My Old Friend

The Green Pendant

 

Yoona thought it was too late. Junsu thought it was time things fell through. Yoona thought she would never face Taecyeon after what had happened. Junsu had made plans for them to meet.

“Oppa, I don’t think its going to work,” Yoona sat at a table in a cafe Junsu recommended. Junsu sipped his tea in front of her, worrying nothing.

“Who says anything about things working out?” Junsu said calmly. He looked straight at Yoona. “We are experimenting here.”

“Experimenting?” Yoona’s confused.

“Reactions. Body gestures. The first things they actually teach when you became a trainee in some fancy entertainment company, weirdly enough,” Junsu recalled his own experiences.

“You were a trainee?” Yoona was surprised.

“Yes. The wasted 3 months of unrelated education are actually put on use now,” Junsu looked too calm, compared to a nervous Yoona. “Relax, Yoona-ssi. Trust me on this one.”

Yoona was actually very thankful of Junsu. If it weren’t for him, she wouldn’t have any courage to face Taecyeon again. The past that had put him in his state right now just means that he needed to get away from it, to start believing in himself again. Yoona wanted that for Taecyeon, and she wasn’t giving up on him. Not yet, not ever.

“Ah, our star had just arrived,” Junsu said, and Yoona looked up, to see Taecyeon flushed by the weather outside. “Yah, Taeckie!”

Taecyeon saw them immediately, and he wasn’t reacting to anything that is. He just walks towards their table, and sat beside Yoona like nothing ever happened. He was way too casual after everything that had happened. “Yo.”

“You are late, my friend,” Junsu said, showing his phone that says 9:05.

“Your phone is 5 minutes early,” Taecyeon calmly said. “By the way, why are we here?”

“Can’t we just meet up and have normal conversations?” Junsu said. Yoona felt invincible. She was there, Taecyeon was siting right next to her, but he wasn’t looking. Its like he never saw her there.

“Yah Kim Min Jun,” Taecyeon straightened. Yoona was confused while looking at Junsu. “Why are we here?”

Junsu just smiled. “Experimenting.”

Taecyeon looked at Junsu, disbelieved. He stood up to leave. “I’ll deal with you later.”

“Good,” Junsu smiled. When Taecyeon left, Yoona heart fell as he was ignoring her all at once. Even if he was just sitting beside her, all the warmth felt but she was not there to him. She wasn’t at all.

“That went well,” Yoona looked down at her cup.

“What do you mean well?” Junsu shook her head. “That went exactly like I predicted!”

“Eh?”

“Taeckie has this subtle gestures about practically anything. When he came in, he directly sat beside you, not because you’re invincible by the way,” Junsu laughed and Yoona looked down. How did he know that? “He sat directly next to you because he didn’t want to face you.”

“Face me?”

“You have to understand, its hard for him too,” Junsu sipped his tea once more. “It means he still cared, after all that has happened. If he didn’t, he would either sat beside me or stand, and look into your eyes without any feelings in his blood.”

Yoona looked down at her cup. Its so subtle she can barely understand Taecyeon. She looked at Junsu and he knew way more of Taecyeon than she does.

“Oppa, how long have you known him?” she had to ask.

“For about 2 years. Maybe more. I don’t really count,” Junsu smiled. “But long enough for him to know my real name, Kim Min Jun.” Junsu laughed.

“What was he like for that 2 years?”

“Lonely, selfish, a bit cruel,” Junsu looked right at Yoona. “Cold, brutally cold, and hurt.”

Yoona couldn’t imagine what that could be. And she realized the only one who was there during the time was Junsu.

“Thank you, Oppa,” Yoona nodded.

“For what?” Junsu was surprised.

“For being there with him,” Yoona smiled. “You seem to actually bring him back from the past.”

“Well, I’m not there yet,” Junsu shook his head. “He is still hurt and he still didn’t believe in himself. I may bring him back to a level, but he’s happy just looking at you, that I know of.”

“What?”

“Usually when I do something that would piss him off, he would let me be my own . But he said ‘I’ll deal with you later’. Means he actually wanted to know why am I here sitting in front of you. He saw you for an instant and immediately he didn’t go all Taec on me, that tells, he actually wants to see you, Yoona. I know it sounds crazy but trust me, I know the boy,” Junsu nodded.

“You love him very much do you?” Yoona asked.

“Well, I’m not gay for him but you could say that. He saved me,” Junsu said.

“Saved you?”

“From making all the horrible mistakes I could have done. We’re each other’s saviour,” Junsu smiled, recalling his days oflost. Both of them were lost.

-

Hyori waited in front of Junsu and Taecyeon’s apartment. She wasn’t exactly patient in waiting. Hyori was here to meet Junsu. She needed more information on Taecyeon’s whereabouts this week. Since Eunjung weren’t that good in stalking subtly, she needed to do the digging.

She looked around and saw a girl walking towards her. Such a pretty innocent face, Hyori thought.

“Is no one in?” the girl asked.

“No, I’ve been here for almost an hour and not even one of the two is home yet,” Hyori looked at the girl again. Such long black hair, with white skin and peaceful persona. “Which one?”

“Excuse me?”

“Which guy are you waiting for?”

“Oh, Taecyeon oppa,” the girl smiled.

“Oh, I’m waiting for Junsu,” Hyori said. She looked at the girl again, tall, long dark hair, a bit young. “How did you know Taecyeon?”

“Eh?” the girl looked at her. “Oh, he was my brother’s  friend.”

Was? And now dating the sister, psh, gotta hand it to him, Hyori noted.

“Lee Hyori by the way,” Hyori held her hand up. Maybe the connection would help.

“Bae Suzy,” the girl smiled.

“Eh, Suzy?” they heard a voice and they saw Junsu standing there. “And noona too.”

“Oppa,” Suzy bowed. “Annyeohaseyo!”

“Anyeong,” Junsu patted Suzy’s head. “Looking for Taeckie?”

“Ah yes!” Suzy smiled. “Unni asked me to give him this.”

Junsu looked and sees a bag filled with herbs. “Herbs?”

“Ah, yes. Its almost winter time. Taecyeon oppa always caught on flu, so unnie said this herbs at home should at least help him for a bit,” Suzy smiled. Hyori thought the girl was too cheeky. “I have much for oppa too!”

“Ah yes, but I rarely get sick,” Junsu took the bag from Suzy. “But thank you. I’ll tell Taecyeon you came by.”

Suzy became quiet for a bit, somehow sadened by something.

“Suzy, I’ll tell him you came by,” Junsu patted her head again. Suzy just nodded and she left, leaving Junsu with Hyori.

“Who’s the girl?” Hyori asked.

“Suzy, and she was really infatuated with Taec that you know, everytime the new season comes by, she’ll be here carrying this very weird herbs with her for Taec,” Junsu looked into the bag. “But they do help with the flu though.”

“So what now Taecyeon is using the girl for medical reasons because the girl likes him?” Hyori almost wanted to laugh.

“No. Suzy, she sees Taecyeon like he’s her brother,” Junsu explained. “She has a brother, who should be about my age now if he’s still alive.”

“Oh so the girl has replacement issues,” Hyori actually thinks Suzy would be useless then.

“Something like that,” Junsu said. Hyori caught that. She knew Junsu, and she knew it when he lies. “What?”

“There is something you’re not telling me,” Hyori looked right at Junsu.

“It’s not mine to tell, really,” Junsu said smiling. “Wanna go up, have some beer?”

“No, I gotta get back to work,” Hyori said.

“Why were you here in the first place?” Junsu asked.

“To see you,” Hyori smiled and she walked away. “But sadly you only would gave me beer for today and honey, that is not why I wanted to see you.”

Junsu sighed. Nowadays, his relationship or whatever this thing they have gets even more awkward. Junsu spends more and more time with Jessica now since he practically started courting her. Not that he’s a man that have lots of chivalry but at the very least he is a gentleman. He often asks her to come to his studio (a small space he has in his apartment) to sing his latest rendition. He wanted to end this thing he has with Hyori, but he wasn’t sure how. Lee Hyori does not cope well in being dumped.

-

Taecyeon wiped the glasses behind the bar, silently looking at nowhere. He was in his own mind, in his own zone. He was deep in thoughts of why would Junsu be with Yoona this morning. It was good to see her though. She seemed fine. He looked back at his glass, it was too shiny. He overdid one glass and left the other dozen untouched. He needed to focus on his glasses, not on Yoona. He made his decision, he forced it to happen, and it did. He can’t change it all back.

“One vodka, on the rocks,” he heard a lady’s order. Only one would have that during noon.

“Sunye-ah,” he smiled. “Fancy meeting you here.” He opted over the bar a bit to give her a hug.

Sunye smiled. Her short red hair matches her spunky outfit. She put on a bright smile when Taecyeon brought her drink. “Thank you.”

“I thought you were in the states?” Taecyeon asked.

“I left. I mean the ride with Nick Cannon bandwagon was off the park but I guess I just got homesick,” Sunye took her drink like a man who haven’t touched water for years. “Ahh, that’s the good stuff.”

“People still love you?” Taecyeon asked.

“Like a diamond,” Sunye smiled. “I am a true diamond. You said so yourself.”

“You definitely are,” Taecyeon smiled. Sunye moved to the states when she was 15 and has been his friend through out high school, she’s smart, and such a sweet girl. Unlike Taecyeon who went with his family, Sunye left Korea with a distressed tension between the family and gone to live with her aunt in Boston. Sunye loves music, she longed for it. On her last days in high school, she told Taecyeon that she will leave everything behind just for music, everything. So she took vocal lessons, music classes and ended up working as a back up singer with Nick Cannon’s help. Nick wanted to help her make her solo debut. But on the contrary, here she is, in front of Taecyeon, sipping vodka.

“When are you going back?” Taecyeon asked.

“You want me to leave already?” Sunye .

“You know I don’t mean it like that,” Taecyeon laughed. “You have this big dreams and quote, I won’t live on a break until that dream came true.”

“Well, it turns out even the Wonder Sunye can also be wrong,” Sunye streched her arms. Taecyeon looked at her. “I wanted to sing, I will always want to sing. I will always love music. But...” That was a surprise to Taecyeon. Sunye always and will always love music, so what is she saying? “I’m not Ray Charles who would love his music more than his family.”

“What?” Taecyeon saw Sunye suddenly started sobbing.

“My father died. And I didn’t even get to say sorry,” Sunye broke down and Taecyeon quickly left his place to catch her from falling even more. Sunye was always all smiles, and Taecyeon always thought that a smile suits her more than anything. But today, she needs to cry, she needs to be hold.

-

Yoona got a call from her dad, telling her that one of his oldest friend passed away and he needs her to accompany her to the funeral. Yoona said she will be there, of course. Her father seemed quite down and a little of not shock by the news. Yoona told her housemates that she will be at her father’s house fow awhile to keep him company.

Taecyeon and all of her getting him back plan with Junsu (or Min Jun) will have to wait.

“Appa, are you okay?” Yoona asked as she poured tea for her dad.

“Ah, yes. I was only a little shocked bout Dae Hyun. He had been a very good friend for a long time. He had a daughter too, about your age,” Yoona’s dad smiled. “I’m a bit worried about her.”

“Why?”

“Well, she wanted to be a singer, and boy, Dae Hyun always said that he never believed the girl could do it, drove her away when she was a teenager,” Yoona’s dad sipped the tea.

“Does she know about her dad?” Yoona asked.

“I believe the relatives would have notified her,” Yoona’s dad streched his arms. “But there was not even one day Dae Hyun didn’t feel proud of her. He always have this animatic motions when he talks about her. He wanted the best for her, but being a father to 2 girls, I would definitely say he got the parental thing wrong too. The mother died when she was young, but that don’t mean he has to take the role. Being a father is a hard enough task to do, and I guess Dae Hyun was trying to do both.”

“I guess I got lucky having you as a dad,” she hugged her dad to cheer him up. “I know you won’t leave me, or unnie even if we are your annoying daughters!”

“Of course,” he patted Yoona’s back. “If I ever lose any of you, I’d crush myself down to hell.”

Yoona could only stayed silent because she knew that the two families were in the same condition, despite how the mother chose the ways to leave them. But she guessed her family got lucky because here she is, comforting her father, being in each other’s lives. Being a family was easy for her, as she knew her father would never abandon her.

And then a thought came to her. Taecyeon lost Chaerim. Was he trying to crush himself down to hell too?

Yoona looked over at her dad. She wouldn’t know how Taecyeon was around Chaerim, but she could guess that it would be similar to how her father is around her. Loving and caring. Seeing their daughter as their number one, and to lose is like losing your every reason to live.

-

“You sure you want me here?” Taecyeon asked as he held Sunye’s small hand in his, protecting her from drowning in her sorrows.

“Yes, I need my friend,” Sunye held his hand tighter. Taecyeon nodded as he faced the black funeral everyone was here for. The last funeral Taecyeon had gone to was Junsu’s father’s, and unlike before, Junsu was strong enough to not be a cripled that needs help. He stood by his two feet and didn’t shed a tear even if he really wants too. But Sunye was different, Sunye was in a different dilemma. Unlike Junsu, Sunye left her father first, and she even acknowledged deep inside her that there will always be time to say sorry that she left abruptly. But she wasn’t given that chance, and now she was everything from guilt to bare sadness.

Taecyeon held her arm while all the guest bowed to her, putting all her weight on him so she wouldn’t feel like she’s drowning. He couldn’t see her face but he could feel her hand gripping his firmly before releasing it and gripping it again.

Taecyeon could only look down and stare at the guest coming in again, because he needs to be calm for Sunye. But fate tends to make a shift as he saw Yoona staring back at him, confused and shocked.

-

Junsu sat in front of the tv with Jessica reading his music sheets before the phone rang.

“Yeah?” he asked and he heard a yelling Taecyeon being mad at him on the other line. “Hang on calm the down dude.” Jessica eyed him.

“Listen, I don’t know what is up with you this week, but I am here for Sunye and if you must, play your little games away from her. Her father just died you !” Taecyeon went mad.

“Clearly you get your head beaten up because I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Junsu looked at Jessica and raised his shoulders.

“Yoona is here.”

“What?” Junsu said.

“Yoona is here, and man I need to be strong for Sunye today and I can’t do it with Yoona looking at me right in the eye,”  Taecyeon gritted his teeth, clearly thinking everything was Junsu’s planning.

“Okay, one, I know you needed to be strong for your friend, and two, I didn’t send Yoona there,” Junsu said. Before Taecyeon could rattle back, Junsu cuts him. “And three, why would Yoona out of all people make you weak? Why would Yoona being there peel off your layers?”

“Its not about that...”

“Hell, its about that, Taec. It is,” Junsu said, and heard nothing but silence from Taecyeon. “I have some music to do, so later bro.” And then he hung up.

Taecyeon looked back on his phone, and was surpised by his own panic. He shouldn’t panic. He made his decision. Nothing happened, maybe Yoona knew Sunye’s dad, or maybe she’s Sunye’s old friend or something. It was just a coincidence. He was going to go back to Sunye but found that Yoona was standing behind him when he turned around.

Silence was in the for a couple of seconds.

“Hello,” Yoona started with a smile. And all Taecyeon could think was she looks good. “Do you know Min Dae Hyun?”

“Ah, her daughter is my friend,” Taecyeon stuttered a bit. “Sunye, yeah, she’s my friend.” He didn’t know why he sounded like he was explaining something to her.

“Oh, I see,” Yoona smiled again. “I have to go back to my dad now, he’s a friend of Min Dae Hyun.”

“Oh yeah,” Taecyeon could only say that as he watch her turning away from him. Before he knew it, he was grabbing her hand, pulling her, stopping her from stepping away. Yoona was surprised and looked straight into his eyes, trying to find some truth. “You... You...” Taecyeon was out of words. “You look good.”

With that, Taecyeon rushed away from her and back to the wake, to his spot right next to his friend Sunye who needs him as he reminds himself over and over again, leaving Yoona who felt a new ray of hope coming through her heart.

Sunye held her own when she sees her father being burried, and left herself with tears before walking back to her house. Her family or so she thought they were could only look at her as if she was a stranger. Her grandparents were kind to let her stay with them rather than the judgmental relaives that seemed to think her father’s death was her fault. Taecyeon took her to her grandparents house, where all of Min Dae Hyun’s old friends came to pay their condolences to the family. Of course, Yoona was there too. And all Taecyeon could do was watching her from afar.

“Thank you for being here,” Sunye smiled. “You are a good friend.”

“Anytime,” Taecyeon smiled. He looked up from Sunye and saw Yoona and her father walking towards them, and he tried hard not to look into Yoona’s heart. He fears that he will panic yet again.

“Min Sunye?” the elder asked her and Sunye nodded. “My condolences to you my dear.”

“You are?” Sunye asked.

“I was one of your father’s friend in the old factory. He was a good man, and a very hardworking one too,” Yoona’s father smiled.

“Thank you. I’m sure he would be glad that you came,” Sunye bowed her head a bit.

“And I would also like to tell you,” Yoona’s father looked at her with such sad eyes. “That he was always so proud of you.”

Sunye’s eyes began to water and Taecyeon felt that Sunye’s knees weren’t strong enough to support her weight, and before they know it, Sunye collapsed into the dark as the burden that was too much on her started to float away.

-

Taecyeon layed Sunye on the couch with her head on his chest, because he remembered how she and Yubin always playfully teasing him for having the best chest to lean on. He smiled because he could feel Sunye calming down in her sleep as she rest. Taecyeon looked on at Sunye and sees how fragile she really is. He remembered how he and Yubin were always so scared to go off on a date because Sunye might get herself in trouble. Sunye was the bright gem of the day, she was the diamond that everyone loved. Now he suddenly realized that him abruptly leaving the states must have affected Sunye too, because he was her dear friend. He felt slightly guilty that he couldn’t be there for her as he has been selfish all these times. He always took care of Sunye like he said he will always take care of Yubin, even if they are no longer a couple. Because that is their friendship, he was their knight and shinning armour, and he left because of his own weakneses. Every single time.

“Oppa?” he heard the door opened and he saw Yoona peeking in. “Is she okay?”

Taecyeon smiled, somehow looking at Yoona made him feel like smiling. “Yeah, she’s just asleep.”

Yoona sat on the chair opposite of him. “Must have been a shock.”

“For her, yeah. She’s a champion in making a great comeback though. I think she’ll live,” Taecyeon smiled when he sees Sunye still deep in her slumber.

“I’m guessing she was a really good friend to you?” Yoona asked.

“Yeah, she went to my high school for a bit. And guess what, she’s a really good singer too,” Taecyeon smiled. “A great singer, diamond as she always calls herself. And even if she says she’ll never be great, I think she’ll surprise herself one day.”

Yoona smiled. Taecyeon looked so bright when he talks about the girl laying asleep.

“I’m sorry Yoona,” Taecyeon suddenly said. Yoona was too surprised to meet his eyes. “I’m sorry that I was an who tried to push you away. I was selfish and....”

“I put you in the spot, I didn’t mean to...”

“I wanted to make things right. Start over,” Taecyeon said and finally Yoona met his eyes. “I don’t want to leave you like I did with Sunye and Yubin. Being all selfish because I was too weak to grief of my lost.”

Yoona could only look at him.

“I wan’t to see you again,” Taecyeon said and all Yoona could do was just smile with tears in her eyes and nodded. They’ll start fresh.

-

Hyori sat in her favorite cafe and sipping her coffee while looking through some files. She was a bit curious on the girl named Bae Suzy, because Bae sounds familiar. Hyori looked at her phone and sees ‘Crazy ’ on her identification. “Yes, Eunjung-ssi?”

“I thought you were going to take care of everything? I am not very patient,” Eunjung was grumpy on the other side of the line.

“Relax, alright, I’ll get it done right before you know it,” Hyori hung up without saying anything further. Eunjung was starting to annoy her. She looked around the cafe and saw Junsu walking outside of the cafe with Jessica.

She scanned Jessica from head to toe and could only smirk. Such a plain girl. But then she looked back at Junsu and she saw him laughing like a kid. He never does that with her. All they had was heated passion and angry .

She looked down. “No, things will be fine.”

She remembered that day, when Ok Taecyeon stole Junsu from her.

Flashback

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Hyori said, clearly smitten with the young Junsu.

“I can’t,” Junsu said. “I’m writing some more. Taec said I should be.”

End Flashback

Hyori was confused because since he was 15, he never said no, not even once. He always said yes to her. He was always there. And suddenly, 2 years ago when Jaebum brought in this stranger named Ok Taecyeon, Junsu suddenly changed. He wasn’t put under Hyori’s spell anymore, he left her hanging and sometimes, he takes control and as if he was being free off her. He started to chase other women and even if Hyori herself considered Junsu to only be beneficial once in awhile, Junsu is still hers and should never be around other women.

Ok Taecyeon had ripped Junsu from her and changed everything. And it wasn’t fair that Junsu would rather protect his so called friend rather than her. Her Junsu was no longer there. It was all his fault, and she will let him feel the same as she does, she will break Ok Taecyeon. Because she believed that if Taecyeon is out of the picture, she’ll have her own Junsu back.

She believed that day will come.

-

Bae Suzy sat in her room doing her homework. She looked at her side table and saw her own brother staring back at her. She smiled. “Oppa, I didn’t meet Taecyeon today, but I’m sure he’s doing good. Take care of her daughter, okay oppa.”

She didn’t notice her father watching her and he could almos cry seeing her daughter’s condition like this.

-

Two pairs of heels walking through the airport clunked around. Her red hair swings by with her aviators on. Her Fendi bag swings around as she checked off the imigration.

“Welcome home, Miss Kim,” the officer smiled at her, because she was a bombshell. She looked around and saw her hometown.

She was back. Yubin was back.

To Be Continued

Sorry for the late update. I got busy and I don’t have anything more to say than hope you liked it!