Cruel

The Green Pendant

 

She wanted to ask, she really do. She wanted to ask, but the daughter that he lost. When? How? All these questions. But Yoona didn’t dare. And she was too afraid to bring that sad face on Taecyeon again. The happy, cheerful Taecyeon who always smiled no matter what, was so solemn, so lost the night she asked about Chaerim.

Taecyeon left that night with a simple goodbye, no explanation. He just left. Yoona was too shock to stop him. And she felt as if she didn’t know the man that stood in front of her.

She hoped he’s alright.

-

Taecyeon stood dumbly in front of the stove, waiting for the water to boil. Junsu peeked in and sighed.

“You know it won’t boil if you don’t heat the stove,” Junsu said clicking the stove. Taecyeon just looked at him blankly. “What’s wrong with you today?” Junsu asked as if it’s the normal question of the day.

“Yoona knows about Chaerim,” Taecyeon makes an invincible circle on the table.

“So?”

“So, do I tell?” the circle becomes bigger.

“You said she knows,” Junsu sat on the counter.

“She just knew that Chaerim is my daughter and she’s gone,” Taecyeon delivered well, but Junsu knew how much that hurt. “She doesn’t know that I...”

“That you what?” Junsu cuts him. Junsu hopped off the counter. “That you supposedly killed your own daughter? That you are responsible for her death? Taec, it’s not your fault! It’s never your fault!”

“You weren’t there,” Taecyeon looked down.

“But I knew better than your clouded mind into blaming everything on yourself,” Junsu walked out of the kitchen. “And Yubin called! She left a message! Jackass!”

Taecyeon looked down, attempting to hold on the burning pot, and he stayed for a good 5 seconds before reacting to the heat. He looked at his red palms, and smirked. “Appa deserved that, right Chaerim-ah.”

-

Evening soon came and Yoona was off work today. She spent it looking out of the window of her apartment, silencing herself from all these Taceyeon thing. It was tiring thinking about him. Though she couldn’t help it.

A question popped in her head, why was Taecyeon suddenly surrounding everything she did? She was pouring a glass of water, and she thought about what Taecyeon is having for breakfast. Have he prepared one? Or he was off for work with a bread on the go?

Yoona sighed. “Whatever, just let this slide over, Yoona.”

“Slide what over?” Jessica suddenly popped from behind.

“Nothing,” Yoona really wanted to talk about it to someone, but its not her secret to tell. But was it a secret at first? She didn’t really know for sure.

And then she realized that Jessica was dressed so nicely.

“Are you going to work?” Yoona asked.

“Um no, I had the evening off after the other night’s overtime,” Jessica explained.

“Then whats with the outfit?” Yoona looked at Jessica. Although Jessica is pretty as always, today she wore more make up, curled her hair and wore a little black dress.

“I am going to a muzeum. There is an exhibition today. Its a formal event, thus the attire,” Jessica smiled. “I have extra tickets. Do you want to come?”

“Eh?”

“You have the day off too right? Are you expecting to just stay there and look over the window all evening?” Jessica pulled Yoona up. “Come on, I’ll dress you up.”

“I think I’ll stay he...” Jessica wasn’t accepting a no, so she just pulled Yoona to her room, expecting nothing less. Yoona sighed, she knew there was nothing she can do to stop her friend.

Jessica was busy looking through her wardrobe, finding something Yoona can borrow.

“How did you know about this exhibition anyway?” Yoona looked over on Jessica’s table.

“Junsu-ssi told me,” Jessica took out a white dress and layed it on the bed. She looked through it and shooked, so she looked through her wardrobe again.

“Since when do you talk to Junsu-ssi?” Yoona was curious. From what she knew, they have only met once, during the karaoke. , she thought about Taecyeon again.

“I’m kind of helping him with something,” Jessica blushed a bit.

“On what exactly?” Yoona really hoped it doesn’t have anything to do with Taecyeon.

“Singing,” Jessica kept her blushed face off Yoona’s sight.

“Singing?”

“He’s producing some songs, and he said he needed a female vocalist for his demo,” Jessica pulled a purple dress. “He came by the office the other day, asking if I would be willing to help.”

“Well, you do sing well,” Yoona admitted.

“Thanks,” Jessica smiled. “Here, put this on fast or we would be late to meet Junsu-ssi in the exhibition.”

“He’s coming too?” Yoona asked. This could be her chance to ask Junsu about Taecyeon.

“Yes, hurry!”

-

Junsu sipped his wine, looking around boringly. He was not a fan of art or anything, but the music orchestra will be starting before lunchtime, and that will be the best part. It is his piece played there. And he couldn’t wait to show it to Jessica.

He thought Jessica’s voice was very sweet, but also very powerful at the same time. As a producer, he can see her talent will shine if she is more exposed to music. And he will start with a proper classic orchestra.

He looked around and saw Eunjung oogling at Taecyeon. He sighed. He didn’t know why Taecyeon hang around that chick. Far more confusing is the fact that Taecyeon blankly asked Eunjung to join them to the exhibition.

He walked to the open bar, fetching more wine when he saw a gorgeous lady tapped his shoulder. Lee Hyori smiled at him, and he offered what he received.

“Nuna, why I don’t know you liked art,” Junsu gave her his wine.

“No, actually I was looking for you. I saw your name on the poster as the producer. Impressive,” Hyori smiled.

“Thanks and why were you looking for me?”

“Its about your future.  DSP media wanted to recruit you as an artist in their company. They heard you sing, and they liked what they heard,” Hyori smiled, thinking that Junsu will be off the roof.

But Junsu only chuckled and shooked his head. “I thought you know me noona. I’m not a singer.”

“Junsu, you have a great talent in singing,” Hyori pushed a bit. “You can get lots of money and connection by being their artist. I know DSP isn’t the big 3 companies but the can help you.”

“I don’t want to become a vocalist,” Junsu puts his feet down. “I want to write my own song, create my own music, not become a puppet inside a prison. If I were to be signed, I want them to sign my creations too.”

“And how are you going to do that?” Hyori asked.

As if on cue, Jessica and Yoona arrived at the scene, with Jessica automatically waved her hand to him. “By writing music for people that would appreciate it. Excuse me noona, I have things to do.” Junsu left and approached Jessica.

“Hey, Jessica-ssi. And, Yoona-ssi,” he was a bit surprised Yoona was there too. When he said bring a friend, he thought there are more chances that Jessica would invite the other two friends, and him bringing Taecyeon wouldn’t be a problem. Now Yoona is here, Taecyeon brought Eunjung as his ‘date’ and its a recipe for disaster indeed. Especially since crazy Eunjung could do rather anything. Once she splashed one of Taecyeon’s hook up with red wine, all over her white dress and seeing as Yoona is wearing white right now, its all like dejavu.

“I hope you won’t mind that I’m tagging along,” Yoona bowed a bit.

“No, not at all. The more the merrier,” Junsu said nervously. He looked back at Taecyeon’s direction. Taecyeon wasn’t looking his way, but Eunjung is, and she was glaring at them. , that girl has Taecyeon’s girl radar on her. “You know what, lets see what the buffet serves today shall we?” Junsu pulled both girls to the buffet section.

Taecyeon at the moment was too busy distracted by the art in front of him. He smiled, remembered how Yubin loved going to the museum even if it didn’t fit to her wild and loud nature. A trait that Chaerim took in. Yubin left a message before asking about his life, and as always, he would honestly reply, ‘I’ve been better obviously’.

Yubin stayed in Boston as an interior. Sometimes they would catch up on the phone, seeing how the other is doing. Junsu once misunderstood that as love reconciling, but Taecyeon denied it. He loved Yubin, but he’s not in love with her. Not anymore anyway.

“A penny for your thoughts?” Eunjung asked, somehow holding his arm more firmly.

“Nothing to tell really,” Taecyeon wandered his gaze around the place and his eyes land on Yoona, who is chatting up with Junsu and Jessica. Eunjung followed his gaze, and anger suddenly took over her eyes.

Taecyeon was surprised to see Yoona. He didn’t see her after the karaoke night, and to be honest he was glad. He didn’t know how to face her after the truth.

Yoona felt someone was watching her, and she saw Taecyeon, standing there handsomely in his tux, with another girl who had her arms around his. Her heart somehow broke a bit. She was so busy for days thinking about him, and there he was, standing like a cold person with another girl in his arms.

“Hey, Sica, I need to go to the restroom, okay,” Yoona whispered to Jessica.

“Are you okay?” Jessica asked, worried. Yoona forgot how perceptive Jessica was. Even if she forced the biggest smile ever, only Jessica would know that she’s faking it.

“Yeah, I’ll tell you later, okay,” with that, she walked off the hall. She was slightly hoping that this will be like the drama on tv, where the guy chases after the girl, to explain whats really going on. But it isn’t a drama, as Taecyeon just stood there, dumbfounded by everything.

Taecyeon couldn’t move. He wanted to, but he was afraid of it, he was somehoe afraid of Yoona, afraid of his past. So he just plant his feet to the ground, not moving. But his eyes just stared at the empty space Yoona left. He needed to tell, but he wasn’t ready. He wanted to talk, but he’s afraid that when he does, Yoona would hate him.

“Taecyeon, do you want a drink?” Eunjung suddenly unhooked her arms and stood in front of him. He was caught by surprise so she asked him again. “Do you want a drink. Seemed like you could use one.”

“Yeah,” Taecyeon shook his head. “Vodka, on the rocks.” He looked down. Eunjung left him stood there contemplating on what to do next.

Junsu looked around, the band is nearing to show. “The orchestra is starting.”

“I’ve never really hear live orchestra before. Well, if you exclude weddings anyway,” Jessica smiled.

“Well, here one to show you,” Junsu was pleased that she was excited about it. “I wrote the piece by the way.”

“Really! Wow! That’s really great!” Jessica smiled big, and for someone who gave a cold first impression is actually naturally genuine when she smiled. He liked that.

“Its nothing compared to...” before he finished his sentence, suddenly a glass of drink splashed onto Jessica’s dress. Everybody in the hall was shocked. Whats more shocking to Junsu, it was Eunjung that splashed the drink.

“Are you nuts!” Junsu held Eunjung’s arms. “Why the hell did you do that for?”

“She likes him too. She’s trying to steal Taec away from me,” Eunjung said coldly, being reminded of how hurt she felt when she saw Taecyeon with Jessica before. She looked at Jessica and smirked. “You really looked good with all those poured vodka on you, .”

Taecyeon pulled Eunjung from behind and without notice, he just drags her out of the museum.  

Jessica didn’t understand anything, everything rans too fast in her mind. Junsu immediately took off his blazer and put it on her. “I’ll take you home.”

“But the orchestra...”

“It can wait, okay,” Junsu ignored all the staring and pulled Jessica out of there. He even passed Hyori, who was somehow unsatisfied with the whole situation.

-

Yoona left the restroom to find her way back. She sighed, she didn’t know what was wrong with her. But somehow, in the deep thoughts on everything while looking at herself in the mirror that was in the hallway, she finally admits, she liked Taecyeon. She always did anyway when she was younger. Taecyeon was caring, and was always there to cheer her up. Taecyeon could never hurt her, maybe that is why she was so attached to him even if she only met him again for awhile.

But then her thoughts were interrupted by a scene that could very much likely change her views on Taecyeon forever.

“Are you crazy?” Taecyeon and Eunjung reached the empty hallway in the building.

“I am. For you,” Eunjung pushed Taecyeon to the wall. “You can’t like her. Not that girl.”

Taecyeon pushed her away. “Jessica is my colleague at work for good’s sake. I don’t like her.”

“But she likes you, and if you don’t like her, she should stay away from you,” Eunjung tried to push back but Taecyeon was too strong for her.

“I don’t like you either, then you’ll have to stay away from me too,” Taecyeon stepped up. He admits, he was crazy to be linked to this girl.

“Why are you so defensive with her?!” Eunjung was confused. She did the same thing before which had the girl running away and Taecyeon stayed solemn. But why is he all defensive and mad now?

“I’m not defensive of her. I just think you ran out of the line here,” Taecyeon pulled Eunjung away from him. “I think you should stop coming to my house.”

“What?” Eunjung was shocked. “You don’t want me anymore? Is that what you’re saying?”

“No.” It was firm.

Eunjung was shocked, she was losing him, she was losing the love of her life. She could only slowly back away, and walked out on him.

Taecyeon sighed, he had to end it in a harsh way after all. He turned back and he saw a tiny girl in a white dress looked over at him, Im Yoona was watching him as though he was a stranger.

“Yoona?” did she heard everything? “Um.. I.”

“I’m sorry, oppa,” Yoona blurted out.

“For what?” Taecyeon was confused.

“For asking you about Chaerim the other day. I am a stranger to you after all,” Yoona forced a smile. “I mean we might be childhood friends and I might still keep that plush pendant you gave me, but we’re both two different people now. To be honest, I thought I fell for you when I met you again, but I didn’t fell for you. I fell for the young kid named Ok Taecyeon, the oppa who always played with me, the oppa who didn’t have a secret he’s holding deep down.”

“Yoona..” Taecyeon started.

“And now you, I don’t know you. You dismissed girls so easily. You knew Jessica liked you but you just bailed before giving her a chance to know you. You dismissed that girl just now just like that,” Yoona suddenly had tears in her eyes. She knew this talk wasn’t just about Taecyeon anymore, its deeper. It reminded her of the mother that left her. “I hate it when people dismissed others like they weren’t human beings. How cruel.”

“Yoona, its not...” Taecyeon was speechless. Was he really that mean?

“I don’t want to know you,” Yoona wiped her tears away. “I’m sorry oppa, but I don’t want to know such a cruel person.” Yoona turned around and started to walk away, but Taecyeon pulled her arms and turned her into his arms.

Yoona felt his warm broad chest, but she hates it, and she tried to push him away. Taecyeon won’t let go, he held her tightly.

“Don’t let your ego run high,” Taecyeon laughed sadly. “You don’t know anything. You don’t even know what I’ve been through, so don’t go high and mighty judging me like that.”

Yoona was shocked to hear those words.

“Hate me all you want now, but I promise you this,” Taecyeon pulled her tighter. “I’ll tell you about Chaerim when I’m ready. When my heart doesn’t bleed anymore, when I finally let her go. I may go around dismissing people as I please and this may sound selfish and ironic, but...” he took a deep breath. “Don’t give up on me just yet.”

Yoona was speechless. She was quiet, because all she could feel right now is tears flowing, and without knowing, her arms draped around him, and all could do is cry on his shoulders.

-

“Thank you for taking me back,” Jessica smiled to Junsu. They are in her apartment now.

“Sorry but that crazy girl is, well crazy,” Junsu thought of what Eunjung said about Jessica liking Taecyeon. He just had to ask. “Jessica, um do you... I mean are you in...”

“Yes?” Jessica smiled politely, and Junsu liked that smile.

“Do you like Taecyeon?” Junsu asked finally. Without an answer, he knew he was right by seeing her blush. He didn’t know why that realization hurt a bit. He always liked Taecyeon as his best friend, and he didn’t need a reason to hate his friend.

“Yes,” she answered simply. Junsu nodded, like its a fact. “But I’m trying to get over him to be honest.”

“Why?” this was a surprise.

“I know when people don’t return my feelings,” Jessica sat on the sofa next to him. “I don’t know how to read him that well, but I think I should know when he’s not returning my feelings. I mean I watched him quite a lot in the office and gave him all this signals cosmo taught me.” Jessica was suddenly very open and Junsu had to chuckle on that. “Nothing worked and he never really looked at me. Like he looked at you or Yoona.”

Junsu had to laugh a bit. “I’m pretty sure Taecyeon is not in love with me, okay.”

“No, I mean, its different when you are looking at someone very important to you. You’re important to him, just like Yoona, and he sees you differently. Trust me, he never gazed at me like I am an important person to him. I’m just his colleague, starting to be a friend now,” Jessica smiled. She was sad, but very accepting.

“I’m sorry he hurt you,” Junsu had to say this.

“No. I’m glad though, it would hurt more if it goes further,” Jessica smiled. “I didn’t get a boyfriend out of him, but I got an American friend at least. Plus, I got to meet you. And your music piece on the Jazz Bar near here, it’s amazing.”

“How did you know?”

“I went there with Taecyeon and he told me about it. When we went out, he talked a lot about you, you know,” Jessica said. “He really looks up to you, you know. And he’s really proud of you.”

Then Junsu suddenly remembered a fragment of memory.

Flashback

“I can’t believe you don’t have a stable girlfriend,” Taecyeon suddenly interrupted Junsu’s composing. “I mean you don’t seem like the type you know.”

“What type, really,” Junsu asked boringly.

“Me,” Taecyeon laughed a bit. “At least the type that I am now.”

“You’re not that bad you know. You just need the right girl. Not just y and hot like Yubin was,” he could feel Taecyeon sneered behind him. “You needed more, and trust me, you deserved more.”

“Thanks,” Taecyeon smiled.

“Hey, I’m curious, what type of girl would suit me really?” He turned his chair towards Taecyeon. Taecyeon stayed silent. “Is it that hard?”

“You know what,I’ll tell you if I meet her. I mean, you’re not really an easy guy to be with,” Taecyeon halfway joked.

“Thanks a lot man,” Junsu turned back to his computer.

“But seriously, if I meet her, I’ll bring her to our house, introduce you guys, and then its all you,” Taecyeon tapped Junsu’s back.

-

“Sorry you didn’t get to bang another girl today.”

 “She’s Yoona’s friend. I can’t sleep with her. Besides, she’s not my type.”

Junsu was a perplexed. Since when does Taecyeon has a type. Women is his type. Junsu replied back. “You sure? Because I saw her, she’s pretty cute.”

The reply was even more odd. “You date her then.”

End flashback

So the reason he brings Jessica to their home before, wasn’t for , it was to introduce her to Junsu. Taecyeon found a girl that was suitable for Junsu, and he could only laugh at how his friend knew him that much.

“Cheh, stupid jackass,” he said under his breath. With that, Junsu knew, he never have to hate his friend.

Junsu went home, hoping to say sorry for the way he acted before. He saw Taecyeon sitting on the table, as always looking through the picures of him and Chaerim. But today was a bit different as he saw Taecyeon taking some pictures off the album.

“What are you doing?” Junsu saw how Taecyeon took all Chaerim’s pictures out. From one picture to another.

“I would like Yoona to know her. Its the least I could do to tell her bits of Chaerim. It’s a start right?” Taecyeon looked around for more pictures. “I promised her.”

Junsu smiled. “You found the girl you needed?”

“What?”

“Yoona. She’s the girl that you deserved,” Junsu said.

Taecyeon chuckled a little. “No, Yoona is a friend. A very precious friend.”

“Don’t you like her, like even a bit?” Junsu had to ask.

“Of course. She’s a great person to be with,” Taecyeon took another album out.

Junsu was shocked. “Taec, you deserved to be given a second chance in love.”

“I know that,” Taecyeon looked down. “But I can’t hurt anyone anymore. I won’t allow that and I won’t make myself hurt Yoona.”

“By what? Surpressing your feelings?” Junsu was perplexed by this.

“Trust me, I only see her as a friend, and the only way I can keep her around is by being a good friend to her,” Taecyeon looked around. He sounds convincing but only Junsu knew, Taecyeon was denying everything. Taecyeon was scared to be in love again, the feeling to lose someone again brings him so much pain.

“Taec, don’t force yourself,” Junsu was really worried.

“I’m not forcing anything,” Taecyeon took out all Chaerim’s picture and he had to smile to each of it.

“Taec, look at me,” Junsu forced his friend to look at him. “Just promise me, if you ever feel anything for any girl, like love, don’t deny it.”

Taecyeon was a bit surprised by Junsu’s speech. “Okay, I promise.”

And Junsu also knew when Taecyeon was lying.

To Be Continued.

Sorry for the late update again! Architecture students are sure busy!

Anyway, enjoy. Teukie is not in for a bit, but he will in the next one, and SPOILER, he will bring trouble to Taecyoon. ;p