06;;

Don't Wish Life Away

Ren reached home sooner than she had thought, and found her father snoring away on the couch. She sighed at the sight of his laziness, and turned off the television. Ren walked inside her room, and soon changed into her working uniform after.

She then exits out of her bedroom, and started cleaning up the empty beer cans on the floor. Sweeping away and wiping her sweats, Ren felt like tipping over and falling asleep.

When Ren got done with the housework, she left the house with her drunken sleeping father and walked to work. However, she made a stop at the hospital to check up on her mother first. Ren had forgotten to visit her mother yesterday, and decided to do so today.

“Oh Ren, you’re here just in—Your eye, Ren,” the family doctor greets her, and then spots her black eye. “What is it that you wanted to say?” Ren asked, ignoring the subject about her bruised eye. “Your mother, she was just asking about you. She’s awake, and I don’t think she’ll like seeing the black eye,” the doctor answered, and Ren lowered her head.

“I’m going to see her now,” Ren said, and bowed to the doctor. “Don’t upset her, Ren,” the doctor said, and Ren nodded her head.

“Mother,” Ren called to her mom, and her mother clapped with joy. “Ji Ren, my darling. I’m so happy to see you here. I was just telling the nurses that you’re studying hard to go abroad in America,” Ren’s mother praised her highly, and the nurses excused themselves.

“Oh, is that so?” Ren replied, and her mother grinned. “You are going to America like how you promised me, aren’t you? So I had to compliment you. You’re my hardworking daughter!” Ren’s mother said, and Ren planted a small smile on her face. “Whatever that makes mother happy, I’m happy,” Ren replied, as she tried not to face her mother fully.

“Ji Ren-ah, look at me. I miss seeing your beautiful face,” her mother pleaded, and Ren’s heart started to beat fast. “Mother, have you taken your medication yet?” Ren asked, as she looked away to face the drawers behind her.

“I’ve taken them already. The doctor told me that, if I continue on with the medication, I might get to come home,” Ren’s mother excitedly said, and Ren tried to smile.

The going home part was all a lie. Ren knew it, and her mother did too, of course.

“Ji Ren, mother misses looking at her beautiful daughter. Let me see you,” her mother pleaded again, and Ren twitched at her mother’s warm touch. “Mother, I have to use the restroom, and soon head to work. I’ll come back tomorrow,” Ren spoke up, and exits out of the room without having her mother look at her.

“Please, explain to her that I’m not mad,” Ren told the family doctor, and he nodded his head. Ren bowed, and headed out to where the benches were seated in front of the hospital building. She curled her knees up to her face, and Ren bawled her eyes out. “I’m sorry, mother,” Ren cried into her hands, as she couldn’t show her bruised face to her mother.

“Ren?” A familiar voice called to her. Ren looked up, and slowly wiped her tears away, as the blurry vision cleared up to see Zico standing in front of her. He was dressed in patient’s outfit, which surprised Ren.

“What are you doing here crying?” Zico asked, as he sat down next to Ren. “I…I…I came to visit someone only,” Ren answered, as her sniffles were getting caught up in between her sentence.

“Did this ‘someone’ die or something?” Zico asked with caution, and Ren started to cry again. “Ren, stop crying. I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to say that. I have such a bad mouth!” Zico apologized hastily, as he started slapping his mouth. “Stop it, Jiho. Are you crazy?” Ren asked, as she held onto Zico’s hands.

“Well, I didn’t know that the person died. I’m truly sorry,” he apologized, and lowered his head in Ren’s presence. She quietly chuckled at his silliness, and released his hands.

“The person isn’t dead,” Ren answered, as she wiped her tears again. “Oh? This person is still alive? Then why cry like there’s no tomorrow?” Zico asked, and Ren glared at him. “Because the person might not have a tomorrow,” Ren answered, and Zico nodded his head gradually.

“Don’t cry, Ren. Well, I mean you can cry all you want, but the person isn’t dead. So cry when the person is dead, not alive. The more you bawl your heart out, the more the person will feel pain and not live long. Ren, smile to this person, and hold their hand everyday to feel their warmth. As you said, the person might not have a tomorrow,” Zico spoke up, and Ren glanced at him in confusion.

“Are you teaching me on how to keep someone alive?” Ren asked, and Zico chuckled. “What? I’m not teaching, just saying. Also, it’s pretty weird to see the tough class representative cry,” Zico answered, and Ren gave out a slight giggle.

“Wait, so why are you here again?” Ren asked Zico, as she pointed at his hospital clothing. Zico chortled, and blushed in embarrassment. “This is embarrassing…” Zico mumbled, and Ren smiled at him.

“Jiho-yah, what are you doing out here? It’s time now,” a middle aged woman called for Zico, and Ren turned towards the woman’s direction. “Yes mother, I’ll be there in a minute!” Zico responded back, and then turned to smile at Ren. “I got to go now. See you later,” he replied, and walked to where his mother was.

“Who’s that girl?” Zico’s mother asked. “A friend,” he answered and shrugged. “She looks more like a girlfriend to me,” his mother joked, and Zico blushed. “Mom, she’s not my girlfriend. We’re just friends, that’s all,” he replied, and then entered inside the hospital.

Ren reached to work, and again with loud sighs, Sung Hee came and gave her a hug.

“What was this black eye for?” Sung Hee asked, and Ren looked away. “I went home late last night,” Ren answered, and Sung Hee sulked in.

“That’s it? The old man is barely ever home! Heck, I don’t even know if he cares for your mother anymore. Every time I see a mark on you, it pisses me off,” Sung Hee angrily lashes the counter, and Ren shrugged.

“What can I do?” Ren asked, and Sung Hee placed both hands on her waist. “Move in with me, duh! Ren, I have to get you out of that hell hole,” Sung Hee answered, but Ren shook her head.

“I can’t as much as I want to. I know that he beats me up for unreasonable things, but he is still my father,” Ren said, and Sung Hee shook her head. “If he did truly see you as his daughter, he would not abuse you,” Sung Hee replied, and Ren let out a sigh.

“Ren, you can’t work today with your black eye. I’m really sorry,” Sung Hee said, and Ren nodded her head. “I understand,” she replied forlornly. “But you’re moving out, you here me?” Sung Hee told Ren before she exit out of the store.

Ren just gave a slight nod to Sung Hee, and closed the door behind her. After walking down the streets, Ren then remembered about the orphanage that Ukwon had once took her to.

“Oh, it’s the beautiful unnie!” The little girls shouted, as they saw Ren. “Hi kids,” Ren greeted them with a smile. “Noona, how do you do?” Jihoon shyly greeted her with a bow, and Ren chuckled.

Jihoon then looked up afterwards, and saw the black eye on Ren. He was worried, but tried to avoid it.

“Kids, go play somewhere else,” Jihoon shooed the kids away, as he hung out with Ren alone. “Is Ukwon here?” Ren asked, and Jihoon shook his head. “You just missed him. Ukwon hyung was here just five minutes before you arrived,” he answered.

Ren’s expression softened, but then smiled at the young boy Jihoon.

“I’ll catch up with you later then,” Ren said, as she flashed him a smile. “Come visit again!” Jihoon waved, and Ren soon disappeared.

Feeding the ducks alone at the riverside, Ren thought back to when Ukwon joked around. Suddenly remembering about Zico, Ren wondered as to why he was at the hospital today.

 

“Yo, Ren,” Ukwon called for her, and Ren snapped out of her thoughts. “Hey,” she greeted him back, and Ukwon sat next to her. “Jihoon texted me that you were looking for me. What’s up?” He asked, and Ren nodded her head.

“Uhmm, I know that I shouldn’t be asking you, but I don’t know who to ask,” Ren mumbled a few words, and Ukwon gazed at her confusedly. “Whom are you talking about?” Ukwon asked.

“Jiho,” Ren answered, and Ukwon’s expression softened. “What about him?” Ukwon asked. “I…I saw him at the hospital today,” Ren answered. “Oh, are you stalking him?” Ukwon jokingly asked, and Ren slapped his arm.

“No, I was visiting someone. However, I came upon on meeting Jiho there. It was quite odd, because he seemed such a changed person and looked so different,” Ren explained, and Ukwon gradually exhaled.

“Though I want to tell you about him, I can’t. This is Zico’s own business, and maybe it’s best if you’re to ask him and not me,” Ukwon replied, and Ren nodded her head.

Understanding from where Ukwon stands, he is a friend who will protect Zico’s inner problems. It’s almost the same as Ren hiding her own troubles; it’s just slightly different, as she doesn’t have a close friend besides Sung Hee.

“Ren-ssi,” Ukwon broke the silence between the two, and Ren turned to face him. “Yes?” She looked at him.

Seeing that huge black eye around Ren’s eye nearly broke Ukwon’s heart. He wanted to just pull her into a hug, and tell Ren that she’s the one for him and will forever and always protect only her.

“Why are you so clumsy?” Ukwon asked, as he knew it that the question was over all stupid. Ren giggled, as she covered her bruised eye. “It was dark and I rushed to the bathroom,” she cackled some more, and Ukwon chuckled along with her.

Soon enough, he shifted his hand nearer to Ren’s and held it. Ren looked at Ukwon, and watched him entwine their fingers together.

“Ukwon-ah…” Ren muttered out his name, as she felt great warmth from him.

Ukwon chuckled shyly, as he turned his head away.

“I…uh…Ren, I’ve always liked you. I don’t know if you feel the same towards me, but I really want to be your boyfriend,” Ukwon finally confessed, and a tiny gasp escaped from Ren’s mouth.

“Ukwon-ssi, I’m really grateful for your admiration, but you deserve someone better than me,” Ren told him, as she released her hand away from his.

Coldly rejected, and Ukwon felt his heart sinking low to the ground.

“I-I-I’m sorry,” Ren apologized, and bowed. “But Ren…” Ukwon’s soft voice spoke up. “I’m really sorry,” her voice cracked a bit, as she dashed off and away from him.

“Ji Ren-ssi!” Ukwon yelled after her.

Ren ran and ran, until she was out of breath and faraway from Ukwon. Panting and holding onto her chest, she shut her eyes tightly and what seemed like tears, roll down her eyes.

“I’m sorry, Ukwon,” Ren whispered breathlessly, and then continued on her way to wherever she was headed to.

Rejecting to such a kind man was wrong to do, as Ren felt like she knew one day she’ll regret, but it is best for the two of them. Though she wants someone there, Ren doesn’t want to bring him or her down along her road.

Ren wishes for nothing but safety for the other person only. No troubles, as she’s caused enough for herself.

 

She was sitting alone on the school’s rooftop, as her legs swung down on the edge. Ren sipped on her bottle of orange juice, as she felt the gentle breeze brush past her.

“Hey Ren,” Zico’s hoarse voice greeted from behind, and Ren turned her head back to face him. “Hey,” she replied him also.

Seeing at how fearless Ren is, Zico examined her. She doesn’t seem to be her usual self today, as Zico noticed something different about Ren. She was too quiet, and her expression showed nothing but full of sorrows.

“He…your friend…Ukwon, he confessed to me,” Ren spoke up breaking the silence, and Zico’s eyes widened in shock.

Zico didn’t know whether to be excited or subdued about the news. After all, Ren’s appearance didn’t seem very bright.

“So what was your answer?” Zico asked curiously, and Ren let out a sigh. “I rejected him,” she answered, and Zico shut his eyes tightly.

“Why Ren? He’s a really good guy! You and him would be great together!” He blurted out, and Ren gave him a confused look.

“When I found out that Ukwon liked you, I thought he was nuts. However, hanging out with you was nothing but great awesomeness. Also, Ukwon can be there to protect you and knowing how caring he always is too. Why didn’t you take the chance?” Zico explained, and Ren shook his head.

“You wouldn’t understand,” she spat. “Then make me understand. That’s what I’ve been wanting from you, Ren. To understand you,” Zico replied, but Ren shook her head again.

“No one will ever understand me. I sometimes don’t even know who I am anymore,” Ren flat out said, and Zico held onto her hand. “You are Chae Ji Ren, the Class Representative who kicked the kingka’s !” Zico praised her.

“No, I’m just a helpless abused kid,” Ren said instead, as her sniffles were slowly forming.

To see Ren weak like this, it truly pained Zico right in the heart. He gently pulled Ren down from the edge, and hugged her into his arms. Ren soon started pouring her eyes out, as Zico embraced her warmly.

“I don’t know if you ever thought about committing suicide, but I once did. Then someone came along and told me to not do it. Life is full of both happiness and sorrow. You can’t choose one, as they’re both given to you freely in life. Just live with both as long as you can, until you grow old and die,” Zico answered, and Ren’s sobs softens.

“Why are you being so nice to me like Ukwon? Why are you both caring for me so much?” Ren asked, and Zico let out a chuckle. “For one thing, Ukwon likes you, so he cares for you,” Zico answered, and then Ren sat up to face him.

“Then the other thing? You don’t like me too, do you?” Ren asked, as she wiped her tears.

Zico sat there frozen in his post. Not knowing how to answer her, he slightly pats the back of his head and laughed.

Does he like her also?

Has Zico drawn interest in Ren?

“I can’t like my best friend’s girl,” Zico said, as he glanced away. “But I’m not his girl,” Ren replied, and Zico faced her again.

“Ren,” he softly calls for her name, and then placed his hand on Ren’s cheek.

Thinking back to when he had followed her home and witnessed Ren’s father beating her up like a ragged doll, Zico couldn’t tell one of the truths. As for the other truth, Zico is still trying to find it out by himself.

“Zico, I really hope that you and your friend Ukwon won’t have feelings for a girl like me. You both really deserve better,” Ren said, as she removed Zico’s hands and walked away.

Zico sighed to himself, as he lowered his down and cackled. He was confused like a lost puppy that doesn’t know its own home. Zico didn’t even know if he does like Ren, or if it’s just how much he cares for her.

Somehow, when Zico had embraced Ren in his arms like earlier, he felt happy. His heart was filled with pure joyfulness, and Zico’s mind wished to had hug Ren longer. Not only his mind, but also his heart would pound in such a fast pace every time Ren is near him.

Has he really fallen for Ren?

Is he going to betray his best friend, so that Ren can be his?

Questions roamed inside Zico’s head, and soon a headache aroused.

“I’m just confused!” He shouted out to the open area.

 

 


 

 

HI HI HI! OF COURSE I DIDN'T FORGET THIS STORY! XDD

 

Any who, PSY WAS ON THE VMA! I ALMOST CRIED! hahaahahah!

AND THEN BLOCK B'S NEW OST SONG! <333333333333333333

SUPER LOVEY DOVEY LOVE! LOL!

Zico and Taeil's bday coming up soon!

WOOT WOOT!

XDD