10

spring memoirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 10 – mere subtlety

(S u z y )

 

 

       I woke up at 8 am sharp, ate a small breakfast of shrimp chips that I had carefully hoarded under my bed along with an assortment of other small snacks that I would munch on in place of the daily ramyun my mother boiled, and changed into a decent outfit (beige blouse and a black pleated skirt that ran down to my knees). It was a routine that was embedded into my mental processing – an urge to at least seem presentable, not an eyesore to other’s eyes.

 

With Myungsoo’s guitar carefully swung behind my back, I tiptoed out pass my mother who was snoring on the couch beside her beloved television set.

 

I kept my head down most of the way, absorbent of the stares that drifted my way. My eyes shyly hid behind my long bangs and I tried my best to concentrate on each step I took.

 

Truthfully, I was a night owl. I went out at night when the sun sank down and the horizon was stained in a majestic splash of fragile orange, summery yellow, and soft red. Usually I blended in with the air, the dim light hid me from notice and the darkness was like an invisible mask I could slip under quietly.

 

But now in broad daylight, I felt exposed. A feeling I should long be used to, but never quite settled in. Other than the park, where I hid myself among the crowds of elders and children, I didn’t tend to go out much during the day.

 

I took a deep breath and kept on walking.

 

White house. By Rosemary Avenue. The one next to the pond. Be at the front doors. By 9am.

 

I arrived at a grand estate with white polished gates and golden hinges. I was speechless as I had never seen such a large house before. And with its extravagant décor and elegant feel, it perfectly matched Myungsoo’s I-am-superior-to-all personality.  

 

“About time” I looked up to see Myungsoo leaning by the door yawning “It’s 9:02. Your two minutes late”

 

“Close enough” I sigh

 

“Well anyways” I continue “Here is your beloved guitar”

           

            Myungsoo takes it from my hands and begins to walk back into the house without a further word.

 

            “Yah!”  I shout after him “Aren’t you at least going to say thank you?”

 

            “Yah!” he looks back at me and shouts with a smirk “Why should I say thank you, to you of all people?”

 

            I clench back a sharp retort and simply glare at him from my place. It’s been a long time since anyone has made me this angry. Weird boy.

 

            “You better not show up in front of my face again!” Myungsoo calls after me as I start to march away

 

            “No, you better not show up in front of my face or else I’ll throw you into the lake this time” I shout back

 

            “I hope you trip on your way back!” Myungsoo shoots back. I look back to see he is also smiling. I guess that’s his way of saying goodbye.  

 

            And just as I’m about to fire another comeback, the funniest of things happens: I trip on flower pot.

 

            “I wasn’t being serious….” Myungsoo mutters as he hands me a wet towel and large bandage for my bloodied knee. We’re in his kitchen right now and I’m slu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter