Annoucement.

Mistaken Faith [Sequel to Mistaken Happiness]

            “Thank-you for coming.” Joon’s father said, as he greeted some of his business partners. They had just walked into the ballroom. Joon’s mother was beside his father, Joon and So Eun walked closely behind. Joon’s mother had bought So Eun a dress for this ball, and was preparing to announce the engagement between Joon and So Eun tonight. So Eun looked around the room, bored.

            “It may be a little rude, but what is there to do?” So Eun asked Joon.

            “Sit here… that’s the only thing we can do… other than eating, and dancing.” Joon replied.

            “Food…” So Eun mumbled. Her face began to lighten up, at the thought of food. Joon laughed. Not long after, she spotted a familiar boy and girl, arm in arm walking into the ballroom, Kim Bum and Michelle. “Why is he here?” She asked in shock. Joon shrugged.

            “I don’t know… he’s probably a son of the partners of the company…” He replied. So Eun looked up at him in disbelief.

            “I’m going to the washroom.” She left Joon, and walked to the washroom to freshen up. After she was finished, she walked outside into the hallway, only to see Kim Bum and Michelle. Michelle was standing against the wall, with Kim Bum leaned in close to her, as if he was going to kiss her. Her eyes filled with tears, and shook her head in disbelief. Kim Bum turned to look at So Eun, and smirked. Tears were flooding down her face now, and unable to face Kim Bum anymore, she left. Joon was wondering what was taking So Eun so long, so he decided to go outside and check. He only found Kim Bum sitting on the hallway all by himself. He was sitting on the wall Michelle was leaning on, just now. She had just left, and Kim Bum felt like a jerk. But he knew this was the only way to make So Eun give up.

            “What’d you do to her?” Joon asked. His voice was stern, and low. Kim Bum laughed. His face looked sad, almost like he had just been rejected by a girl he had a crush on for many years. Joon sighed. “Where is she?”

            “I didn’t do anything. She’s all yours. She’s not my girlfriend anymore.” Kim Bum said as he got up to leave. He placed his hand on Joon’s shoulder, and said: “Take good care of her. I swear, if you break her heart, I’ll kill you.” Joon brushed Kim Bum’s hand off his shoulder, and left to find So Eun. He found her sitting on a bench at a bus stop, almost like she was waiting for a bus to take her back home.

            “You don’t know the way back.” Joon said as he took a seat beside her. He noticed she was crying, and pulled out his handkerchief, and wiped the tears off of her face.

            “It doesn’t matter where I’m going… as long as I don’t see him.” She replied.

            “You can’t avoid this…You have to face reality. You can’t spend the rest of your life hiding from him. You have to face him.”

            “You’re right…”

            “You want to come back in?” Joon asked, and stretched out his hand. So Eun took it, and gave him a little nod.

 

            “We’ve got an announcement to make.” Joon’s father announced. His wife was standing beside him, with her hands clutching to her purse.  They were standing on the stage of the ballroom. Joon and So Eun were standing below, wondering what announcement they were going to make. Kim Bum stood on the bottom also, in the far back, trying to stay unnoticed.  “As you all know, I’ve returned to Seoul a few months ago.” Everyone nodded, and there was a little murmur from the crowd. He waited for the crowd to settle down before he continued. “I reunited with one of my friends, and she gratefully promised her daughter’s hand in marriage to my son. Kim Joon.” All the ladies about Joon’s age all gasped. They had always wanted to marry into the Kim family; it would help their family business, and ensure that they would have endless money to spend for the rest of their lives. “I would like to introduce them to you.” The crowd broke into applause. Joon and So Eun had no choice but to walk up to the stage beside Joon’s parents.  A smile naturally appeared on Joon’s face, while it was rather hard for So Eun to smile, but she tried her best. He loved So Eun, and didn’t mind having the whole world know that she was going to be his wife. After Kim Bum heard this announcement, he left. He thought he would be prepared for something like this… but apparently not. He cursed himself for thinking too highly of himself. Joon took So Eun’s hand, and held it up high. He took the microphone, and started speaking.

            “This was really unexpected. Maybe it was fate.” Joon explained. His parents moved from the stage, to below where So Eun and Joon had been. So Eun was shy, so it liked like she was kind of hiding behind Joon. “I’ve liked So Eun for a time now, but she was, unfortunately taken by another boy. I really want to thank So Eun’s mother for giving me such a privilege, and I believe that she will know how happy I am in heaven right now, because of the promise she had made to my father. But it’s still So Eun’s choice. I want to respect her.” He turned to So Eun. “Will you marry me?” Joon asked as he got down on one knee, took a little box from his pocket, and opened it to reveal a ring. He held it up to So Eun, his eyes pleading.