Chapter 4

My Billion Dollar Man {HIATUS}

The next morning, Myungsoo had no choice but left to the mansion with Yongguk and they arrived in half the time it took Youngjae yesterday.

A smile graced his lips as he saw Dongwoo led yet another yoga session in the front lawn with Sungjong and Sungyeol. Apparently, Kai really almost broke Sungjong’s right hand, it was bandaged.

“Breathe in the morning air,” Dongwoo instructed

“Hyung, we want to learn tai chi today,’ Sungyeol complained. Sungjong waved at Myungsoo when he saw him

“Morning hyung!” he greeted cheerfully “Hoya-hyung is inside with Woohyun-hyung. I think they’re waiting for you,” he informed, Myungsoo nodded and slowly went to open the door. It was quiet until he heard a ruckus in the direction of the kitchen; he opened the door wider in shock as Woohyun’s loud cry was heard all the way out

LEE SUNGYEOLLLLLL I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!

Myungsoo turned back and almost had a heart attack as Sungyeol poked his head from behind him

“He said my name right?” the red-haired asked but before Myungsoo could answer, Woohyun came running at them making Sungyeol eyes widened and formed into an ‘o’ before he took off running flailing his hands in the air.

“Aaaaaahhhhh, save meee!” Woohyun jumped on Sungyeol’s back letting out a victorious shout

OFF WITH THE HEAD!” The older yelled, trying to strangle Sungyeol while trying to keep his balance since Sungyeol was not doing well trying to not fall over either. Woohyun wrapped his legs around Sungyeol’s waist right when Sungyeol slipped and fell on the grassy lawn and both rolled on the ground apparently still fighting.

Woohyun was on top trying to strangle Sungyeol who flipped him, struggling to get Woohyun’s hands off him while screaming at the top of his lungs “Help, help his greasy hands are molesting meeee ooooohhhh, hyung watch it watch it I’m still !”

my !” Woohyun shouted

“Yah Mr Nam Woohyun, Lee Sungyeol! Are you ing in my garden? Did I give you permission to do that?” Mrs Lee was suddenly at the front door, one hand on her hip while the other adjusting her thick glasses. Both of the men froze as everybody else snickered loudly.

The two got up and bowed their heads, holding their hands as Mrs Lee scolded them for a good five minutes before turning and asked Sungjong to take his hyungs to breakfast. Mrs Lee ordered Hoya and Myungsoo to go up in her office first and joined the others for breakfast later

As soon as Mrs Lee was seated Hoya told her that he could begin the test soon. Myungsoo just sat confused as the two conversed seriously, completely neglecting him until finally Mrs Lee nodded and asked him to leave

“You know I’m hiring you to be Sungjongie’s bodyguard right? Well that is if you pass Hoya’s test. Any other things you’re good at? I’m thinking that I like you to be Sungjongie’s tutor. Teach him how to be a real man. My Jjongie…he’s a delicate boy and I want him to grow into a beautiful man under your guidance.”

Myungsoo blinked he did not know how to respond to that.

“Teach him anything you know…art, wrestling in the mud…,” Myungsoo coughed “Well that’s thanks to those two idiots, it just popped into my head…I mean teach him anything a guy would do. You’ll know what I mean after you properly get to know my son. Here’s the key to the house and another one for your room here, your roommate will be Hoya. I’ll pay for both of your jobs.  Don’t worry if you fail Hoya’s test, I still want you to teach my son,”

He went down to find that almost everybody had finished their breakfast and the ones left were Sungjong and Sunggyu who were staring at a cupcake.

“Jjongie you need a lot of zinc, Woohyun said zinc,” Sunggyu started

“Hyung, I want that pleaseeee,” came the reply “I haven’t really had an appetite for anything but that look so sweet,” Sungjong’s tone was even more adorable.

“Aha! You always say that but it ends up with you only taking a bite then throwing them away, and don’t give me that pout. Geez, please don’t hang out with Woohyun anymore. He’s a bad influence!” at first Myungsoo felt awkward, he thought Sunggyu was being harsh. “Here, let’s divide this into two,” he picked up a knife and cut it in the middle.

“Yay, cupcake cupcake!” however the celebration was short-lived, Sunggyu’s prediction was dead right. Just after taking a bite, Sungjong’s expression was that of a massive disappointment. He stood up and stomped to a dustbin in the corner, kicking the large bin venomously before throwing the cupcake in fury. He washed his hands not even flinching when he got his right hand bandages wet and left clearly frustrated.

Sunggyu called Myungsoo to sit beside him “Don’t mind him, he’ll get around eventually. It’s always like that,” Myungsoo wanted to ask more but he knew he would end up making it more awkward then it already was. He was not really good with starting conversation with someone who looked as serious and strict as Sunggyu.

Sunggyu revealed that he was somewhat related to Sungjong, reiterating a few times that he was not to be mistaken as an employee and to address him respectfully. After that, he told Myungsoo to introduce himself properly. “Are you part of a gang?” Sunggyu suddenly narrowed his eyes in suspicion, scrutinizing Myungsoo’s appearance. The latter felt very self-conscious, shaking his head and hating that he had no good clothes to wear.

Myungsoo ate everything on the table to make himself feel a little better. The other man was not so considerate however, as he inquired again “so how do you know how to fight?”

“I…I used to take a few karate lessons,” Myungsoo answered curtly, feeling the familiar dark clouds of anger forming.

“A few…mind elaborating on that?” before Myungsoo could answer, Hoya entered the dining room. Myungsoo felt relieved as a smiling Hoya took an apple from the refrigerator, washed it then signaled to Myungsoo to follow him. He left Sunggyu frowning gladly.

Hoya was a man who could only be described as cool, “I’m Sungjong’s favourite hyung, Hoya. I’m also his twenty-eight personal fitness trainer,” he added “What did Sunggyu do to Sungjong earlier by the way? He always comes running to me or Dongwoo-hyung when that happens but I told him I had to work with you,”

Myungsoo explained and Hoya nodded neglecting to comment further as he led him to the basement. Seriously, his curiosity was not dampened. Lay said Sungjong was not spoiled; well he implied that he wasn’t but as far as he could see, it showed otherwise.

“You barely passed,” Mrs Lee glowered at him as he was yet again found himself in her office

“I’m out of practice ma’am. I can do better,” Myungsoo calmly said. If there was anything he was good at, it was that- convincing people with his good looks- really, Nam Woohyun could do it with his aegyo, what’s wrong with using the little blessing from God to use anyway. He straightened his posture and made sure a little smile graced his lips. Mrs Lee blinked.

“Zi Tao will be here next Saturday, after he is done with the matters regarding Sungjongie’s attacker he can give you a few pointers,” catching Myungsoo’s reaction, she raised an eyebrow “Oh, you don’t think I’ll let someone who attacked my child go?” an evil smile made Myungsoo did a double-take “I have the best lawyer here, Kris and an expert in beating up people. Why not use them for the sake of my beloved son?”

“Then why do you not use him as Sungjong’s bodyguard?” Myungsoo asked

“That my dear you will have to find out yourself, call Jongie in will you?”

He found him in the living room; Sungjong was apparently back to being super hyper, hugging Dongwoo and joking with Sungyeol who was massaging Hoya’s biceps

“Look at that, do it again!” Sungyeol’s eyes were wide as he poked it again. Woohyun was sitting cross-legged on the floor beside Hoya being ignored as he tried to tug Sungyeol’s sleeve, pouting while Sunggyu laid his head on his thigh and seemed to be sleeping.

“Sungjong, your mom called you,” Myungsoo told him, holding his hand out to the man, smiling. Sungjong put his good hand in his and Myungsoo gently pulled him up.

It was ten more minutes before Sungjong got out and raced to where Myungsoo was chatting with the others. The young man jumped up and down as he squealed “Yeay, let’s go to the beach now, I want to celebrate my new employee hyung, when’s your birthday hyung?” he turned to Myungsoo excitedly

“emmm March the thirteenth,” Myungsoo answered hesitantly.

“Okay, you’re my thirteenth tutor. Every time you introduce yourself to someone of employee potential you must say that” Sungjong ordered, he saw that Myungsoo was still confused “It shows that you are mine, mwahahahahaha,” he cackled

“I say devil, you say horns,” Sungyeol grimly said,

“Yah, why are you stealing my trademark?” Hoya complained but the way he did it was cool. Dongwoo was also jumping up and down enthusiastically, holding hands with Sungjong.

The beach, the beach, the beachhhhhh,” he shouted eagerly “Let’s race to the front door, who’s last must treat us to ice-cream and sing on the stage at the beach off-tune….”the blue-haired Dongwoo shot past them as soon as his last words left his mouth. Sungyeol was even faster as he was standing next to Dongwoo before that, Sungjong followed suit, pulling a still confused Myungsoo by his hand and dashed to the door with Hoya right at their heels. Woohyun pushed Sunggyu none so gently and darted to the door leaving a still disgruntled Sunggyu on the floor

“I hate these kids,” he groaned and slowly made his way out the door where five men were chanting jovially:

“Grandpa Gyu, Grandpa Gyu, Grandpa Gyu!” Myungsoo grinned widely as the five men hollered more insults at the oldest men there. The man glowered especially at Sungjong who looked super happy to finally have a chance to poke fun at the man.

They waited until Kai and Yongguk arrived, the former on his bike and the latter with the taxi. Hoya hopped on with Kai while the others piled into the taxi. Sungjong sat at the front, chatting animatedly with Yongguk who actually was a very quiet person.

When they arrived, Dongwoo got out and was still being hyper. He ran around in small circles and shouting “Dongwoo wants ice-cream!” in three languages with huge goofy grin lighting up his whole face

Hoya who arrived earlier was basking in the sun like a boss, waiting for them. Woohyun pulled a lethargic Sunggyu out of the car and Myungsoo got out last. He thanked Yongguk who nodded and drove off full speed, tires squealing loudly.

Sungjong was crouching on the sand peering into a deep hole, Myungsoo made his way over to him “What are you doing?”

“Dongwoo-hyung told me that I need to surround myself with things I like to make me feel better,” he answered and pointed to the sands “I’m waiting for the little crabs living in there to greet me,” he said seriously “they’re my friends”

Myungsoo chuckled at the look on his face, he put his hands around the boy’s shoulders affectionately “why don’t you get ice-cream? I’m sure you’ll feel better. I see Dongwoo-hyung running to the ice-cream truck over there,” he informed, out right laughing as Dongwoo danced around as he waited in the line full of eager children, his blue-hair and considerable height stood out amongst the crowd of kids.

Sungjong stood up but he did not look any happier, he smiled at Myungsoo and tugged his hand. The older man was confused and his previous amused smiles slipped after watching Sungjong’s reaction. “I feel like walking, Hyung let’s go over there,” they walked in silence, Myungsoo was perplexed by the younger’s mood swings. He thought about trying to initiate conversation but decided against it, everybody said he was bad at communicating with people, he was actually afraid to offend Sungjong more if he tried.

“Hyung, let’s go to that stall over there,” suddenly the boy next to him looked excited. Myungsoo saw the stall he pointed and immediately frowned, there were many people crowding there. Scratch that, women seemed to be flocking the stall and Myungsoo really didn’t want to go there but one glance at his side, he surrendered with a barely audible huff.

“Hyung!” Myungsoo blinked as Sungjong began jumping up and down, he thought the young man was talking to him at first until he realized that he was looking in the direction of the stall. The women turned to him curiously as they got closer and Sungjong was calling out to whoever it was that was blocked by the ladies there.

“Weh, Jjongie?” A man with chubby cheeks and very fair complexion finally was seen, he was for the lack of a better word, cute and young. He looked very young. Next to him was another boy, it seemed had doe-like eyes and innocent face. They didn’t look a day older than Sungjong.

“Want to try our baozi Jjongie?” the first man excitedly asked, he smiled and Myungsoo thought he heard the woman beside him inhaled sharply and whispered to her friend giddily

“He’s sooo cute,”

“Xiumin-hyung, do you have any left?” Sungjong saw that really there were no buns on the table. Xiumin looked sheepish as he answered with

“Oh, there will be in a moment,” he went to the back and there was only the other man making cotton candies for the rest of the girls expertly

“Luhan-hyung, here’s my new friend Myungsoo-hyung,” Sungjong introduced with a smile, the other man nodded, biting his lips and the women surrounding them bursted into loud squeals, they were fanning themselves and trying to keep their voices but failed, Luhan blushed deep red

“He’s so so cute, I wanna marry him,”

“See, told ya he’s cute. Half an hour waiting for those baozis are worth it,” a woman spoke in low tones to her friend but it was still heard.

“I don’t understand,” Myungsoo murmured close to Sungjong. The latter grinned and told him that he would explain everything later.

Xiumin came out with two small paper bags and the smell of the buns made Myungsoo perked up. Xiumin chuckled as he saw the expression on Myungsoo’s face. Sungjong took both after paying him and asked for two cool can sodas from him as well.

They went to sit near a shady tree and the young man gave one of the paper bags to Myungsoo who was eagerly looking into the bag, took out a beautiful bun and happily took a bite of the deliciously hot stuff. Myungsoo was so immersed in enjoying the baozi –the little spice added in the centre was total heaven!-that he only realized Sungjong was not eating and was staring at him when he felt his gaze burned his sides

He turned expectantly to the boy who was wetting his lips and Myungsoo’s eyes widened and if he weren’t careful, he would choke on the bun. Sungjong chuckled seeing Myungsoo so flustered under his gaze

“I’ve never seen someone who takes so much pleasure in eating something, I-I kind of like it,” Sungjong blushed crimson as he shyly admitted this. Myungsoo tilted his head in wonder. He made sure he properly swallowed everything before he dared to ask

“Well why don’t you try?”

Sungjong’s face fell and Myungsoo hated himself, he really was socially inept and he seemed to always say he wrong things.

“Hyung…I, I can’t taste them…the food,” It was a barely audible whisper but Myungsoo caught it and he froze. “I have a taste disorder; actually…It’s not really that mind-scarring though I mean…I-I mean really it’s just a small matter, nothing that tragic…,’ Sungjong was stuttering and refusing to look up to the older man, with the way his hands slightly shook, Myungsoo knew it wasn’t an insignificant matter.

Myungsoo took Sungjong’s paper bag and took out his bun much to Sungjong’s surprise. Then, he divided it in two and held out one half to him. Sungjong was confused but as their eyes met, Myungsoo’s intense gaze softened

“The centre is very spicy but sweet,” Myungsoo scooted closer to the young man and break the baozi into one small piece and held it near the young man’s mouth. Sungjong complied hesitantly as he opened his mouth and carefully Myungsoo put it in his mouth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------