► Sector Eight

► A Game of Equilibrium — "May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor."

A gravestone stood firmly in front of me, and I shifted my eyes as to avoid the name that was engraved upon it. A bundle of flowers were held in one hand, while a handkerchief was pressed against my endless tears.

My throat hurt, but I had to say something, "Artemis." I crooked, obviously with no reply. My laughter shook and didn't sound too confident, but I swallowed the tears that tried to come out again. "I..." I paused and took a few deep breaths. "I find it kind of hard to believe that you're still not here." My smile distorted into a frown that made me halt from screaming at the top of my lungs. "You know, it's even harder to know that... I'm turning older than you now."

The bouquet that was in my hand was placed neatly next to his tombstone. "How old were you? 15...? Aha, Artemis, your little sister is now 16." Sniff. "Art... You could have been 20 by now." I smiled to myself at the thought of my brother growing old. "I could have officially called you old man! ... So why? Why did you leave?"

"Jo." My ears twitched when I heard my name - my heart pacened thinking it was my brother. But I was completely aware of who's voice this belonged to.

The longing in my heart for Artemis' voice was not fulfilled. The longing in my heart for Artemis to sit up and steal my food off my plate was not fulfilled. The longing in my heart for Artemis himself... was not fulfilled.

I turned my back to Artemis' grave and looked up at my eldest brother. "Mizushima?" I rubbed at my eyes.

He frowned at the use of his common name. "Jo, you've been here for three days now. You're aware the hearing's just around the corner right?"

"So what? Do you want me to sit home and await my death?"

At the sound of my words, Amyntas clenched his jaw. He didn't like how I was being so negative. "How are you even sure you're going to be picked?" He raised his voice at me - and I knew by this time he was growing frustrated because of my pessimistic attitude.

There was a stiffled laugh caught in my throat and I merely shrugged. "It's obvious, the ol' "Oh Family Sacrifice" no?"

"Enough of that! I heard you say that to Olympia, and I do not want to hear you speak such words ever again!"

Irritation filled my thoughts and I opened my mouth to speak.

That day I hurt my brother more than I thought possible. I said the cruelest words and broke his heart. If I could rewind time and go back to that day I would have told him "I'm sorry. And good bye."


I don't think I'll extend the deadline anymore.
We still don't have enough  applicants.
So if I don't get at least 5 by December 10th, 
then I guess you guys can count this apply fic as officially closed.
Unless something decides to change our minds.
this teaser is terrible, because I'm doing it at work.