12

spring memoirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 12 – Our Becoming

 

(I U  / Lee Ji Eun)

 

 

The atmosphere was particularly upbeat and the air was a piece of flamboyant glow as I shuffled down the sidewalk with a rosy glaze at the sky above. The clouds above shifted with such lithe delicacy that I was convinced they were dancing like ballerinas: sky ballerinas, almost. I was on my way back from the grocery store nearby and it seemed like a nice time to let my imagination soar about.

 

It had been a good week so far – this blissful little spring break – the best actually this year. For once, I, Lee Ji-Eun could officially say that I had made a friend. It had been an uphill battle but I was pretty convinced that Suzy was warming up to me. Maybe my bubbly nature had frightened her in the beginning, but after our talk in the park, I think the previous walls of hesitation were shed.

 

As for my love life, well – at the moment it was the last thing I wanted to think about. I managed to avoid Wooyoung for the time being (which was pretty easy considered before I had memorized all his day’s locations) but it was a timeless tragedy, this pitiful situation that I trapped myself in. I didn’t want to avoid Wooyoung, truly, but I knew he probably detested me after our last crash-in (aka unfortunate encounter).

 

And just as I was about to cross the street, carrying on with my rather pleasant day, lightning struck my sunshine. There was Wooyoung, thee Wooyoung, who I would, on any normal day, be excited to see, but definitely not today, of all days. He was right now the other side of the street, fiddling with his phone like an adorable child – that I wanted avoid, yes, yes avoid (cue the frantic exclamation marks, thank you very much)

 

Fate really was an evil witch playing with my life.                                      {Curses}

 

I quickly turn the other way but it’s too late, he has already noticed me.

 

“Lee Ji Eun?” Wooyoung calls. In the corner of my eye, I can see him waving as he begins to cross the road.

 

So I let my fears take control of my brain and do the most instinct driven thing I can conjure up in the span of a few seconds: Run.

 

Run. Don’t look back and just run.  Repeat and rinse.

 

It happens that today luck is not on my side. In my arms are three hefty grocery bags loaded with ingredients for the baking event Suzy and I had planned previously. The bag of flour, egg carton, and milks jugs are taking a heavy toll on me right now.

 

As I make my great escape – shuffling away with a heaving breath - , Wooyoung quic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter