Unexpected Phone Call.

Mistaken Faith [Sequel to Mistaken Happiness]

Months had flown by since So Eun and Kim Bum and came to this country. So Eun and Kim Bum had gradually become attuned to the new life. With the help of Joon, So Eun started to understand the information covered class, and had come to understand basic conversational English.

Early one morning, approximately five o'clock in the morning, So Eun's phone began ringing. She lazily grabbed her phone off the little table beside her bed, and answered with her eyes half closed.
"Hello?"
"So Eun?" She recognized the voice immediately, and realized the voice had been crying. It was her sister, Hye Sun.
"What's wrong? Why are you crying?" So Eun asked worriedly, as she sat up. Kim Bum had heard the phone ringing, and was woken by the noise. He walked to her room, and took a seat beside her on the bed.
"Mother...Mother..." Hye Sun mumbled.
"What happened?" So Eun asked impatiently, now that she knew something had happened to her mother.
"She fainted last night, and is still unconscious." Tears filled So Eun's eyes, dropping her phone on the bed; she buried her face in her hands, and cried. Kim Bum put his hand over her shoulder, and had her lean on him, in a way, comforting her. He picked up the phone with his other hand, and lifted it up to his ear. Hye Sun explained everything to Kim Bum, and after saying a few words, he hung up.
"Go pack your things; we're going back to Seoul." He stated, his voice was low and serious. So Eun nodded her head, and ran off to her closet, to pack her belongings.

Joon was tapping the tip of his pen impatiently as he waited for So Eun's arrival. So Eun would usually keep him company during class, but now that she wasn't here, he was bored. He sat there listening to the teacher's boring lectures on how they could become better people, and how we can help save our earth. Joon laid his head back, and closed his eyes. When is she going to come? He asked himself, as he drifted off to sleep. When the time for lunch had arrived, Joon got up from his desk, and after staring at So Eun's desk for a moment, walked out of the classroom towards the cafeteria. Where could she be? He thought. He decided to call her, and ask her, but in the end, found that her phone was turned off.

"Do you think she's going to be okay?" So Eun asked as she leaned her head on Kim Bum's shoulder. They were on the plane back to Seoul, Korea. So Eun knew that only in 13 hours, she would be able to see her family again, though she was afraid. She was afraid her mother may never be able to open her eyes again, and come back concious.
"She's going to be fine." Kim Bum assured as he leaned his head on hers. "I'll find the best doctors for your mother, I'm sure she'll get better soon." So Eun nodded. She assured herself that her mother was going to be alright, and nothing bad would happen. She just fainted merely because she didn't get enough sleep due to overworking.

"Is Miss Kim So Eun in?" Joon asked the security officer standing behind the desk. He decided to check if So Eun was home or if she was sick or not.
"Sorry Sir, neither she nor Mr. Kim Is in."
"Mr. Kim?" Joon asked in disbelief. Joon knew So Eun's father was dead, and had a sister, and a mother in Korea, but who was this Mr. Kim? Though he had met Kim Bum a few times, he knew He was So Eun's boyfriend, but why would they live together. To make sure, he asked the man "Is this Mr. Kim, Kim Bum?"
"Yes, that is correct sir." He took a deep breath, and slowly let it out. He was uncomfortable, though you can't really say angry. He had realized he began to develop feelings for So Eun the past few months, and now, he really had nothing at all to say.
"Thank-you." He said to the officer, and left.

"Mother!" So Eun screamed when they arrived in the little room her mother was staying in at Seoul Hospital. She didn't respond, and remained motionless. She kneeled beside the bed, and burst into tears. Kim Bum standing at the entrance of the room looked away. He didn't know of how to comfort her. He walked towards her, and put both his hands on her shoulder, and said:
"It's alright; she's going to be fine." So Eun still had tears streaming down her face, and told him:
"You know, I've always thought she wasn't important in my life, because she always seemed to love Hye Sun more, but today... I've realized I'm wrong, she's just as important to me, as anyone else I love in this world..." She buried her face on the edge of the hospital bed, and cried.
"So Eun!" Hye Sun screamed when she spotted So Eun. She was bringing in a glass jug of water, with Hyun Joong walking closely behind her. So Eun recognized the voice, and immediately looked up, and hugged Hye Sun as tightly as she could. "So Eun..." Hye Sun mumbled, "I missed you." Hye Sun's eyes became teary, she didn't see her for so long, and had missed her. Though it was only months since she had gone, it seemed like years for Hye Sun. Kim Bum walked towards Hyun Joong, and took the position beside him. He didn't want to spoil the reunion moment.
"I haven't seen you in a long time." Kim Bum stated.
"A very long time." Hyun Joong agreed. Kim Bum smiled, and said:
"How's your company doing?"
"It's alright, thanks to the money you gave us; we were able to revive it. We make more than we did before, I don't think you would have to give us any money in the future." Hyun Joong said jokingly.
"I'm sure I'm not going to give you anymore." Kim Bum said with a smile.

"Excuse me," The doctor said as he walked into the little room. "I've got bad news." So Eun and Hye Sun broke the hug slowly, they got up, and looked at the doctor, worried. Kim Bum and Hyun Joong gave their attention to the doctor also. "The report just came out, your mother has fainted due to high blood pressure. Unfortunately we've also found that she has a brain tumor." So Eun felt like she was about to faint, her mother, her healthy mother, with a brain tumor. She almost fell, when Hye Sun caught hold of her, and held her up. The doctor left the room not long after.
"How can something like this happen?" So Eun asked in disbelief. "Mother was so healthy before.. she..." She couldn't continue what she wanted to say, and instead looked at her mother's pale face. A tear fell down her cheek as she quietly scanned through the scarce memories she had with her mother.
"It's alright." Hye Sun comforted, "She's going to get better." Though she seemed confident that her mother would get better when she said something like this, her heart really told her that the chances of her mother getting better were very slim.
"I'll take you home." Kim Bum offered when they got ready to leave. So Eun shook her head, and said:
"You live very far from where I live, Hyun Joong would take me and Hye Sun home." Kim Bum agreed, and left.

It didn't take long for them to get back to the little house So Eun used to call home. She walked to her room as soon as they arrived, and sat down on the comfortable bed. She ran her hand over the blanket, and looked around that room to see if they made any changes, though she could find none. When she was about to sleep, her cell phone rung it’s familiar ringtone. She dug her hands in her bag, and lifted the phone to her right ear when she found it.
"Hello?"
"So Eun?" The voice had become familiar, and she had realized it was Joon right after she had heard the voice.
"Joon?" She asked in surprise.
"Where were you today? You weren't in when I went to your apartment... well.. Kim Bum and your apartment..." He said uncomfortably.
"I'm in Seoul right now, my mother fell sick..."
"Oh... Is she alright?"
"I don't know... Joon... I really want to sleep right now.. I'm very tired. Can we talk another time?"
"Alright." He agreed, and hung up.

He was in his room, running through the notes he had taken for her since she had come. He came across a picture of So Eun. He had secretly taken it with his phone a month ago, and had kept it to look at when he missed her. He held the picture on his chest, and closed his eyes. "I love you." He whispered. He put the picture back under the notes, and walked to the bathroom to get ready for bed.