01

spring memoirs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 01 – Eyes of Midnight

Prelude

You had eyes of midnight; black and endless

I was in the middle of painting roses when I saw you. Your eyes were enchanting like the night sky; they twinkled like a star in the mindless universe. I was captured and speechless as my paintbrush dropped right out of my hand. It left a jagged line on the finished canvas and a crimson stain on my white dress. Later, I would hate you for this.

You walked by coldly, giving your surroundings an icy stare. It made my heart stop and my body was frozen in time.

To say the least, a lingering chill ran through my back. I couldn’t look away – no matter how much I tried – you had captured my heart and buried it in the graves within five seconds.

 

1, 2, 3 ,4 ,5. Just like that.

 

 

 

“Suzy!” a voice rings through my ears. I open my eyes to see Ji Eun peering at me from above.  

 

“This is the 5th time this week I found you napping under the cherry blossom tree and it’s only Tuesday!” she sighes, narrowing her eyes.

 

I yawned and shut my eyes again. Ji Eun responded with a kick to my leg. Though she was a small girl, I had learned never to underestimate her strength, especially her kicks.

 

“Oww!!” I leaped up, clutching my leg.

 

“No really Suzy, I’m worried about you!” Ji Eun cried. I was worried for myself too. Ever since I had seen that boy with those eyes of midnight in the courtyard, I couldn’t get any rest at night. It was as if he was haunting him – even in my meager sleep, I would even daydream about him. I hated it; I hated him. Who was he to mess with my mind?!

 

“I’m fine” I say because I’m always fine. I even give Ji Eun an enthusiastic nod and smile to go along with it. 

 

The truth is I don’t want to bother Ji Eun with my problems – I don’t want to bother anyone. She has her own things to worry about obviously, no need for mine. And some things are better left unsaid.

 

“Oh okay!” Ji Eun admittedly pipes up; my facade really works wonders. Her worries seem to disappear in a blink of an eye as she moves on to another topic. “Guess what?! I think Wooyoung finally noticed me today!”

 

“Aw really?” I smile. I guess I should be genuinely happy for her; Ji Eun has had a crush on Wooyoung ever since 4th grade when he moved to Busan (as so she told me). Though I don’t think he’s anything special (well actually I think he’s a bit full of himself, a huge narcissist, and a bit annoying – but I would never tell Ji Eun that), I promised to cheer her on in her one-sided love.

 

“Yup!” Ji Eun swoons “I accidently bumped into him and he looked at me!!!!”

 

“Congrats” I say though I know otherwise. Ji Eun is floating on clouds right now, the last thing I want to do is destroy her fluffy paradis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter