Now & Then

Then & Now

"Sir..." Hyun was standing in front of Yongguk, who stood out in the courtyard by himself as evening was slowly approaching, "there's..." his breathing became consistent as he lowered his head now.

"What is it?" Yongguk turned away from the darkening sky.

"I'm really...really sorry..." Hyun closed his eyes as his tears fell down, Hyun had never cried in front of Yongguk ever, this worried him.

"Hyun..." Yongguk quickly grabbed onto Hyun's shoulders, "What's going on?" he had a frown upon his face.

"I'm sorry to inform you that...that...Nicole has left us..."

"What?" He was shocked at the words he had now just heard..."You're such a joker..." Yongguk tried to laugh it off but anyone could tell he was faking it as he slowly took a few step back.

"Right now they are burying her body up on the hilltop..." Hyun tried to calm his shaken voice, "I'm really sorry..."

"Why wasn't I...I informed," Yongguk felt so betrayed as his knees crashed onto the cement floors of the courtyard, "It isn't her...Anyi, it can't be her..." he felt his tears overwhelming his eyes now, "Anyi...Anyi I have so much to say to her still, I still have so many unsaid words!!" He quickly stood up making his way towards the front gate.

"Sir," Hyun who was still grieving held Yongguk back, "I'm sorry but I can't let you go." He stated in regrets.

"Let him go..." Yongguk turned around and saw Ji Eun standing behind the two, "Hyun, just let him go...at least one of the Bang's family member should go and pay some respect since umma and appa aren't in town."

"Your parents had asked me to not loose sight of you while they were away..." Hyun informed Yongguk who turned to face Hyun once again, as Hyun now stared up towards the night sky, "because you and the young Madam had so many hurtful and painful history with one another I thought it'll be best if you went after the rightful burial was over...now as the stars are coming out I'll pretended for this once that you're sleeping in your chamber..." He then finally pave way for Yongguk as be lowered his head, "go..."

"Hyun-ah...." Yongguk bowed towards him for the first time as he now then turned towards Ji Eun, "Thank you..." he then ran out the gates and towards the mountainside.

Yongguk ran passed the hilltop with the willow tree by the river. The willow tree was slowly blooming its newly leafs, as he ran through the forest that he and old Lee had once walked together to visit the late Madam Lee. He came to a narrow dirt road and from where he was he saw the smoke creeping up slowly into outer space. The tears once again slowly appeared right in front of his eyes. His eyes then followed the burning smoke as he stared up towards the heavens.  He remember dreaming about this place...



-------------------------------------------------------------------flashback-------------------------------------------------------------



"There was an eclipse but no moon...is that possible?" Yongguk lightly smiled, "But dreams are weird like that...I saw smoke coming from the mountain side, I remember running and running as fast as I could, but no matter how fast I ran the slower I become, I cried and I cried but there was no tears. I drop to my knees on that dirt road, I cursed at the stars and at the sky...I asked the heavens why...but I had no question..." Yongguk let out a deep sigh as he placed both of his hands behind his back walking towards the courtyard, "Something didn't feel right..." he then concluded his dream.



------------------------------------------------------------end of flashback------------------------------------------------------------------



This couldn't possible be happening he thought to himself wishing it was just a bad dream. Just another dream. He took his teary eyes away from the sky as he now slowly approached  Nicole's tombstone. His knees became weak as he inched slowly towards her.

"So this is how it is..." he whispered to himself as he now walked towards her tombstone as the incense was still burning, "Nicole-ah..." his knees drop before her tomb as his tears roar down his face, "Nicole-ah!!" He cried out loud alone.

The memories of her once happy face ran through his mind. Her once bright laughter became audible in his ears. The sweet words she once said brought tears to his heart. He curled his body into a ball with his forehead touching the dirt ground as his hands covered his head.

"I can't send you off like this," he gritted his teeth's together as he now used his right hand to pound onto the ground, "babo-ah..." he slowly lifted up his head as he stared straight towards her tomb, "In the night sky tonight, the moon is being comforted by the clouds...today the clouds shed tears...was it telling me something? Is that why I'm shedding tears now?" He felt his body shaking as he closed his teary eyes shut, "Nicole-ah..." he opened his eyes once again, "before leaving, please tell my beloved that I truly truly loved her, even though fate pulled the line between the two of us..."

He sat up straight with bended knees now. He wiped away the tears that would not leave his eyes. He bowed three times as he tried to calm himself down. Though he knew he couldn't.

"All those goodbyes and sad endings I'll just put them aside for a short while. You who has warmed my heart as left." Yongguk felt his lips quivering now as he placed his right hand onto the side of his head, "Morning will come, then we cannot see one another again. Will loneliness echo through my heart while hearing your name?" he asked her who could not respond back, "Meeting at young, I kept that image of you inside my mind, even our foolish promises I kept. Our painful tears and stressful matters, I'll burn them all away, so can't you stay? Can't you tell me that you love me first? Nicole-ah!!" he cried, "Wake up, please please wake up!!"

Yongguk sat under the willow tree in the late spring night. The moons light reflected into the river as the clouds were slowly moving away, while the stars were burning brightly. He stared towards the mountainside where Nicole was finally at ease. The night seemed like forever, he was sending her away with words of regrets. He couldn't believe it, she was really gone now...he couldn't believe it, that he had been at her grave just a couple of minutes ago and now he was sitting under the willow tree alone watching her from a far once again.

"Jung Nicole Yong Joo..." he lazily stared towards the mountainside as the tears slowly fell down his face, "I'll lit a fire with the love you left behind...this is the last time I'll ever come to this place, I'll no longer look up at the stars and stare at the moon for they have taken all my secrets and now my beloved away from me...and because they'll make me wonder where you are..." he closed his eyes as the tears race down his face now, "I'm left alone in the dark of night, though the moon shines brightly tonight...without you now I've lost my light once again...why don't you just come back?"

"Maybe it's best if we go home now..." Yongguk opened his teary eyes and turned around to find Ji Eun waiting for him, "it's late now...go home and get some rest." Yongguk did not refuse this time and slowly stood up, before he left he stared out towards where he knew Nicole was at. With that he turned away and grabbed Ji Eun by the hand as the two headed home now.

"Yongguk-ah..." Yongguk opened his eyes, sitting beside him was Nicole, "You're awake..." she smiled.

"Nicole..." but he could not move as he felt his eyes tearing up just seeing her while he knew he was dreaming.

"Shhh..." she whispered, "I came to say farewell to you properly..." her happy face now shed tears, "you asked me to tell your beloved that you truly truly loved her," she now placed her right hand on top of his forehead as she slowly glide the side of his head now, "I know...I've always known that you truly truly loved me...just like the wind I'll slowly disappear from your heart," she now placed her hand on to the left side of his chest where his heart was, "at the end of this crazy love you'll finally be able to let me go...please do not hold me inside when I'm already gone...time will ease your pain away, you'll be alright with the passing years..." she saw how he cried unable to say a word to her she knew this well, "I'm sorry Yongguk-ah, but it's time to say goodbye and yes this way...take care...morning is calling now," she tried to fake a smile as she could see his eyes colored with pinkish red with tears roaring down, Yongguk felt as though he was screaming from the top of his lung but was unable to say a single word to her. He felt his eyes closing now which he tried hard to not close, "I love you..." those were the last words he heard from her before he awoken to find Ji Eun fast asleep beside him.

"Since I'm unable to turn back time...I'll move on forward..." he whispered to himself before the sunrises for the start of day, "if fate is generous to the both of us in another lifetime I'll be waking up with you next to me...we will never be apart again...goodbye my love..." he stared up towards the ceiling of his roof, "I'll sadly send you off like this now."

"Yeobo..." Himchan looked up while he sat quietly alone in his bedroom chamber.

"Nicole-ah..." he watched as she sat down across from him, "Nicole-ah..." he quickly grabbed for her hands as the tears race down his face, "Nicole-ah...it's really you." He now leaned towards her who embraced him in her arms as he cried.

"Don't cry for me anymore," she the side of his face, "don't blame yourself anymore, you've been through enough and I who was unworthy of being your wife only gave you burden," she now closed her eyes as the tears ran down coldly, "don't feel sorry for me to...there's nothing that I can forgive you for, I came back to ask for your forgiveness instead."

"Ani," he wrapped his hands around her waist tighter now, "being able to call you my wife was already enough."

"Kim Himchan," she softly whispered, "thank you...before I go I wanted you to know that I did love you for who you were and not for who I wanted you to be, I'm filled with regrets that I couldn't love you enough. I must go now...take care, I apologize once again for unable to conceive you a child...I love you..."

"Ani!" Himchan quickly sat up from his cotton mattress alone, the sunlight had already crept upon his chamber floor and walls. He rubbed both of his swollen eyes as he turned to his right side, reality had woken him up, she was no longer sleeping beside him nor well she ever again, he was going back to the days when he was alone.

Yongguk stepped outside as he stared up at the clear blue sky, much different from yesterday's cloudy start of morning. The sun's ray warmly pressed itself onto his clear skin as the morning spring breeze brushed lightly on by then disappearing.

"Of course..." he showed a faint smile as he stared away from the sky, "You'll disappear with the wind...but you're forever apart of me...and I'm forever apart of you, because you've taken my heart as I still have yours," he inhale the morning air slowly as he then exhale lightly, he then stared up towards the sky once again as the tears slip from the outer corner of his eyes, "I bid my farewell my love...I'll send you away with the clouds...but I shall never look up towards the moon and the stars...for I'll keep wondering where you are..."


------------------------Modern Day South Seoul Korea: Year 2011 September 26 ------------------------

Nicole and Yongguk walked down the crowded street of Seoul in the cold Autumn night. She cling onto his right arm as he led her around. It was cold as the two finally got to her apartment building.

"It's cold..." Yongguk smiled as he grabbed for both of her hands trying to warm them up for her.

"I know," Nicole smiled, as a giggle escaped , "it's late now..." she pulled her hands away from his grip as she leaned forward wrapping her arms around his waist with her head resting on his chest, "get home safely." with her arms still wrapped around Yongguk's waist she lifted her head up to look up towards him who stared down at her as he leaned forward and planted a kiss on her forehead.

"I'll go after I see you go inside," he pulled away as he felt her loosening her grip now.

"Goodnight," Nicole pulled away as she began to walk towards the front door of the building, "Ah!" she quickly turned around to see Yongguk still standing there, "I forgot," she quickly made her way towards him, "go straight home after you see me off okay?" she seemed a bit worried.

"Why?" his gummy smile appeared, "Do you think I'll go do something stupid?" he sarcastically questioned her.

"Ani..." she pouted her lips, "I had a really bad dream about you last night...so go straight home okay?" she tiptoed as she quickly planted a kiss on his right cheek now heading quickly towards the front door, "Remember go straight home!!" she yelled out one last time before closing the door behind her now.

Yongguk just smiled as he waved at her who was now gone. He turned around as he began walking back home. Night seemed more crowded then in the morning as he shoved his way through the people.

"Oh...Yongguk oppa!" Yongguk turned around and saw Ji Eun a few feet away from where he was as the people pushed him and shoved his way.

"Ji Eun-ah," he smiled towards her now waving his hands, as she inched closer to him in the crowded street of Seoul.

Nicole closed her apartment door behind her as she slipped on her house slippers quickly turning on her heater to warm the apartment up. She then made her way towards her small kitchen looking out her square window that looked out towards the city. A smiled crept upon her face with the thought of Yongguk somewhere out there. She turned around without noticing she accidentally knocked down one of her glass cups as it shattered loudly onto her wooden kitchen floors.

"What are you doing out here?" Ji Eun smiled as she nudge the side of Yongguk's right arm.

"I just sent Nicole home just a couple minutes ago.." He smiled.

"I see..." she lowered her head with a smile on her face..."Oh since you're here can you do me a favor?" She quickly grabbed tightly onto his arm now, "I'm heading to a party..hmm I'm going alone is it okay that you go with me? Please???"

Nicole quickly grabbed for the broken glass as a piece sliced her left index finger. She pulled back as she stared at the blood that began to seep out of her skin and dropped onto her light navy blue jeans. She thought about Yongguk as she slowly stood up and rinsed her finger in the sink.

"I guess...but we can't stay long since Nicole doesn't want me out..." he gave in thinking to himself it was Nicole's friend after all what harm could it do him.

After Nicole finished cleaning up her messed she headed towards her bedroom as she the lights.  She walked towards her desk as she stared at the picture of Yongguk and her.  She smiled as she then stared at her finger once again.

"Bad luck?" She thought to herself...

As the cloudy start of morning slowly came, Yongguk opened his tired eyes.  He sat up from his bed as he stretched his arms overhead soon realizing he wasn't in his bedroom. He slowly turned to his right side and found Ji Eun sleeping beside him, was he dreaming he thought now panicking. He quickly got out of her bed as he realized he was only where his boxer and his clothes were scattered all around her room.  He was going crazy now after he found her clothes scattered all around him now too.

"Ji Eun-ah..." He heard someone calling from outside as he stood frozen now.  The doors slowly opened as he wished he would just vanished, he slowly turned to see Ji Eun waking now, "YAAAA!!" he turned towards the door once again now realizing it was her mother, "WHAT IS GOING ON IN HERE!!" She yelled in anger now, Ji Eun quickly hid her body under her covers.

"I swear...nothing happened..." Yongguk quickly tried to defend himself.

"Umma..." Ji Eun lowered her head...

"What's going on?" Another voice arose from behind the doors, Nicole who came to visit was now standing behind Ji Eun's mother as she peered into the room and found Yongguk at his state and Ji Eun still covering herself up..."Yong...Yong-guk-ah..." she couldn't believe her eyes.

"You two are to get married as soon as possible!" Mrs. Song left angered.

"Nicole..." the two of them said at the same time.

"I'm sorry..." Nicole felt her tears slowly running down her face now, "I didn't know you two were getting married..." she quickly bowed towards them as she rushed out of the house. Yongguk grabbed for his clothes putting them on as he ran after her.

"Nicole!" he yelled running after her as he now grabbed onto her hands, "Nicole you have to listen to me...please..."

"Listen to what!?" She swung her arms away from his grip, "That you slept with my friend and now you want me to just forgive you?! That you're getting forced to married my friend now and for me to congratulate you?! Huh?! Is that what you want me to do?"

"You have to believe me...I didn't do anything with her...please trust me this once..." He grabbed tightly onto her hands now.

"I'm okay without you, I'll be fine without you...I'll be able to go out with my friends like usual, I'll even be able to smile with or without you..." Nicole pulled his arms that wrapped around her waist away from her body as he grabbed onto both of her hands now, "being alone is comfortable, there's no need to wait for your calls anymore, there's no need to be in pain because of you anymore...." she felt the tears running coldly down her face as she stared down towards Yongguk who was still on both knees holding onto her two hands with his head hanging lowly.

"Nicole...please please believe me...please please trust me," his low voice whispered these words, "I didn't do anything to her I swear...you have to trust me..."

"It's because I trust you too much..." she sadly replied as her voice cracked and faltered, "the thought of you and her together makes me go crazy..." she pulled her right hand out of his grip as she touched the right side of her head closing both of her eyes with tears rolling down.

"Nicole...."

"Ani..." she finally pulled away from him now, "Yongguk-ah...maybe we're just not meant to be..."

"JERRRRRKKKK!!" Nicole awoken kicking her feet up now sitting up on her bed, "Omo...it was just a dream..." she lazily fell back onto her bed, she turned her head to her left side to find Yonngguk's eyes wide open, "Ahh!" she quickly nudge away frighten, "You scared me..." she closed her eyes in relief.

"I scared you?!" His deep morning voice asked her in confusion, "I got scared by your JERRRKKKK" he tried to imitate her as he now laughed.

"About that," she turned her whole body towards him as she grabbed him by the collar, "if you dare ever cheat on me..." she pulled him towards her now, "I'll kill you got that?"

"Yee," he smiled as he replied without hesitating.

"Good..." she smiled as she leaned forward pressing her lips lightly onto his.

"Oh..." he pulled away.

"What?" Nicole asked in confusion.

"The baby is crying..." he smiled.

"We'll," she smiled, "it's your turn to give him the bottle..." she smiled.

"Wahh, my wife is so caring..." he sarcastically laughed as he slowly got out of bed while Nicole quickly grabbed him back down towards her.

"Of course she is," she now pressed her lips against his as she could feel him smiling as she pulled away..."I love you..."

"I love you too..." Yongguk smiled as he now made his way towards their baby's bedroom.

Nicole lied back down as she stared up towards their bedroom ceiling. Life was good, she wonder how lucky she was to had married the man she had loved. But those dreams did make her wonder...but then again because it was Yongguk she didn't mind.  Fate had treated her well...she now wonder how her past life was, who she was. She smiled as she then closed her eyes.

"Yeobo!!" She heard Yongguk calling from the other room now, "Jongguk needs a diaper change!!"