When Love Dies

Then & Now

She could feel her heartbeat beating away as she lied on the cotton mattress underneath her. It had been two weeks since she had last seen Yongguk, that painful day of farewell throbbed back and forth in her mind.  In the darkness of her room she sat up as the tears ran down her face. Nicole covered her face into the palm of her hands, as she lightly shook her head unwilling to believe how far he was away from her now. Tomorrow morning when the sunrises will mark the first day of Autumn, the leaf will slowly shed and leave the trees behind.

"Babo-ah," Yongguk's deep voice filled up her bedroom chamber as she slowly removed her her head away from her hand. Sitting across from her, there he sat smiling towards her in his blue and grey silk robe and gat hat, "You don't look to well," he kept a smile on his face, "you know I worry for you right?"

"Yongguk-ah," she whispered his name softly to herself, "Yongguk-ah..."

"Go to sleep," he whispered towards her

"Anyi," she replied with tears in her eyes, "if I close my eyes you won't be here when morning comes."

"Shhh, I promise you I'll be here when the sunrises."

"You promise?" She asked

"I promise, now go to sleep. I'll watch you." He smiled.

Nicole lied down as she then slowly closed her tired swollen eyes. She knew it was just a dream but it had made her happy that she was able to see him from time to time. When the sunrises she knew he would be gone, she knew he wasn't going to keep his promise like always.

"Yongguk-ah..." she finally then closed her eyes.

"Nicole!" Yongguk quickly sat up from his mattress, he felt the sweat slowly rolling down his forehead hitting his eyes, "Nicole-ah..." he began to breath heavier now, "you're starting to get further and further away from me." He whispered those words quietly to himself.

"Yongguk-ah, are you awake?" His mother slid open his bedroom door.

"Umma," he stood up in his white plain
robe.

"Your father and I will be at the fields come and help us when you're ready." She closed the door as she left.

Himchan step out of his bedroom chamber and felt the first wind of autumn pressing against his skin. The tree swayed back and forth, as he then stared up towards the sky.

"Siwan, is it possible to make someone love you?" he asked.

"Yes, but only if it's not forced." he replied.

"Do you think time will make someone love you?"

"No, time does not define love."

"I see..." Himchan let out a small sigh.

"Are you asking these questions because of the young miss?"

"The young miss?" Himchan turned around and raised his left eyebrow confused.

"The Jung Nicole Yoo Joo?"

"Ahh...Nicole," he now stared away from Siwan.

"Can I come in?" Asked Daehyun who was standing outside Nicole's bedroom chamber.

"Come in." Nicole called out from inside.

Daehyun opened Nicole's chamber door as he sat across from his sister who slowly put down her book.

"Is something wrong?" she asked him.

"You've gotten so thin..." he didn't dare to look at her as his eyes were focused on the floor.

"Daehyun-ah..." Nicole smiled, "I'm still the same..."

"You eat in your room, you don't ever come out, the only time you get some air is when you're walking to the bathhouse." he now stated up to look at her.

"I haven't been feeling well that's all and also because I want to further my studies." She tried to defend herself.

"You close yourself in because of love, you close yourself in because you think it'll make life easier, you close yourself in because you think that's the answer to all of your problems but it's not...have you become so foolish that you've gone mad?"

"Oppa!" Nicole felt her tears forming as she protested, "Out of everyone you should understand me the best! You should understand how it feels to not be near the one person you love the most!"

"I understand," he calmly replied, "I understand how you feel, I understand it all. That's why I'm telling you, locking yourself in from the world doesn't solve anything...do you think Yongguk would be satisfied with the person that you are right now?!" he could no longer hold in the anger he felt towards Nicole's actions, "Do you think if he'll be happy with himself that you're like this?! Thin and weak?! Because of him?! No, because what he would've wanted was for you to be happy! If you can't be happy for yourself how do you expect him to be happy?! Not everyone can kill two birds with a stone, sometimes it's only one you might end up killing."

"Daehyun-ah..."

"Nicole," he slowly moved towards her as he grabbed both of her hands, "no matter what happens please please be strong not only for yourself but everyone around you."

"I promise..." she closed her eyes as the tears fell down.

"That's the Jung Nicole Yoo Joon I know," Daehyun smiled, "because you're a girl you must not show your emotion when it comes to these kind of things."

"I understand..." was all that Nicole could say.

The suns ray hit Yongguks bare face as his sweat drenched down his forehead down to his back. He had been up since the early morning working in the fields with his parents and with several of the servants that wished to stay with the Bang family. The thought of possibly being able to see Nicole again made him work harder as he picked the dead roots out of the ground. The Autumn wind made the weather refreshing.

"Yongguk-ah," he stared up to see Gyuri one of the villagers daughter who from time to time came by the Bangs field to see him.

"Oh Gyuri-ah," he smiled as he wiped away his sweat.

"You must be tired," she questioned, "my father asked me to bring lunch to you guys. She held up the basket in front of her.

"Ah, you didn't have too."

"I know but I wanted too." She smiled.

"Today?" Himchan questioned.

"Yee," Sir Kim answered him, "I'll have Sir Yoo accompany you when you go and ask for her hand, he won't refuse because it's you yourself asking to marry his daughter."

"But she doesn't love me," he replied with his head low.

"This is your chance at being with the girl you have grown to love from a far, only a fool would love someone from a distant."

"Appa, I can't."

"You would do as your told!"

"Yes, I've grown to yearn and love her, but I just can't live a life where it's only me who loves and is not receiving love in return..." he replied calmly, "time does not change someone's feeling and love cannot be forced..."

"You'll do as I say...this is the end of our conversation."

"Appa,"

"Get out, in a few hours you'll be at the Jung's residence go get ready."

Nicole made her way towards the courtyard of their place. She stopped as she stared towards the sky. Though they were a part knowing they were under the same sky made her smile.

"Nicole..." she turned and saw her father standing a few feet away from her.

"Appa," she smiled as she bowed towards him.

"You've gotten thin," he said worried as he now was standing closer to her.

"I'm well though," her eyes smiled.

"It must've been tough on you?" he asked.

"I'm still alive aren't I Appa,"

"Of course, of course." He smiled, "let's go inside and drink some tea together."

"Yeee," as the two made their way towards the living space a knock was heard from the front gates. They both turned around as the servants opened the doors, "Who is it?" Nicole questioned her father.

"I don't know."

As the gates slowly opened standing outside was Sir Yoo and a palanquin, with other goods on the side. Nicole watched as the palanquin doors slowly pulled up and there Himchan stepped out as he stared right at her. He bowed from a distant towards her father and her as they to did the same back. 

"Autumn leafs are slowly fading away." Nicole whispered to herself.

Sir Jung and Nicole both made way towards Himchan and Sir Yoo asking them to come inside. With Madam Jung, Daehyun, Sir Jung, Nicole, Himchan and Sir Yoo all sitting in the living space they began talking.

"What brings you here today?" Sir Jung asked Himchan and Sir Yoo.

"I came to ask for your daughter's hand." Himchan quickly got to the point. Nicole quickly stared at her father.

"For my daughter's hand?" He grabbed for his cup of tea.

Daehyun looked at Nicole who seemed uncomfortable, he then placed his hands ontop of hers. She looked at her brother with a worried look. Her mother now to placed her hands ontop of her two child's. 

"I know I'm lacking but I would like for your daughter to become my wife..." Himchan once again spoke with determination.

After a long conference Himchan and Sir Yoo left the Jung's residence. Himchan sat inside his palanquin a bit disappointed. As he closed his eyes.

"Nicole,"

"Anyio," Nicole replied quickly towards her father.

"Nicole," Daehyun now said her name.

"Anyio..." she replied towards him.

"Nicole," her mother said.

"Anyio..." she now felt her tears slowly forming, "because I'm a girl I'll endure with Appa's decision." She wiped away her tears.

"I'm so sorry." her father said.

"Anyio, Appa...we all knew this day would come, it's just we all thought I would've been Yongguk...I'll like to rest now, please excuse me I will not being having dinner with you guys tonight." Nicole left the room.

"Appa," Daehyun felt anger rising inside of him, "why did you approve of this marriage?!"

"I'm a man of my words, I've always said I would give your sister to a man who comes and ask for your sisters hand himself and that's what he did."

"But you know she only has Yongguk." Daehyun protested toward his fathers decision.

"Stop it you two!" Madam Jung finally spoke, "Fate has its own magic...life is like this...we don't always get what we want though we pour our effort into it. Your sister is already at the age where she needs to be married off...time doesn't wait on anyone. Sooner or later she would've married off...this decision that your father made I hope there are no regrets." She got up from where she was sitting and made her way towards Nicole's chamber.

Nicole sat silently in her chamber, she had no more tears to let fall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I know I'm lacking but I would like for your daughter to become my wife..." Himchan once again spoke with determination.

"Why must I give my daughter to you?"

"As a man I'll promise to always protect her and love her. As a man I promise though her heart belongs to someone else I'll promise to steal it back so that she'll love me. As a man I promise to be the best husband that I can for her."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes,"

"Look me in the eyes and tell me I'm not making the wrong decision."

"I promise you, you're not making the wrong decision." Himchan stared straight into Sir Jung's eyes.

"Then she is yours, on the full moon two days from now the wedding ceremony will begin, please inform your father."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nicole-ah," Madam Jung enter her chamber as she sat closely in front of Nicole.

"Umma, is this the bad luck that has followed me since I pricked my finger with a needle?" Nicole tried to pull a smile.

"Silly child why do you speak such words?"

"Nothing, umma I must be dreaming right? When I close my eyes will this nightmare go away?"

"My Yoo Joo, this isn't a dream," Madam Jung felt her tears slowly falling down as she Nicole's hair, "I'm sorry I couldn't protect your love."

"Ani, umma..." Nicole reassure her mother, "you've protected my love from the very beginning and I'm very thankful for that, even Appa...I hold not hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Himchan isn't a bad person, he's kind and caring...I'll start my new life and with time I'll eventually change like the season."

Sir Jung stood outside Nicole's bedroom chamber as he covered his mouth as the tears streamed down his face.  What had he done? The one person he wanted to protect most from pain was now in pain because of him. You cannot kill two birds with a stone, especially when you have no choice. He knew this well, this was the bad omen that had already itched it's way in.

"Why do you look so upset?" Siwan asked Himchan.

"Though I wanted her to be my wife, I wished her father would've refused, but he didn't...because the way she looked at me I knew she did not want me as her husband."

"I'm sorry to hear," Siwan lowered his head.

"Anyi..." Himchan stared at the faded stars.

The morning wind woke Yongguk up. His room felt colder as he sat up on his mattress.

"Young sir," Hyun quickly enter Yongguk's room with a bright smile on his face.

"What is it?" Yongguk questioned, "Great news, we're heading back home, your father just found out it was a mistake about him losing all of his money!"

"Really?!" Yongguk's gummy smiled appeared as he quickly got out of bed. When he stepped outside all of their belongings were already packed ready to head back home.

"Nicole!" Ari quickly made her way into Nicole's room.

"What is it?" Nicole looked up as she slowly put down her comb.

"The Bangs are coming home today..." Ari smiled brightly and seemed as though tears of joy would burst out anytime soon.

"Is that so?" Nicole smiled, "Isn't it a shame though?" her smile slowly disappeared.

"Young miss,"

"Waiting was all that I ever did..." Nicole smiled, "What can I do when tomorrow comes? What do I do when love dies?"

"Young miss," Ari felt her tears slowly forming.

"When they reach the outskirts of town Ari, can you please asked Yongguk to come and meet me up at the hilltop?" She asked, "This is my last request before I become a married women."

Ari waited patiently. The sun was slowly setting as the Bang finally approached the outskirts of town. They were a few mins away from their old home when Ari politely asked one of the Bangs servant if she may have a word with Yongguk.  Yongguk's palanquin was set down.

"Why have we stopped?" Yongguk questioned.

"Someone would like a few words with you," Hyun answered as Yongguk stepped out of his palanquin.

"Ari..." Yongguk quickly got out.

"What's going on?" Sir Bang hollered from inside of his palanquin.

"You guys can go first, I'll follow behind!" Yongguk assure them as they proceed once again leaving him and his servants behind.

"It's nice to see you again," Ari bowed before Yongguk, "the young miss has a request she would like me to send to you. "

"Nicole?" He smiled, "What is it?"

"She would like you to meet with her tonight up in the hilltop. She would like to have a few words with you."

"A few words with me?" he questioned her.

"I have to go now," Ari and the servant with her bowed as they walked back home.

Nicole reached the top of the hill as she sat down under the willow tree. She stared at the river with the moonlight reflecting on it. Would he come she asked herself. How would they be like when they see each other once again?

Yongguk enter his chamber that he had yearn for, for the past week. He stared at the belongings that we're in his room. He then remember about what Ari has said to him. He smiled as he made his way towards his door realizing about the jaded hairpin. He quickly searched through his things as he finally found it and slipped it into the sleeve of his shirt.

"Hyun, I'm going out I'll be back before the sunrises."

Yongguk rushed out of their residence as he accidentally bumped into someone on his way out.

"Sorry!" he called out without looking back as he sprinted towards the hilltop.

"Aish," Sir Jung brushed the side of his silk robe. He then made his way towards the Bangs residence.

Yongguk stop in front of the first step that would lead him up towards the hill. He took in a deep breath. He slowly made his way towards the hilltop, when he reached the top he spotted Nicole with her back towards him. He slowly approached her.

"Nicole-ah..." his deep voice trickle down Nicole's back as it sent goosebumps around her body. She couldn't  believe it. He slowly turned her head and there he was, her Bang Yongguk was finally standing right in front of her now.

"Yongguk-ah, is that really you?" She stood up from where she was sitting.

"It's me," he smiled as he inched closer to her wrapping his arms around her.

"It's really you..." she wrapped her arms around his waist, "it's really you...this isn't a dream...it's really you..."

The two sat under the willow tree staring into the far distant. Yongguk stared at the side view of her face, he realized she had gotten fairly thin.

"Nicole-ah," He finally spoke.

"What?" she turned to look at him.

"What is that you wanted to tell me?" As he slowly searched for the hair pin inside of his sleeves.

"You know I love you right?" She smiled at him, "And you know no matter what happens I'll always love you?"

"Why are you saying that?"

"Yongguk-ah," she felt her tears slowly falling down.

"Why are you crying, I'm here now...I promised you when I come back you'll be my wife..." he pulled away from his sleeves as he wipe away her tears.

"You can't make someone your wife when she already belongs to someone else..." Nicole grabbed his hand gently away from her face.

"What?" he felt his heart racing.

"You were a bit late," she said, "someone had already come and asked me to be their bride."

"Nicole you're joking right?" he felt his eyes becoming a pool of tears, "you're lying."

"I wanted to see you before the sun rises tomorrow."

"Your wedding is tomorrow?" he now felt his tears forming.

"I'm sorry..." she leaned forward wiping away his tears now.

"Nicole..."

"What?" She pulled back.

"I'm sorry..."

"Anyi..." she replied.

Yongguk wiped away his tears as he tried to pull a smile on his face. He stared out towards the river he had missed so much. He was now sitting next to women he had longed and missed for but now when the sunrises she would belong to another man.  What more can he do?  All he can do now was be happy for her.

"Yongguk..." Nicole felt her tears falling.

"Shhh," he turned to face her, "don't cry, don't shed anymore tears..."