A sip of Americano

Disobedient

For all his life (or until now), Yifan had been a filial son, caring brother and a hardworking grade A student. He did what his parents told him to and never rebutted once before, he couldn’t even study his favourite pottery art because there was a need for him to prepare for the ‘future of his family’s business’.

He was so talented that his teacher offered him scholarships and was going to have a talk with his parents but was politely turned down by Yifan. 

“They are my parents, I want to make them happy,” Yifan told his teacher.

His teacher gave him a comforting pat on his shoulder. Yifan didn’t like this, he wanted to grab this golden opportunity and venture out to the bright new world. That golden opportunity that belonged to him.

But he can’t.

---

A few days after Yifan graduated from university, his father looked away from his morning papers and spoke to him. It was the first time after that horrifying accident that nearly tore his family apart. Yifan nearly jumped in his seat, but he held back the excitement in his heart, his eyes slowly meeting his father’s.

“Yes, Dad,”

“Pack your things, you’re going to Beijing,” the old man took a sip of the black coffee.

Yifan finds it hard to understand his father’s words. It sounded like some foreign language that never existed.

His father went back to reading his papers and Yifan mutters a soft ‘why?’. His parents’ order was different this time, they had never asked Yifan to leave for some other place before.

“Don’t you remember that Xiao Lu is currently studying there?” his mother crossed her arms, disappointment written all over her face.

Yifan swallows before nodding his head. How could he ever forget that his little brother is in some foreign place, learning to be someone of his age again?

“Did something happen…?” Yifan rubbed his thighs nervously.

“Hopefully nothing does, we’re worried that he might be able to cope on his own, your father and I decided to send you there to keep a close eye on him,”

Yifan felt a heavy load lifted off his chest, Luhan is all right.

“But you won’t be living with him since he is living in the school’s dormitory, find yourself some place to stay,” his mother finished her words and gestured to the house maid to clear the table.

Yifan felt a rush of heat through his veins when a small thought came through his mind.

It’s too unfair.

One word from his parents and Yifan has to pack up and leave.

He wondered why he was still staying in this household, but that though quickly vanished when Yifan found himself opening his closet to pack his clothes. He took what he needed and was done in not more than 30 minutes. Pulling his luggage, Yifan made his way to the doorstep; he turned to have his last look at the place he had been living in for the past 24 years. He had a feeling that he wasn’t going to be stepping into the place for a long time.

You don’t have to listen to them. The voice in his head spoke.

But Yifan shuts his lids and turns away, he was half way to closing the door when his mother stopped him.

“Your father transferred money to your bank account, just use the money and find yourself a good place to stay, you don’t have to work too, since your father is going to transfer a fixed amount every month, just watch over Xiao Lu, that will be your only purpose there,”

Yifan took a glance at his mother and quickly nods.

‘Watch over him…my only purpose…but…for how long? What about my life?’  Yifan wondered as he watched his mother closing the door before him.

---

It took a staggering 13 hours flight for Yifan to arrive at the Beijing international airport on a chilly Sunday morning. Swinging his bag onto his back, Yifan pulled his luggage with another hand, walking at a painfully slow pace as his mind was off to somewhere else.

I should just check out and find myself a condominium apartment or something.

Yifan gave himself a little smile after giving a thought for his own marvellous plan. He could sense a sense of triumph as he was starting the day right and soon he will be able to meet his little brother, then to enjoy his deserved cup of Americano.

Wait - speaking of which, Yifan turned a little to inhale the aroma of the tar coloured drink.

Whoever is drinking that has got some good taste. Yifan thought.

But after that he finds himself taking it back.

"Hey! What--"

Right beside his ear, Yifan heard a voice of a male and a splash of hot liquid across the marbled floor. Yifan knew that he shouldn't have stopped.

He saw the stranger standing close to his back, one of his hands was still curved up as if he was still holding onto the coffee. Yifan took a second to look at the wasted drink on the floor than back to the stranger.

Pretty eyes his got there. Yifan mentally slaps himself after that.

The brown hair boy whom Yifan thinks is barely legal despite his designer clothing and bag, not mentioning his overpriced watch. Yifan sighed mentally, he definitely don't like what he's seeing.

"You owe me a cup of coffee and an apology," the beautiful stranger hissed, fingers now dusting off any remains of invisible coffee stains on his jacket.

Yifan doesn't reply as but there was a tiny bit of him where he wanted to say 'No, I don't', and amazingly, his does.

Awestruck by what he had heard, the boy's mouth formed a small 'o', his brown orbs staring at Yifan's. Yifan looked away nervously; no one had ever looked at him with so much intensity as if to swallow him alive.

There were murmurings of irritation as other passengers tried to make their way through the crowded airport with two surprisingly tall young men blocking their way. Well, Yifan was more of a wall.

Still staring at Yifan, Yixing didn't notice the middle aged lady behind him.

"Sickening brat," she spat and Yixing got elbowed as she stormed passed him.

With a soft yelp in his throat, Yixing fell forward, collapsing right into Yifan's sturdy chest. Just as instinctively, Yifan enveloped his arms around the other's waist. A fluttering feeling developed the pit of Yifan's stomach as the warmth of the other's breath tickled his neck, he didn't know what to do, to let go immediately or to hold on. Nonetheless, Yixing seemed to have it in mind that Yifan had just offended him and the dislike towards his so called 'saviour' was shown when he stumbled back onto his feet.

"That does not mean that I've forgiven you," Yixing pushed himself off Yifan before putting on his shades and storming off in the opposite direction. Leaving a dazed looking young man standing at the middle of the airport.

‘I don't like you too,’ Yifan mumbled as though the beautiful stranger had just said the same thing.

After that painful morning experience, Yifan avoided all human contact with strangers who seemed just as strange as they are called. Maybe that's why they were named after it, because not one but many have been bumping into him since the incident with the sparkly-eye dude. Yifan thinks it was due to his height but he wonders why a particular group of high school girls had to bump into him and squeal afterwards.

It made them sound so much like those anime characters that had shrunk till their voices changed.

Yifan hopped onto a taxi and was brought to a huge building that looked too much like a university rather than a special school for special individuals.

Unconvinced, Yifan pushed the glass door and approached the reception counter. Again it was a middle aged lady sitting at the counter, but she looked a hundred times friendlier than the one before.

“How can I help you?” she asked, her voice sounded like a kind mother.

“I…” Yifan struggled with his words, how he wished that his own mother would speak in the same manner when they talked.

At the corner of his eyes he caught someone sneaking towards him, there was a moment of hesitation until he saw that pair of deer-liked eyes.

“GEGE! You came!” a jumpy boy, just a year younger than him hugged him from behind, sending ‘Yifan wall’ to wobble along before standing properly again.

“Have you been a good boy?” Yifan shifted around so he could have a closer look at his brother’s features.

The boy nodded shyly, his pale cheeks emitting a hint of baby pink. Yifan smiled as he patted on Luhan’s soft strawberry blonde hair.

“Luhan! There you are!” a shorter male appeared from the classroom, beads of perspiration sliding down from his forehead.

In a flash, Luhan was hiding behind the ‘mighty Yifan wall’, small hands gripping on his brother’s dress shirt tightly. However, Yifan could see that playful look in his brother’s eyes; it wasn’t fear or anxiety, but pure happiness.

“Sigh…Lu ye*please come back for your lesson…” the baby faced man went nearer and held out his hand, waiting for Luhan to go with him.

Yifan awkwardly coughs and pries the small hand away from his waist, carefully placing them into Minseok’s.

Minseok finally realised that there was another person in front of him and bows immediately, forgetting that he was in China and not Korea. Yifan awkwardly bows back and the both of them starts to laugh at each other for being so polite for no reason. Luhan joins them in their little laughing session and giggles along.

Yifan wonders how long it had been since he had laughed along with others.

“Ni hao, I’m Minseok or you can call me Xiumin, I am Luhan’s teacher,” he held out his other hand for a hand shake.

“I’m Yifan, Luhan’s older brother, its nice meeting you,” Yifan took his hand.

---

Sipping on his cup of steaming hot Americano, Yifan scrolled through various sites, checking if there was any apartment for rent or better, for sale. From Minseok, he got to know that Luhan’s studies and treatments will take a good 5 years. He decided to take a slow stroll along the streets instead of sitting in the café; his long legs needed some stretching after all. The warmth from the coffee reminded him of the pretty-eyed stranger he met this morning, Yifan smiled unknowingly but soon waved off the thought when he reminded himself that it was just a stupid incident he encountered.

After scrolling through numerous advertisements, he stopped at one particular one. It fetched a good price and the location was just right beside Luhan’s school.

‘Jackpot,’ Yifan hummed as he quickly contacted the seller. He was a little surprised when the seller agreed immediately and the deal was made so quickly that Yifan swore that his luck was something to boast about. The seller even showed him some of the cars that he could purchase straight away and Yifan decided to get one pretty soon.

“Have a good stay,” the seller, a middle aged man handled him a pair of card keys to him. Yifan wondered if he had any affinity with middle aged people.

“Just in case if anyone was to move in with you,” the man said when he saw Yifan raising a brow at the extra card key.

Yifan smiled a little and the man left soon afterwards, leaving him to explore his new apartment. Everything was perfect to Yifan, the elegant white walls and curtains accompanied by the modern furniture and interior designs.

He took a glance at the pair of card keys in his palm.

“Seems like this place does deserve a second owner after all,”

---

replies:

@poppydoppy123: thank you! Hope it didn’t disappoint you! :D

@bokuhebi: aww thank you :DDD

@yunjaefor: haha! Yay! Let’s be friends! Krispylays! :D yep it will be little naughty lay XD

---

Note: Lu ye*- ye is something you add behind a person much older than you or you could say an elderly, mostly referring to the person you respect. It is mostly used in Chinese period dramas where the servants add a ye* at the back of their master’s surname or status. In this story, Minseok is calling Luhan, Lu ye* in a playful way as if he was begging him.

Ni hao – means hi in Chinese. (I know that everyone knows this one)  

A/n: THANK YOU ALL FOR SUBSCRIBING! I’M REALLY SHOCKED BY THE AMOUNT OF SUBSCRIBERS AND COMMENTS! IT’S THE POWER OF KRISPYLAYS! *REJOICE KRISPRLAYS SHIPPERS!* haha I was kidding XD haha still, thank you all again, I really appreciate your anticipation and support!

Sorry for the lack of KrisLay moments, more will be coming.

Warning: I won’t be able to update regularly (as in everyday) but I will try my best to come up with fluffy chapters.

If anyone is confused:

Luhan had his IQ reduced to a 12 year old due to the accident when they were young. He is trying to return to his age with the help of his teacher, Minseok.

Yes I know about the age differences but since it’s just a fiction, please overlook this and forgive me (laughs).

LEAVE ME SOME COMMENTS BEFORE YOU GO! THANK YOU FOR READING!

-Mika♥