A Single Glance

HyunMin One-Shots

 

 

A Single Glance

"A single glance was all it took..."

 

She adjusted her cap to hide her hair and conceal her face from the people around her. She glanced around and saw a couple of people scrattered in the train flatform. Some were sitting in the corner waiting patiently while others were yawning where they stood.

She looked at her watch to check the time, it was 6:45am in the morning and that had her sighing, 'Fifteen more minutes till the train arrives....'

She looked around some more, sensing something omnimous in the air. She wrapped her coat tighly around her, wishing that it was enough to cover her and protect her. She then took her face mask from her bag and put it on her face, her gut feeling telling her that precautions were needed now more than ever.

She checked the time again, each seconds that passed by seemed to run like forever.'Still 6:49am...'

She wished the train to arrive sooner than later, she really had to escape Seoul, 'This is the only way I know to save my own sanity.'

She glanced toward the north, the direction from which the train she was boarding would come. It seemed like the so-called 'fastest moving train in Seoul' was moving in a turtle's phase. 

A strong wind blew by and she could almost feel that coldness wash over her, it felt like the cold air originated from her Ice-castle-of-a-house she had called home.

she sighed remembering the cold house she had called home, by then, her it would in complete chaos having found that she is missing. There would be hell to pay for her disappearance. she didnt care and she wouldnt come back to catch that hell.

She shook her head trying to erase what ever feelings she has of the home that wasnt really her home. She knew that there was nothing and no one for her in Seoul -- no happiness, no friendship and no hope.

She turned her head to her side, and she saw a mother and daughter pair. They portrayed the mother and daughter relationship she has always seen on TV and paintings. she had always felt a pang of pain, envy and anger for such things. She was jealous of the girl who had a mother that cuddled her like apupppy. But she hated the fact that the girl had one and she didnt. She never had that and she never will.

She tore her eyes away from them as the signal for the train came.

The train came accompanied by a great gush of wind, making her hair that wasnt in her cap fly all overher face. She clipped those hair at the back of her ear as the entrance opened infront of her. A crowd of people came out and she bowed her head, careful to conceal her face.

She stood up, taking her bag with her and stayed within the line of the waiting area. 

Carefully she entered, she was one of the first to enter so she was able to pick the seat at the farthest corner by the window. It was the place where she could be alone and desolate from everyone. no one would bothere her there.

It was the start of her disappearance. and also the start of a new life.

She had carefully placed her bag beside her, securing it from any possible culprit. 

As she closed her eyes with relief washing her whole being at her newly acquired freedom, a voice came asking, "aghasshi..."

she stiffened dreading the worst, 'no dont tell me, they cant have caught up with me this soon.. '

She closed her eyes shut, praying to the heavens for this one chance of miracle, 'please, please no..... just this once, please.  just this once, grant me this wish...'

The voice continued to intrude, "uhhmmnn, aghasshi... Aghasshi?"

Finally, she brought open her eyes and relief came over her like a fountain of youth as she saw the person infront of her.

At a single glance, and she was mesmerized...

She also felt that the smiling guy infront of her could never be her father's men and the same friendly guy asked, "...uhhmnnn is it okay if I sit beside you?"

As relief came over her and new awareness plague her, she only ended up nodding in response. 

He smiled and replied, "Thank you very much..."

She nodded again. She couldnt trust herself from speaking other than a croak infront of him. She was that surprised at his appearance. and her heart started beating fast and hard.

Stealing another glance at him. She noticed how perfectly handsome his nose was -- pointed and elegant. she also observed how gentle and friendly the smile that emerge from his pinking and kissable lips. She directed her eyes next to how his jaw was gentle yet strong at the same time coupled with his smooth and silky looking face. But his perfection didnt stop there, the best of him was his eyes -- soulful, gentle, friendly and angelic.

He was just that, a pefect angel in her eyes...

He might have sensed her stares cause he suddenly looked back at her. Their eyes meet and he ended up smiling at her. She immediately withdraw feeling embarrassed at having been caught staring. as she looked away from her, she felt the warmness in her skin and she knew that the blush was running up her cheeks.

She then directed her gaze outside as the train moved. She wanted to so something else other than stare at the man next to her or be caught by him staring for that matter. she concentrated at watching the SEoul city she has known all her life.

They were leaving Seoul City and she watched the very familiar tall buildings, crowded streets, still closed large-scale malls and people walking busily being passed by like a fast forward movie.

She realized the enormity of the moment, 'That is the Seoul I am leaving behind..'

'Goodbye Seoul... Forever...' she thought, leaving a serene smile on her lips

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The middle day sunlight was hitting her cheeks. It was warm and bright at the same time.

But somehow the brightness and heat from the sun hitting her face wasnt what woke her up from her slumber. what woke her was an unusual feeling that seemed to jolt up from her. It was just a certain 'OFF' feeling. 

Opening her eyes, she saw that the train had stopped in one of the stations. she checked her watched at saw that it was just 8am, still a hour early for her for her train stop. she already slep for an hour.

She shook her head, trying to wash away her unbounded fears, 'They couldnt have known I am here... I made sure of that'

She glanced at her side and was surprised to see that the man beside her was still the same man who asked for the seat at Seoul station. she watched him now that his head was turned to something else infront. her earlier observation was correct and now looking at him at her leisure she can honestly admit, 'he really looks like a walking masterpiece, much like a michael angelo's david... he is like perfection...'

when he turned around, their eyes meet again, and like the first time she tried to hide from her embarrassment of being caught. But she stopped, seeing that his smiling eyes were gone replaced by that of pure determination and control.

they looked into each other eyes and she was surprised when he said, "Aghasshi, if you want to escape your father's clutches, you have to follow me..."

Shocked, she remained silent.

Shocked, her heart palpitated like she was having a heart attack.

Shocked, she just looked at this unknown stranger who had just told her of her worst fears...

Shocked, she realized that she was giving her a way out, an escape, and her freedom.

"Aghasshi, you need to decide now. Do you want to be brought back to Seoul or do you want to escape..?" he asked in a low tersely voice

and like her answer before, she only nodded.

he then grasped her hand and grabbed her bag on the other.

they stood up and she went to walk to forward, but he tugged at her to the back. silenly she followed him.

she didnt know why, she didnt know how and she didnt know when, but somehow she trusted him. And as she tugged her to where ever he directed her, she walked following him with out words...

they were at the back gate of the train, she was ready to get down but he tugged her to stop.

she looked at him and asked, "Waeyo..?"

HE brought his fore finger to his lips and said, "SsssssHhhhhhhhh..."

Her heart was palpitating more and more but somehow, with just a tug on her hand she followed him. Her breathing was getting more shallow and rapid, but somehow, with just a simple signal she followed him. Her mind was racing like a formula one car race but somehow, with his presence she felt calm.

She knew she should be scared and she knew she should be suspicous but somehow she was not. She knew he was a stranger but somehow with her hands enclosed in his, she felt like it was where her hands should be.

He then pointed to her right and as she looked, she almost screamed as she saw a very familiar face of one of his father's hechmen, Nam Gil. 

Coldness and fear came to her like the waves of a tsunamin on the shore -- it was fast, hard and scary.

She was easily convulsing in her own fear as she begged heavens, 'GOd dont do this to me... you gave me a way to escape but you are being cruel that you only gave me this one hour of freedom... please dont take it away...'

suddenly she felt his whole warmth as he enclosed her whole body in his in a hug, strangely the coldness slowly seeped out.

He whispered in her ears,"So min, dont worry, I will not let them get you..."

he tugged her hands again, and she followed him as he jumped out of the car. as they left the train, he lead her in running toward, outside and out of the station.

as she followed, she watched as though he ran with wing 'like an angel'

he then grabbed her and pulled her to a corner of an building which had her yelp, "What...!!"

like the last time he signalled her to keep quiet and she did.

she was seated with her back to the wall and her legs slumped in the ground. her hand was still locked into his and it felt strangely nice and weird.

she looked at him as he was kneeling infront of her. He still continued to look at the street, she suspected he is still checking if they were followed by her father's men...

his face was but a feet away from her, and from distance he could feel and see all of him. she let her hand crawl to his chest checking if like her it was beating like the drums.

She smiled feeling his heart beat strong and loud.

He then looked at her and she looked at him. they stayed in that position staring from each other. no more glances, no more stolen moments. they looked at each other like there was no tomorrow.

and as if a spell was casted on them, she was mesmerized out of her senses.

'he is so beautiful..'

"you are so beautiful..."

'he looked like an angel...'

"you are an angel.."

'he is my savior..'

"you know you saved me..."

his free hand then came up to her face, she took off the scarf and facemask covering her face and caressed her cheeks like a butterfly wings. and she answered by touching his chest up and down. 'he is so chiselled even through the clothes'

hmmnnn. . . . . .

she realized that though she was thinking all the words, he was actually the one speaking.

 

'he is so beautiful..'

"you are so beautiful..." he whispered again

'he looked like an angel...'

"you are an angel.." his voice lingered

'he is my savior..'

"you know you saved me..." he announced

he was talking about her. that had her asking, "ahhhh...?"

she realized she didnt know his name. or more for that matter she didnt know anything about him. that had her panicking, 'who is he, how could he know my name..?'

and as though he could hear her thought he asnwered, "I am Kim Hyun Joong?"

she still looked at him. a name doesnt explain anything. and he added, "I was one of your father's men..."

she caught her breath, 'no GOD dont be cruel this way. No, not him also...' fear and anger spiralling all over him at the cruelty of her situation. but his words had carried the truth.

she pushed him then but he wouldnt budge. She struggled to get away from him but she was trapped in his arms, as she screamed "no you.. let me go.."

"please aghasshi, please dont shout..." she pleaded

Now she didnt follow him. he was a devil, he was one of his father's men. she couldnt trust him. sna she despised him, she shouted for help,"Let me go bastard..."

she started to scream but it died down as his lips came down to her. it started rough with the purpose of subduing her and of controlling her. A kiss that seemed to devour her lips whole. a kiss that seemed to eat her lips, taking her every breathe until he was out of air.

but then shock came over her and she stopped struggling. The kiss became more gentle taking note of her unresistant manner. His lips slanted over her lips, biting a little hey upper lip then her lower lip. 

She sat in the ground unmoving and unreacting, his kiss became more persistent again. persistent but not devouring. persistent in a way that seemed to convey of a message of begging for forgiveness, begging for response, and begging for her to kiss him back.

and like the idiot that she was, quite innocently she responded. a kiss that seemed to sweep over her like a tidal wave. she had no way to escape, his kiss captivated her until there was no other thought on her mind but kissing him back.

the truth was suddenly forgotten, her anger thrown away. and all was left for her was kissing him back at the dark corner of an old building.

She didnt know how long they were at it, but when their kiss ended and their lips parted, all she could do was lean at the wall, close her eyes and breathe deep.

he placed his hands at the side of her face while looking at her. He explained, "I was one of your father's men. But not anymore. If you allow me, I would like to be your man..."

still with closed eyes, she asked him, "why? why did you forsake my father? you do know that he will haunt you down. And if he catches you he will make you suffer..."

"the reason i followed your father was because of you. with you gone I had no loyalty for him.." he said

she opened her eyes and looked at him, "why...?"

"2 years ago, I accepted work from your father because I needed the money but..." he brought his hands to her face again

"but...?" she asked softly, again mesmerized by whatever spell he casted on her again.

"but a single glance at you, and i knew that i had found my life's purpose. your father's money was nothing, i stayed for two years despite all the abhorent things your father did because you were there..."  he told her

"with you gone, nothing stops me from leaving." he added.

"its because a single glance at you and i knew that whatever it is you desire i would go to lengths to give you. a single glance at you and i knew that whatever made you happy, I will give you with all i have... and since it is your deisre to get away from your father, then i will grant you that freedom.." he annouced

he carresed her face, and his thumb touched her lashes gently, "A single glance was all it took for me to realize that you are the one. and now that I have you I will never let you go..."

warmth spread from her heart to her whole being. she then brught her hand to his nape and he huugged him.

as he hugged her back she knew that with the determinationa and strength she saw in his eyes, not even her father can part them. As she felt the warmth that was him, she knew that all her dreams were possible with him by her side.

as outside in the street chaos reigned while her father's men looked for her.

 

- the end -