeon’s act. “Oh, God I’m so sorry. You two must be on a date, and I’m interfearing. What a jerk I am...”

Yoona being the kind person she is stopped Sunye from leaving. “It’s fine. I think three people would make it more fun.” Truthfully she wanted to be alone with Taecyeon, but Sunye was alone and she just lost her father too. She might need the outing.

“Yay!” Sunye hugged Yoona. “I knew you were a darling!”

Taecyeon sighed, he had not pictured his day to be interrupted.

They walked around again and Sunye was holding close onto Yoona, pointing and getting excited over nearly everything. Taecyeon felt like he was interrupting now, since it just looked like a guy following two girls on their outing. He can feel his phone buzzing agai. He sees Yubin’s name. He sighed and rejected the call. He knew exactly what Yubin is going to do if she finds out.

“Yoona! Look at that big one! Wow!” Sunye smiled brightly. Taecyeon smiled. At least it was nice to see her smiling again. Taecyeon began to actually enjoy the day again, until they sat down for lunch and Sunye somehow started to talk about Yubin.

“Yubin was the goddess in our high school before. This guy right over here, oppa was like in love with her from the moment he saw her,” Sunye started rambling and Taecyeon couldn’t even imagine what goes through Yoona’s head as Yoona could just stare blankly. “They were each other’s first.”

“Sunye-ah!” Taecyeon warned.

“What? Its just an old story. Anyway, you should have seen Chaerim, I mean that girl takes a lot from Yubin. But she got her daddy’s bone structure, that is very much a plus,” Sunye said. This took a hard nudge on Yoona’s heart since she suddenly realized she was absent in every story Sunye told her. The important days in Taecyeon’s life, she wasn’t there. Yoona didn’t want to be selfish, but she had hoped to be there. Even when Taecyeon was in another girl’s arms, she would want to be there. Just to see this little girl Chaerim that he so much cherished for.

“Sunye-ah,” Taecyeon called again.

“Oppa, really, you said yourself that Chaerim will never be gone so talking about her should be fine,” Sunye said and Yoona looked at Taecyeon. Suddenly, she sees what Sunye didn’t see. Those words of him being fine was his defense mechanism. It always has been. He was not okay talking about Chaerim, he is still hurting from the lost.

“Sunye-ssi. Why don’t we talk more about Yubin. She seems like a very interesting person,” Yoona didn’t want to know about Yubin, not how perfect and goddess like she is, Yoona didn’t want to know. But she had to.

“Yubin was the envy of everyone. She’s like this pop star without being one. She’s naturally pretty and y as hell. Even the white boys in our school fell for her. That is her charm,” Sunye smiled. “She was a saint too. She was never bad to anyone, not even those envious girls that bad mouths her for being pretty. She was a great mother, so much love and care she gave to Chaerim. I don’t think there could be another woman like her.”

Then Yoona sees Taecyeon smiling at this. She felt left out. How can she compete with Yubin, such a great person who will always be in Taecyeon’s life no matter how much she would want to take her out of it.

“Oh, I have a picture of her!” Sunye took her purse from her bag and gave it to Yoona, a picture slided inside. There were three people, Taecyeon, Sunye and a very pretty girl that should have been Yubin. She was beautiful. And in the picture, it was obvious that Taecyeon and Yubin were the couple. He was cuddled near her  and Yoona felt instant jealousy. “Oppa, why are you divorced again?” Sunye asked.

“What kind of question is that?” Taecyeon was annoyed. It seemed that Sunye is trying to make his life hard.

“Oppa, really, you and Yubin were high school sweethearts, you can’t even leave each other during our senior year,” Sunye made it clear that she had forgotten Yoona was there. It was definitely on purpose.

“Seriously, Sunye. I’m not with Yubin anymore, and she’s not with me. End of story,” Taecyeon was really annoyed. He would run away with Yoona right now if Sunye started asking questions again.

“You know if Chaerim was still alive you’d still be with Yubin,” Sunye added and Yoona was confused. She thought Taecyeon sepparated with Yubin before Chaerim died. It seemed the other way round. What’s more surprising was Taecyeon’s silence.

“Um, would you excuse me, I need to go to the ladies room,” Yoona smiled weakly and excused herself, eaving Taecyeon who had no words to put in and Sunye eyeing him. Yoona stopped herself in front of the mirror in the ladies room, seeing that tears were already in her eyes. How could she compete with Yubin, someone who is in fact really beautiful.Yoona splashed her face with water and looked at herself. Plain Im Yoona, nothing more. When did she became so weak?

Meanwhile, Taecyeon sat in silence, waiting for Yoona to come back. Sunye was still eyeing him.

“Oppa, what are you doing with her?” Sunye asked.

“I like her,” Taecyeon simply said.

“Do you love her?” Sunye asked and it made Taecyeon think.

“No,” he said. “Not yet anyway. I could see myself falling in love with her.”

“I couldn’t see you doing that, at all,” Sunye simply said. “I know you even better than Yubin does.”

“That’s what you’d like to believe,” Taecyeon looked down. “I’ve changed. And you do too.”

“In what way really do I change,” Sunye laughed.

“You’re mean and dishonest,” Taecyeon said calmly. “You were so kind before, and you’d believe in anything that can make people happy.” Taecyeon looked at Sunye. “What happened?”

Sunye was silent before standing up to walk away. “Life did.”

-

Yoona didn’t go back to Taecyeon, it was too hard. She walked back, sending a text of apology to Taecyeon. She told him she was a bit under the weather, obviously a lie but it was too hard to go back really. She arrived in her appartment, no one was in.

She had a shower and tried to stay calm, but everything that had happened kept replaying in her mind. Then one moment of happiness came in when she recalled how her lips almost touched his, how he was so gentle around her, how he held her hand. She looked down, it was still destroyed by Sunye’s revelation.

It was a disastrous day for Yoona. She wont admit it to Taecyeon, but it was hard today. She understood why that girl would act that way towards her. She was the intruder to their family, another person would be too much for them. She thought about it, what Sunye had told her, Yubin was a goddess, such beauty that people can’t find easily, do people really think Im Yoona has a chance against someone like Kim Yubin?

Yoona layed on the couch, stuffing her face on the pillow when the door bell rang. She lazily went for the door, must be Sunny forgetting her keys yet again.

But it wasn’t Sunny. It was Yubin.

“Ah...” was the only word Yoona could say. Had her day gone worse?

“Are you Im Yoona? The one who went on a date with Taec?” Yubin asked, no expressions on her face.

“Ah yes?”

Suddenly, Yubin smiled and held her hand up. “I’m Yubin. Pleased to meet you, finally.”

Yoona took her hand. Well, she is very nice.

“By the way,” Yubin suddenly pulled a scared Sunye who were hiding. “This girl would like to apologize for ruining your date.”

“Eh?” Yoona was confused.

“Sunye!” Yubin warned her friend.

Reluctantly, Sunye said, “I’m sorry I’ve ruined your date.” She stopped but Yubin nudged her. “And for saying some unnecessary stuffs.”

“Unnecessary stuffs?” Yoona was confused.

“Taec told me that this nosy girl right here told you how he still would be with me if my dear Chaerim was still alive. But that is way off the facts there alright. We would be over earlier if that dude didn’t get me pregnant. I wouldn’t marry him if it wasn’t for my baby,” Yubin said calmly. She was a strong headed girl. “Taec and I would still be best friends, but that’s about it.”

Yoona looked at Yubin and she sees that Yubin was sincere, honest in everything. She believed her.

“Believe me, okay, not this girl,” Yubin pointed at Sunye. Yoona smiled, if she hadn’t believe her, Yubin would make Yoona believe it was so. “Now, will you please end my ex’s  misery right over there. He’s waiting.” Yubin pointed down and there was Taecyeon, sitting in silent waiting.

“Oh,” Yoona said and she nodded. “Oh, please, come inside and....”

“Its a good drama, so we will be watching,” Yubin said. “Just go!”

“Okay,” Yoona hurried off to see Taecyeon. And there he was, silently waiting for something. “Taecyeon?”

“Yoona? Listen, Yubin and Sunye are both crazy okay, don’t listen to them, and....”

“What are you doing here?” Yoona asked, sincerely wanting to know.

“I uh... I went back and I told Yubin I was on a date. But she sees how I’m kind of furious with Sunye that she kind of forces me to spill everything that happened,” Taecyeon sees Yubin watching them and he couldn’t help but rolled his eyes.

“Can I ask you something?” Yoona asked quietly. Taecyeon nodded. “Would you really still be with her if Chaerim is still alive?” She needed to know that.

“Um, that...” Taecyeon didn’t know what to say. “Honestly I would because I was always with her, I kind of didn’t know how to be with another girl after that. I knew I fell out of love with her, but to go back to something I knew was easy.”

Yoona smiled at his honesty. “Am I something easy then? To go back to? Since we were childhood friends and all?’

“No,” Taecyeon softly said. “You scare me a lot.” He looked down right to her eyes. “But I am willing to go down this road, somehow, I don’t quite understand it yet, I just do.”

Yoona’s heart melted as she gave him a huge smile and she laughed a bit. “Good.”

“Hey you two lovebirds!” they heard Yubin yelling at them in English. “Just kiss her already you slowpoke!”

“That woman is a scary woman, she asked me to wait here in this freezing cold night and now yell...” he was cut off by Yoona who pulled him towards her, firmly planting her lips on his. Sometimes the girl had to take charge and here is Yoona taking charge. She could feel him smile while kissing her and his hands pulling her tighter. In a short moment, Yoona’s legs left the ground when Taecyeon spun her around.

The day couldn’t get any better for them.

To be continued

Get ready people, because this is when everything starts getting real good and real bad. By the way, Lee Junho and Jang Wooyoung cameo on the next chapter!!!!