Leaving

Then & Now

"Is everything alright?"

"I just need some fresh air," Himchan slowly stood up from his chair and out of his study room as he took in the evening air into his lungs.

"It's been a week already, young master and you've grown fairly thin." His servant told him while following slowly behind Himchan who ignored his words, "Himchan..." his servant who had never addressed Himchan by his name before did for the first time.

"Siwan...." Himchan slowly turned around.

"I'm so sorry, I deserve to be punish for addressing you that way!" He quickly got onto his knees and Himchan could tell he was quivering in fear.

"Stand up," Himchan grabbed both of his shoulders making sure he got up, "thank you..." he removed his hands, "thank you, you've been the only close friend that I ever had...I prefer you call me by name then young master...there's no need to be scared of me." he gave out a small smile as he turned around staring up towards the evening sky, "it's been a week already huh?"

Nicole put away her needle and thread into her medium size wooden box. It had been a week since her and Yongguk had confessed to each other, yet she was unsure whether he was going to come and ask for her hand. The two never spoke about marriage, that was enough to make her worry whether anything was ever going to happen. Lost in her thoughts without realizing madam Jung was sitting across from Nicole now.

"What's bothering you this evening?" she grabbed for both of Nicole's hand that were nicely placed in front of her.

"Umma," Nicole lightly shook herself out of her thoughts as she stared at mother lost, "time isn't waiting on anyone..." she then lowered her head.

"Don't look so sad," she lifted Nicole's chin up, "waiting is the hardest part, but I can assure you the reward will be so worth it."

"The longer you wait for something you tend to not want it anymore." Nicole let out a small laugh, "I'm unable to keep waiting for disappointment...I feel like its a cat and mouse game, though he knows that I love him he keeps running away from me...but maybe it's like that with him too." Nicole let out a soft sigh as she stood up and left the room leaving her mother behind.

Nicole stared up towards the evening sky, autumn was slowly approaching. Something felt different, as if it didn't belong, something deep down she felt as if something was missing. Was it her heart?

As silence swept through the darkness of the town, Yongguk lied on his cotton mattress as he stared towards the ceiling of his bedroom chamber. In the darkness he felt lonely. On the day of the full moon he'll go ask for Nicole's hand. The thought of her sleeping next to him made him smile. He closed his tired eyes at last, while resting in the palm of his right hand was the jaded hairpin.

In the early morning Nicole was already sitting up at the hilltop beside the willow tree. She stared out towards the river as the cold morning air slowly seeped into her face. Down by the river were womens cleaning their laundry and down in the mainroad were people already walking on by. Nicole closed her eyes as she slowly pulled her her braided hair towards her. She then opened her eyes as she slowly loosen the ribbon that held her braid in place. The small breeze slowly picked up her silky black hair as it started to free itself from the braid and swayed with the wind.

"What's wrong?" she heard a familiar voice as she slowly looked up to find Yongguk who then got on both knees as he gently grabbed for her hair, "Something must be wrong," he began braiding her hair once again, "don't you dare lie to me too, the only time you ever loosen your hair is when you feel like there's no meaning to live anymore."  He then slowly grabbed the ribbon out her Nicole's hand as he tied it to the end of her braided hair now taking a seat beside her.

"Yongguk-ah," she quietly whispered his name under her breath as the tears slowly began to form, "Yongguk-ah..."

"Babo, why aren't you speaking?" he turned to look at Nicole who was gone, he quickly stood up as he searched around for her. From across the hilltop he saw smoke coming from the mountain side, "Nicole!!" he roar worried, "Nicole!!"

"Nicole!" Ari ran into Nicole's chamber waking Nicole up from her dream.

"What is is Ari," she tiredly sat up from her cotton mattress.

"Something terrible is happening..." Nicole could see Ari's who had sweat at the tip of her forehead and her eyes that looked fearful.

"Get my bath ready." Nicole order as she quickly got up.

"What?" Madam Jung asked her husband.

"I said the Bang family lost everything." Sir Jung repeated as he had both of his hands on his forehead for support while both of his elbows rested on his small table.

"Appa...how did they go bankruptcy?" Daehyun asked concerned.

"I don't know..."

"What about the marriage?" Madam Jung got to the point.

Nicole stood outside her fathers study room as she listened. Her heart dropped. She felt her eyes forming tears as she stood still not wanting to face her parents and brother like this.

"You know I'm not a man who cares for wealth for my daughter, but of care, love and support." Sir Jung replied to his wife, "this now all depends whether Yongguk will still come and ask for our daughters hand."

"I don't care if they're unable to pay for a proper wedding, all I care about is that my daughter lives her life with the one she truly loves..." Madam Jung felt her tears streaming down her face.

"Only time will tell..." Sir Jung let out a sigh.

Nicole stood still as she felt her tears free falling. Daehyun opened the doors as he found Nicole with her head low standing there. He walked towards her as he then pulled her in for a hug. He now felt her body shivering and knew she was crying.

"Shhh," Daehyun tried to calm her, "babo everything will be alright, don't cry." he felt guilt slowly piercing down his chest as he held tightly onto his dongsaeng.

"What?!" Yongguk slammed the palm of his hand on his fathers desk, "Appa how did this happen?!!"

"I don't understand how this happened either." Sir Bang look exhausted, tired and worn out. His hair wasn't comb his white robe was loose and looked like a man who had no meaning to live anymore.

"Appa...how am I going to ask for Nicole to become my wife now?" Yongguk slowly began to breath heavier as he fell back with tears in his eyes. His hand lazily in front of him.

"We can talk about that when we come back." he replied.

"Come back?"

"Pack your things tonight...we're leaving for the country side tomorrow morning." His father wiped away his tears as he cleared his throat,"That's a order."

"Appa..."

"Do you think Nicole would want to come and marry someone who isn't able to provided for his own family right now?!" Sir Bang had never raised his voice before, "Do you want Nicole to suffer like how we are suffering right now?!!" Sir Bang cried.

"Appa!" Yongguk grabbed for his fathers hand, "I understand...I understand."

"Did you do as you were told?" Himchan walked by his father's study room as he overheard his father talking, he stood outside listening, "good..."

Himchan let out a soft sigh as he began walking back to his bedroom chamber with Siwan slowly following behind him.  When they got to the front of his chamber Himchan thought about what his father was talking about. He turned around and from a distant he saw someone walking out of his fathers study room and out the front gate.

"Siwan, do you know who was talking to my father?" Himchan asked.

"I'm sorry but I don't."

"I see," he then enter his chamber without further questions.

"Yongguk-ah..." Yongguk who was sitting outside the courtyard of their resident slowly looked up to find Ji Eun.

"Ji Eun," he quickly stood up, "what are you doing here?"

"I came to pay you a visit." She smiled, "I heard what happened."

"It's spreading like wild fire isn't it?" He asked with his head low.

"I'm sorry to hear about it," she lowered her head now too, "does Nicole know about it?" she questioned him.

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to believe she didn't?" he let a small smile cross his face just hearing her name, "I'm leaving tomorrow morning."

"To the country side I heard."

"If you already know this much imagine how much Nicole already knows." Yongguk stared at Ji Eun.

"Yongguk-ah...when will you be back?" she asked.

"I'm not sure..." he sigh, "hopefully soon."

"Will you be married by then?"

"No..." he sadly replied.

"Do you think Nicole would be?"

"No," another small smile crept on his face, "I know she'll wait for me...this is only the storm before a calm."

"I see," she smiled, "Nicole is really lucky to have someone like you...I must head home now." with that Ji Eun left quietly.

"Hyun," Yongguk asked his servant, "I have one last request..."

"Please don't say that...no matter what I'll stay by your families side."

"After today you'll be able to freely wander around this town." Yongguk turned to his servant who had been with him his entire life.

"I refuse to leave after all that you're family has given me." Hyun bowed once again, "what is your request?"

"Before the stars comes out will you please go and asked for Nicole to come meet me at the hilltop? Since I'm unable to..."

"Of course."

The evening sky slowly made its way in. Yongguk waited patiently for Nicole. He stared out towards the river then at the willow tree he was going to miss so much. He didn't know what to say of Nicole was going to show up. He waited and waited nothing for nothing. The stars slowly appeared as the moons light was a bit dull.

"She probably won't come." he stood up and found Nicole now standing a few feet away from him.

"Was it hard?" She asked.

"What?"

"Waiting..."

"Nicole..."

She made her way towards Yongguk. As they were now inches away from each other he felt Nicole's arms wrapping around his waist as she rested her head on his chest.

"Nicole..." was all he could say.

"Before you go...please make me your wife." Yongguk stood frozen by Nicole's request his heart began to race faster and faster, "please make me your bride." she was now tightly squeezing him.

"Ni...Nicole..." she felt his tear drops hitting the tip of her head as she pulled away from him.

"I don't care the condition as long as I'm with you life is worth living." She used her right hand to wipe away his tears.

"I can't," he sadly replied knowing she would be hurt by his answer, "I promise when I come back you'll be my wife."

"Yongguk-ah..." she bit her lower lip trying to stop it from quivering as her tears flooded her face.

"Shhh," he grabbed her hand that was on his face, "we'll both be okay..." he whispered

"Yongguk...when the autumn comes what happens to the leafs?"

"They slowly shed their old leafs." he replied, "Why?" he now slowly wiped away her tears.

"Nothing..." she answer back.

"When the sun rises tomorrow I'll be leaving this town to start a new life, but I won't forget about you who I know will be waiting. I promise you I'll make you my wife. Time isn't so kind to part you and I at such a time."

"Promise?" She grabbed for his right hand as she intertwined their pinkys together.

"I promise..." he tried to give her a small smile, "tomorrow before the sun comes I'll be leaving will you come?"

"I'll come..." she replied.

"It's getting late now let me walk you home."

Nicole enter her bedroom chamber as she changed into her white sleep robe. She lied down as she closed her eyes. Before the sun was rising Ari came to wake her. Nicole changed into her navy chima blouse and grey jeogori top as her black braid was nicely down her back. Ari followed behind Nicole who made her way towards the Bang's residence. When she got their all of the Bangs stuff that they were allowed to take with them were all compiled on a cart. Nicole bowed towards Sir and Madam Bang who did the same.

"At such an early why are you here?" Madam Bang the side of Nicole's hair.

"I..." Nicole felt her eyes become watery once again..."I.."

"We know..." Sir Bang walked towards Nicole..."dear child, take care of yourself alright?" He the top of Nicole's head, "I'll do my best to bring our family back home."

"Yeeeh," Nicole tried to control her tears.

"Please tell your parents we say our farewell until next time." with that they two couple got into their palanquin.

Nicole watched as they put the last item into the cart. She walked towards the front gate and spotted Yongguk still inside contemplating the courtyard. She told Ari to stay outside as she walked in and towards Yongguk.

"You don't want to leave?" She questioned him who turned around.

"I didn't think you'll come." He smiled.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world." She replied, "Will you really not make me your bride before you go?" she questioned him once again..."

"I told you already babo..." he tried to not leave with tears in his eyes, "I'll come back for you."

"Won't you just make me your wife?" she kept asking him.

"Nicole...it's about time I have to leave now." the two walked out the resident. As the two servants closed the gate doors looking them out.

"Yongguk," Sir Bang open the small window of his palanquin, "it's time we leave now."

"Alright Appa..." he then turned to Nicole, "I have to go now..." he her pale face, "I love you." He leaned in as he for the first time kissed her forehead leaving Nicole surprised. She watched him who's back was was turned to her as he got into his palanquin. Before entering he raised his pinky up in front of him so Nicole could
see it he lightly waved it back and forth.

"You promise..." Nicole called out towards him. As his parents palanquin were picked up and began to move away.

"I promise!" his deep voice hollered back as he now got into his palanquin.

The cart of all their belongings began to slowly moved away. Nicole watched as Yongguk's palanquin got picked up by the four servants and slowly began walking away from her.

"Yongguk-ah," she quietly whispered his name under her breath as the tears slowly began to form, "Yongguk-ah..." she felt her feet slowly walking towards them who were getting further away from her. She then began to run after the cart as Ari pulled Nicole back, "Yongguk-ah!" Nicole cried in the early morning as the turned a corner and disappeared from her sigh, "make me your wife before autumn comes and the leaf sheds...Yongguk-ah!" she fell onto the ground as she wrapped her arms around Ari who comforted her.

"Shhh," he's already gone, there's nothing that we can do now. All there is to do is wait."

"Time isn't waiting on us now..." Nicole softly cried, "my dream is slowly turning into reality...and it scares me."

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School started for me & I'm currently working now too so I'm sorry for the late updates.  I promise too keep updating as soon as I can though!! Thank you guys so much for the support & uncoditional love for this story! It's your comments and interest that keeps me going with this story! Once again thank you so much to my readers commenters and subs! I love you guys! Thank you guys for being so understanding and patient with someone like me who is lacking so much! Thank you guys once again! I hope you guys like this short chapter!

- SuperKaRaw