D R E A M

Then & Now

Nicole waited patiently for Yongguk up at the hilltop under the willow tree as she stared out towards the river and the few people who were cleaning their clothes down by the river. She took in the afternoon air, the sun was up high as she wiped away the small sweats that began to form at the tip of her forehead. She turned around searching for Yongguk who was nowhere in sight, Nicole turned her head back towards the river as Yongguk appeared in front of her.

"Aahhhh!!" she let out a squealed frighten as she pulled back then realizing who it was, "Yongguk-ah..." Nicole panted for air.

"Waahhh, am I that bad looking?" He smiled as he slowly leaned towards her who slowly turned her head away, "Aish you're no fun..." he laughed as he rolled next to her, "what did you need?" he asked her who quickly sat up straight. 

"It took you too long to get here, so I refuse to tell you the reason why I wanted to meet with you." Nicole closed her eyes as she let the small breeze pressed freely onto her skin as a smile slowly appeared.

"It's fine...I have something to tell you to but since I came late I guess you wouldn't want to know right?" he slightly turned his head towards her who ignored him, "Fine..." he turned his head away as he stood up to leave.

"I'm just kidding," he felt Nicole's hands grabbing onto his right wrist, "I'll listen now." Her voice was bright yet apologetic at the same time, Yongguk lightly nodded his head as he turned around and smiled at Nicole.

"Sir Jung, Kim Myeong-Su is outside our gates..." one of the servants announced to Sir Jung who was still in the middle of his reading, "should I send him away Sir?"

"No, I'll go greet him myself." Sir Jung closed his book as he stood up and left his study room making his way towards the front gate of their home.

"Ahhh, it's nice to meet you Sir Jung." Sir Kim bowed.

"I'm pleased that the popular Kim Myeong-Su is standing outside of my house." He politely bowed back as he gesture for Sir Kim to enter the court yard, as he led him into the living space with treats and tea.

"You can probably guess why I'm here today." Sir Kim took a sip of the tea in front of him, "I must say I wasn't so please with your answer." He smiled as he put down his cup of tea on the table.

"I'm sorry if I had offended you in anyway but my daughter is not deserving of becoming apart of your family due to her unwillingness to learn her lady like manners." Sir Jung lowered his head, "my daughter doesn't know the basic of becoming a wife and I am to blame for I treat her like a son." 

"If you're truly sorry then let the two meet each other first." Sir Kim suggested as he cleared his throat.

"Having them meet each other?" Sir Jung lifted his head surprised by such a request.

"It's only to see if they like each other."

"So tell me..." Nicole pulled on Yongguk's arm, "I promise I'll listen this time."

He turned towards her and thought about what he was going to say. He wanted to tell her how he was going to come and ask for her hand when the time was right, he then realized how he wanted to keep this a secret so on that day he'll truly understand her heart.

"It was this," he flicked her forehead as Nicole quickly massage the area of her forehead where he had flicked her.

"That hurts," she cried, "that's it? I shouldn't had stopped you from leaving then..." she pouted her lips.

"Tell me now." He smiled as he grabbed both of her hands away from her forehead, "Tell me why you wanted to meet with me..." Nicole slowly pulled her hands away from his as her cheeks blushed.

"Ahhh," her voice lowered as she then turned her attention towards the the river, "the other night I had a dream..." she let a sigh, "something felt wrong..."

"What did you dream about?" His tone became tight as he saw the sudden change of emotion on Nicole's face.

"I saw the eclipse...the sun coming to take the moon and the clouds were nowhere in sight..." she let out a soft sigh, "in my dream a man came and took my hand leading me out of my house past the gates...the sun was burning brightly, it felt so real...the thing was...I knew it wasn't you who came and took my hand..." Nicole's words sent chills down Yongguk's body as he quickly sat up straighter.

"You were probably just thinking too much about the story I told you." Yongguk tried changing the mood, "Isn't this willow tree beautiful!" He stood up as he stared up at the blue willow tree.

Nicole wonder if he got her message, if he understood that it's him who she always had her eyes on. Then again his expression made her doubted his feelings for her. She stood up as she brushed her navy blue chima dress so that it wouldn't creased and started walking towards the small stairs that would lead her to the main road. Yongguk turned around to see Nicole already half way down the stairs as he ran after her.

Sir Jung sat outside the courtyard thinking hard about Sir Kims suggestion.

------------------------------Flashback------------------------------

"And if they do like each other?" Sir Jung asked.

"Then you'll reconsider your answer..."

------------------------------End of Flashback------------------------------

"What seems to be bothering you?" Madam Jung asked her husband as she took the seat next to him.

"Our daughters future..." he sigh, "Kim Myeong-Su came by today he wants his son and Nicole to meet..."

"You refused right?" She seemed a bit worried.

"I agree only because I know Nicole's heart already belongs to someone else." He smiled at his wife, "There's no need to worry."

Ji Eun who was making her way towards the river saw Nicole quickly coming down the stairs. Her maid was behind her holding onto the basket of clothes.

"Nicole," Ji Eun made her way towards her, "were you doing your laundries again." She smiled at her friend.

"Ah Ji Eun-ah," Nicole quickly bowed before her, "I...I.."

"Nicole wait for me!" Yongguk yelled out after Nicole as he panted for air as he reached the main road.

"Oh Yongguk..." Ji Eun turned her attention away from Nicole and now towards him, "were you guys here together?"

"It's nothing," Nicole gave her a small smile as she bowed and quickly walked on by.

"I'm sorry Ji Eun, I'll love to stay and chat but...but I have to go." Yongguk bowed as he followed behind Nicole.

Ji Eun turned around as she watched Yongguk catching up to her. She then turned around and began walking on by getting to her destination.

"Why are you acting so weird?" Yongguk grabbed her by the shoulder as he turned her body towards him, "Why?"

"Please let go of me..." Nicole slowly pulled away from him as he held onto her even tighter now.

"Not until you tell me why..." His tone changed and it was something Nicole wasn't familiar with.

"I say let me go..." Nicole felt her voice faultering as her chest became heavy, "I have no reasons to why I'm acting this way..." she lowered her head as she felt her tears forming, "I have to get home now, please let go of me." She tried pulling away from him once again only to be pulled closer to him now.

"You're not telling me something..." his voice soften as he held tightly onto her shoulders.

"You're hurting me..." she flatly replied as her tears ran down her face, "please let go..." she felt his grip loosen as he took three steps backward, "I'll see you around." Nicole looked up as she quickly wiped away her tears bowing before she went on her way.

Nicole enter through the gate door of her house. Her father was already waiting for her arrival. She bowed as she then made her way towards her bedroom.

"I have something to discuss with you," Sir Jung watched as Nicole stopped walking and stood with her back to him.

They sat quietly in the living space, Nicole across from her father with her head low. He took a sip of his tea before finally announcing his news to her.

"What is it that you wanted to speak to me about Appa?" She questioned him as she pourer more tea into his cup.

"Tomorrow you'll meet with Kim Myeong-Su's son..." he replied as he grabbed for his cup as he sip down the tea and lightly placed the cup back onto the table.

"Appa...how could you?" Nicole became furious though she held it in, "I thought...I thought you already refused on this marriage request?"

"You guys are just meeting with each other. It only changes if you two like each other & if he comes to me himself..." Sir Jung gave Nicole a light smile as he reached for his daughters hand, "I agreed because I already know who has my daughters heart." He stood up and left Nicole by herself.

The moon was shining brightly in the night sky as Yongguk sat outside his bedroom steps. He watched as the clouds slowly moved away from the moon, the night was a bit colder as he had his hands tightly wrapped around each other.

"Young master, I think it's time you go inside, you might catch a cold." One of his servant requested, Yongguk took one last glance up at the sky before heading into his chamber.

Nicole stood still as the servants were putting on Nicole's finest silk hanbok on her. The morning wind was a bit colder as everyone was rushing to get the morning chores done. In a few hours Nicole would be meeting with the Kim's son. Her mother was sitting on the cushion that was placed on Nicole's bedroom floor as she watched Nicole.

"Yahhh," Himchan growled at his servant, "you're pulling my hair!"

"I'm sorry young master." One of them replied as they loosen the gat hat that was placed onto his head.

Himchan stood annoyed. He stared at his father who was sitting still sipping on his morning tea. He wanted to storm out and run as far as he could, he had wished he had never came back from his travels. He let out a soft sigh as the servants finally finished dressing him.

"I'm like a doll..." Himchan stated out loud, "I'm like a puppet attached to a string and follow your command..." he gave a angry grin towards his father who stood up.

"Then hurry, you should already know a girl does not like to wait." Sir Kim then walked out of Himchan's chamber.

Nicole step outside of her chamber as the morning wind pressed tightly onto her pale face. She stared up at the sky as the clouds where hiding away the sun. She turned back to face her mother.

"Umma..." Nicole softly requested for her mothers attention.

"You'll be okay," her mother the right side of Nicole's face, "it's not a marriage it's just a meeting...me and your father truly understand who you truly yearn for my dear child."

Nicole bowed before making her way towards the courtyard where her father was already waiting for her. She bowed before him as he smiled at her.

"He should be here soon." Sir Jung told Nicole who then stood beside her father.

They heard a few knocks at the front gate. One of the male servants quickly went to open it. There stood one of the Kim's man.

"Our young master is here now," he bowed before the Jung's as he then moved away to make room.

Nicole slowly lowered her head as her heart began to beat faster and faster. All she thought about was Yongguk. How she wanted to use this time to run to his residence. How she wanted to explain to him why she had been acting the way she had been acting.

"Please welcome Kim Himchan." The servant announced out loud.

Nicole quickly looked up to find herself staring at Himchan who was standing at the front gate bowing towards the family. As he looked up he was surprised to be staring at Nicole the girl he had secretly started to admire. Himchan's eyes widen as Nicole's did the same.

"Nicole why aren't you showing your respect?" Sir Jung turned his head towards Nicole who stood frozen, "Nicole."

"Ah," Nicole smile at her father then quickly bowing towards Himchan, "It's nice to meet you Kim Himchan..." she then looked back up at him.

Himchan made his way through the gates as he was now standing a few inches away from where the Jung's were standing.

"Ahh, so you're the Jung Nicole Yong-Joo my father praise so highly of." Himchan smiled towards Nicole.

"I'm not deserving of such a compliment from your father." Nicole replied back.

"You two should be getting on your way now." Sir Jung smiled at Himchan and Nicole.

Nicole took two step forward as she lightly turned her head back towards her father then walking past Himchan who followed behind her. Nicole felt this itching of guilt stabbing her heart. She stared at the dirt ground, how could this be? She questioned herself. How?