An Angel Who Will Protect

Can an Angel Mend a Devil's Heart?

Chapter 1 - An Angel Who Will Protect

  Jiyong was heading to school. It was a new year and his last for high school. Usually, he would be excited, wanting to know what Class he would have and hoping it would be the same as Seunghyun. But now that Seunghyun was gone, there’s no need for high hopes.

  As he was nearing the school, a shiver went down his spine. He had a bad feeling today but he didn’t know what it was. He had this feeling before Seunghyun’s death. He even warned him but he didn’t listen. Jiyong wondered why that feeling was coming back.

  At the gates of the school, he spotted Bom speaking to Dara with disparity clear on her face. She wanted her friend back but she was no longer part of this world. Bom continued to talk looking more frustrated and worried with each word. When she realized Dara wouldn’t speak to her, she gave up and stood still as Dara continued to walk.

  Jiyong felt a pain in his heart. He didn’t want to see Dara like this. This was worse than being the Devil he thought she was. He didn’t like the fact that she wouldn’t speak to anybody. Ever since the death of Seunghyun, it was as if she was ghost. People felt a presence but she wasn’t exactly there.

  He sighed and went up to Bom. “Good morning.”

  There was pain in her eyes. When she saw Jiyong, she managed a weak smile but tears brim her eyes. “I don’t know what to do,” she started. “I-I can’t bring her back anymore.”

  Jiyong bowed his head. “Don’t give up.”

  She bit her lip. “I’m not but I can’t reach her. She’s not listening to me. Can you help me?”

  His eyes fell. He would like to, but he knew she wouldn’t talk to him. If her best friend can’t reach her, then how can a guy she barely knew save her? “I-I don’t know.”

  “Please Jiyong. You’re my second choice. I like Seunghyun more but I know you can also bring the real Dara back. I could see when she was around you two, she showed various emotions. Please, this is all I’m asking. You don’t need to go out with her. I just want you to comfort her.”

  Jiyong thought for a moment. His heart screamed to help Dara but his mind refused. In his mind, he was afraid of her like in the past. He was afraid she would get worse if he spoke to her. “I’ll think about it.” With those words, he walked away.

  As usual, he had to check what class he had. The moment he neared the board, Dara had left and was heading to her room. He watched as she walked with an unapproachable presence. Other students were staring, too but other than saying things like they have in the past, they stayed silent and shrugged it off.

  Jiyong pushed through the group of students and searched for his name. He checked in the B Class since he was there last year, but he wasn’t on the list. Maybe I failed my test. After all, I wasn’t feeling so good after Seunghyun’s death. He checked the C Class, but he didn’t see him name there either.

  What the hell? He skimmed through the lower grades, but still didn’t see his name. His heart stopped as he went through the A Class and there was his name: Kwon Jiyong in bold letters. Whoa… I made it… He wasn’t as excited as he would be for Seunghyun was no longer here. That one year where they could have been together was ruined.

  He sighed in disappointment. Then a pang of realization hit him. He skimmed the list one more time. Park Sandara. There she is. He thought to himself and smiled slightly. Jiyong wondered if he should actually talk to her since they were now in the same class.

  What about Bom? He looked through the list one last time and saw Bom’s name above Dara’s. However another name stood out in the list. His eyes widened as he read the name over and over. No… It can’t be. It can’t be him, can it?

_____

  Jiyong arrived at his classroom and saw Dara sitting at the far corner of the classroom. He needed to be his cheerful self. Maybe that could pull a trigger.

  Slowly, he strode towards Dara with a huge smile plastered on his face. It was completely convincing to everyone around him except himself. To him it felt like an awkward smile. “Hey, Dara!” He exclaimed and waved. “Guess what! I’m in the class, too!”

  Dara glared at him. Like she cared…

  He laughed nervously and scratched the back of his head. “Ah… Well, is anybody sitting next to you?”

  Her eyes left him and she didn’t say a word.

  Jiyong was about to sit down but realized Seunghyun had sat next to her last year. He was hesitant but he didn’t want to sit in front of her because that would be hard to talk to her. Plus he didn’t want him to be anywhere near Dara. Hopefully Bom would be here early enough to choose the seat in front of her.

  “So… How was your vacation?” Jiyong continued.

  Nothing.

  He chewed his bottom lip. This was harder than he thought. “Uhm. Hey, Bom is also in our class! Aren’t you excited to see her again?!” Jiyong was trying hard to make her speak or smile or something. He needed a response.

  “So, do you think our homeroom teacher will be mean or-”

  “Just shut up.” Dara grumbled.

  Jiyong closed his mouth. Aish this girl! This time he completely forgot about his doubts with bringing Dara back. He wanted her back. His heart was in pain seeing her like this. Being the stubborn, persistent guy he was, he crossed his arms over his chest and puffed his cheeks. “I’m just being friendly! C’mon, we’re friends!”

  “Who said you were my friend? You’re the one who declared it last year. I didn’t even accept it,” she spat.

  This time he couldn’t take it. Just when he was about to burst, Bom came up to them and said, “Good morning you two.”

  “Good morning,” Jiyong greeted even though he did it earlier.

  Dara’s eyes trailed. “Good morning, Bom,” she said weakly.

  Bom sat in front of her like last year. She smiled slightly and faced the front. She already said what she wanted to say to her this morning and there was nothing else to say. Usually there would but not this time.

  Jiyong hated the sight. He hated how two best friends are now distant and awkward towards each other. He would never want to be like that towards Seunghyun. Even when he started dating Dara, Jiyong still acted like his childish self.

  He didn’t say anything but it was killing him! He could never acknowledge silence! There has to be something to break this tension. Getting irritated, he yelled. Everyone in the room had his attention. They were giving him weird looks like, “What the…” He didn’t care because he grabbed both Dara’s and Bom’s attention. “Yah! You two should at least talk to each other! I mean, you two are best friends for Pete’s sake! How can you live not talking to your best friend?!”

  Bom had tears in her eyes which caused her to face the front again.

  Dara’s gaze went to the back of Bom’s head but she was expressionless.

  Jiyong sighed and burned red from rage. Girls are definitely confusing to him. They were just so dramatic! He gave up and rested his head on his desk. Aish… How am I going to bring Dara back if she’s not even opening up to Bom anymore! AH! He raised his head. Don’t give up, Jiyong! You got this! He turned to Dara who was now staring out the window. Ah! What am I going to say to her?! Jiyong panicked as he thought of things to say to her but nothing came into his mind. So frustrating… He scratched his head as his face twisted while he was thinking.

  “You never change, do you, Jiyong?” A deep voice came next to him.

  He froze, his hand still on his head, as he recognized the voice. So it was him. Hesitantly, he turned his head towards the voice and instantly saw that playful smirk. “Seunghyun.”

  Dara’s head perked up, eyes wide. She turned to the boy, but was completely disappointed. Her eyes fell as her depression sank back in.

  This Seunghyun continued to smirk at Jiyong. “You know I don’t like going by Seunghyun.”

  I don’t like it either because it’s the same name as my best friend. Jiyong snorted. “What are you doing here, Seungri?”

  “What do you mean? I attend here!” He answered as if it was the most obvious thing.

  He narrowed his eyes. So this was what my chill was telling me. He’s here. “You know what I mean.” He hated him. He hated Seungri because he was the rudest guy he have ever met and disliked Seunghyun for having the same name. It was such a stupid reason.

  “Come on, Jiyong! Are you still mad at me because of the past? That was years ago! I changed! Everyone changes!”

  “Yeah, I know, but I don’t think you’ll change.”

  Seungri looked at him incredulously. “You know it’s bad holding grudges. What do I need to do to gain my trust for you?”

  Jiyong rolled his eyes.

  Seungri could never get his trust for he lied constantly in the gang. When something bad happens, he would point a finger at Seunghyun, knowing he wouldn’t argue. Jiyong hated that and would protest, but Seungri was more convincing. He was smart and rich, but a total jerk. It was a horrible combination.

  Seeing Seungri wouldn’t get Jiyong’s attention that way, he looked at Dara. “Now who is this pretty lady?”

  Dara knew he was talking to her but had no response.

  “Is this your girlfriend?” Seungri asked Jiyong.

  Dara’s heart skipped a beat.

  Jiyong’s eyes widened as he began blushing. “N-No!”

  Seungri smirked. “Good. She seems too pretty for you anyways.”

  He glared.

  He playfully laughed. “I’m just kidding! You’re handsome, but not as handsome as me,” he joked, cockily.

  Jiyong sneered. Why can’t he just bug off?

  “Anyways, we get to choose our seats, right?”

  “No.”

  “Then why are you sitting here and there’s no teacher or seating chart.”

  Why does he ask so many questions?

  Seungri sat at the desk next to Jiyong and leaned near his ear, whispering, “Since that girl isn’t your girlfriend, can we switch seats so I can get to know her?”

  He’s still that same flirt. And he even said he changed! Jiyong snorted, “No.”

  Seungri shrugged. “Have it your way then.” With that, he left him alone.

  Jiyong constantly took a glance at Seungri as he continuously looked around the room. Not once did he glance at Dara which was strange because he would usually be making his move. He must have known Dara is unapproachable and out of his league. There’s no way she would open up to him! Jiyong laughed silently to himself, but stopped. He realized Seungri was a trickster and good one.

  He took another glance.

  This time Seungri saw him and smiled.

  Jiyong sneered and faced the front. There’s no way Dara will fall for a guy like him! She’ll never get a chance to be with him. I won’t allow it.