08;;

Don't Wish Life Away

 

As the two waited at the bus stop together, silence filled the air. The two haven’t said a word to another after exiting the café.

‘Why did she want to leave all of a sudden?’ Zico asked inside his mind.

‘I can’t believe he agreed on taking me home.’ Ren talked inside her mind.

‘Maybe I should’ve let Ukwon come instead.’ Zico said this time.

‘Why is my mind so indecisive on what I want?’ Ren asked, and then looks at him.

“The bus is taking forever, don’t you think?” Ren tried stirring up a conversation. “Mm,” Zico mumbled an answer, as he glanced away.

“Zico,” she called out to him, and Zico looked at her. “Yes?” He asked, and Ren let out a sigh. “How does it feel to like a person?” Ren asked, and Zico’s eyes widened.

“What? Hahaha! What kind of question is that?” Zico asked with laughter filling up inside, and Ren angrily pouts at him. “You’re so rude,” she plainly replied, and Zico lowered down his audible laugh.

“Sorry, I’ve just never encountered that question before,” he responded with a bit of giggles. “You don’t like anyone, do you?” Ren asked, and Zico pursed his lips together and thought for a sec.

“I think I do, but I’m not quite sure,” he answered. “So if you’re not sure, then you don’t like the person enough to be in the relationship, right?” She questioned some more.

Zico looked at her filled with confusion, as Ren seemed to have spaced out, gazing up the sky.

“Do you happen to be interest in someone?” Zico asked Ren a question this time, and she shrugged at it. “I don’t quite know,” she mumbled quietly, and then the bus pulled up finally.

The two friends hopped inside the bus, as Zico and Ren then sat next to each other. Silence had filled the air again, as it was just the both of them inside the bus.

“Ren, if it’s okay with you, can I take you to a secret place of mine?” Zico asked, and Ren turned to face him. “Just how many places do you have, which no one knows of?” Ren asked, and Zico chuckled.

“I have lots of places to hide from everyone, as I can’t ever seem to find the right person to show,” Zico answered, and Ren squinted her eyes at him.

“Are you being cheesy with me again?” Ren asked, and Zico laughed. “I never do that, and you know it,” he answered. “Fine, we’ll go to this secret spot of yours,” she replied, and Zico blissfully smiled.

When the bus came to a stop in an unknown area to Ren, Zico pulled her out with their fingers entwine together. Whilst walking along on a quiet road with quite the decent amount of lampposts around, questions came to her mind.

Is Zico taking her here to kill her?

Is something bad going to happen?

Why is it that there is no one around?

Where are they heading?

“I once got lost around here when I ran away from home,” Zico spoke up to throw the awkward silence away. “Oh?” Was all that came out from Ren.

“Anyways, I’m glad to have gotten lost around this area. I got to know it better than anyone else, and it’s refreshing,” Zico continued, as he pulled Ren up front from him.

Pointing down to what seems like tiny lights, Ren squinted her eyes to take a better glimpse. Her eyes soon went back to normal size, as she turned to face Zico. Without knowing any better, both their faces were closer than ever.

“Aii!” Ren jumped back, as the two almost kissed. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to,” Zico replied, as he glanced away. “No, it’s okay,” she replied, as she returned to face the scenery once more.

They were on an abandoned hill road, which haven’t been used in ages. The two sat down on the plain yellow grass, as Zico told Ren stories about his lost adventure. Listening and laughing, both Ren and Zico felt their heart beating at a quickening pace.

“Not even the guys know about this area?” Ren asked, as she looked around the dark opening that surrounds her. “Nope,” Zico answered, as he plucked a few dead grass.

“Why don’t they?” She asked, and Zico shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess it’s best to not have them know, as I’d like my own privacy sometimes,” he answered, and Ren turned to his direction.

“Then why are you showing me?” Ren asked, and Zico who had forgotten that his fingers are still entwine with Ren’s, squeezed her hand tighter. “Because…” he started out, trying very hard to not say something wrong.

“Because?” Ren asked, as she was looking at him for an answer.

Struggling to find an answer, Zico swayed his head back and forth for a while.

“You see, Ren. I noticed that you always seemed to be hanging out on top of the school’s rooftop. Well, sitting up there doesn’t really release stress, or get any of your thinking done. I took you here so that you can use it sometimes. Release all your problems here, and leave home with a smile,” Zico answered.

She gave him a heartfelt smile, and then did something that Zico never thought. Ren kissed Zico on his left cheek, as she squeezed his hand this time.

“Thanks for your concern, friend,” she replied, and then turned back to view the lights.

Zico’s heart was beating faster than before, as he couldn’t believe to receive such a soft and loving kiss on the cheek from Ren. He almost felt like fainting right on the spot too.

“So, my birthday is coming up,” Zico flatly said, as he tried to stir up a conversation. “Oh yeah? When?” She asked, and Zico told her the date. “September 14th,” Zico answered.

“Are you doing anything special?” Ren asked, and Zico chuckled. “Not really,” he answered. “Why not? It’s your birthday,” she replied, and Zico shrugged.

“My parents stopped celebrating my birthday, and my brother just bullies me on that day. Plus, the guys are lame at throwing me a surprise party, so nothing special,” Zico answered, and Ren giggled.

“I guess you’re not so special after all,” she jokingly said, and Zico furrowed his eyebrows at her. “Yah, you’re so mean!” Zico pouted, and Ren stuck her tongue out at him.

After staring out to the beautiful scenery, Zico glanced back at Ren. Though she was spacing out at the nice view, Ren was the gorgeous light in front to Zico.

“Ren, when you were talking about liking someone, why did you want to know?” Zico asked, as he brought up the old subject. “Well, I want to know what it feels like to like a person whom I will never see myself with,” Ren answered.

“Whom don’t you see yourself with?” Zico asked, and Ren turned to face him.

‘You.’ She answered inside her head.

“I don’t see myself with Ukwon, as I notice that my feelings for him are nothing. But how he likes me and all, I want to know why he sees himself with being with me? Look at me, Zico. I will never be the great girlfriend a guy thinks, or the perfect wife for someone’s parents to adore,” Ren answered, and Zico was once again annoyed at how she was putting herself.

“Ren, you’re one of a kind. Ukwon saw the inside of you, whom isn’t bogus and is tough. Well, he’s never talked about how much he likes you, but let’s use an example,” Zico said, as he tried to think of an example.

Looking back at Ren, Zico decided to use his feelings as an example. Use it all, so it will sound like he’s confessing, as he knows that liking Ren right now will only be a mere crush. Ren belongs to Ukwon, not him.

“For example, look at you and Tami. She’s nothing but a clingy and annoying girl, as you’re a mature and fit woman. Also, you’re calm when someone tries to fight or argue with you. Plus, you’re hardworking and dedicate your love into school and work. Not just that, you still love your mother. Now and days, teenagers like us barely care for their sick parents. They choose to have fun, and never know when a loved one will leave,” Zico gave out his examples, and then sighed in relief.

Though his example didn’t sound much like a confession, he was glad to let it out. Everything he simply explained was nothing but the truth. Ren is definitely a woman whom any guy is lucky to have.

“Thanks for being honest, Jiho. I’m really glad to have my trust in you,” Ren said, and Zico beamed. “No worries at all. I’m an honest man, and will never lie about anything,” he replied, still smiling.

“If you’re honest like you said, can I ask you something?” Ren asked, and Zico nodded his head. “Shoot,” he replied, and Ren took a deep breath.

“What will you say if I tell you that the person I’m interested in is you?” Ren came out in blunt, as Zico gave her a shocking look. “What?” He asked, and Ren chuckled.

“I’m joking!” She laughed, as she punched him on the arm. “You pabo!” Zico pouted this time, and Ren snorted. “You should’ve seen the look on your face. It was priceless,” Ren said, as she started slapping her knees.

“Hmph, you want to laugh that bad?” Zico asked, as he finally released their interlocked fingers, and placed both hands on his hips. “I’m already laughing,” Ren gave a smart reply back.

“Oh yeah? I’m going to make you laugh so hard, which will make you pee in your pants!” He furiously shouts, as he tackles Ren down and tickles her.

“Jiho, stop it! Jiho-yah!” Ren shouted with laughter, as she couldn’t take on anymore of Zico’s tickling. “Are you peeing yet?” Zico asked whilst ticking Ren still. “You’re so gross!” Ren sniggered, and Zico continued on.

Trying to fight for Zico to stop, Ren grabbed onto both his hands, but didn’t know how fast he reacted to it. Zico switched around, and snatched Ren’s hands this time, as he pinned her down to the ground.

Chuckling and panting at the same time, the two slowly came to a stop when both faces were inches apart. Zico could smell the light scent of Ren, and she too, smelled the drowning cologne of his.

Bending his head lower, Zico planted his lips on top of Ren’s. Responding back gradually, Ren found her lips massaging his. Zico then released Ren’s wrist, as his hands crawled up to tangle with her fingers again.

The kiss was long, but the night was short. Zico pulled away slowly, as he looked deep into Ren’s eyes. Blinking at him, Ren’s lips formed to a tiny smile.

He helped her up from the ground, and both retreated back on the road home. While walking home, Zico and Ren held hands like a couple. Not only did the two held hands, but also Ren hugged an arm of Zico’s, as her hand stayed glued to his.

“Goodnight,” Zico said, as they finally reached Ren’s front porch. “Night,” she whispered back. “Sleep well,” he continued. “Sweet dreams,” she replied.

Still, the two didn’t move. Zico and Ren stood like statues, holding both hands, as they stared into each other’s eyes.

“You should really go inside,” Zico told her, as he released her hands and lightly rubbed her arms. “You should also head home,” Ren replied back, as she played with Zico’s cold ears.

Suddenly, Zico pulled her into his warm embrace. Hugging each other tightly like no tomorrow, Ren broke the hug and let out a tiny laughter.

Zico brushed a lock of Ren’s hair behind her ear, and then caressed her soft cheek. Hoping that tomorrow won’t stain another bruise on her face, Zico kissed Ren’s cheek.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Zico said, and then places his hands in his pockets. “Mm,” Ren replied, and then waved to him as she soon disappeared inside her home.

Of course, Zico climbed the tree near Ren’s house, and watched through the windows of her home. Surprisingly, Ren’s father wasn’t home. Ren had disappeared in the hallway, and never returned back out to the living room.

Gradually smiling to himself, Zico then knew that his angel, Chae Ji Ren is safe.

 

Ren hung out in the library once again during break, as nothing but a pure smile glued onto her face. She just couldn’t stop thinking about last night, as everything seemed too much of a dream.

Though Ren didn’t know what she and Zico are, she was glad that he was the one. Zico was the guy to take her first kiss. Giggling to herself at the thought, Ren then began believing in fairytales.

Zico on the other hand, felt a bit of guilt inside. He had forgotten about Ukwon, after his eyes met Ren’s. Not only that, he even got to taste the sweet lips of Ren’s, and both delightfulness and pain stabbed Zico’s heart.

Ukwon who knew nothing about it, smiles away and calls Zico his friend. Even though Ukwon and Ren weren’t dating, Zico was angry that he had kissed someone that his best friend is really into.

But Zico couldn’t blame himself either, as he had found himself falling deeply for Ren. It was no longer just a mere crush. Zico wants Ren to be his girlfriend. After they shared that kiss, Zico knew it that Ren is the one.

However though, how will he break it to Ukwon that he had fallen for Ren too?

“Since you’re going to be the big two o next, we should preparty at my place, then go to the club,” Jaehyo insisted, and Zico scoffed. “You know I don’t like to do those stuff,” Zico replied, and the boys all snickered.

“You had the time of your life, when Kyung turned 20,” BBomb said, and Zico laughed. “That’s because it was fun watching drunk people be stupid,” Zico humorously gave out a reply, and his friends smacked his head.

“How about we just throw Zico to the Han River?” Taeil asked, and the boys high fived each other. “That’d be a great surprise for him,” Ukwon joked, and Zico hissed.

“So much for being my friends,” he sighed, and the boys laughed at him.

As everyone was busy making fun of Zico, Ren walked by their spot without noticing them. Zico and Ukwon’s head shot up, as the two shouted out for her. Ren turned her direction towards the boys’ table, and gave them a wave with a melting smile.

After Ren disappeared, Ukwon and Zico looked at each other in confusion. Not only were they questioning inside their thoughts about each other, both their four friends were confused as well.

“Are you both into Ren, or what?” BBomb asked, and Zico’s eyes widened at his friend’s question. “I thought you hated Ren,” Jaehyo asked Zico, but Taeil shook his head.

“If Zico hated Ren, then why was she the ‘special’ girl to be at Hanhae hyung’s café? Think about it, Zico said that he’ll never bring a girl there, unless she’s ‘the one’,” Taeil answered, and Zico gawked at Ukwon.

“Is it true? Do you like Ren?” Ukwon asked, and Zico can see the pain on his best friend’s face. “That’s weird though, because if I remember clearly, Ukwon is the one into Ren,” Kyung said, as he butted in the conversation.

At that moment, the five boys turned their eyes at Zico. Angrily, Zico stood up from his seat and slammed the table hard with both hands.

“I don’t like her, okay?!” He shouted loud and clear, as his friends jumped back in horror.

Ren, who actually didn’t go anywhere, as she was hiding behind the concrete wall, broke into a quiet laugh. She shouldn’t have kept her hopes up high, as Ren cried a little inside.

Of course, Zico would never like a girl like her.

 

When classes had ended, Zico hurried out to catch up with Ren, as he wanted to talk about last night. As he finally reaches Ren, Zico saw a hurt expression on her face.

“Ren, about last night…” he started out, but didn’t seem to pull anything out. Ren’s expression was seriously killing him. “Last night was nothing, I get it,” Ren finished, and Zico nodded his head.

Suddenly, he shook his head and again grabbed Ren’s shoulders.

“No, last night was something,” Zico said, but Ren brushed his hands off.

“It’s okay, Jiho. I understand, and it’s okay. I don’t hate you though, as you are a trustworthy friend of mine. Let’s pretend like nothing happened last night. It’s the best for you and me,” Ren interrupted, and then turned around to leave.

Zico wanted to chase after her, as last night meant everything to him. It’s just; he doesn’t understand why Ren was saying those words to him.

Had she heard what he blurted out earlier in the afternoon? Zico shook his head, as he watched Ren’s figure getting smaller and smaller.

“I’m sorry, Ji Ren,” Zico whispered.



 

OH GERD. I JUST WANNA CRY! 

SHOOT ME, SOMEONE!

I HAD HURT BOTH REN AND ZICO! 

;____________;