I'm Sorry

Then & Now
"How about me?" Ji Eun interrupted him, "What about me who has love you from afar?!" She broke, as her tears stream down her face, "Always one step too far....when will you ever notice me?"

"Ji Eun-ah," Yongguk closed his eyes trying to take in all the words Ji Eun had just said to him, "don't, please don't love someone like me..."

"Then please don't love someone like Nicole anymore, then I'll be able to not love you..." She wiped away her tears.

"I can't..."

"Then please understand my heart..." Ji Eun sat up from where she was, she brushed her chima dress as she began walking away down the steps that would lead her towards the main road.

Yongguk stared out towards the river, all this time someone had been loving him from afar yet he hadn't notice it. Love did made him blind, he was blinded but he had never felt any type of emotion or feelings for Ji Eun and would never be able too. Was Nicole living well?  Was she able to erase him?  Did she forget about all the promises that the two of them made on that hilltop?  Would he ever be able to fall in love with someone new?
 
A month had passed and winter had finally approached, everyone was keeping warm from the coldness that winter had brought.  In the early morning Nicole opened her eyes with Himchan already gone. She slowly pulled herself up and stared down at her stomach, she smiled as she rubbed her belly lightly, Nicole was now one month pregnant with Himchan's child. 
 

"Madam," one of Nicole's servant enter her bedroom chamber bring in Nicole's herbal tea that she was told to take during her pregnancy, "It's time to take your herbal tea..."

"Ahh thank you," Nicole sat towards her now as her servant placed the bowl in her hand.

Nicole gulp the down the tea slowly as it warmed her body up.  After she finished the servant took the tea and left Nicole alone once again in her chamber.  Nicole stood up as she walked towards her jewelry box sitting beside it now, she opened the lid as she stared at the jaded hairpin that Yongguk had given her.  She lightly slid her finger tips on it as she weakly showed a smile.

"Are you doing well?" She asked, "Did you find someone who loves you for who you are?  Have you found happiness after all the pain I left behind for you? Are you able to sleep at night? Are you better without me by your side?" Nicole felt her tears tumbling down her face coldly, "In the blank of an eye everything has changed so much...yet my earnest heart still only wants you...am I a bad person to be feeling this way? For these past few months I've told myself it's best if you and I do not meet, that it's best to not miss you, but step by step I remember all of our promises and the memories that has already dried up..."

Nicole closed the jewelry box as she closed her eyes taking in her emotion that she had been holding in.  Himchan with his head low as his finger tips slowly moved away from the knob of Nicole's and his bedroom chamber. He slowly took two step back as he let out a quiet sigh. After all this time she hadn't gotten over Yongguk, Himchan turned away slowly.

"Sir," Siwan who was holding Nicole's breakfast in a tray with a cloth over it followed Himchan who walked away, "are we not going to give the food to Madam?"

Himchan furiously turned around as he slam the tray of food onto the dirt floor, he was breathing heavily now as the fog of his breath was visible. Siwan quickly bent down to grab for the food, as Nicole quickly got out of the bedroom chamber still in her white silk sleep robe.

"Is something wrong?" Nicole asked as Himchan slowly looked at her.

Others servants came rushing in to help Siwan, Himchan then turned away from Nicole as she watched him walking out of the front gates of their residence.  One of Nicole's servants pulled her lightly asking Nicole to go back inside because of the cold weather that winter brought.

"Ani, just get my bath ready." She order calmly.

"It's about time you find yourself a wife." Sir Bang told Yongguk who seemed a bit annoyed, "it's time you..."

"Ani," he replied,

"So what, you expect for Nicole to come back?" Sir Bang angrily stated as he slammed his right hand on the small desk table in front of him.

"Ani..." He replied with the same answer in the same low tone again.

"What's wrong with you?" Sir Bang let out a heavy sign, "Have you gone crazy?"

"Ani..." Yongguk replied once again.

"In the morning you roam quietly like a ghost, at night you leave to go drink away your sorrow...that's not how a man should live..."

"Ani...the way a man should live is with the person that they love most..."

"You blame me don't you?" Sir Bang finally realized something, "Is it because I refused to let Nicole become your wife because the lack of money we had? You think to yourself if only I had let you then this wouldn't had happened right?" Sir Bang closed his eyes.

"Ani, Ani...I don't blame Appa for my loss, I just blame myself for not being able to be by her side." Yongguk closed his eyes as he clenched both of his fist tightly, Sir Bang slowly opened his eyes as he stared at his son who never spoken about his feelings to him, "I just miss her so much...if I must compare it, it's like the air that we breath without it I feel like I'm a dead man...unable to get her out of my mind I sought a different way to keep her out by drinking my sorrow away...telling myself time would ease the pain away, that it's better this way is all lies...I can't...." Yongguk's voice began to falter as his low voice turned into soft sobs, "I can't seem to let her go..."

"My dear son," Sir Bang placed his hands ontop of Yongguks right fist, "but it's time you let her go, it's time you move on with your life..."

"Ani, I can't..."

"You can, it's just you don't want to."

Himchan enter their residence as Nicole was just passing by. The two stopped and stared at one another, Nicole bowed first as Himchan then followed.

"You should be inside, it's cold." He stated at Nicole.

"I just wanted some fresh air," She smiled, "let's have some tea together?"

The two sat in their bedroom chamber drinking the hot jasmine tea that warmed both of their bodies up yet the atmosphere felt cold with one another.

"Did you really slam the tray down today?" She finall asked.

"Ne," he replied putting down his cup.

"What for?"

"I was mad..." he said, "If I was to have aother wife how would you feel?" he was now becoming angry and Nicole could tell.

"Why would you say something like that?" she frowned.

"I should be asking you that..." he slowly closed his eyes as he inhale heavily.

"What?"

"I can't take it anymore!!" Himchan angrily pushed the tea cattle and cup to the side making a loud crashing sound in their room, Nicole sat calmly, "How could you still love that man when you're carrying my child?! How?!! Do you know how that makes me feel?! Pathetic! Having a wife who has your child but does not love you is too much!! I thought time would make you realize that you can move on, that time would make you love me but how wrong am I?!!!"

"Himchan-ah," Nicole didn't dare to look at his eyes.

"Ani...I can't even look at you..." he quickly stood up as he left her alone.

Nicole picked up the broken glasses that Himchan left behind. She slowly set them on the tray. After she finished she realized her right hand in the middle of her palm was bleeding. I guess you really don't realize pain is there until you see it. The blood dripped down like water faucets that weren't closed all the way.

"What's with all the commo..." Madam Kim enter the chamber as she saw Nicole looking at her bloody hand, "what happened?!" Madam Kim rushed towards Nicole's side as she grabbed Nicole's right hand, "Bring me a warm cloth!!" she yelled out for the servants who quickly came in with a warm cloth as she wrapped it around Nicole's hand.

"It doesn't hurt umma..." Nicole felt her tears falling..."it doesn't hurt as much as what I put Himchan through..."

"Silly girl, what are you talking about?" Madam Kim finished wrapping the cloth around her right hand.

"He must be going through a hard time because of me..."

"Ani, you have to stay healthy and happy for this child." Madam Kim wiped away Nicole's tears.

"I'll like to go visit my parents tomorrow morning if I may."

"Alone?"

"Ne..."

The winter morning was extremely cold that day. Nicole and a few of her servants set off with her to her parents residence. Himchan awoken with Nicole gone. He sat up as he rubbed his tired eyes. He thought about what had happened last night and couldn't figure why he had slashed out his anger at her.

"Siwan!"

"Ye sir," he quickly enter the chamber.

"Please get my bath ready."

"Ye."

Nicole who stood outside her parents gate doors felt bittersweet feelings rushing through her body. She stared at the place where Yongguk had stood on the day she set off. She walked towards the door as she then knocked a few times, before she saw Ari slowly opening the doors.

"He..miss Nicole!" Ari smiled brightly as she lifted up her head surprised to see Nicole.

"Hello Ari," Nicole smiled.

"You're home," Madam Jung grabbed Nicole's hand as they all sat in the living space.

"How's my girl doing?" Sir Jung asked.

"I'm fine..." Nicole smiled, "I came to tell you guys I'm pregnant."

"My Yong Joo is pregnant?" Madam Jung smiled brightly so as Sir Jung.

"Ne, oh Appa and Umma where is Daehyun oppa?" Nicole looked around the room.

"He went somewhere..." Sir Jung stated, "how long are you planning to stay?"

"Not for long, I just wanted to come visit you guys." She lowered her head.

"Child is something bothering you?" Madam Jung asked.

"Ani," Nicole quickly looked up at her parents.

Yongguk reached the top of the hill, today no one was in sight. The cold kept everyone inside. He sat under the willow tree that had shed its last leafs. The winter wind coldly pressed against his face. From the corner of his eyes he spotted someone as he turned his head to the left there he saw Nicole standing looking out towards the river.

"Nicole-ah..." he whispered under his breath.

She turned towards the willow tree and saw Yongguk already starring at her. Nicole's eyes widen in surprised, as she stood still.

"Yongguk-ah..." she whispered to herself.

He slowly stood up from where he was at as he felt his two feet slowly inching towards her. She watched as he appaorched her.

"Is that really you Nicole-ah?" he asked. 

Nicole lowered her head as he was now standing in front of her with his hands on both of her shoulders.

"I'm not dreaming right?" he stated.

"Ani..." She looked up.

"Yongguk-ah," Yongguk heard Daehyuns voice shaking him up from his dream, "Yongguk-ah..." Daehyun then pulled back as he sat beside him.

"It's already morning?" he asked.

"Ani, it's already the afternoon..." Daehyun stated, "I was roaming around the market place when I thought I'll come visit you."

"Ah," he sat up rubbing the left side of his head.

"Get ready, let's go to my house...I want to discuss something important with you."

"Why can't we just talk here?" He asked confused.

"Just hurry."

Nicole enter her old bedroom chamber that was left exactly the same way it was when she left. Her mattress nicely folded up to the side of her room. The only major thing missing was her wooden boxsess. She walked back out and saw Ji Eun entering the front gates, Ji Eun who didn't see Nicole walked towards the living space. As Nicole felt her feet moving forward she saw Daehyun and Yongguk entering the front gates. Nicole's eyes widen as she watched the two of them entering the living space. She turned around, after all this time he seemed okay. He seemed fine. It made her heart felt warmth...unable to face him she decided to leave quietly through the back doors with her servants.

"Ah, Ji Eun-ah you're already here." Daehyun smiled, "Umma, Appa you two where here the whole time too?" Yongguk bowed as he took a seat.

"Daehyun-ah," Madam Jung smiled, "your sisters here." Yongguk's eyes widen as Ji Eun looked at him.

"Nicole's home?" Daehyun asked surprised, "Wahhh, I missed her where is she?"

"She wanted to go look at her bedroom, she brought some good news today." Sir Jung smiled, "she's pregnant."

These words cut through Yongguk's ears as he lowered his head. He slowly stood up from where he was as he bowed goodbye to everyone.

"Please excuse me, I don't feel to well."

"But I haven't you haven't even seen Nicole yet..." Daehyun protested, "Ji Eun quick let the three of us go surprise her at her room.

The three of them made their way towards her bedroom. As the reached the front door Daehyun slowly opened them and leaned his head inside to find no one.

"She's not here," Daehyun state as she swung the doors open entering it as the other two followed behind.

"She must've gone home," Ji Eun replied.

"Daehyun I'm going home now," Yongguk turned around, "you can talk to me another day." Yongguk left without another word. Ji Eun watche as he left.

"Don't worry," Daehyun looked at Ji Eun who seemed disappointed, "I'll figure something out." She slightly nodded her head agreeing.

Nicole was up at the hilltop now, she was standing under the willow tree as her servants were down by the main road waiting for her. Seeing Yongguk from afar was already enough for her. She looked up towards the willow tree that had no more leafs, she lowered her head now, turning around to find Yongguk right in front of her.

"Yongguk-ah..."

"Did you really not want to see me that's why you left without a word?" He smiled at her weakly, "If you thought I didn't see you I did...Everytime I come to visit your room is the first place I look at." he said, "congratulation..."

"For what?" she asked.

"I heard your pregnant now...he must be treating you well..."

"Yongguk...I hope you're doing well..."

"I am," he lied, "life's been treating me well,"

"I see..." she smiled, "I better get going now." Nicole bowed as she brushed past him.

Though he wanted to grabbed her hands and stop her from leaving he couldn't. He turned around and watched as she slowly made her way down the steps. His heart ached over and over. He couldn't tell her how hurt he was, she seemed happy yet he couldn't let go. Because it only seemed as though she was happy...her eyes told him everything. He wonder if his did the same to her.

When Nicole reached home she enter the cooking area to make her herbal tea herself. She waited for it to heat up. She heard the doors opening and saw Himchan.

"Oh, what are you doing here?" She asked as she grabbed for her bowl of herb.

"You saw him today?" he asked.

"What?"

"You didn't go to your parents house did you?"

 
"Kim Himchan,"

"Jung Nicole Yong Joo!" he walked towards her as he slapped the hot herbal tea out of her hand, "You went to see Bang Yongguk did you or did you not!!" he yelled out of frustration now.

"I saw him at my parents house..." she stated, "and accidentally met him up in the hilltop.."

"Because you knew he would be there..." he raised his hand as Nicole then felt his hand slapping the right side of her face, "how could you cheat on your own husband!!"

Nicole gritted her teeth not wanting to show her tears. It wasn't the physical pain that hurt her it was the emotional pain that had settled in.

"Himchan," she looked up at him.

"WHY?!!" Himchan without thinking kicked Nicole in the stomach sending her onto the floor as she held her stomach.

Sweat rushed in as she felt the baby inside of her slowly erupting. Madam Kim and Sir Kim rushed in with several of the other servants. Himchan stood shock by what he had just done. Had he gone crazy? He saw the blood spreading around her as she cried.

"What's going on here!!" Madam Kim yelled in horror as she rushed to Nicole's side, "go fetch for the towns doctor!!"

"What have you done!!!" Sir Kim swung his hand right across Himchan's face. Himchan did not budge the pain felt numb to him as he stared at his wife who was now in pain. He knew his baby was now gone too and he knew it was all because he let his emotion get the best of him.

"She's okay, but she did have a miscarriage." The towns doctor told the Kim family who were standing outside in the winter night, "I'll be back by morning to check up on her."

"Thank you," They all bowed before him as he and a few of his nurses left.

"I'm sorry," Himchan stated in front of his parents, "I let my feelings get the best of me and that caused so many hurtful feelings tonight."

"Go stay by her side tonight." Madam Kim wiped away her tears, "that's all you can do now." with that she and her husband walked away towards their bedroom.

Himchan entered his and Nicole's bedroom chamber. She was sleeping like a baby as he sat down beside her grabbing for her hands that were placed nicely on her stomach.

"I'm so sorry..." he said, "I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promises...that I'll love you and be a good husband." he closed his eyes as his tears ran down coldly.

"Ani," he heard a soft low voice replying as he opened his teary eyes with Nicole already awake. She looked pale and so fragile. Like a new born baby that you just want to hold closely to because of the fear of them breaking, "don't cry, I don't blame anything on you..." she said as if she was running out of breath, "you can sleep beside me if you like."

"Ani, I'll be beside you, you get some rest."

"Goodnight." She then closed her eyes once again as she felt his hand holding tightly onto her. For the first time she felt comfort something she hadn't felt since she got married.